What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL All time records (1 Viewer)

Juicecore

Footballguy
I was just perusing some of the all time records over at Drinen's Pro-football-reference.com... Had a few thoughts...

- There's no way Brett Favre retires. He's 24 TD passes short of Dan Marino's record..... I think he breaks it this year.

- Jerry Rice's receiving records are ridiculous. 22895 yards and 197 tds.... He is also the all time leader in yards from scrimage with 23540. The next 9 people on the list after him are running backs.....

- I didn't realize that Tiki Barber led the league in yards from scrimage in each of the last two seasons... 2096 in 2004 and 2390 last year which is second of all time to Marshall Faulk's 2429 in 1999.

- Curtis Martin is 4254 yards shy of Emmit's rushing record.... He's 33 now and coming off injury.... I'd love to see him make a run at it, but he needs 3-4 good years.....

Thats it for now.... :popcorn:

- Curtis Martin is 4254 yards shy of Emmit's rushing record.... He's 33 now and coming off injury.... I'd love to see him make a run at it, but he needs 3-4 good years.....
sadly, CMart doesn't have 3-4 good years left.

The odds are certainly stacked against him, but with that training regimen if anyone can do it - its Cumart....

By contrast, I don't think he's washed up.... yet. He's got another solid season in him.

I was just perusing some of the all time records over at Drinen's Pro-football-reference.com... Had a few thoughts...

- There's no way Brett Favre retires. He's 24 TD passes short of Dan Marino's record..... I think he breaks it this year.

- Jerry Rice's receiving records are ridiculous. 22895 yards and 197 tds.... He is also the all time leader in yards from scrimage with 23540. The next 9 people on the list after him are running backs.....

- I didn't realize that Tiki Barber led the league in yards from scrimage in each of the last two seasons... 2096 in 2004 and 2390 last year which is second of all time to Marshall Faulk's 2429 in 1999.

Interesting info.1st point: I don't think Favre really cares

2nd point: I hope everyone appreciated him while he played

3rd point: I didn't think Barber got that close to Faulk

4th point: He's probably got 2000 yards left in him at most IMO.

Thats it for now....  :popcorn:

[1] How could anyone not?... I mean we're talking the most passing yards in the history of the NFL..... I think any competetive athlete cares... Yes, he's a team player and would trade the record for another superbowl... But come on.... Thats quite an honour and something I think he would regret missing out on if he retired now.[2] He's not called Goat for nothing

[3] Barber ran the ball better than anyone in the NFL this year. HOF material one day.

[4] I think Cumart has a few years left in him and feel he has a shot at that record assuming the Jets can field a decent team which is a big assumption at this point giving the uncertainty at the QB position.... But I think when its all said and done, rb longevity will be measured in comparison the Curtis Martin for years to come.

[1] How could anyone not?... I mean we're talking the most passing yards in the history of the NFL..... I think any competetive athlete cares... Yes, he's a team player and would trade the record for another superbowl... But come on.... Thats quite an honour and something I think he would regret missing out on if he retired now.
Have you never heard of Barry Sanders?

Thats it for now....  :popcorn:

[1] How could anyone not?... I mean we're talking the most passing yards in the history of the NFL..... I think any competetive athlete cares... Yes, he's a team player and would trade the record for another superbowl... But come on.... Thats quite an honour and something I think he would regret missing out on if he retired now.
Have you never heard of Barry Sanders?
Touche.... But I believe Favre cares about that record and I also believe he loves football more than Sanders did....

If Favre doesn't think records are important than I wonder why he laid down for Strahan?
good pointhe either thought that records were important and he wanted Strahan to have it

or

he thought the record meant nothing and thus didn't personally care that it got broken

Remember two years ago, when the speculation was that Randy Moss would beat Jerry Rice's records?

This is how it stood after 6 years in the NFL:

Receiving Yards:

Moss 8375

Rice 7876

Rec. Td's

Moss 79

Rice 77

Now, after 8 years, this is how it stands:

Receiving Yards

Rice 10584

Moss 10147

Rec Td's

Rice 101

Moss 100

If Moss was going to beat Rice's records, he was going to have to get out ahead, because there was no way he was going to match Rice's commitment and longevity.

He won't catch Jerry Rice.

To break Rice's record you will need to be Terrell Owens with the durability of Bruce Matthews or Ray Brown and the single minded focus of Rice, very tough combo..........

An unthinkable career for Jerry Rice. Reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's career (not that I care about hocky, just read it in TSN). If Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he'd still be the NHL's all-time leading scorer.

Records are made to be broken, but...

Remember two years ago, when the speculation was that Randy Moss would beat Jerry Rice's records?

This is how it stood after 6 years in the NFL:

Receiving Yards:

Moss 8375

Rice 7876

Rec. Td's

Moss 79

Rice 77

Now, after 8 years, this is how it stands:

Receiving Yards

Rice 10584

Moss 10147

Rec Td's

Rice 101

Moss 100

If Moss was going to beat Rice's records, he was going to have to get out ahead, because there was no way he was going to match Rice's commitment and longevity.

He won't catch Jerry Rice.
Moss has definitely hit a rut on his pursuit to beat out Rice's records. He still has a chance, having just turned 29. He's still got a good 6-10 years in him physically. It's his heart for the game that I question...

Does a moron who is more interested in touchdown dances have a chance at breaking that record? I don't care how talented you are when you hit about 34 and wake up on a Monday morning you will feel like retiring, only somebody with the discipline of martial artist can approach this record. Moss is more interested in styling...........

At Marvin Harrison's career pace, he'll need to play about 8 more seasons to surpass Rice (rec, yards and TDs), playing that 8th season at 41 years of age.

Randy Moss will have to play about 9 seasons at the pace that he set during his first 6 years (88-1396-12.8) to pass Rice. He'd be 37 during that 9th season.

Tory Holt's pace over the last three seasons: 104-1466-10. Pretty nice, ey? Try doing it for 9 more years (he'd be 37). And that's just for receptions and yards. The TD record wouldn't come for Holt until his 42nd birthday.

Terrel Owens? His per game pace over the past six seasons leaves him about 135 games shy of Rice. Assuming he could stay healthy and content for 9 years (full 16 game seasons) he too would pass Jerry Rice as he turned 42.

Putting this in perspective: Larry Fitzgerald, using just last years production (103-1409-10). Repeat those numbers 15 times over and when you turn 36, you too will be considered the greatest receiver to ever live.

At Marvin Harrison's career pace, he'll need to play about 8 more seasons to surpass Rice (rec, yards and TDs), playing that 8th season at 41 years of age.

Randy Moss will have to play about 9 seasons at the pace that he set during his first 6 years (88-1396-12.8) to pass Rice. He'd be 37 during that 9th season.

Tory Holt's pace over the last three seasons: 104-1466-10. Pretty nice, ey? Try doing it for 9 more years (he'd be 37). And that's just for receptions and yards. The TD record wouldn't come for Holt until his 42nd birthday.

Terrel Owens? His per game pace over the past six seasons leaves him about 135 games shy of Rice. Assuming he could stay healthy and content for 9 years (full 16 game seasons) he too would pass Jerry Rice as he turned 42.

Putting this in perspective: Larry Fitzgerald, using just last years production (103-1409-10). Repeat those numbers 15 times over and when you turn 36, you too will be considered the greatest receiver to ever live.
Right. And don't get injured.

Rice was widely assisted by rule changes, so I suspect addition rule changes will increase the productivity of tomorrow's wide receivers.

If Favre doesn't think records are important than I wonder why he laid down for Strahan?
good pointhe either thought that records were important and he wanted Strahan to have it

or

he thought the record meant nothing and thus didn't personally care that it got broken
Agreed.... Rice's records are the hardest to beat IMO because someone would have to play at a high level for about 20 years... It will happen one day... But MOSS just doesn't seem to be the type to have that type of committment to the game. Personally, I think Harrison or Holt are the guys playing today that have the best chance, but so many things can happen over the years that they would need a lot of luck to do it.... THey would need to stay injury free, always be playing with good quarterbacks, and like Cracker said - play into their 40s...

Last edited by a moderator:
An unthinkable career for Jerry Rice. Reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's career (not that I care about hocky, just read it in TSN). If Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he'd still be the NHL's all-time leading scorer.

Now that's off the hook! :loco:

Yeah only Gretzky and Wilt Chamberlin for rebounding records are comparable........
I'd have to add Nolan Ryan's strikeout records as well.
Wellll....Nolan Ryan has 5,714 Ks. He retired at age 47. If Randy Johnson (age 42) could find a way to play 6 more seasons (highly unlikely...but you would have said that about Nolan Ryan at age 42 as well)...he has a shot. He's about 1300 behind. I'd certainly bet against it...but it's not untouchable. If Johnson doesn't get there though...you have to go to the guys who are 23 years old and predict a 20-year career for them. Good luck with that.

For receivers I like Don Hudson's T.D per game ratio.
Top 10 with 100+ career games:
Code:
GMS TDS  TD/GDon Hutson      116  99  0.85Randy Moss      125  98  0.78Marvin Harrison 154 110  0.71Terrell Owens   142 101  0.71Art PowelL      117  81  0.69Jerry RicE      286 194  0.68Lance Alworth   136  85  0.63Mike Quick      101  61  0.60Sterling Sharpe 112  65  0.58Pete Pihos      107  61  0.57

Now that's off the hook! :loco:
One of my favorite Gretzky stats is that amongst the all-time seasons with most assists, he has 10 of the top 11. I think he's missing #8 or something like that.

To tell you the truth, Randy Moss has me worried and I think that Jerry's records are REALLY, REALLY safe from him.

He has lost significant time in the past two years from mysterious muscle injuries which did not heal; both injuries were a result of contact and I find it extremely unsettling that his leg muscles gave out as a result of contact and not from actually running.

He had a new QB this past year which did not work out to everyones expectations. Collins had one of his top years ever and was still released ... Moss broke a 1,000 yards again with 16.8 ypc, but he was pedestrian after he was injured ...

He will likely have a new QB again this year.

He is in a system where there are other "give me the ball" players which will take away from him being the first look; anywhere on the field including the Red Zone.

He was extremely lacadasical for my blood last year ...

I don't know if any one cares, but did you guys see Rice in the Pro's Vs. Joes.

He made the guys look like 3 year old girls with McMahon throwing to him. Think what he would have done in his prime with a familiar QB!

If Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he'd still be the NHL's all-time leading scorer.
Can someone please help me wrap my brain around this statement? Do they get credit for a score after an assist?

If Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he'd still be the NHL's all-time leading scorer.
Can someone please help me wrap my brain around this statement? Do they get credit for a score after an assist?
Points = Goals + AssistsSo, Gretzky has more assists in his career than any other player has goals and assists.

Users who are viewing this thread