What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next Year's Surprise Team (1 Viewer)

pokersteve

Footballguy
I know that it might be a little early to be asking this, but I was wondering what other people thought. Who do you think next year's big surprise team will be? I was was trying to think about it and I really can't think of one team that go from the bottom to the top. Anyways I'll keep watching and see what you guys think.

Steve

NFL Legends

I could see the Rams and Packers making a run at 10 wins. I also think the Eagles will be back in the 9+ win range.Colin

I know that it might be a little early to be asking this, but I was wondering what other people thought. Who do you think next year's big surprise team will be? I was was trying to think about it and I really can't think of one team that go from the bottom to the top. Anyways I'll keep watching and see what you guys think.

Steve

NFL Legends
You're still around?

I agree with Bankerguy on Miami, and hope for Detroit. Other canidates:Titans - depending on the QB.Bills - O talent is there, can the line take shape, Spikes stay healthy?Eagles - but would this be a surprise?If I had to pick one, it would be Miami, but again, is this a true surprise team?

Miami is the team that comes to mind for making a run at the playoffs out of the teams that did not make it.

Hard to get a good read this early, but my best guesses (in general, not just good surprises):Good surprises:Baltimore - I think Boller may finally resemble a decent qb, espcially if Fassel stays. Redskins - I think they are for real. Maybe 11-12 wins and Super Bowl boundMinnesota - good talent, D started coming on last year49ers - I like the Norv Turner hire. I think Nolan starts showing some results in 2nd year (maybe 6 wins)Bad Surprises:Indy - I think things are not going to go well, especially if they don't resign Edge

The Cardinals. It has to be the Cardinals. I mean, everyone was saying they'd win the division this year.

I did not see the potential in Detroit last year, and I don't see it in 2006. I think Detroit will still be a bad team.

Hard to get a good read this early, but my best guesses (in general, not just good surprises):

Good surprises:

Baltimore - I think Boller may finally resemble a decent qb, espcially if Fassel stays.

Redskins - I think they are for real. Maybe 11-12 wins and Super Bowl bound

Minnesota - good talent, D started coming on last year

49ers - I like the Norv Turner hire. I think Nolan starts showing some results in 2nd year (maybe 6 wins)

Bad Surprises:

Indy - I think things are not going to go well, especially if they don't resign Edge
How is a 10-6 team winning 11-12 games a "surprise"?Especially after losing to Seattle by less than the Panthers did, bringing in Saunders, and finishing the season on a 5-0 run?

If anything the expectations will be too high for this team. If Brunell gets hurt, I doubt Campbell is ready to run a Saunders offense.

My vote is for the Jets. Preseason favorites to challenge the Pats, but key injuries on the o-line and at QB destroyed their season. They will be overlooked in 2006

Good Things:Vikings return to glory, Just a RB & couple LB's from being their(they get what they need in the draft and FA)Miami If they sign T.O. the skys the limit for the PhinsK.C. New coach will get Def on track, Larry Johnson MVPBad things:DA Bears, they lost their last two games, the CAT's really exposed their corners, need help at QBDenver, is Jake really the QB they need? Can Anderson come up big again, much improved division, SD/KCIndy, they think they can get by w/o the Edge, boy are they wrong.

I'll agree with Miami but it's hard to call them a surprise after a 9-7 campaign.I think the Titans will do better in '06. They're awfully young. I was waiting for them to gel late in the season and go on a minirun but it didn't happen. I could see them being much more competitive next year.Can the Chargers be considered a surprise team?

Hard to get a good read this early, but my best guesses (in general, not just good surprises):

Bad Surprises:

Indy - I think things are not going to go well, especially if they don't resign Edge
Was that the door shutting on the Colts' chances to win the big one with arguably the most talent in the league......Poor Peyton. Like Elway, he may get another chance before his career is over. Like Marino, he may not.

Another vote for Miami. However, I don't think it will be a surprise. I'm guessing most of the pundits will be pimping them big time.

I'm going NYJ. Really, all they need is to find a QB. Whether that QB is Pennington or a veteran FA (Jon Kitna? Aaron Brooks? Kerry Collins?) or even a trade (David Guarrard?), I think that they have the defense and enough of an offense to be a 10-win team.

I like the Packers if Brett comes back. I think the Chargers will do better than the Dolphins in the end since they are the team everyone seems to be picking which means the Chargers should be in there also since only a game difference

Would love to say Miami but the late season run should eliminate them from contention.My vote would go for the Packers,especially if Favre returns.......

Other than my Dolphins, I will put in a vote for 2 teams. The Ravens and the Arizona Cardinals. Boller is starting to look like a real QB, and the injury to Palmer and the Post SB Steelers will be ripe for a fall (SB victory or no).As for the Cards: They play in a weak division, they are a RB away from being a powerful Offensive team (Edge anyone?), and again the post SB Seahawks may be ripe for a fall as well. With SF still a few years away and STL with a new QB and a change in Offensive style, the cards could sneak into the playoff picture rather easily.

Miami was a 9-7 last year. If they are going to be a surprise or improved team, how many wins? I agree that they will be improved in Saban's 2nd year but they might not win any more games. Especially if the Jets are themselves a surprise team (I'm not buying it as they are in Salary Cap hell and to say you are only a QB away is saying you are nowhere near a playoff team).

Not a huge surprise, but I have to go with San Diego. If there's one perk to playing in a stacked division, it's that if you finish third, you get a fairly easy schedule the following year. San Diego could very easily win the West and make noise in the playoffs.Also agree with those picking Miami.And for whatever reason, I have a good feeling about Arizona. If they get any kind of running game, they'll have one of the top offenses in football.

I like the Packers if Brett comes back.

I think the Chargers will do better than the Dolphins in the end since they are the team everyone seems to be picking which means the Chargers should be in there also since only a game difference
Why? Brett didn't do much for them this year. Not going to happen. Thompson is making a strong push to unseat Millen as the NFL's idiot GM.

So now that most people are picking Miami, San Diego, and Arizona, does this eliminate them from this thread?

My vote....and don't laugh...The Cleveland BROWNS!!!!I bet they put it together and knock the Ravens and Bungles for a loop next year.

The Cardinals. It has to be the Cardinals. I mean, everyone was saying they'd win the division this year.
They have to get more production from the RB/OL and DEF before we can talk logically about the Cardinals.

I could see the Rams and Packers making a run at 10 wins. I also think the Eagles will be back in the 9+ win range.

Colin
Packers? Are you nuts? They are so depleted I think they will be lucky to win 7 games.And I thought my prediction of Cleveland hitting 500 with a possible playoff spot was too outlandish to post. : )

My vote....and don't laugh...The Cleveland BROWNS!!!!

I bet they put it together and knock the Ravens and Bungles for a loop next year.
Nice one. First call for the Brownies, and they have a lot of talent.Is Winslow going to come back this year?

I guess a team that wins 3 times as many games next year as they did this year should be a surprise.TEXANS.Bush running behind the Bronco's blocking schemes? Granted not the Bronco's players, just the schemes. Carr getting just a little more time to with legitimateplay action, and they could surprise. There are only 1 year removed from a halfway decent season.

I guess a team that wins 3 times as many games next year as they did this year should be a surprise.

TEXANS.

Bush running behind the Bronco's blocking schemes? Granted not the Bronco's players, just the schemes. Carr getting just a little more time to with legitimateplay action, and they could surprise. There are only 1 year removed from a halfway decent season.
I agree, they were an easily 5-7 win team before all those thrown games, they have talent and adding Bush and Kubiak among others will have them atleast back to a 7 win team if not maybe 9...... :eek:

I bet they put it together and knock the Ravens and Bungles for a loop next year.
Nice one. First call for the Brownies, and they have a lot of talent.Is Winslow going to come back this year?
No chance. If Carson Palmer comes back, the Bengals win the AFC North by at least 2 games. Marvin is going to fix the defense. The Browns will be lucky to win more than 2 divisional games and the rest of the schedule is murder - AFC West + NFC South. They may be better but they probably won't get the 6 wins they got this year. A lot of talent? I guess I don't see it, but then neither does any expert that I have ever listened to that claims it is one of the most barren rosters in the NFL...

No chance. If Carson Palmer comes back, the Bengals win the AFC North by at least 2 games. Marvin is going to fix the defense. The Browns will be lucky to win more than 2 divisional games and the rest of the schedule is murder - AFC West + NFC South. They may be better but they probably won't get the 6 wins they got this year. A lot of talent? I guess I don't see it, but then neither does any expert that I have ever listened to that claims it is one of the most barren rosters in the NFL...
Don't be surprised when Cleveland spends heavily in free agency and acquires folks like Edge/IND, E Moulds/BUF, LeCharles Bentley/NO, Hutchinson/SEA, etc.. this plus another solid draft will give them a very large talent base. The 3-4 demands a block gobling NT which we don't have. They will get one via FA as there are at least two great fits out there in BAL and GB. This alone will improve our struggling run D. They will resign Roye who had a nice year. McKinley will get the other DE spot. They will draft one or two DTs in mid rounds who will be groomed for the DE spots and get spot duty this year.

Andra Davis is our run stuffing ILB (ahem) and they will add someone in the first three rounds to be more of a speed guy. AJ Hawk likely won't be there but someone like DeMeco Ryans is a possibility.

We will draft two DE/OLB tweener guys to become our speed edge rushers at OLB. Manny Lawson, Kamerion Wimbley are a couple of examples and may be the 2006 version of Demarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman.

Our secondary is pretty set and will look worlds better with a vastly improved front seven.

Offense is in better shape but could still use another WR like Stoval, a TE like Tim Day, a speed RB like Henderson or Washington and a couple of improved O-Line spots. I think at least one will be addressed via FA leaving some draft work. A stud OT can be had in 1st or our early 2nd round pick this year. There are quite a few G prospects like R Simms of OSU.

All in all, I think the Browns are heading in the right direction.

Good Things:Vikings return to glory, Just a RB & couple LB's from being their(they get what they need in the draft and FA)
What glory? An empty trophy case?And yeah...they need another RB...how about 3 or 4 more...LBs...did you all not trade your best player last year for an LB (oh yeah...you all got raped in that one)You also may need a QB...you have a malcontent with a bum knee who has some issues even when he is in there...no big WR threat...an Oline is your real need though.

I like the Packers if Brett comes back.

I think the Chargers will do better than the Dolphins in the end since they are the team everyone seems to be picking which means the Chargers should be in there also since only a game difference
Why? Brett didn't do much for them this year. Not going to happen. Thompson is making a strong push to unseat Millen as the NFL's idiot GM.
Without getting into the whole Brett or no Brett thing...please do not compare Thompson to Millen...that race is not even close...Millen is unreachable. :rolleyes:

You heard it here first:Arizona Cardinals! decent defense, underachieving O-line that will get tweaked in the off-season, and plenty of cap room to bring in free agents...Shaun Alexander? Edgerrin James? Ray Lewis? Hmmmmmm?ok, so maybe you didn't hear it here first. :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't be surprised when Cleveland spends heavily in free agency and acquires folks like Edge/IND, E Moulds/BUF, LeCharles Bentley/NO, Hutchinson/SEA, etc.. this plus another solid draft will give them a very large talent base. The 3-4 demands a block gobling NT which we don't have. They will get one via FA as there are at least two great fits out there in BAL and GB. This alone will improve our struggling run D. They will resign Roye who had a nice year. McKinley will get the other DE spot. They will draft one or two DTs in mid rounds who will be groomed for the DE spots and get spot duty this year.

Andra Davis is our run stuffing ILB (ahem) and they will add someone in the first three rounds to be more of a speed guy. AJ Hawk likely won't be there but someone like DeMeco Ryans is a possibility.

We will draft two DE/OLB tweener guys to become our speed edge rushers at OLB. Manny Lawson, Kamerion Wimbley are a couple of examples and may be the 2006 version of Demarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman.

Our secondary is pretty set and will look worlds better with a vastly improved front seven.

Offense is in better shape but could still use another WR like Stoval, a TE like Tim Day, a speed RB like Henderson or Washington and a couple of improved O-Line spots. I think at least one will be addressed via FA leaving some draft work. A stud OT can be had in 1st or our early 2nd round pick this year. There are quite a few G prospects like R Simms of OSU.

All in all, I think the Browns are heading in the right direction.
The offense was atrocious last season. The defense was way ahead of the offense in 2005. The Browns were dead last in points scored. 26th in yards gained. meanwhile, the defense was 11th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed. Yeah the Browns had a 1000 yard runner, but the truth is that he got 1000 yards because he got almost all of the carries. No-one else even had 100 yards! That's not normal and it really shows how awful the offense was.

That's a sad state of affairs for a Browns franchise that built its dynasty in the 40s and 50s on offense under an offensive genius in Paul Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see the Rams and Packers making a run at 10 wins. I also think the Eagles will be back in the 9+ win range.

Colin
Packers? Are you nuts? They are so depleted I think they will be lucky to win 7 games.And I thought my prediction of Cleveland hitting 500 with a possible playoff spot was too outlandish to post. : )
I would not be surprised in anything the Packers do...from being bad to being a 10 win team. Depends if Thompson spends the money he has available...also on how close to normal Walker is after his injury...the draft...and if the Oline can come together. Lots of question marks..but certainly not depleted...and in no way is it crazier to say that team (which had won year after year after year) to win 10 games.

I like the Browns pick. The talent purge last season was reminiscent of BB taking over in NE. NOt all bad players that they jetted, but players not willing to commit to playing their best every down. Another year of FA, and a solid draft, and they're probably a 9-10 win team. I don't like the Bills pick, because they took **** Jauron as a HC. Maybe he's redesigned his offense, but if he brings the same thing to the table, they will be pathetic, like a 4-5 win season. Jets-I like it. Especially if they can get a QB in there to take over for Chad when he goes down. Or better yet. If the 10 months this year allow him to heal properly. I think he came back to soon. Their D is very underrated, and it was also overexposed because the Offense could do nothing w/ the ball. Miami seems fashionable to pick, because they won 6 in a row to close. Too old, and the QB spot is a major concern. I see 9 wins at the most next season. Baltimore. Reed and Lewis will be back and healthy. That'll shore up the D a bit. Then you've got Boller who played pretty good ball at the end of the year coming back. They've got receivers to catch the ball and make plays. It's between the Browns and Ravens to take second in that division. It's the Bengals to lose for at least 2 years. J'ville-Not a huge improvement expected, but I think they'll take that division next season. Arizona. I think they'll finish second. I can't see Seattle letting Alexander go, uncompensated. It just aint happenin'. They'll be right there next year, with the Cardinals right behind them, unless SF can come up, and I think they may. In SF, I love the Turner hire. He's the epitome of a guy who is a great OC, but horrible HC> The SF D was actually pretty good last season, at times. Ball hawking, and scoring when they took it away. Put them on the field less, and they're much improved. Also the year of experience will help. They'll get a few more solid players in the draft also. Good coaching will help too. I'm not sold on Kubes in Houson. They need a better line, and better defensive players. I can't see a 1 year turn there, uinless he can do more with the abundance of offensive talent they have than I expect. Possible, but I wouldn't take that bet. Philly will bounce back solidly.

Users who are viewing this thread