What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

which leads directly to brokehood.

how's your's doing? is she still in the city or school in brklyn?
She's still at Manhattan Plaza, last year of PS3. Just moved up to Technique B in pre-professional ballet. She's been dancing 8 years and playing piano 6. 

She's crushing life, everything is easy. Cute and quiet, only girl in Lego Robotics, does well in all her STEM classes.

Gonna be interesting to see which way she goes because she is well rounded. #notsohumblebraggert

Trying to figure out where to go for middle school. Probably MS 297 (that new one at 75 Morton) or PPAS in Hell's Kitchen.

Great kid.

She's still at Manhattan Plaza, last year of PS3. Just moved up to Technique B in pre-professional ballet. She's been dancing 8 years and playing piano 6. 

She's crushing life, everything is easy. Cute and quiet, only girl in Lego Robotics, does well in all her STEM classes.

Gonna be interesting to see which way she goes because she is well rounded. #notsohumblebraggert

Trying to figure out where to go for middle school. Probably MS 297 (that new one at 75 Morton) or PPAS in Hell's Kitchen.

Great kid.
thanks- great to hear. sounds like an amazing chip off the old wife's block.

morton st sounds good (even if new and still figuring stuff out- like the arts, where they couldn't answer a single question for us last year about whether there'd be theater or music). lots of smart and nice ps11 kids are going there.

floppinho got a call-back for PPAS, but ultimately ranked it low after touring, which put him out of the running (had to rank it 1st to get in- 2 of his class-mates go there)... didn't seem academically challenging enough (high school kids were doing the same math he had already done in 5th grade... and ps11 doesn't move past grade curriculum... so not speeding into anything crazy)- and the HS kid helping guide the tour was a blithering idiot. but seems a great place for kids that are already working in the business or think that'll be their road. amazingly talented kids there, but I'd supplement her academics if she went. and she can always leave at HS if it's not working for her. 

did she look into ballet tech? one of floppinho's friends got in there- almost went, but got into salk last minute and decided to go there instead and continue her ballet as an extracurricular. such a commitment so young.

but speaking of, we've been fortunate/happy at special music school so far- the academics seem on point, and his music is flourishing... nothing like getting two free lessons a week as part of your school day (along with theory and music history). 

the beauty of district 2 is that you'd have to work harder to find a bad school than the one that's just right- lots of really solid choices out there. and sounds like she'll do great wherever she goes.

morton st sounds good (even if new and still figuring stuff out- like the arts, where they couldn't answer a single question for us last year about whether there'd be theater or music). lots of smart and nice ps11 kids are going there.

floppinho got a call-back for PPAS, but ultimately ranked it low after touring, which put him out of the running (had to rank it 1st to get in- 2 of his class-mates go there)... didn't seem academically challenging enough (high school kids were doing the same math he had already done in 5th grade... and ps11 doesn't move past grade curriculum... so not speeding into anything crazy)- and the HS kid helping guide the tour was a blithering idiot. but seems a great place for kids that are already working in the business or think that'll be their road. amazingly talented kids there, but I'd supplement her academics if she went. and she can always leave at HS if it's not working for her. 

did she look into ballet tech? one of floppinho's friends got in there- almost went, but got into salk last minute and decided to go there instead and continue her ballet as an extracurricular. such a commitment so young.

but speaking of, we've been fortunate/happy at special music school so far- the academics seem on point, and his music is flourishing... nothing like getting two free lessons a week as part of your school day (along with theory and music history). 

the beauty of district 2 is that you'd have to work harder to find a bad school than the one that's just right- lots of really solid choices out there. and sounds like she'll do great wherever she goes.
Yeah we're looking at a half dozen seriously and a couple more that are a pipedream ($) but I think it'll come down to those two. For K-5 we visited 22 schools so this seems tame so far. 

:D

Is Ssam Bar the same thing as Noodle Bar? I think Ko is just deserts, right? But, yeah, Mr. Chang has quite the little empire going on.

ETA: In Chelsea (near 8th 22/21) there's Momfuku Nishi (Italian) and Momfuku Milk Bar. Knew about - have not been - the latter but not the former.
I think there's a new sandwich place in TWC that he also just opened that has a street truck type menu/feel. 

Don't know if mentioned that Blue Water Grille finally closed, after years of impending closure. One of our favorite spots- combo of great menu, great meal, great space for not a ton of money (pricey, but not killer pricey- a fantastic middle class "nice meal" spot.).

This and Schiller's are real gutpunches for us in terms of losing go-to place that we love and even our kids love.

The wife texts me today- guess what's taking it's place? Duane Reade or bank? No. ####### chick fil a. That's what this city has turned into a. The ####### suburbs, but with tiny expensive real estate.

Is Ssam Bar the same thing as Noodle Bar? I think Ko is just deserts, right? But, yeah, Mr. Chang has quite the little empire going on.

ETA: In Chelsea (near 8th 22/21) there's Momfuku Nishi (Italian) and Momfuku Milk Bar. Knew about - have not been - the latter but not the former.
They are all different.  I’ve only been to ssam bar and ko.  Ko is a tasting menu like 21 courses.  Ssam bar is more laid back.  Really good place for a large group as their large format menu is nice(the pork butt).

Don't know if mentioned that Blue Water Grille finally closed, after years of impending closure. One of our favorite spots- combo of great menu, great meal, great space for not a ton of money (pricey, but not killer pricey- a fantastic middle class "nice meal" spot.).

This and Schiller's are real gutpunches for us in terms of losing go-to place that we love and even our kids love.

The wife texts me today- guess what's taking it's place? Duane Reade or bank? No. ####### chick fil a. That's what this city has turned into a. The ####### suburbs, but with tiny expensive real estate.
####

Agreed with Schillers and Blue Water.  Also sad to see Coffee Shop go.   Affordable casual dining and good people watching.  Remember having pretty good luck picking up various Brazilian model type waitresses there :kicksrock:

Agreed with Schillers and Blue Water.  Also sad to see Coffee Shop go.   Affordable casual dining and good people watching.  Remember having pretty good luck picking up various Brazilian model type waitresses there :kicksrock:
You knew Union Square was in trouble when freaking Starbucks was priced out of their corner space a few years back. They got a landlord incentive to move into the NYU building down the street and cut their rent by a third. It will be tough for any real restaurant to survive there now. 

Levain Bakery cookies...worth the hype? 

Will be at a hotel a couple blocks away Friday night for my wife's birthday. Chocolate chip cookies are pretty much her favorite thing in the world, and I'm an early riser so going there and waiting in line while she's still sleeping isn't really a problem for me if they're actually that good.

Will be at a hotel a couple blocks away Friday night for my wife's birthday. Chocolate chip cookies are pretty much her favorite thing in the world, and I'm an early riser so going there and waiting in line while she's still sleeping isn't really a problem for me if they're actually that good.
thye're the worst*

never heard of them. but even the idea of getting up and waiting in line for the wife while she's sleeping seems like a genuinely nice, and hopefully appreciated, thing to do. and how bad can a bakery made chocolate chip cookie be?

thye're the worst*

never heard of them. but even the idea of getting up and waiting in line for the wife while she's sleeping seems like a genuinely nice, and hopefully appreciated, thing to do. and how bad can a bakery made chocolate chip cookie be?
Yeah I'm gonna do it. I was just reminded of that whole "cronut" phase and those were dog####.

Best cookies I’ve ever eaten. They are actually more like brownies in terms of size / texture. Definitely worth checking out. The location on W 74th typically has a line, but when I’ve gone it’s been less than 15 minutes. 

Yeah I'm gonna do it. I was just reminded of that whole "cronut" phase and those were dog####.
that ####### place. I had a client around the corner... didn't matter when I went- those ####### things were sold out. 

tried one at a different place on 10th st- chickalicious- and it was really good. 

supermoon bakery on rivington around the corner from me has some fantastic croissant and muffin inspired pastries that they change regularly- but waaaay too many instagrammers in there.

that ####### place. I had a client around the corner... didn't matter when I went- those ####### things were sold out. 

tried one at a different place on 10th st- chickalicious- and it was really good. 

supermoon bakery on rivington around the corner from me has some fantastic croissant and muffin inspired pastries that they change regularly- but waaaay too many instagrammers in there.
Love chickalicious.  Good to know its still going strong.  Practically lived next door in an old brownstone for a few years.  

Love chickalicious.  Good to know its still going strong.  Practically lived next door in an old brownstone for a few years.  
haven't been in a while, tbh. there was a period when we were going a lot- they had some kind of pudding thing going that was #### that's delicious. I want to say it was one of those spots that pregant-wife would send me to 8 years ago. no wonder floppinha has such a sweet-tooth.

haven't been in a while, tbh. there was a period when we were going a lot- they had some kind of pudding thing going that was #### that's delicious. I want to say it was one of those spots that pregant-wife would send me to 8 years ago. no wonder floppinha has such a sweet-tooth.
Haha.  Similar experience with my ex.  Seemed like after a meal I was often sent there to get something to go.  Had to put my foot down when I realized I was spending a few hundred on dessert every month....After we broke up, it became a staple for single Major.  "Hey I know this great dessert place close by".  "Heyyyy, I live down the street and have a great bottle of red I've been meaning to try". 

Update...Levain was worth it. There actually wasn't even a hint of a line at about 8:30 but it still would have been worth it if there was.

What was less fun was going to get my car after checking out of the hotel (left wife in the lobby) and finding it gone from where I parked it on Riverside between 73rd and 74th. Call 311 to confirm it was towed and not stolen. The impound lot was surprisingly not as terrible of an experience as I expected.

####ers claim I was parked in the bus lane and my ticket says my car was 30 ft north of the 73rd st intersection. If I had to guess I would say I was 100 ft away and I was actually directly under a street cleaning sign. 

Update...Levain was worth it. There actually wasn't even a hint of a line at about 8:30 but it still would have been worth it if there was.

What was less fun was going to get my car after checking out of the hotel (left wife in the lobby) and finding it gone from where I parked it on Riverside between 73rd and 74th. Call 311 to confirm it was towed and not stolen. The impound lot was surprisingly not as terrible of an experience as I expected.

####ers claim I was parked in the bus lane and my ticket says my car was 30 ft north of the 73rd st intersection. If I had to guess I would say I was 100 ft away and I was actually directly under a street cleaning sign. 
cool on the cookies. will have to check them out if I'm ever up there (floppinho's school is close- 67th st)

ugh on the impound. that must have been a dinger too...

$185 for the tow...actually surprised that wasn't worse either. Another $115 for the ticket.

I went on Google maps and measured the distances based on street photos. The street cleaning sign I referenced was 95 ft from the intersection, so I was pretty close. Looking at where 30 feet gets you is a complete joke, that **** could have at least tried to make it believable.

$185 for the tow...actually surprised that wasn't worse either. Another $115 for the ticket.

I went on Google maps and measured the distances based on street photos. The street cleaning sign I referenced was 95 ft from the intersection, so I was pretty close. Looking at where 30 feet gets you is a complete joke, that **** could have at least tried to make it believable.
you could probably contest it and win.

this is the kind of stuff that used to happen in the wild west late 80s early 90s under dinkins- mugged for a pair of sneakers (granted- $950 sneakers!? wtf.) down the street from me.

I was trying to explain to my wife that I've been feeling less safe lately- not scared, but just a shift in the tide. creeping quality of life stuff that goes along with homelessness and having cops be less aggressive about policing... increased shows of aggression publicly along with stupid little stuff like smoking in public spaces. she wasn't buying it- but this is exactly the kind of thing that begets worse stuff.

you could probably contest it and win.
I went back today around lunch and took pictures. I'm sure I'll be told that it's useless since I could be lying about where my car was but it'll be worth a shot. 

What I can guarantee though is that there's no way my car would have gone 5 hours without being ticketed/towed (based on the ticket time) if I was as in the middle of the bus stop as they claim. 

RUSF18 said:
I went back today around lunch and took pictures. I'm sure I'll be told that it's useless since I could be lying about where my car was but it'll be worth a shot. 

What I can guarantee though is that there's no way my car would have gone 5 hours without being ticketed/towed (based on the ticket time) if I was as in the middle of the bus stop as they claim. 
my friends who contest tickets go to court on the given day, and the cop never shows up- so their cases get dismissed. 

if you brought a briefcase full of exhibits- and I'd include selfies, pictures of your latest meal, you at the gym, etc, to go with the pictures of the bus stop... you're guarnteed to get let off.

RUSF18 said:

No joke.... I parked on 20th and 3rd years back... Overnight.   The next day Crews come in and installed Pay meters....

BAM.... within hours I have a ticket on my car..

What kind of POS writes tickets as the crews are installing meters....  I found the guy and he just gave me the number to complain.

Of course, I got out of it But, the hoops they make you jump thru...... I'm always leery of where I park - Last week I parked on 20th across from the police station, even asked a cop.... Is this ok?   Of course the guy was clueless....

No joke.... I parked on 20th and 3rd years back... Overnight.   The next day Crews come in and installed Pay meters....

What kind of POS writes tickets as the crews are installing meters....  I found the guy and he just gave me the number to complain.

Of course, I got out of it But, the hoops they make you jump thru...... I'm always leery of where I park - Last week I parked on 20th across from the police station, even asked a cop.... Is this ok?   Of course the guy was clueless....
Saw that happen on the news recently. Someone's security camera showed the car parking like 8am, crews installing a No Parking sign around 9am and the car getting towed around 10am.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I moved to Bed Stuy, Nostrand was under construction for the entire first year.  There weren't any parking signs on either side of the street so it was pretty sweet. Parking was plentiful. We flew to New Orleans for a wedding.  When I came back they had installed no parking signs from 10am-7pm EVERY DAY and I had 4 tickets and a boot.  

Good times.  

my friends who contest tickets go to court on the given day, and the cop never shows up- so their cases get dismissed. 

if you brought a briefcase full of exhibits- and I'd include selfies, pictures of your latest meal, you at the gym, etc, to go with the pictures of the bus stop... you're guarnteed to get let off.
I filed the dispute online and submitted pics and a screenshot of a timestamped text I sent my wife saying I had just parked. I made sure to say that the "time of offense" listed on the ticket was the best evidence that the ticket was BS. No shot they would let my car sit in the middle of a bus stop for 4.5 hours without getting ticketed/towed.

Apparently people have some luck doing it online and this way I'm not burning a day off or wanting to blow my brains out when I get ruled against in person.

I filed the dispute online and submitted pics and a screenshot of a timestamped text I sent my wife saying I had just parked. I made sure to say that the "time of offense" listed on the ticket was the best evidence that the ticket was BS. No shot they would let my car sit in the middle of a bus stop for 4.5 hours without getting ticketed/towed.

Apparently people have some luck doing it online and this way I'm not burning a day off or wanting to blow my brains out when I get ruled against in person.
I'm disappointed. I really think you need to go to court with a bag full of evidence and folders

I'm not sure its worth the time and hassle of actually going to court but if NYC allows you to contest online, its worth a shot.  I've won every case I've contested online in other cities (providing photos, etc).  Worth looking into.  EDIT:  didn't read the rest of the thread.  Glad you're taking this action.  

this is the kind of stuff that used to happen in the wild west late 80s early 90s under dinkins- mugged for a pair of sneakers (granted- $950 sneakers!? wtf.) down the street from me.

I was trying to explain to my wife that I've been feeling less safe lately- not scared, but just a shift in the tide. creeping quality of life stuff that goes along with homelessness and having cops be less aggressive about policing... increased shows of aggression publicly along with stupid little stuff like smoking in public spaces. she wasn't buying it- but this is exactly the kind of thing that begets worse stuff.
@Major

I bet you were behind the above heist of these

Saw Book of Mormon finally... 2nd row, center, which was amazing (and cost significantly less than we paid to sit almost at the back of the upper balcony for Hamilton). Funny show. Everything about it -espeecially the narrative structure and Mormon hell scene- felt like I was watching a South Park episode. I assume everybody saw this years ago.

I was towed once, day after Thanksgiving like a decade ago, similar experience, wasn't as bad as I anticipated. We have a parking placard for illegal spots - left the car in a no standing zone in front of my building, never had a problem before and had done it a million times - like an idiot, I forgot to put the plaque in the windshield this one time. Car was gone, I had no argument, just paid the ticket/tow. 

My experience fighting tickets so far has been positive. I've only fought in person, feel like I've got a better chance that way. From my experiences, the cops usually do show up. My wife fought one, cop was there, she lost. I fought one, cop was there, I won. 

A cell phone ticket, won, which was big bc that is 6 points! It was pretty funny listening to people coming in and their terrible arguments. Watched 5 straight people get ruled against, all with idiotic defenses. I have bluetooth in my car, why would I use my handheld? I was much more prepared. I had photos of my cars interior, showing all of the phone integrations in the vehicle, then I had my phone records which show data/text/phone (I brought business cards with my cell on it too, along with older emails also showing my phone so there was no question the number in the records was my number), none with usage during the time on the ticket. I then asked the officer if he checked my phone per my request when he pulled me over, he looked pissed and mumbled I don't remember. Case dismissed, everyone in the court room was in shock. Small facility, prob seats about 30-40 people in total with 3 rows on each side in front of the judge. That is NYC traffic court. 

Parking/towing is different, it's one on one, you get called into a room and deal with the parking judge. 

Fought a hydrant ticket, $115 ticket. Rule is 15 feet, which is pretty close to where I was. Car was parked in the same spot for like 5 days, not a single meter maid wrote me a ticket and dozens must have walked by in that time. Then, one night, a severe thunderstorm. Some ####### cop, in the middle of torrential downpour, wrote me a ticket at 230am. I went outside, brought measuring tape, had my wife video it while I laid out the 15 feet of tape, while also capturing the address in the ticket. Best part about it, the idiot wrote the ticket out wrong, I had all my evidence and the guy dismissed it before I said anything. 

Hey guys, some questions for an upcoming trip to NYC:

We're looking at coming from 4/3 to 4/7. 

We are planning on staying here. My wife gets a discount, so I think it's like $70 a night.

So my initial questions are:

For that hotel, I assume we should fly into Newark? I did a search and it looks like a cab would be about $28 from EWR to the hotel, Uber X would be $24. Is that area safe? Anything in that area worth seeing in April?

The website says the hotel is 4 miles from Times Sq. We're looking to do the standard sightseeing stuff- Times Sq, maybe Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, Chinatown, Central Park. I'm guessing that I shouldn't bother renting a car?

TIA for answers and suggestions.

Yes that hotel is much closer to EWR.  The other airports you would need to go through the city and cab rides would be much more expensive. 

There isnt a ton to see in Secaucus.  Metlife stadium is nearby and there are a bunch of outlets.  But you will be spending most of your time in NYC.  However, on the Jersey side i would check out Hoboken and/or Jersey city(exchange place) if only for the view. 

I wouldn't rent a car unless you plan to drive around Jersey.  If your hotel has a shuttle to the train station in secaucus then it will be pretty easy to get into and out of the city via the train as it runs pretty often and most routes stop there.  Just check when the last train is but worst case if they stop running at a certain time you can take the PATH to Hoboken and cab it from there.  

Hey guys, some questions for an upcoming trip to NYC:

We're looking at coming from 4/3 to 4/7. 

We are planning on staying here. My wife gets a discount, so I think it's like $70 a night.

So my initial questions are:

For that hotel, I assume we should fly into Newark? I did a search and it looks like a cab would be about $28 from EWR to the hotel, Uber X would be $24. Is that area safe? Anything in that area worth seeing in April?

The website says the hotel is 4 miles from Times Sq. We're looking to do the standard sightseeing stuff- Times Sq, maybe Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, Chinatown, Central Park. I'm guessing that I shouldn't bother renting a car?

TIA for answers and suggestions.
Unless you have work or a reason to be in Seacaucus, I wouldn't stay that far out especially if this is a trip to explore NYC.  4 miles in NYC equal to about 40 miles elsewhere.   You'll spend most of your time on the commute.  There's a Holiday Inn off Delancey will give you a much better experience.  

Yes that hotel is much closer to EWR.  The other airports you would need to go through the city and cab rides would be much more expensive. 

There isnt a ton to see in Secaucus.  Metlife stadium is nearby and there are a bunch of outlets.  But you will be spending most of your time in NYC.  However, on the Jersey side i would check out Hoboken and/or Jersey city(exchange place) if only for the view. 

I wouldn't rent a car unless you plan to drive around Jersey.  If your hotel has a shuttle to the train station in secaucus then it will be pretty easy to get into and out of the city via the train as it runs pretty often and most routes stop there.  Just check when the last train is but worst case if they stop running at a certain time you can take the PATH to Hoboken and cab it from there.  
I'm curious about Jersey City- I'm also looking a possibly doing an AirBnB there for $114 a night. The last time I was in Jersey City was about 20 years ago when I got lost leaving EWR and had to ask a hooker for directions. At the time, my impression was that Jersey City was pretty crime-ridden and unsafe. Is this not the case anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread