What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL 2021 less cap + more games = explain (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
The cap “almost definitely” will be $182.5 million.

That would represent a drop of $15.7 million from last year’s cap of $198.2 million. The reduction arises directly from the financial losses incurred during the pandemic.

NFL plans to add 17th game for 2021 season

More games = more injuries meaning teams are going to have to sign more players as the season unfolds but will have less cap room to maneuver.

I figure this 'may'/'should' have an effect on how teams approach the draft.  You figure they'd draft more depth at positions that suffer most injuries DBs/O-Line etc. due to an extra game.  I 'thought' they would add an extra roster spot or two so teams would carry more players, i.e., they'd have a few more salaries at the far side of the roster/cap which would mean MORE CAP SPACE but they just cut the cap so I'm flummoxed.

I honestly don't know how this plays out.  

Anyone?   

Andrew Brandt did a short piece on NFL Cap 101 a few weeks ago --> https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/02/business-of-football-understanding-the-salary-cap-dead-money

There are a few cap myths that need to be busted every year.  I think most people understand the cap is calculated using a percentage of the prior season's revenue, currently 47%.  This will go to 48% if a 17th game is added, but no higher for the life of this CBA.  Also, ever NFL team (and every player, fan, reporter, etc.) knew as of last July that the cap would be no lower than $175m and no higher than $185m.  No NFL teams are surprised in the slightest bit by the announcement today.  Finally, a big one that Brandt harps on constantly:

I heard they are keeping some of the rules they implemented last year such as expanded roster. Practice squad and more IR flexibility.

I haven't looked into the details on that, but it should help the depth for the extra game.

Only the top 45 contracts count against the cap, so additional players does not affect that.

sI heard they are keeping some of the rules they implemented last year such as expanded roster. Practice squad and more IR flexibility.

I haven't looked into the details on that, but it should help the depth for the extra game.

Only the top 45 contracts count against the cap, so additional players does not affect that.
The big question is how teams will adjust in the draft knowing the league has added an extra game which will equate to more injuries.  Basically some teams 'should' adjust FA signings and draft to adding depth later in the year heading into the playoffs.  

No one seems to have covered how an extra game will affect draft strategies of playoff teams.  I'm sure the analytic FOs are all over this.

The big question is how teams will adjust in the draft knowing the league has added an extra game which will equate to more injuries.  Basically some teams 'should' adjust FA signings and draft to adding depth later in the year heading into the playoffs.  

No one seems to have covered how an extra game will affect draft strategies of playoff teams.  I'm sure the analytic FOs are all over this.
Well the CBA basically increased players percentage of the cap from 47% to 48% of total revenue in exchange for playing the extra game.

Revenue went down and players salaries will be reduced on a pro rated basis, so that isn't necessarily putting teams in a bind either.

The new free agent contracts are usually over priced, but because of the reduced revenue in 2020 they wont be escalating the same way they would in a NFL that is ever increasing revenue. It may get back to that in 2021 and beyond, but for now the new contracts shouldnt be as large as they would have been with revenue increasing as it did for like the past 20 or so seasons.

Big time players will still get big contracts. Teams just have to manage that as far as how they are spending on their top 45 guys. Some teams are in better position to spend on top players than others are.

Users who are viewing this thread