What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (5 Viewers)

Its 2024 and I know I should know... But I have no idea what a digital wallet is. Is it Aka cell phone?
Yes, like Apple Wallet on an iPhone. You can link forms of payment, like credit cards or debit cards, and then use the phone rather than a physical card for purchases.
I need to clean mine out. Full of virtual Amazon coupons, and NFTs of the kids.

Can barely get my phone in my pocket.

Subway question... Can you use your credit card to charge subway rides without creating an OMNY account? I know you can set up an OMNY account and add payment methods to it. But if I just showed up at a subway station without an account could I swipe my credit card as payment for the ride?

Been riding the subway 25 years.

I'm avoiding it these days.

Last night

The instigator gets stabbed by his own knife and then proceeds to get shot in the head *(off-camera) by his own gun

Play-by-play
  • 36 year old aggressor (who was already on the A train) berates a 32 year old man after the younger dude gets on a northbound A train at Nostrand Ave
  • votrolic insults for two a full minutes, glowering over him and his woman ranting slurs
  • the black dude appears to be having a mental health crisis, apparently bc he thinks the guy is a migrant
  • younger guy tries to ignore him but then it's on; the crowded subway surges to the opposite end as they square off
  • the instigator lands several heavy blows but at some point pulls a knife (which *I think* gets dropped/kicked)
  • companion of the younger hispanic guy - seen earlier walking past the camera to where the non-combatants are congregated - comes back into view
  • she rushes behind him and shivs him with his own knife
  • aggressor starts in on her - she has scurried down to the empty end after knifing the guy - while holding down the guy he just pummeled
  • yellow mesh vest bystander intervenes and convinces them to separate, noting their are kids and babies on the train
  • hispanic guy goes to the empty end to be with his companion, black dude is still ranting (while bleeding profusely from knife would in his back)
  • he starts slowly rifling through his jacket while continuing the torrent of threats, finally finds the zippered pocket holding his handgun
  • lock n load, starts moving towards the couple, everyone dives to the floor, pandemonium, screams of LET ME OUT (train is now in the station but doors haven't opened)
  • one gun shot off camera, crowd is in a full on crowd panic, doors open, everyone runs out the train and up the stairs
  • three rapid shots as everyone runs through the station
  • there is literally a police precinct at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway - cops arrive on scene within seconds
  • shooter is arrested on the train (which is full of ballistics and blood)
  • stabber flees the scene and has not been apprehended yet
  • no charges filed yet as investigation continues - initial report is the shooter was not the aggressor (Mayor Nightlife didn't opine on the female stabber)
  • aggressor-victim is in critial condition with a small caliber gunshot wound to the head

Lately we drive whenever possible.

I've always been a public transit + biking/walking guy, but I don't even recognize my city anymore.

We gotta get outta this place.

Subway question... Can you use your credit card to charge subway rides without creating an OMNY account? I know you can set up an OMNY account and add payment methods to it. But if I just showed up at a subway station without an account could I swipe my credit card as payment for the ride?

Last night

The instigator gets stabbed by his own knife and then proceeds to get shot in the head *(off-camera) by his own gun

Play-by-play
  • 36 year old aggressor (who was already on the A train) berates a 32 year old man after the younger dude gets on a northbound A train at Nostrand Ave
  • votrolic insults for two a full minutes, glowering over him and his woman ranting slurs
  • the black dude appears to be having a mental health crisis, apparently bc he thinks the guy is a migrant
  • younger guy tries to ignore him but then it's on; the crowded subway surges to the opposite end as they square off
  • the instigator lands several heavy blows but at some point pulls a knife (which *I think* gets dropped/kicked)
  • companion of the younger hispanic guy - seen earlier walking past the camera to where the non-combatants are congregated - comes back into view
  • aggressor starts in on her - she has scurried down to the empty end after knifing the guy - while holding down the guy he just pummeled
  • yellow mesh vest bystander intervenes and convinces them to separate, noting their are kids and babies on the train
  • hispanic guy goes to the empty end to be with his companion, black dude is still ranting (while bleeding profusely from knife would in his back)
  • he starts slowly rifling through his jacket while continuing the torrent of threats, finally finds the zippered pocket holding his handgun
  • lock n load, starts moving towards the couple, everyone dives to the floor, pandemonium, screams of LET ME OUT (train is now in the station but doors haven't opened)
  • one gun shot off camera, crowd is in a full on crowd panic, doors open, everyone runs out the train and up the stairs
  • there is literally a police precinct at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway - cops arrive on scene within seconds
  • no charges filed yet as investigation continues - initial report is the shooter was not the aggressor (Mayor Nightlife didn't opine on the female stabber)
  • aggressor-victim is in critial condition with a small caliber gunshot wound to the head

I've always been a public transit + biking/walking guy, but I don't even recognize my city anymore.

Well, now with such a fresh incident, I am sure my wife will not want to ride the subway. I was really hoping it would provide a simple and fairly cheap way to get around. Uber/taxi here we come.

Is there an Uber scene in Manhattan or is it taxi dominated?

Last night

Play-by-play

Well, now with such a fresh incident, I am sure my wife will not want to ride the subway. I was really hoping it would provide a simple and fairly cheap way to get around. Uber/taxi here we come.

Is there an Uber scene in Manhattan or is it taxi dominated?

I suppose it varies but IME the convenience of ride shares makes it a no brainer. I can’t remember the last time I was in a cab…probably 2018?

Sucks. But imo tbh... The only difference between this and day 1 is it was captured on video. This **** has always been a possibility - on the subway, on the street, anywhere. That incident doesn't change my view of the subway any more than Bernie Goetz did. I will continue to ride the subway and continue my own vigilance.. same as day 1.

Due to work, a lot of my subway travel over the last 10 years I was still in NY was heading home at off hours, like 2-4am. It was pretty tense at times back then and that was pre-Covid. I don't think my wife would be able to sleep at night now knowing I was coming home that way. I'd probably have to Uber just for her peace of mind.

Due to work, a lot of my subway travel over the last 10 years I was still in NY was heading home at off hours, like 2-4am. It was pretty tense at times back then and that was pre-Covid. I don't think my wife would be able to sleep at night now knowing I was coming home that way. I'd probably have to Uber just for her peace of mind.
Yikes, man... That's the magic hours of ****s gonna go down.

It definitely had its moments but I found that most people that would start **** were passed out during those times. Thankfully I never had any major incidents, at least not where I was directly involved.

Last night

Play-by-play

That was intense. Can you not walk between trains anymore?

It definitely had its moments but I found that most people that would start **** were passed out during those times. Thankfully I never had any major incidents, at least not where I was directly involved.
Moved there in 2004, I always was very forgiving of the subway, and I never worried about criminals because there's usually easier prey around than me. But crazy doesn't care about picking fights. Crazy will fight anyone, and there's a lot more crazy. Whether they are crazy, or sane people on drugs doesn't really matter.
Off hour subway is much worse than before Sandy/Covid. If you rely on the trains regularly outside of the 7 am-9 pm hours, you may have to adapt on the regular. Lot of shutdowns, someone is always running on a different line, or skipping stations, on and on. You always had this, but now it's moreso.

If you catching a sorth/south line in Manhattan during regular business hours, you good still, I assume.

I rode the trains after midnight in 2005, and 2023, and it's not even comparable.

Can you not walk between trains anymore?

Some of the A/C trains still have the oldest cars in service; they’ve been updating, but that’s def an older style in the video - maybe wasn’t an option?

They locked passage in between cars a good 15-20 years ago. IIRC it was after a little kid (4 years old) fell backwards in between cars. They made it legal again sometime after the bombing, maybe 1-2 years ago? But it’s not an option on all the cars.

Also, it’s hard af to think when fight or flight kicks in.

Some of the A/C trains still have the oldest cars in service; they’ve been updating, but that’s def an older style in the video - maybe wasn’t an option?

They locked passage in between cars a good 15-20 years ago. IIRC it was after a little kid (4 years old) fell backwards in between cars. They made it legal again sometime after the bombing, maybe 1-2 years ago? But it’s not an option on all the cars.

For sure, I don't blame the migrants. Possibility they didn't know and being in the heat of the moment. It was the rest of the train freaking out and crowding on the other side. I'm assuming it was locked.

For sure, I don't blame the migrants. Possibility they didn't know and being in the heat of the moment. It was the rest of the train freaking out and crowding on the other side. I'm assuming it was locked.

I have to ride that train (will get on & off at same two stations lol) to get to a volunteer gig in the morning. Alternately leave earlier & just take a bus.

When wifey & I go into the city we pretty much always drive. That’s a complete 180 from how I traveled 1999-2022, but I’m more risk averse as I get older.

Covid put a lot of marginalized folks over the edge. Plus 175K migrants arriving in the past year has put a tremendous strain on an already broken system.

Moved there in 2004, I always was very forgiving of the subway, and I never worried about criminals because there's usually easier prey around than me. But crazy doesn't care about picking fights. Crazy will fight anyone, and there's a lot more crazy. Whether they are crazy, or sane people on drugs doesn't really matter.
Off hour subway is much worse than before Sandy/Covid. If you rely on the trains regularly outside of the 7 am-9 pm hours, you may have to adapt on the regular. Lot of shutdowns, someone is always running on a different line, or skipping stations, on and on. You always had this, but now it's moreso.

If you catching a sorth/south line in Manhattan during regular business hours, you good still, I assume.

I rode the trains after midnight in 2005, and 2023, and it's not even comparable.
I used to ride the 1,2 or 3 back uptown 3-5am after going out clubbing in the 80s... During the halcyon start of Crack days when Reagans admin changed the laws about who was and wasn't institutionalized...dumping a lot of already marginalized folk on the streets overnight. With crack. Even still, I saw much much worse on the streets when I cabbed it during those days. Most of the people id see were graveyard shift workers, not people looking to get into something. Those people were in the 7pm-1am window.

I'm not saying things are great, but IME today feels a lot safer than it did back then. But I do hate seeing it...

This won't change my subway usage. There are definately more "crazies" then pre-covid but there was always some risk with the subway. THough I still find it much safer then when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s.

Much different from my high school days going to Brooklyn Tech in the late 70's, early 80's. 14 years old as a freshman taking the A or the LL to the GG. Didnt want to take the bus because it passed through Bed-Stuy. And most houses around Tech were burned out and boarded up. I should have bought one then! The bums were usually harmless guys sleeping it off.

Highly recommend carrying some Sabre Pepper Gel with you. Much better than mace, won't fog up the car and can be sprayed at a safe distance. This will put the most insane on their a$$ and have them begging for mercy. I never had a problem in NYC but this has saved me from a few altercations in Houston. The train here can be even more problematic with no turnstyles/pay gates so anyone (often homeless/crazies) can board without a ticket/pass.

New LGA is pretty nice (terminal B)... Here for the first time to see the change. Such a difference from the awful swamp it used to be.

Highly recommend carrying some Sabre Pepper Gel with you. Much better than mace, won't fog up the car and can be sprayed at a safe distance. This will put the most insane on their a$$ and have them begging for mercy. I never had a problem in NYC but this has saved me from a few altercations in Houston. The train here can be even more problematic with no turnstyles/pay gates so anyone (often homeless/crazies) can board without a ticket/pass.

Pepper spray is hard to get in NY as you can’t ship it. Only a handful of places sell it as well since need to be a Gun store (they usually have but there aren’t many in NYC) or pharmacy (very few carry it).

Manchester City is playing an exhibition vs AC MIlan at Yankee Stadium end of July.

I am definitely going.
But genuinely tempted for the CP and Musah possibilities. Are tickets on sale?

I've seen a handful of these types of games in the area over the years.. kinda fun 1st half seeing the normal players go, and then cool to see the youngsters in the 2nd half. I saw a young Odegsrd for somebody... RM maybe?

Well, I F'd up. Showed up at 1 pm for my Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty reservation only to discover I somehow managed to buy tickets for February 5th. I remeber having trouble with the web site when reserving tickets, but thought I had worked it all out. Anyway, I stuck the tickets in my Apple Wallet and didn't think about them again until today. Since they were now over a month old, they wouldn't help me out in any way. No refund, no exchange...I couldn't even buy new tickets because they were sold out for the day. Also sold out for tomorrow. I guess no Ellis/SoL adventure. My wife was bummed. I can't believe I somehow managed to F that up. To top it off, we sort of rushed through the WTC 911 museum after our tour there in order to get to the Ferry spot on time. I could have spent all day there.

Anyway, If anyone is looking for a good show to see, Kimberly Akimbo was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. Wife is resting up a bit and then we are off to Peter Luger's...

Well, I F'd up. Showed up at 1 pm for my Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty reservation only to discover I somehow managed to buy tickets for February 5th. I remeber having trouble with the web site when reserving tickets, but thought I had worked it all out. Anyway, I stuck the tickets in my Apple Wallet and didn't think about them again until today. Since they were now over a month old, they wouldn't help me out in any way. No refund, no exchange...I couldn't even buy new tickets because they were sold out for the day. Also sold out for tomorrow. I guess no Ellis/SoL adventure. My wife was bummed. I can't believe I somehow managed to F that up. To top it off, we sort of rushed through the WTC 911 museum after our tour there in order to get to the Ferry spot on time. I could have spent all day there.

Anyway, If anyone is looking for a good show to see, Kimberly Akimbo was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. Wife is resting up a bit and then we are off to Peter Luger's...
Damn. That's sucks man. If your wife is anything like mine be prepared for a lifetime of "remember when we went to Ellis Island" jokes. Ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread