What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

I'm curious about Jersey City- I'm also looking a possibly doing an AirBnB there for $114 a night. The last time I was in Jersey City was about 20 years ago when I got lost leaving EWR and had to ask a hooker for directions. At the time, my impression was that Jersey City was pretty crime-ridden and unsafe. Is this not the case anymore?
I'll defer to Pinky but the majority of JC is very safe.  It's come a long way in the past 20 years.  

I'll defer to Pinky but the majority of JC is very safe.  It's come a long way in the past 20 years.  
Would Jersey City be easier to get in and out of the city than Secaucus? I don't think the wife's discount is applicable at the Delancey location for those dates.

Would Jersey City be easier to get in and out of the city than Secaucus? I don't think the wife's discount is applicable at the Delancey location for those dates.
Much easier but it depends where you are.  As long as you are near a path station you can get in and out very easy.  And most areas near the path are safe.  Newport, exchange place or grove street areas are ideal but journal square will also work.  Heights is fine but not as easy to get to the path.

but yes jersey city is a way better option than Secaucus.

the path is basically an extension of the subway which is why it is easier to use to get around.

you could also check Harrison if you can find a place by the path.  That’s a little further out though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much easier but it depends where you are.  As long as you are near a path station you can get in and out very easy.  And most areas near the path are safe.  Newport, exchange place or grove street areas are ideal but journal square will also work.  Heights is fine but not as easy to get to the path.

but yes jersey city is a way better option than Secaucus.

the path is basically an extension of the subway which is why it is easier to use to get around.

you could also check Harrison if you can find a place by the path.  That’s a little further out though.
Cool, thanks!

Last I looked, that Delancey holiday inn was silly pricey. But there are so many hotels in the city now, you could probably find one at decent rates (not $70 though). But as major said, the 1.5-2 hrs you’d lose commuting to/from secaucus is worth a bit money imo.

how about something in queens like Long Island city?

Last I looked, that Delancey holiday inn was silly pricey. But there are so many hotels in the city now, you could probably find one at decent rates (not $70 though). But as major said, the 1.5-2 hrs you’d lose commuting to/from secaucus is worth a bit money imo.

how about something in queens like Long Island city?
Looks like the rates are still pretty high there.

Looks like the rates are still pretty high there.
 if you’re looking at secaucus, you could at places in the city too- further out in queens or Brooklyn, maybe by LaGuardia. Puts you on an easier commute.

along the PATH train in nj makes sense too...but I’d check their schedules for tunnel and line closings.

Nick Vermeil said:
I never want to discount someone’s budget but I’m constantly on trips and saying to myself “I would pay a thousand dollars not to have to commute back to Seacaucus right now.”  
Basically exactly what I was thinking reading that.

Just a quick look on hotels.com for your dates shows plenty of options for nice hotels in Manhattan in the $200-$250/night average range. It'll be well worth the extra money. If it was me I'd rather get pizza for a couple nights instead of expensive dinners and you'll come close to breaking even.

Since you haven't booked your flights yet, are you 100% set on those dates? Staying the same number of days Tues-Sat instead of Wed-Sun will likely save you a bunch in not having the expensive Saturday night stay included, and you'll probably save money on the flights too.

Tecumseh said:
While I agree with consensus that commuting in is a PITA, if you go this route, I might have a hidden gem for you depending on your criteria. 

A month ago, we went to a birthday party in North Jersey, stayed in this Residence Inn (Weehawken) as we were drinking heavily and didnt want to drive back into the city. IIRC, room was like $135 for the night on a Saturday. 

It is like 2 blocks to the ferry. 

Otherwise JC might be a decent option, but I'd also check AirBNB in Brooklyn Heights, it's one subway stop to Manhattan and would serve as your easiest commute, imo. On top of the fact that Brooklyn Heights is awesome.

this is the kind of stuff that used to happen in the wild west late 80s early 90s under dinkins- mugged for a pair of sneakers (granted- $950 sneakers!? wtf.) down the street from me.

I was trying to explain to my wife that I've been feeling less safe lately- not scared, but just a shift in the tide. creeping quality of life stuff that goes along with homelessness and having cops be less aggressive about policing... increased shows of aggression publicly along with stupid little stuff like smoking in public spaces. she wasn't buying it- but this is exactly the kind of thing that begets worse stuff.
Yeah it's gotten worse over the past year or so. There was an incident early last year where 3 people got shot in midtown just a few blocks from Macy's. It was drug related with innocent bystanders getting hit. Suspects were eventually caught. There has been an increased police presence there ever since. But despite that, there is still open drug dealing on several corners down Broadway between Herald Square and Madison Square Park.

Yeah it's gotten worse over the past year or so. There was an incident early last year where 3 people got shot in midtown just a few blocks from Macy's. It was drug related with innocent bystanders getting hit. Suspects were eventually caught. There has been an increased police presence there ever since. But despite that, there is still open drug dealing on several corners down Broadway between Herald Square and Madison Square Park.
Huh. I've seen and smelled rampant pot smoking all over the city since diblasio took over, but haven't yet seen or noticed any open dealing. Not a good sign (the latter- I don't mind the pot use)

Huh. I've seen and smelled rampant pot smoking all over the city since diblasio took over, but haven't yet seen or noticed any open dealing. Not a good sign (the latter- I don't mind the pot use)
I do think there is some valid ideas behind broken windows policing and there is a line to be drawn somewhere.  Stop and frisk went to far but honestly DiBlasio's policies are way to lax.  I am all good with decriminalizing marijuana but not people smoking out in the open.  I think they should still prosecute that.  

I do think there is some valid ideas behind broken windows policing and there is a line to be drawn somewhere.  Stop and frisk went to far but honestly DiBlasio's policies are way to lax.  I am all good with decriminalizing marijuana but not people smoking out in the open.  I think they should still prosecute that.  
I think we're on the same wave-length about broken windows and decriminalizing... but I don't mind the public pot smoking, or anything else that doesn't immediately affect the general public. on subway, platform, indoors, anywhere regular smoking isn't allowed- sure, not good. that, to me at least, implies a blatant #### you to society and the people around them- which begins to get into aggressive and anti-social illegal behavior that I don't think should be tolerated.

the homeless and where they choose to sleep/urinate opens a different kettle of fish regarding broken windows. sleeping on the subway car? not a fan, especially of the smellier and of taking up multiple seats during commute- but until better housing solutions are addressed, I'll live. sleeping on the stairs of the subway entrance (happened this morning) at rush hour... needs somebody- ideally a city official of some kind- to help them move somewhere else that isn't a safety hazard. that latter thing, along with an increase of people smoking on subway platform- while not a giant deal-  exactly the type of little things that begin to add up to worse things.

I think we're on the same wave-length about broken windows and decriminalizing... but I don't mind the public pot smoking, or anything else that doesn't immediately affect the general public. on subway, platform, indoors, anywhere regular smoking isn't allowed- sure, not good. that, to me at least, implies a blatant #### you to society and the people around them- which begins to get into aggressive and anti-social illegal behavior that I don't think should be tolerated.

the homeless and where they choose to sleep/urinate opens a different kettle of fish regarding broken windows. sleeping on the subway car? not a fan, especially of the smellier and of taking up multiple seats during commute- but until better housing solutions are addressed, I'll live. sleeping on the stairs of the subway entrance (happened this morning) at rush hour... needs somebody- ideally a city official of some kind- to help them move somewhere else that isn't a safety hazard. that latter thing, along with an increase of people smoking on subway platform- while not a giant deal-  exactly the type of little things that begin to add up to worse things.
I kind of put smoking pot in the same boat as drinking in public and think they should both be enforced.  Feel like the city has been more lenient with Pot then drinking in public.  

That Residence Inn is brand new BTW.
It is. Only a portion of it was open when we stayed there, nothing water facing. 

We got so ####ed up the night before and we're up until like 4am. I woke up at 9, still possibly drunk, and wandered down to the breakfast, wife was still sleeping. I don't remember the quality of the breakfast, but I remember it being fulfilling in what I was trying to accomplish. I ate like 3 chocolate croissants while filling my plate. I brought this huge water bottle down and filled it with juice along with the two cups of iced coffee I tried to carry back. I might've looked homeless to the other patrons there, but I have little recollection of this.

I stumbled to the elevator with about 3 plates of eggs, sausage, waffles, croissants, cups of iced coffee, syrup, ketchup, and I forget what else. I distinctly remember they didn't have bacon. When I got in the elevator, I had so much #### in my hands, I couldn't hit the floor button. I spilled a plate of food and ketchup, along with one ice coffee all over the place. I also didn't hit my button in time, so the elevator went all the way down to the lobby, I was on top floor, IIRC. Someone gets in, me standing their like a train wreck with food/juice everywhere, struggling to hold my remaining food/beverages, this guy just looking at me :lol:  

I brought what I hadn't spilled back to the room and went to town on that meal. When we checked out, they still hadn't cleaned the mess I left behind. I remarked to my wife that housekeeping/janitorial services were subpar as I pointed to the mess some animal must have left behind. 

All in all, I would def recommend this place. Big comfy room, living room, & kitchen - right next to the ferry. 

I've noticed substantially more pot use too, doesn't bother me though.

What the hell is wrong with our politicians that they essentially killed that Amazon deal? 25k jobs? Nah, no thanks. We're not interested.

What the hell is wrong with our politicians that they essentially killed that Amazon deal? 25k jobs? Nah, no thanks. We're not interested.
People blame Amazon for ruining Seattle.   The truth is more like the city council is ruining Seattle, but the tech companies have changed Seattle's culture and have priced a lot of people out of the city.   NYC's leaders met with members of Seattle's city council, who spin a one sided tale of corporate greed.   

People blame Amazon for ruining Seattle.   The truth is more like the city council is ruining Seattle, but the tech companies have changed Seattle's culture and have priced a lot of people out of the city.   NYC's leaders met with members of Seattle's city council, who spin a one sided tale of corporate greed.   
This decision is Amazon’s statement to the rest of the world “don’t question our sweetheart tax deals.” I’m a little bummed as a property owner on the relevant subway line. But someone else will land in LIC hopefully without the mayor and governor turning over the keys. NYC will be ok. 

This decision is Amazon’s statement to the rest of the world “don’t question our sweetheart tax deals.” I’m a little bummed as a property owner on the relevant subway line. But someone else will land in LIC hopefully without the mayor and governor turning over the keys. NYC will be ok. 
yeah- my first thought was this would hurt another city more than it will affect nyc. 

I got the sense the lack of transparency on the deal turned off all the local politicians. 

but now NYCFC can lobby to put a stadium there...somewhere... 

Redwes25 said:
NYC has always been fairly lax about weed IMO.  Prior to Bloomberg, we used to smoke in pubic quite often (downtown bars, streets, parks, etc).  With the cigarette bans, that tightened up but the most trouble I ever got in for smoking was a cop telling me to put out a joint.  Policing such a harmless offense seems like a waste of time to me.  I'm partial to California, where cigarette smoke is not the norm.  

NYC has always been fairly lax about weed IMO.  Prior to Bloomberg, we used to smoke in pubic quite often (downtown bars, streets, parks, etc).  With the cigarette bans, that tightened up but the most trouble I ever got in for smoking was a cop telling me to put out a joint.  Policing such a harmless offense seems like a waste of time to me.  I'm partial to California, where cigarette smoke is not the norm.  
You are obviously white. I know many black acquaintances that have been cuffed for smoking weed. The only white guy I know who went to jail for weed was smoking with two black guys. All those referenced were employed (well compensated) entertainment professionals having fun. Their crimes were either being black or smoking with  blacks.  

You are obviously white. I know many black acquaintances that have been cuffed for smoking weed. The only white guy I know who went to jail for weed was smoking with two black guys. All those referenced were employed (well compensated) entertainment professionals having fun. Their crimes were either being black or smoking with  blacks.  

they've been pretty lax for the last few years - IIRC the DA said they weren't gonna prosecute & a few months later NYPD said they weren't gonna waste resources on a crime the DA wasn't willing to pursue.

I was with some business colleagues who were smoking a blunt walking down 31st St before a Rangers game a few years ago. Couple undercover guys from Midtown South came along and took photos of our IDs - let us go after a few minutes, they were annoyed we were being casual about it. "Could you at least go into the garden behind the bar instead of walking down the street? We're not out here looking for that ya know." (meaning? IDK if they were looking for scalpers or what...) Four white guys FWIW.

Last year I saw a white guy get cuffed by a group of undercovers outside a restaurant in Hell's Kitchen (44th/9th.) Felt bad for him, he was with his wife and her parents. I kind of hung out for 5-10 minutes to see if they were actually going to book him but same deal I think - no warrants came back, they unhooked him and let him go. I only caught snippets of their convo but seemed about like our incident - don't be blatant about it and we won't hassle you, but if you're gonna stand on an Avenue smoking we not gonna act like we're blind. We didn't get cuffed and they were quite respectful tbh, but that guy kind of got tossed around a bit (they pushed him down on the cement to hook him up) - maybe he was giving them attitude, I didn't catch everything that was said.

True.  I was just stating personal experience within my social circle (various races) but downtown Manhattan (EV/LES) is vastly different from other parts of NYC.  

There's pre-bloomberg Giuliani years, and there's pre-bloomberg dinkins years. I was more scared of somebody jumping me for the weed and money in the latter than I ever was of police arresting me in the former. And yeah, like Nick said- had a couple good black friends end up in the vaults for it (one gave serious attitude and got roughed up, the other had the same yes sir no sir answers the white friends would give but got tossed.

El Floppo said:
coworker just told me... crazy. 

I wonder what defines "mounting opposition" for them. city of 8mil+, there'll always be a large group opposing anything- puppy hugs, free chocolate- wthaever.
"I'll give you this, Amazon: Telling people you're going to Queens and then bailing is one thing New Yorkers can relate to." ~ Stephen Colbert

It was never like this in this neighborhood over the last decade until the current mayor took over with different policing policies. There is a regular police presence in the area, but the dealers return to the corners as soon as they leave. On some days, you'll see a cop car stationed one block up on Broadway and a group dealing one block down around the corner. And again this is right in the shadow of the Empire State Building, just a few blocks south. 

When I worked in the Flatiron area I smelled pot like someone was smoking next to me all over the place and no matter the time of day.  That is more recent (does seem to be since De Blasio became mayor).  It doesn't bother me at all, just making an observation.  I never saw anyone get arrested or hassled about it.  Now that I work in Midtown East, I rarely smell it.  Different neighborhood so different setting and people (much more commercial and less touristy).  I just started working in the area so I haven't really explored east of 3rd Ave, where it's more residential.  I expect to smell it more in a more residential area.  I don't remember smelling it as frequently or pervasively before De Blasio.  I think it's a good thing that the laws have become more relaxed about it, but I also think people should be more discreet about it on the street, like smoke at home instead of in front of the office. 

Finally made it to Hometown BBQ in Red Hook last night and it was well worth the trip.  By far the best BBQ I have had in the City.  Also, stopped into Sunny's which I haven't been to in years.  So happy it hasn't changed at all and still remains one of the best dive bars in the city. 

Red Hook can be a bit off the beaten path given lack of Subway access but well worth swinging by if you haven't been before.  Also, one of the few Crab  places in the city (Brooklyn Crab) is right next to Hometown if you aren't into BBQ (who that is I have no idea).  It is a good time in the summer but usually a mad house.  

Finally made it to Hometown BBQ in Red Hook last night and it was well worth the trip.  By far the best BBQ I have had in the City.  Also, stopped into Sunny's which I haven't been to in years.  So happy it hasn't changed at all and still remains one of the best dive bars in the city. 

Red Hook can be a bit off the beaten path given lack of Subway access but well worth swinging by if you haven't been before.  Also, one of the few Crab  places in the city (Brooklyn Crab) is right next to Hometown if you aren't into BBQ (who that is I have no idea).  It is a good time in the summer but usually a mad house.  
I go to BWAC every once and a while. Will definitely check out the BBQ place. thx!

Hometown is close to my neck of the woods, pretty good. 

BBQ is prob one of the only culinary flavors this city lacks a strong diverse choice in. 

Meh on Brooklyn Crab. Food isn't that good, but if you're drinking, playing cornhole, and hanging in the summer, pretty good time. 

I love Hometown.

Hometown is close to my neck of the woods, pretty good. 

BBQ is prob on of the only culinary flavors this city lacks a strong diverse choice in. 

Meh on Brooklyn Crab. Food isn't that good, but if you're drinking, playing cornhole, and hanging in the summer, pretty good time. 
Agree Brooklyn Crab is more about atmosphere

I go to BWAC every once and a while. Will definitely check out the BBQ place. thx!
Going to have to check that out (excuse for a day trip for BBQ and a few cheap beers).  One thing I just love about living in NYC is all the opportunities out there to do interesting/cultural stuff.  So much stuff to do that it is impossible even to know about (let alone go to) more than a small sliver of it.   

I think it truly makes up for all the negatives.  

BBQ is prob one of the only culinary flavors this city lacks a strong diverse choice in. 
Agreed.  Tex-Mex has also been a struggle which I never really understood - simple and not difficult to make.  It's definitely improved in the last 10 years but I still remember the one time I asked for chips and queso and got served a bowl of microwaved mozzarella.  

Agreed.  Tex-Mex has also been a struggle which I never really understood - simple and not difficult to make.  It's definitely improved in the last 10 years but I still remember the one time I asked for chips and queso and got served a bowl of microwaved mozzarella.  
There have been a bunch popping up around BK over the last few years, although far from authentic. Basically an overpriced chic $7 taco. 

:goodposting:

when I came here from SF in the mid 80s I thought it would be easy to get a burrito, given the amount of mexicans here. was clueless to the Cali-style origins of that particular food. Benny's was it for the longest time... and it was to burrito as mcdonalds is to hamburger- all the stuff is kinda there, and it tastes ok when the mood strikes, but not remotely close to what it's being called. I also couldn't get over having to wait 15 minutes for them to make it.... which was the same as the places that came later. wtf? took until the last 10 years for people to finally "get it"... I prefer dos toros these days, but am open to better ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread