What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New report shows Texas executed innocent man (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/21...aign=willingham

New Report Shows that Cameron Todd Willingham, Executed in Texas in 2004, Was Innocent

‘There can no longer be any doubt that an innocent person has been executed. The question now turns to how we can stop it from happening again,’ Innocence Project Co-Director Barry Scheck says

(NEW YORK; August 31, 2009) – An exhaustive new investigative report shows that Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in Texas in 2004, was innocent. The report comes three years after the Innocence Project released analysis from some of the nation’s leading forensic experts who found that the central evidence against Willingham was not valid. The Innocence Project also obtained public records showing that Texas officials ignored this evidence in the days leading up to Willingham’s execution.

Willingham was convicted of arson murder in 1992 and was executed in February 2004. His three young children died at a fire in the family’s Corsicana, Texas, home. At Willingham’s trial, forensic experts testified that evidence showed the fire was intentionally set. A jailhouse informant also testified against Willingham, and other circumstantial evidence was used against him.

A 16,000-word report in the September 7 issue of the New Yorker deconstructs every facet of the case, finding that none of the evidence against Willingham was valid. Prior to the New Yorker’s investigative report, by David Grann, the forensic science had been debunked as completely erroneous (including in a 2004 investigative report in the Chicago Tribune), but the other evidence was never examined closely.

“The New Yorker’s investigation lays out this case in its totality and leads to the inescapable conclusion that Willingham was innocent. There can no longer be any doubt that an innocent person has been executed,” said Innocence Project Co-Director Barry Scheck. “The question now turns to how we can stop it from happening again.”

“As long as our system of justice makes mistakes – including the ultimate mistake – we cannot continue executing people,” Scheck said. “This case also highlights serious problems with forensic science in this country. The vast majority of forensic scientists are honest, capable, hard-working professionals, but we aren’t giving them the tools they need to do the job. Congress needs to create a National Institute of Forensic Science that can spark research to determine the accuracy of forensic disciplines and set standards for how our system of justice uses science.”

In May 2006, the Innocence Project (which is affiliated with Cardozo School of Law) formally submitted the Willingham case to the Texas Forensic Science Commission, along with information about another arson case and a request that the panel order a review of arson convictions across the state. In the other arson case, Ernest Willis was convicted of an unrelated arson murder and sentenced to death in 1987, and he served 17 years in prison before he was exonerated. The May 2006 filing included a 48-page report from an independent five-member panel of some of the nation’s leading arson investigators, who reviewed more than 1,000 pages of evidence, testimony and official documents in the two cases.

In the report, the arson experts – with a combined 138 years of experience in the field – say that neither of the fires which Willingham and Willis were convicted of setting were arson. The expert report notes that the evidence and forensic analysis in the Willingham and Willis cases “were the same,” and that “each and every one” of the forensic interpretations that state experts made in both men’s trials have been proven scientifically invalid.

In 2007, the Texas Forensic Science Commission announced that it had accepted the Innocence Project’s complaint and would launch an investigation. The commission contracted with Craig Beyler, a widely respected arson expert, to conduct an independent review of the evidence. Last week, Beyler filed his report with the commission, finding that the forensic analysis in Willingham’s case was wrong. The commission announced that it is reviewing Beyler’s report and will review other evidence before issuing its conclusion next year.

“The Forensic Science Commission is still looking at this case and the broader issue of arson convictions statewide. Members of the commission are clearly taking this very seriously, carefully and thoughtfully, and they should have the space to do their work,” Scheck said. “The Forensic Science Commission is not going to determine whether an innocent man was executed. The New Yorker has already done that. The commission will determine what went wrong with the forensic analysis, how widespread the problem is and how we can be sure similar analysis is more reliable in the future.”
Full New Yorker Article

The forensic science used everyday in arson investigations has been proven to be seriously flawed. There is no proof behind widely accepted theories. Forensic science in this country as it is done today is pretty much a joke in almost every municipality in the country. We are only just now doing the actual science on everything except DNA evidence.

As for executing an innocent person simple statistics tell us he isn't the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is terrible. Personally, I am not opposed to the death penalty, in principle. But I think we should do away with it unless we can prove someone is guilty with 100% certainty. If we are unable to do that, then there should be no death penalty.

Texas seems to be having some problems with false convictions. I remember a few months ago an article posted about minorities being falsely convicted.

#### happens. Would I be correct in saying that 99% of people executed are guilty?
And that 1% doesn't bother you?
1 innocent person for every 99 murders, rapists and kidnappers is fine by me.
I find your viewpoint to be immoral.
Why? What if it was 1 innocent person for every 999 murders? Or ever 9999 murderers? You say you're okay with the death penalty in principle, but statistically it's impossible to be 100% sure of a person's guilt when they proclaim their own innocence. Why is it immoral to accept that as a matter of practicality a small number of innocent people may be executed, but it's perfectly okay to accept that a small number of innocent people may spend their lives behind bars?

I think giving government the legal authority to kill a citizen is a bad idea no matter the constitution of that citizen.

#### happens. Would I be correct in saying that 99% of people executed are guilty?
And that 1% doesn't bother you?
1 innocent person for every 99 murders, rapists and kidnappers is fine by me.
I find your viewpoint to be immoral.
Why? What if it was 1 innocent person for every 999 murders? Or ever 9999 murderers? You say you're okay with the death penalty in principle, but statistically it's impossible to be 100% sure of a person's guilt when they proclaim their own innocence. Why is it immoral to accept that as a matter of practicality a small number of innocent people may be executed, but it's perfectly okay to accept that a small number of innocent people may spend their lives behind bars?
life in a box is better than no life at all

Maybe, although I'm sure some would disagree. I just don't understand why timschochet thinks it's immoral to accept the inevitability of a wrongful execution, but it's not immoral to accept the inevitability of someone having his freedom permanently stolen by a similar wrongful conviction. I don't think he understands it either.

Why?

What if it was 1 innocent person for every 999 murders? Or ever 9999 murderers? You say you're okay with the death penalty in principle, but statistically it's impossible to be 100% sure of a person's guilt when they proclaim their own innocence.

Why is it immoral to accept that as a matter of practicality a small number of innocent people may be executed, but it's perfectly okay to accept that a small number of innocent people may spend their lives behind bars?
Well first off, I'm not OK with the bolded. I don't want ANY innocent people to be behind bars if I can help it. To answer your first point, I'm not concerned about statistical possibilities, I'm talking about a case by case basis. It is possible to be sure about an individual case. Charles Manson for instance; IMO, he should have been executed long ago. Obviously, the reason that we need to regard this differently is that death is final.I understand Skribbles' remarks are shared by a lot of people. I share them myself when it comes to war. Warfare always inevitably leads to the death of innocent people, and sometimes it's even deliberate- Hiroshima and Nagasaki, for example. I don't find those to be immoral acts, because they were necessary for a greater good. That's war; I am not a pacifist. But I do draw a distinction between those acts and the accidental executions of non-criminals. Those are not necessary, and you can't make a good argument (at least in my opinion) that they could be necessary. Therefore, they are acts of immorality to me.

If you believe nobody is innocent and everyone is a sinner, why would you care? Only if it was someone close to you.

Why?

What if it was 1 innocent person for every 999 murders? Or ever 9999 murderers? You say you're okay with the death penalty in principle, but statistically it's impossible to be 100% sure of a person's guilt when they proclaim their own innocence.

Why is it immoral to accept that as a matter of practicality a small number of innocent people may be executed, but it's perfectly okay to accept that a small number of innocent people may spend their lives behind bars?
Well first off, I'm not OK with the bolded. I don't want ANY innocent people to be behind bars if I can help it.
Do you oppose prison in general, because innocent people may be wrong convicted?

Why?

Well first off, I'm not OK with the bolded. I don't want ANY innocent people to be behind bars if I can help it. To answer your first point, I'm not concerned about statistical possibilities, I'm talking about a case by case basis. It is possible to be sure about an individual case. Charles Manson for instance; IMO, he should have been executed long ago. Obviously, the reason that we need to regard this differently is that death is final.I understand Skribbles' remarks are shared by a lot of people. I share them myself when it comes to war. Warfare always inevitably leads to the death of innocent people, and sometimes it's even deliberate- Hiroshima and Nagasaki, for example. I don't find those to be immoral acts, because they were necessary for a greater good. That's war; I am not a pacifist. But I do draw a distinction between those acts and the accidental executions of non-criminals. Those are not necessary, and you can't make a good argument (at least in my opinion) that they could be necessary. Therefore, they are acts of immorality to me.
So then we should set everyone free, right? I'd bet you there are a higher percentage of innocent people in jail than there are executed.

Maybe, although I'm sure some would disagree. I just don't understand why timschochet thinks it's immoral to accept the inevitability of a wrongful execution, but it's not immoral to accept the inevitability of someone having his freedom permanently stolen by a similar wrongful conviction. I don't think he understands it either.
Again, I don't think it's moral to accept either outcome. The execution, though, is worse.

Not to answer for Tim but both really suck. However we can at least release the wrongfully convicted when it comes to light. We still can't raise the dead the last time I checked.

The police kill innocent people, I'm not opposed to the police. We should have strict rules in place to cut down on the number of mistakes police make, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "i'd rather have no police at all, than have the police accidentally kill even 1 innocent person".

Not to answer for Tim but both really suck. However we can at least release the wrongfully convicted when it comes to light. We still can't raise the dead the last time I checked.
This is the essence of my argument. But accepting the inevitability of either in the name of some greater good is highly immoral, IMO.

This is the essence of my argument. But accepting the inevitability of either in the name of some greater good is highly immoral, IMO.
You just did.

I am against the death penalty because people are biggots, racist, homophobes, nationalistic and too weak minded to put all of that aside to render the true guilt of a person. No punishment should be so great that nothing can make up for it.

Death is final, prison is not.

Vaccines are a similar situation, in that we know that in a few cases, the vaccines may have adverse reactions in people with very rare genetic conditions, but we still administer them generally and accept that we can't be 100% sure that it'll work.

Other drugs are similar, and the allowable mortality rate for a drug correlates to the severity of the condition it's trying to treat.

Quite a few surgeries have high mortality rates, but they're acceptable in certain situations.

The police kill innocent people, I'm not opposed to the police. We should have strict rules in place to cut down on the number of mistakes police make, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "i'd rather have no police at all, than have the police accidentally kill even 1 innocent person".
I agree, but as in the case of war which I mentioned, this is NOT a good analogy. Those we have chosen to execute are already locked up. We do not have to be concerned with them committing other crimes. Therefore, there is no issue of public safety involved. The moral question becomes then, should they be executed, if their crimes were terrible enough.I say they should. But only if we're absolutely sure. If there is no way to be sure (and I'm not talking about statistics, I'm talking about each case on an individual basis, then we should not do it. And the idea that it's OK to do it because statistically the majority deserve it is, IMO, an immoral idea.

the New Yorker article is definitely worth reading.I found this part particularly interesting/disturbing:

Though only the babysitter had appeared as a witness for the defense during the main trial, several family members, including Stacy, testified during the penalty phase, asking the jury to spare Willingham’s life. When Stacy was on the stand, Jackson grilled her about the “significance” of Willingham’s “very large tattoo of a skull, encircled by some kind of a serpent.”“It’s just a tattoo,” Stacy responded.“He just likes skulls and snakes. Is that what you’re saying?”“No. He just had—he got a tattoo on him.”The prosecution cited such evidence in asserting that Willingham fit the profile of a sociopath, and brought forth two medical experts to confirm the theory. Neither had met Willingham. One of them was Tim Gregory, a psychologist with a master’s degree in marriage and family issues, who had previously gone goose hunting with Jackson, and had not published any research in the field of sociopathic behavior. His practice was devoted to family counselling.At one point, Jackson showed Gregory Exhibit No. 60—a photograph of an Iron Maiden poster that had hung in Willingham’s house—and asked the psychologist to interpret it. “This one is a picture of a skull, with a fist being punched through the skull,” Gregory said; the image displayed “violence” and “death.” Gregory looked at photographs of other music posters owned by Willingham. “There’s a hooded skull, with wings and a hatchet,” Gregory continued. “And all of these are in fire, depicting—it reminds me of something like Hell. And there’s a picture—a Led Zeppelin picture of a falling angel. . . . I see there’s an association many times with cultive-type of activities. A focus on death, dying. Many times individuals that have a lot of this type of art have interest in satanic-type activities.”The other medical expert was James P. Grigson, a forensic psychiatrist. He testified so often for the prosecution in capital-punishment cases that he had become known as Dr. Death. (A Texas appellate judge once wrote that when Grigson appeared on the stand the defendant might as well “commence writing out his last will and testament.”) Grigson suggested that Willingham was an “extremely severe sociopath,” and that “no pill” or treatment could help him. Grigson had previously used nearly the same words in helping to secure a death sentence against Randall Dale Adams, who had been convicted of murdering a police officer, in 1977. After Adams, who had no prior criminal record, spent a dozen years on death row—and once came within seventy-two hours of being executed—new evidence emerged that absolved him, and he was released. In 1995, three years after Willingham’s trial, Grigson was expelled from the American Psychiatric Association for violating ethics. The association stated that Grigson had repeatedly arrived at a “psychiatric diagnosis without first having examined the individuals in question, and for indicating, while testifying in court as an expert witness, that he could predict with 100-per-cent certainty that the individuals would engage in future violent acts.”

I agree, but as in the case of war which I mentioned, this is NOT a good analogy. Those we have chosen to execute are already locked up. We do not have to be concerned with them committing other crimes. Therefore, there is no issue of public safety involved. The moral question becomes then, should they be executed, if their crimes were terrible enough.I say they should. But only if we're absolutely sure. If there is no way to be sure (and I'm not talking about statistics, I'm talking about each case on an individual basis, then we should not do it. And the idea that it's OK to do it because statistically the majority deserve it is, IMO, an immoral idea.
The issue isn't about being locked up or not, or about being a public threat or not, it's about accepting a system which is flawed. One where innocent people might be wrongfully punished, or even killed.The police certainly fall under that category.

Since 1976, more than a hundred and thirty people on death row have been exonerated. DNA testing, which was developed in the eighties, saved seventeen of them, but the technique can be used only in rare instances. Barry Scheck, a co-founder of the Innocence Project, which has used DNA testing to exonerate prisoners, estimates that about eighty per cent of felonies do not involve biological evidence.

Vaccines are a similar situation, in that we know that in a few cases, the vaccines may have adverse reactions in people with very rare genetic conditions, but we still administer them generally and accept that we can't be 100% sure that it'll work.Other drugs are similar, and the allowable mortality rate for a drug correlates to the severity of the condition it's trying to treat.Quite a few surgeries have high mortality rates, but they're acceptable in certain situations.
When you are forced by the state to do those things then that would be an apt comparison.

The issue isn't about being locked up or not, or about being a public threat or not, it's about accepting a system which is flawed. One where innocent people might be wrongfully punished, or even killed.The police certainly fall under that category.
In certain instances we must accept a flawed system, though it remains immoral to overlook the flaws. We should do our best to fix them, and that's what I meant when I suggested that it is immoral to accept inevitablilty. Let's do what we can to make it better.But in the case of executions, we don't have to accept a flawed outcome. To do so is final.

the New Yorker article is definitely worth reading.I found this part particularly interesting/disturbing:

Though only the babysitter had appeared as a witness for the defense during the main trial, several family members, including Stacy, testified during the penalty phase, asking the jury to spare Willingham’s life. When Stacy was on the stand, Jackson grilled her about the “significance” of Willingham’s “very large tattoo of a skull, encircled by some kind of a serpent.”“It’s just a tattoo,” Stacy responded.“He just likes skulls and snakes. Is that what you’re saying?”“No. He just had—he got a tattoo on him.”The prosecution cited such evidence in asserting that Willingham fit the profile of a sociopath, and brought forth two medical experts to confirm the theory. Neither had met Willingham. One of them was Tim Gregory, a psychologist with a master’s degree in marriage and family issues, who had previously gone goose hunting with Jackson, and had not published any research in the field of sociopathic behavior. His practice was devoted to family counselling.At one point, Jackson showed Gregory Exhibit No. 60—a photograph of an Iron Maiden poster that had hung in Willingham’s house—and asked the psychologist to interpret it. “This one is a picture of a skull, with a fist being punched through the skull,” Gregory said; the image displayed “violence” and “death.” Gregory looked at photographs of other music posters owned by Willingham. “There’s a hooded skull, with wings and a hatchet,” Gregory continued. “And all of these are in fire, depicting—it reminds me of something like Hell. And there’s a picture—a Led Zeppelin picture of a falling angel. . . . I see there’s an association many times with cultive-type of activities. A focus on death, dying. Many times individuals that have a lot of this type of art have interest in satanic-type activities.”The other medical expert was James P. Grigson, a forensic psychiatrist. He testified so often for the prosecution in capital-punishment cases that he had become known as Dr. Death. (A Texas appellate judge once wrote that when Grigson appeared on the stand the defendant might as well “commence writing out his last will and testament.”) Grigson suggested that Willingham was an “extremely severe sociopath,” and that “no pill” or treatment could help him. Grigson had previously used nearly the same words in helping to secure a death sentence against Randall Dale Adams, who had been convicted of murdering a police officer, in 1977. After Adams, who had no prior criminal record, spent a dozen years on death row—and once came within seventy-two hours of being executed—new evidence emerged that absolved him, and he was released. In 1995, three years after Willingham’s trial, Grigson was expelled from the American Psychiatric Association for violating ethics. The association stated that Grigson had repeatedly arrived at a “psychiatric diagnosis without first having examined the individuals in question, and for indicating, while testifying in court as an expert witness, that he could predict with 100-per-cent certainty that the individuals would engage in future violent acts.”
Why are these people not in jail?

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, in 2006, voted with a majority to uphold the death penalty in a Kansas case. In his opinion, Scalia declared that, in the modern judicial system, there has not been “a single case—not one—in which it is clear that a person was executed for a crime he did not commit. If such an event had occurred in recent years, we would not have to hunt for it; the innocent’s name would be shouted from the rooftops.”

Grigson should be in jail.

Gregory looked at photographs of other music posters owned by Willingham. “There’s a hooded skull, with wings and a hatchet,” Gregory continued. “And all of these are in fire, depicting—it reminds me of something like Hell. And there’s a picture—a Led Zeppelin picture of a falling angel. . . . I see there’s an association many times with cultive-type of activities. A focus on death, dying. Many times individuals that have a lot of this type of art have interest in satanic-type activities.”
Good god. The Texas judicial system sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread