What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Single Payer. $91 Billion. (2 Viewers)

That doesn't tell you anything about the avg. profit margin. It just lists a bunch of industries and cuts off at where health insurance comes in. Collectively corporate profits average about 6.5% historically. High margin industries like finance and high tech are typically in the high teens to low twenties, some industries are negative.
Exactly, which is about twice what health insurance companies on average have as a profit margin.  That's my point. 

And yet still close to average when the range is >20% to -20%
What are you talking about?  Direct from you "collectively corporate profits average about 6.5% historically."  As the health insurance industry averages about 3.5%, that's not "still close to average" by any means......you know, unless you want to double it. 

It can always be worse. 
Not according to Trump

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Follow

More

Of course the Australians have better healthcare than we do --everybody does. ObamaCare is dead! But our healthcare will soon be great.
 Also, everyone I spoke with from Canada while on a recent Spring Break trip laughed when my dad asked if they wanted to trade health care with us.  

Literally laughed.  And then we drank more beer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And also for the sake of argument, put aside all questions of efficiency, keeping your doctor, etc. Assume that all of that is satisfactory.
There is absolutely no reason to believe this would or could ever be true in a Govt run healthcare system. It makes no sense to just assume these things away, they are crucial issues.

I doubt this passes the NY Senate so this probably a moot discussion, but 

1.  If Obamacare is repealed and not replaced with something equivalent, would a ton of sick people move to NY?

2.  I assume NY would still use the existing insurance companies to pay the claims.  Anyone know if this is true or not?  

3.  The big problem with government insurance is fraud.  Medicare fraud is 10 percent.  There are no figures for private insurance companies but it is assumed the percentage is much less.

Not according to Trump

Follow

More

Of course the Australians have better healthcare than we do --everybody does. ObamaCare is dead! But our healthcare will soon be great.
 Also, everyone I spoke with from Canada while on a recent Spring Break trip laughed when my dad asked if they wanted to trade health care with us.  

Trump is an idiot. What does that have to do with anything?

Canadian healthcare works for some, not for others... same as everywhere else. If any country believes they've actually solved healthcare, they either don't fully understand it and are just on the lucky side of things, or they're just circle jerking. I've worked in healthcare for years, there is no panacea. 

There is absolutely no reason to believe this would or could ever be true in a Govt run healthcare system. It makes no sense to just assume these things away, they are crucial issues.
So unless we go off your assumptions, you don't want to talk. Got it.  

#### Pharma, #### Insurance, and #### Pill Pushing Docs.  

Single payer all the way for me.  

Trump is an idiot. What's that have to do with anything?

Canadian healthcare works for some, not for others... same as everywhere else. If any country believes they've actually healthcare, they either don't fully understand things and are just on the lucky side of things, or they're just circle jerking. I've worked in healthcare for years, there is no panacea. 
Do you know of any country that went single payer and then went back to private "for profit" healthcare?  I don't know of one?

Do you know of any country that went single payer and then went back to private "for profit" healthcare?  I don't know of one?
Again, if they're saying single payer solves everything, they're just on the "winning" side. If they're on the winning side, why change?  It's the same problem here. 

Also one policy that might work for one country, might not fit another.  All I said is that there is no solution where everyone wins, period. 

Not according to Trump

Follow

More

As mentioned above, Trump is a moron.  And an ###.  And a lot of other things.  He has no idea what he's talking about.

As for Canada, as mentioned already - it works for some and not for others.  Example - as of 2015 there were about 9.5 MRI machines per million Canadians - while here in the US we had about 39 MRI machines per million people (4x as many).  Same idea holds true for CT scanners and such.  If you're one that generally needs those type of things, they are much easier to come by, and without much wait here than there.  Just one simple example.  

Country, no - but I never looked.  State (nearly getting there and then turning back, so not full out went there and turned out), yes.  Vermont. 

No idea what you are talking about. Tim stated a grossly unrealistic assumption, and I commented on that.

Man, you're reading right from the talking points list, huh?

#### Pharma and "pill-pushing" docs?  Yeah, I hate that ever increasing life expectancy - (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy). Living longer is such a bummer.  Do you think that happens without Docs and medicine?

Also #### insurance?  Do you even know how it works for most people?  Most insurance is ASO nowadays. In other words, your company sets the rules, the insurance companies just enforce the guidelines that your company sets forth and act as the bad guys.  

Again, if they're saying single payer solves everything, they're just on the "winning" side. If they're on the winning side, why change?  It's the same problem here. 

Also one policy that might work for one country, might not fit another.  All I said is that there is no solution where everyone wins, period. 
I agree with that.  But right now it's pretty obvious that our medical industry is slanted to make sure those with money win more consistently than those without.  And that's bull####.  

Man, you're reading right from the talking points list, huh?

#### Pharma and "pill-pushing" docs?  Yeah, I hate that ever increasing life expectancy - (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy). Living longer is such a bummer.  Do you think that happens without Docs and medicine?

Also #### insurance?  Do you even know how it works for most people?  Most insurance is ASO nowadays. In other words, your company sets the rules, the insurance companies just enforce the guidelines that your company sets forth and act as the bad guys.  
Nah.  I don't really do the talking points thing.  

My experience is more personal than that.  I watched how my mom was used by the medical industry for profit.  Cancer! Yay! Let's do all kinds of tests and drugs! Then more tests...and don't forget the false hope.  What was that?  Feeling better?  Here let's do a PET scan even though you are stage 4 just about everywhere in your body.  Do you need pain killers?  Sure we have all you need.  Can we do some more tests? 

Living longer is great.  But then you have people saying .... well entitlements like you know healthcare and enough money for food are a problem.  So what do you want everyony to be 90 and starving or in pain?  

Those poor insurance companies.  Poor guys.  Barely squeaking by?  It must be nice to have a law enacted that makes the populace pay you.  That's lobby power.  

As mentioned above, Trump is a moron.  And an ###.  And a lot of other things.  He has no idea what he's talking about.

As for Canada, as mentioned already - it works for some and not for others.  Example - as of 2015 there were about 9.5 MRI machines per million Canadians - while here in the US we had about 39 MRI machines per million people (4x as many).  Same idea holds true for CT scanners and such.  If you're one that generally needs those type of things (and can afford it), they are much easier to come by, and without much wait here than there.  Just one simple example.  
FYP.

Those poor insurance companies.  Poor guys.  Barely squeaking by?  It must be nice to have a law enacted that makes the populace pay you.  That's lobby power.  
I have no idea how you got that from what I typed?  I also have no idea what you're referring to?  Obamacare?  The insurance companies didn't win with Obamacare, that's why you saw them dropping out of the exchanges.  I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how insurance companies work. 

I don't think it's fair to compare the lobbying establishment now with the limited lobbying that would occur under single payer.  
I don't think it would be limited.  They are lobbying for favorable conditions/regulations from the government.  That's not going to change with single payer.

I doubt this passes the NY Senate so this probably a moot discussion, but 

1.  If Obamacare is repealed and not replaced with something equivalent, would a ton of sick people move to NY?

2.  I assume NY would still use the existing insurance companies to pay the claims.  Anyone know if this is true or not?  

3.  The big problem with government insurance is fraud.  Medicare fraud is 10 percent.  There are no figures for private insurance companies but it is assumed the percentage is much less.
BCBS in Michigan has investigated 51000 cases of fraud and recovered almost half a billion in the last year. That's just one state. I am going to guess private insurance has roughly the same level.of issue Medicare does.

Well yeah, tons of carriers have.  The one I posted was literally made public an hour before I posted it - which I had just read prior to reading his post.  Reading the two back to back made me laugh. 
I wasn't meaning to undercut your article, just adding to it since a previous contention a few posts up was that insurance companies were having a windfall of profits from Obamacare. 

By the way I am not sure individual states going with single payer will work fiscally. I think it to be national in scope to be affordable.

By the way I am not sure individual states going with single payer will work fiscally. I think it to be national in scope to be affordable.
New York and CA probably have the size and demographics to pull it off, but it's not an ideal approach. 

I voted for the single payer plan in CO but mostly as a generic vote in favor universal coverage. I don't think the plan itself as designed was a particularly good one.

My experience is more personal than that.  I watched how my mom was used by the medical industry for profit.  Cancer! Yay! Let's do all kinds of tests and drugs! Then more tests...and don't forget the false hope.  What was that?  Feeling better?  Here let's do a PET scan even though you are stage 4 just about everywhere in your body.  Do you need pain killers?  Sure we have all you need.  Can we do some more tests? 

Living longer is great.  But then you have people saying .... well entitlements like you know healthcare and enough money for food are a problem.  So what do you want everyony to be 90 and starving or in pain?  

I have tremendous sympathy for you over your Mother's treatment.  However, I think your frustration is misdirected.  What you are describing is why many people advocate for tort reform.  Many providers have become conditioned to implement X treatment plan because to deviate is to potentially expose oneself to tremendous liability.  It's unfortunate but I think it's more of a legal problem than it is a healthcare problem.  I certainly don't think it's an issue that would be changed by single payer.  

One of the concerns of a government run/single payer system is the prioritization of who gets care and who doesn't. In your mother's case she probably wouldn't have had all those tests.

I'm all for this. My wife and I pay about $700 a month for "meh" coverage (3k deductible/etc). Pretty sure my taxes won't go up that much.

Yes, it's lousy for the people who have great plans from their job. But you know, those are few and far between these days, and yes, they will be going away as time goes on.  We used to have great coverage. Then last year my wife's job said "can't afford it anymore", and we went from Platinum to Silver. 
They are?  It's roughly half the country.
You missed the word "great", which changes the entire context. 

Yes, lots of people have coverage through work. And I would wager most of them would be better off with some kind of single payer system. There are a few, like an earlier poster, who pay $500 a month for excellent coverage for a family of four. Yea, he loses. That's what I was referring to. 

Canadian healthcare works for some, not for others... same as everywhere else. If any country believes they've actually solved healthcare, they either don't fully understand it and are just on the lucky side of things, or they're just circle jerking. I've worked in healthcare for years, there is no panacea. 
:goodposting:

It might work in low population states with unemployment rates on the lower side.  Take South Dakota.  Less than a million people, with an unemployment rate of 2.8%. In a situation where there is less potential for "free loaders" or abusers of the system, a managed state-run single payer with clearly defined guidelines might work.

Not to mention there is less potential for a bunch of drama queen protesters to ruin it (read: make coverage more expansive/expensive).

Managing a pool of 800,000 people HAS to be easier than managing a pool of 5 million (and several million more undocumented)

Why?  There are health insurance companies that operate in just a few counties of western NY that do all right.  Bigger is always better for insurance.  And who says it has to be affordable?

If it is enacted and fails in NY, it will be because of corruption IMO.  The way things work in this state is companies bribe politicians for contracts and then charge whatever they want to do the work.  See the Buffalo Billion and Ciminelli....

I have no idea how you got that from what I typed?  I also have no idea what you're referring to?  Obamacare?  The insurance companies didn't win with Obamacare, that's why you saw them dropping out of the exchanges.  I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how insurance companies work. 
I am required by law to have car insurance too.  Nothing to do with Obamacare.  

One of the concerns of a government run/single payer system is the prioritization of who gets care and who doesn't. In your mother's case she probably wouldn't have had all those tests.
Right.  She'd have died at around the same time.  Would not have been fed a steady drip of morphine and hope.  

If business is so tough for insurance companies how can they afford to pay politicians all that money?  You'd think they'd tighten down the marketing budget.  

Sabertooth said:
If business is so tough for insurance companies how can they afford to pay politicians all that money?  You'd think they'd tighten down the marketing budget.  
This isn't going to stop whether its a Democrat or Republican plan.

Sabertooth said:
You're all over the place. What does car insurance have to do with health insurance?

You're all over the place. What does car insurance have to do with health insurance?
I pretty much think all insurance is a scam.  They basically have a legal mandate that you have to pay them.  That's bull####.  

I can buy a car with my own money.

I cannot legally drive that car, on the road my taxes pay for unless, I pay some private company for a piece of paper.  And then this company gets to use the money I paid them to fight me if I try to make a claim.  

I pretty much think all insurance is a scam.  They basically have a legal mandate that you have to pay them.  That's bull####.  

I cannot legally drive that car, on the road my taxes pay for unless, I pay some private company for a piece of paper.  And then this company gets to use the money I paid them to fight me if I try to make a claim.  
There are only two reasons you need car insurance. 

1. You hurt someone or their property with your car

2. You don't fully own your car. 

You can control 2, but not 1.  

Youre so wrong here, it's painful. 

Sabertooth said:
However, you are not required to have a service maintenance plan for your car. That is probably a better comparison to a medical plan.

Maybe you just need a different insurance company. I have never had a problem getting my claims covered. In fact most of the hassle is probably between the insurance company and the body shop on the supplementals.

There are only two reasons you need car insurance. 

1. You hurt someone or their property with your car

2. You don't fully own your car. 

You can control 2, but not 1.  

Youre so wrong here, it's painful. 
How about if you sign a piece of paper saying you won't do #1?

I think you are just agreeing to pay the insurance company now and if you do #1 then "they will" pay then.
yeah, i was being a bit snarky there...sorry.

Obviously, a promise to not have an "accident" is counter-intuitive and not something I want to give people a chance to do.

Sabertooth said:
Well, no, you're actually not required by law to have car insurance.  For example, I suspect that very few residents of Manhattan have car insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread