What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Draft 2010 Rounds 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I usually leave the draft analysis to the grown ups like Bloom and the Draftguys but I was watching the combine and just could not help myself from writing...what started as a simple spreadsheet turned into 18 pages of rambling. I actually get more out of writing these than anyone. I did get pretty cavalier with what I felt were possible trade partners. I know some of the picks are somewhat outlandish and the combine is going ot shake things up, FA, etc...but it's a start point and I can change it as need be. I hope you at least have some pages to print out, read at the john, and you know what to do it after that :clap:

1.01 Tampa Bay (via trade)- Ndamukong Suh DT, Nebraska:

Quite frankly, St Louis has a lot of needs, but the good news is they have teams that want this pick. I believe the Rams need to make an effort to fill several large holes on both sides of the ball. The other good news in my opinion is that the NFC West especially with Kurt Warner retiring is going to be wide open for them. I want to go thru the scenarios of the options on the table but I want to stress what a mistake it would be if they stand pat and draft Bradford or Clausen here.

The reason I say that is because they can get a QB at least 2 picks down form here simply because the two teams behind them picked QBs in the 1st round last year to build their offenses around. And Tampa Bay has a hard on for Suh, as do a lot of other teams but I believe that St Louis can use this to their advantage. They can slide down two spots to #3 and still have their choice of QB. Maybe even slide down again if they were to pull the trigger on Michael Vick which I think is a much better idea. With the extra picks they could get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom while Vick starts for the next couple years and takes some pressure off a very suspect OL.

If St Louis walks up to the podium on draft day and announces either Clausen or Bradford as their #1 selection they are simply stupid. And IMO they would be setting the franchise back another 3-5 years when they are in a position to compete and quickly if they do this right. I am going to say they take Tampa's offer and slide down from the 1.01 to the 1.03, and they will receive Tampa's 2.10 and 3.03 as compensation for sliding back 2 picks and still getting the guy they want. It's a deep draft for the OL/DL this year and extra picks means they can address this in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If St Louis stays put they better select Suh because he would not only start but also IMO increase the value of some other high picks the Rams have made over the past 3-4 years. So taking Suh might improve not only the DT spot but also 1-2 other positions along the DL.

1.02 Detroit- Gerald McCoy DT, Oklahoma:

Really not a lot to write about here because I think they will select a DT and be delighted to grab Gerald McCoy. I really don't think McCoy is the same as Suh at all but everyone else seems to believe they are close. The Lions have no run defense since the departure of Shaun Rogers so I feel they will plug this hole so they can get better up the middle. They still need a lot of help but the defense has to start making strides if they are ever going to get out of the cellar here.

1.03 St Louis (via trade)-Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma:

Can argue against this pick a lot but they need a new face for a franchise that needs to gain support before the owners start threatening a move. I still feel they should bring in another QB to play while Bradford is groomed. I don't believe Bradford is NFL ready but the QB position is a glaring need for St Louis.

1.04 Washington- Russell Okung LT, Oklahoma State:

Mike Shanahan has the luxury of probably putting together a true 5 year plan. Dan Snyder has been friends with him for a long time and I think like Gibbs that Snyder will let him do his thing. I want to think that Shanny pulls the trigger and gets a franchise QB but I can't find one in this draft. There are plenty of QBs however I like at much better prices then right here. Samuels is likely to retire but he has had injuries and is getting long in the tooth. Shanny knows what he can do with a strong athletic OL but you really need the beef at LT to protect Campbell and get him settled down.

Okung is the real deal, and his is athletic,. 6 foot 5,only about 300-305 pounds which for the modern OLineman in the NFL is nothing these days. I think Washington has a new sheriff in town and Shanahan will put a winning product on the field. The Skins need a QB but the OL needs serious help.

1.05 San Francisco (via trade)-Eric Berry Safety, Tennessee:

The Niners need Safety help almost as much as anyone in this draft. They have a couple of 1st rounder and it is possible they can work a trade with KC, likely their 2nd rounder this year and perhaps another pick from their 2011 draft, maybe another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

San Fran needs some pop in that secondary and they have talent on their defense along the DL and some of their LBs too. It's time to get better up the middle at Safety and pull the trigger here.

1.06 Seattle- Anthony Davis LT, Rutgers:

Seattle needs help along the OL which is a ringing theme for a lot of teams around here. I am not sold on all these OT so high in the draft but Seattle has to improve their OL or it's going to be a quicker retirement for Matt Hasselbeck. I think they can venture a little more with their second pick but at this point I would play it close to the vest and get some beef for the OL. Seattle does have a need obviously for a RB but it's too early to draft one of them here.

1.07 Cleveland- Carlos Dunlap DE, Florida:

Cleveland actually doesn't have the amount of weakness at positions like LT, and QB like many other teams in and around here. Mangini wants to continue the 3-4 push and Dunlap is a 6 foot 6, 280-290 lb DE that can also get to the QB so he is an ideal DE for this defense. I won't be surprised at almost anyone that Celveland would take here including the possibilities of Dez Bryant but they have spent high picks on skill positions over the past several years and those guys are all gone so maybe they might want to look at upgrading the front seven on defense.

They now have to try and vault Pitt, Balt, and Cinci…all these teams have good strong defenses and if Cleveland wants to crawl out of the bottom they need to get stronger on defense upfront.

1.08 Oakland- Joe Haden CB, Florida:

They have a chance to have the best tandem at DB sine the days of Hayes/Haynes and this is a no brainer. Haden started as a rookie at one of the best colleges for football in the country. Guy is a stud, has great reaction time to the ball and he's dangerous once he gets his hands on it.

Oakland could use help on the OL but they don't usually draft on needs. They probably could use another QB but they will probably roll with Russell on a short leash and Gradkowski ready to jump in. Even if they want another QB they can get one later and groom him for a year. This team is better than many think but a lot of people in here know how dangerous Oakland could be if they had better leadership at Owners, HC, and QB.

1.09 Buffalo- Jimmy Clausen QB, Notre Dame:

Chan Gailey will want to build an offense around Clausen and they are also a team that could get into the Vick sweepstakes. They need help on the OL but they are a long way from a solid offense but getting their QB situation settled would help. There is a reason they are cellar dwellers right now and until they get the QB situation settled they aren't going anywhere. Clausen falling into their laps will fill a big need for them.

1.10 Denver- Dan Williams DT, Tennessee:

They are going to wish they could have gotten their hands on Dunlap who would have made an excellent 3-4 DE for them but they will settle for Williams and try to get stronger up the middle. I also think they could reach here and perhaps look at a couple other Des that might fit the bill.

1.11 Jacksonville- Derrick Morgan DE, Georgia Tech:

The Jags once upon a time had a real strong DL and were looking like Super Bowl dark horses. They need to get better in their front seven, especially with keeping JDR around for another year, I expect them to try and get a better pass rush to attack guys like Manning and Schaub. They were a potential Wildcard team until they collapsed down the stretch. Morgan is big, 6 foot 6 and 270 lbs, could add a few more pounds if they want but he can pair up with Harvey and form a very nice pass rush out of their starting DEs.

1.12 Miami- Rolando McClain ILB, Alabama:

The Dolphins need a NT, and a bunch of LBs. I hope they sign Dansby but people have questioned if he can fit in the Miami 3-4 scheme as Arizona runs a more 4-3 approach. I like McClain but I wish they could get a DT around here because of all the depth in some of the later rounds. Still if they draft McCalin from Alabama and pair him with Crowder inside they could be building a very lethal 1-2 punch out of the ILB spots in this 3-4 defense. Maybe they get lucky and someone will drop to them in the 2nd although I have some ideas for what they should draft in the 2nd.

Bill Parcells loves guys with a lot of beef. McCalin is 6 foot 4 and 255+ lbs so he won't get pushed around inside. Miami needs their next great LB to help reshape this front seven and McClain will help out immediately.

1.13 Kansas City (via trade)- Brian Baluga OT, Iowa:

Branden Albert regressed last year to the point they might have to move him to RT and start looking for another person to draft to protect Cassell. They need a lot of help along the OL plain and simple. They need help on defense too but the OL needs a lot more. If they can find some folks via FA they might not have quite as big a need but I can see KC going OL in the 1st and 2nd round this year.

They went and got 2 supreme coordinators in Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis. I expect them to allow those guys to somewhat call the shots as far as what they need to succeed. Pioli will try and assemble whatever is needed for these 2. I even think Haley will be gone after next season and Weis will be promoted to HC, that's my opinion but I can see it happening.

They end up trading down and still get an impact guy for the OL. Baluga is only 20 years old, a true 3rd year Junior that they can groom. I always like picks that can impact other positions. If they take Baluga, move Albert to RT, no they have bookend Tackles potentially to build around. I like KC and I think they can get some real mileage out of this offense. They have Bowe and perhaps Chambers at WR, good young back with Charles, building up this OL is going to help them. The AFC West is a division where teams are in flux and although San Diego looks the best at the moment, some of the others can make big strides and close the gap.

1.14 Seattle- Mike Lupati OG, Idaho:

Again, they need a lot of help along the OL. Lupati is actually not a great pass blocker but he is a punishing run blocker and Seattle has a chance to really upgrade this OL and give a decent pass attack with Hass, TJ, Nate, and Carlson a chance to compete. They can go out and sign a Chester or Thomas Jones who will likely be let go by their teams.

They have Justin Forsett and there is talent in their LB corp so allow Carroll to work with that defense for a year which is one of his specialties and see what happens before you start moving it all around. They do need some DL help but they can make do with what they have for now. These are not sexy picks but they are justified. Seattle could also trade down with this pick as a lot of teams will see this as an opp to move up.

1.15 NY Giants- Earl Thomas Safety/DB, Texas:

Phillips really suffered a devastating injury last season and New York gives up too much in the passing game. They need some help out there and Thomas is perfect for them. I believe he can play either Safety position while they allow Kenny Phillips to completely heal. The Giants can go several ways here and also are a good trading partner as they might not mind sliding down further. Thomas also can function as a CB if they desire.

1.16 Tennesse-Jason Pierre Paul DE, South Florida:

Fact is the Titans are not afraid to go get who they want and even if Paul has some doubters they will jump all over him with this pick. They jumped on Chris Johnson a couple years ago and some scouts believe Paul is more of a top10 pick than many would like to believe. The fact is though he only recorded 6.5 sacks last year.

He's raw and could add weight if need be but the Titans run a 4-3 so he will fit nice on the end. Titans need a better pass rush to get after Manning and Schaub so look for them to grab what many have rated as the #1 DE for the 4-3 on the board.

1.17 Dallas (via trade) - Bruce Campbell OT, Maryland:

Dallas will quickly discover as others that have mock drafted for them that if they stay pat they won't fill what is likely to be one of their biggest needs. Protecting Tony Romo's blindside. Campbell will too much for them not to trade up 9 or 10 spots for and getting in front of Pittsburgh will secure this.

1.18 Pittsburgh- Charles Brown OT, USC:

The Steelers need help in their secondary but the problem is this draft is not loaded with a lot of DBs for them. They also need help along the OL so I believe they will try and use this pick for a Tackle.

Brown is really the last player on the board at this juncture that can play LT. Trent Williams is a popular pick from Oklahoma but he likely can only play RT so that is going to drop his stock a lot in the 1st round.

Big Ben needs time to throw to his weapons and this will also help the running game and push Mendenhall along as well. Pitt is not that far off from returning to a Super Bowl contender but it starts in the trenches.

1.19 Atlanta- Sean Weatherspoon OLB, Missouri:

Atlanta needs help on defense for sure, but they have a great QB and the idea of giving him a weapon like Dez Bryant to pair with Roddy White might be too much to pass up at this point in the draft. Still they have needs at DLE, OLB, and CB. LBs this year are a thin crop and Sean Weatherspoon runs a 4.5 40 so look for him to be gobbled up quickly here. He can rush the passer, also can cover very well too and he fits the 4-3 scheme here.

Mike Peterson has not been a great acquisition and Mike Smith will try and improve his front seven. Look for them to squeeze another year out of Abraham, perhaps line Weatherspoon behind him and move Peterson over behind Anderson at LDE.

1.20 Houston Texans- Donovan Warren CB, Michigan:

The Texans would probably love Lupati but he's gone and they let Dunta Robinson walk or will be letting him go soon…so their attention turns towards CB and Warren had a pretty strong Senior Bowl. They might be reaching just a smidge here but they have to address this position one way or another. A DT is also somewhere on their list.

1.21 Cincinnati- Taylor Mays Safety, Southern Cal:

Another team that probably needs help along the interior of their OL as they evolve more and more into a power running team. This would again be a team that probably could embrace a Dez Bryant with the passing of Chris Henry last year but as I said, this team is evolving into a power running team.

A thumper like Mays is just what they need. Guy runs a 4.4, is 6 feet 3 and 230+ lbs according to the numbers I have read. This is exactly what Cinci needs to dish out punishment. Pitt has TPol, Balt has Reed, Cinci wants one for themselves too. Mays is nto a great cover Safety but Cinci has good DBs that can cover 1 on 1, Mays will help shut down the run.

1.22 St Louis (via trade) - Dez Bryant WR, Oklahoma State:

Time to cash in some of these extra picks they acquired so they can get some weapons around Bradford. I actually like a couple of the WRs for the Rams but a guy like Bryant can come in and probably start in the WR1 slot almost right away. He would elevate the entire stable of WRs and give Donnie Avery a much easier one on one opposite him. Probably be able to grab this guy for the 2.01 and their 2.10. This selection will spark the fan base too.

1.23 Green Bay- CJ Spiller RB, Clemson:

This guy is going to be a great RB to bring in alongside Ryan Grant. Spiller can learn the offense slowly as a rookie and gain a lot of experience. He can give Grant a breather every 3rd series and be brought in for special packages as well. Also adds an element to the return game. Spiller can catch a lot of balls as he had 36 for 500 last year, those are very strong numbers so he might be the 3rd down back quickly too.

Grant is alright but he is pretty ho hum as well. Not a lot of explosiveness but he can move the chains so it makes sense to pair him with a playmaker.

1.24 Philadelphia- Everson Griffin DE, Southern Cal:

They are going to hurt a bit if Spiller is that close and they don't nab him but I see them also looking for someone opposite Cole so when they don't blitz they can still get some heat on the QB. The Eagles still have McCoy they can roll with and also they can address this in another round or two.

1.25 Baltimore- Brandon Graham OLB, Michigan:

Dez Bryant is off the board and maybe if that is the guy they must have then a trade up will occur. But I see the Ravens filling the WR hole thru FA, perhaps TO, maybe someone else but the Ravens are built to win now. They need to draft players that can help them win a championship now and Graham will fit in as OLB. Graham is only a little over 6 feet but he has been compared to the likes of LaMarr Woodley. He can line up opposite Suggs and help increase the pass rush for the Ravens.

1.26 Arizona- Jared Veldheer OT, Hillsdale:

The Cards need some help along the OL to protect Leinart who needs an eternity to throw and also to help move the running game to the next level. They have the horses they need at RB at this point, they simply need to open up some holes. A running game would go a long way in softening the Kurt Warner retirement. I do see AZ drafting a QB but it will be later in the draft and probably someone they can groom.

Veldheer might be a reach but he has the althleticism needed at the next level. If you need to find a LT and you draft a guy that can really only play RT, what good does that do? People can laugh at this pick but I believe he will go a lot higher than most imagine.

1.27 San Fran (via trade) – Trent Williams OT, Oklahoma

Ninerfans should rejoice if this plays out like I have mapped. For some reason many experts have SF going RB in the 1st round but I believe they can find what they need to pair with Gore via FA. Darren Sproles would make a nice compliment and SD isn't bringing him back. Sproles would add some pop in the pass catching game as well as Special Teams.

The Niners need some help along the OL too and Trent Willaims is said to be strictly a RT. I think San Fran can go with Staley at LT and the addition of Williams will help out their run game but also help protect Alex Smith who suddenly is the 2010 starter. San Fran will have done their homework and realize most teams that need an OT are trying to fill LT positions.

So in the end they trade their 2nd this year to move up to get their Safety, they turnaround and pick another 2nd rounder up by trading down 10 slots. They will likely lose a 2011 2nd or 3rd to move up but all in all they are coming out ahead I believe.

1.28 San Diego- Terrance Cody, DT Alabama:

Jamal Williams is getting really long in the tooth and is coming off an injury that ended his 2009 season. San Diego needs to get stronger up the middle. They could use some help on the OL but there really isn't anything right here to make them do cartwheels so I believe they will look to beef up the DL. They can whip Cody into shape and put a weight clause in his contract. If Cody weren't quite so heavy I believe he would be off the board already. He is very disruptive in the running game and can play at least 1st and 2nd down for the Bolts.

1.29 NY Jets- Jahvid Best RB, California:

With the expected release of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington suffering a devastating leg break in 2009 I believe the Jets are going to be a team that needs to look at keeping their RB stable strong. They have a good thing going and maybe they can find a pass rusher via FA. There aren't a lot of sure fire guys here and the Jets needs to focus on scoring more points. The defense will be fine with Ryan all over their actions.

Best will do great in a 2 back attack and can contribute immediately. I also won't be surprised if the Jets think about a WR here to help Sanchez. The Jets are on the right track although they might take a step back this season.

1.30 Minnesota- Dan LeFevour QB, Central Michigan:

They have the luxury of reaching a bit for their future QB. I do think Brett Favre will return for 1 more year, what better than bring in a guy they can allow to sit for a year in anticipation of him taking over as early as year 2. Sage is a journeyman and TJax is never going to be a starter although he's fine off the bench.

There are always crazy picks in the draft and at this point there isn't anything screaming must take for them. They need help in the secondary but there really isn't anything here that will come right in and start. Maybe they can sign a couple FAs to help fill the need.

1.31 Indianapolis- Rodger Saffold OT, Indiana:

His stock is rising and Indy needs to be able to protect Manning, he really is the team. No doubt Manning will lobby for it and likely get it come draft day. It's a good pick for Indy who likely is well aware if this guy's talent. He is rising up draft boards and havs some versatility. This is a guy who could come in and play pretty quickly, he was a 4 year starter.

1.32 New Orleans- Sergio Kindle OLB, Texas:

The Saints could go a lot of directions but I like them totry and upgrade here as they need help. Fujite and Shanle are pretty average vets. They could go DT with someone like Odrick but I believe they will get a little more mileage from an OLB at this point. They can look at some of the other DT later in the 2nd round, none really leap out at you right here.

Kindle had 10 sacks in 2008, his Senior season was a little rough but he has 4.5 speed and is a 255 lb monster. His athleticism is what New Orleans is going to love. He is an instant start IMO.

2.01 New England- Brandon LaFell WR, LSU:

LaFell will help settle the WR stable down some. This will allow Edelman to start the season while Welker is working his way back. No way elker will be able to go week 1 full throttle, in fact he might be out a good portion of 2010. New England needs to upgrade their offense almost as much as their defense. They seemed to get old quickly. They can pick up a RB or osme things on defense a few slots down form here. They have 4 picks in the 2nd round the way I worked the draft and I think it will pay off and you will see them do very well.

LaFell is consistent with 61/903/8 TD his Junior year and he followed that up with 57/792/11 TDs his Senior year. Might not be very flashy but he will compliment Randy Moss well this year. He can start immediately for New England.

2.02 Detroit- Willie Young DE, NC State:

The Lions a mass overhaul on that DL and what better way to add to their high pick in the 1st round with McCoy. They have chance to really get this turned around.

Young was a second team all ACC but he had 8 sacks, 55 tackles and generally was pretty good at wrecking havoc. He is only about 250 lbs but he's prefect for a 4-3 DE and the Lions need a pass rush. They need a lot of things but the prospects for them at OL here are not super. Young might feel like a reach here but I believe Schwartz will continue to try and improve this defense so they can double their win total to 4 this year.

2.03 Tampa Bay- Damian Williams WR, Southern Cal:

1st round talent here. They have let Antonio Bryant possibly walk and they don't have enough talent behind that to ignore WR in the draft. Josh Freeman needs some weapons and they can help him out with this pick. I like Williams and think he has a chance to be solid. Needs to add about 10-20 lbs but he runs about a 4.45 which is pretty solid and should help him get some separation.

2.04 Kansas City- Jared Odrick DT, Penn State:

I like this pick as they need to get better up the middle. They drafted to help the offense in the 1st, now they turn around and get better along their DL. Odrick was solid last year with 6 sacks and 41 Tackles including 10 TFL. He probably would have gone higher but had some off field issues that likely prevent a 1st round selection.

2.05 Jacksonville (via trade)- Tim Tebow QB, Florida:

Guy was cheered over and over again at the Senior Bowl. People line up to watch him play and the fan base in Jacksonville would be strong for the next 2-3 years if this guy is in the organization. Weaver has dollar signs in mind and is willing to part with a 2011 1st rounder as well as their 2010 3rd rounder.

Mike Shanahan will be discouraged as he also was looking for LeFevour but will go to plan B. Shanny can pull this off and start his rebuilding by getting more picks. A 2 for 1 and an upgrade for another 1st rounder in 2011…Washington is not gonna be that good this season so you might as well keep adding blocks for the future.

2.06 Cleveland- Nate Allen FS, South Florida:

The Browns need help at Safety and there are a lot of way s they can approach this. I also like Chad Jones form LSU but Allen manages to make plays times and time again plus he has a terrific work ethic. I expect Cleveland to try and upgrade their defense sooner rather than later. The offense started to come around late in the season, look for more help on the defense.

2.07 Oakland- Mike Petrus OG, Arkansas:

The Raiders need to be able to run the ball better. They have a nice ensemble at RB it seems and they aren't likely to turn into a wide open pass attack any time soon. The Tackles have been picked thru pretty good so look for them to focus their attention on the interior of their OL which has takena hit the past couple of seasons.

Petrus benched 225 a total of 45 times at the combine which tied a record. I believe his stock is going ot rise and many scouts will be looking at him. They took DHB in the top10 last year so they certainly can reach at OG in the 2nd round.

2.08 Seattle- Maurkice Pouncey C, Florida:

The Seahawks will see the errors of their ways in ignoring their OL and rebuild this so they don't have to worry as much moving forward. This would give them an outstanding trio of young talent to overhaul the OL. Pouncey can play Center, Guard, and even Right Tackle if they like.

Rebuilding this OL is ognna make it easier to prolong Hass and also even a marginal vet like a Chester Taylor who ran for a 90+ yd run on them a few years back, those types of guys can come in and find success behind a strong young OL with a lot of pop in it. I know Carroll and crew are not going to draft the way I want them to but these picks all make sense to me.

2.09 Buffalo- Vladimir Ducasse OL, UMass:

They need help on their OL and this is a guy who can play a couple of different positions for them. The best way to improve their ground game and also try and build a line that can get Clausen some protection is to get an infusion of youth and talent on the OL. Ducasse to me would be a step in that direction.

2.10 New England (via trade) Corey Wootton DE, Northwestern:

They make it too easy for New England. Wootton goes at 6 foot 7 and 280+ lbs with room to grow. He can be a prototypical 3-4 DE and give them a trio of Warren, Wilfork who they tagged and Wootton…the 3 Ws. This kid had 16 TFL and 10 sacks his Junior year but dropped off his Senior season. I still believe he can fill the spot Seymour held until last season.

2.11 Miami- Jerry Hughes OLB, TCU:

This guy has a motor. He also racked 11.5 sacks and 16.5 TFL last season and was a prominent member for TCU on defense. He should fit in well in the 3-4 and will push for time immediately with Cameron Wade. Jason Taylor might play 1 more year but Miami has to plan for life after Taylor. I know Miami needs R help but they might have to look to FA, or trade something from the 2011 draft. Otherwise they simply need to take the BPA for their front seven. This plus McClain should set them up good for this year.

2.12 New England- Jermaine Gresham TE, Oklahoma:

They need to get this spot filled in as Watson and whatever else is on their roster just cannot get the job done. The passing game is key in New England, look for them to grab this guy who had 58/88/12 TDs as a Junior but his Senior year was cut short with kneed cartilage tear in his right knee. I think this will be steal if they can get him here.

2.13 Denver- Lamarr Houston DE, Texas:

He is 6 foot 5 and 300 lbs, he isn't fast but he is playing in a 3-4 defense and I think with the addition of Houston and Williams that Denver will have themselves a nice frontline for their 3-4. Houston is not a sure thing but he appears as though he could play all 3 positions along the DL if need be. Versatility will help make this an easy pick for Denver.

2.14 NY Giants- Cam Thomas DT, North Carolina:

He is a run stuffer and has had a great Senior Bowl that has many scouts touting him as possibly the #3 rated overall DT. The Giants need to get better up the middle, they addressed the Safety, look for them to continue the trend and draft an anchor for their DL.

2.15 New England- Eric Norwood OLB, South Carolina:

My math is so horrible as New England will now have 5 2nd round picks as they will pick again at 2.21. They might be able to swing a deal for Boldin the more I think about it however the idea that they can infuse this much talent and youth into the team is probably good. These contracts won't kill them and they can rebuild parts of this team very quickly.

Norwood is a 2 time All American, one of the best LB in the country and he should fit in nicely with their 3-4 scheme where he can rush the passer. This will give them 2 nice pieces of the puzzle for their front 7. With a revamped DL, Mayp another year wiser at ILB, this team should get it turned around on defense quickly.

2.16 Carolina- Tony Pike QB, Cincinnati:

I am a believer in him even if other outlets say different. I think he has some a lot of arm strength that is missing in Caolina right now. The Panther slikely need help at WR but they can't just roll out Delhomme and hope for the best next year. Pike won't be too costly for them and I think Carolina tens to surprise people when they draft, sure it's a bit of a reach but not that much if he ends up being a long term answer.

2.17 Kansas City (via trade) - Chad Jones SS, LSU:

The Chiefs already have plugged holes along both sides of the line, look for them to start filling in some of the DB positions here as they need to get better in pass coverage. Jones is rated as one of the best SS in this draft.

2.18 Kansas City (via trade) – Kyle Wilson CB, Boise State:

The Chiefs will have an opp to significantly make an impact on improving their defense in the 2nd round this year if they play their cards right. No one says they are even close to running their draft the way I would but the opp is there for them to move around if they want and collect extra picks so they can get things turned around a little quicker.

2.19 Houston- Ryan Mathews RB, Fresno State:

The Texans need a RB but don't need to overspend in the 1st round either. I like Mathews a lot and he did well even against the likes of better opponents such as Conci, Boise St, and Wisconsin. He will be in a 2 back system and not asked to carry the whole load. I like this pick a lot here and it seems to make perfect sense for the Texans.

2.20 Pittsburgh- Brandon Ghee CB, Wake Forrest:

1st round talent slipping into the 2nd. Did a great job against a potentially high WR pick in Demaryius Thomas who he kept in check when they faced off. Pittsburgh needs help in their secondary so look for them to make a move to improve that in the 2nd round.

2.21 New England- Golden Tate WR, Notre Dame:

I believe the injury to Welker will sideline him for much of the 2010 campaign. New England will see what Manning did with primarily a couple of young inexperienced WRs in Collie and Garcon and try and mimic the same thing in New England. Tate is a perfect slot receiver for Brady and he has more breakaway speed than a lot of slot guys. Aslo he can play the 2rd down role that Kevin Faulk has occupied for so long. Tate should have been selected already but that mistake will turn into good fortunes for New England.

2.22 Cincinnati- Arrelious Benn WR, Illinois:

The Nati needs a WR replacement and while I am not a Benn fan, there is a drop off after this guy so I would think Cinci might want to fill a need here. At this point in the draft though, almost any player can be justified to some degree.

2.23 Philadelphia- Morgan Burnett FS, Georgia Tech:

They could look at a RB here, also they are in the market for some help at CB and the interior of the OL where they seem to sustain a lot of injuries. I do think however what will help them a lot is an upgrade at Safety where they looked mighty average last year especially in back to back losses to Dallas in weeks 17 and Wildcard week.

2.24 Green Bay- Perrish Cox CB, Oklahoma State:

The Packers need help in the secondary, 51 they yielded to Arizona in the playoffs was proof of that. They could use help at Safety too but Cox has a lot to offer down here in the late 2nd.

2.25 Baltimore- Jimmy Graham TE, Univ of Miami:

Baltimore will see that the WR on the board are projects and they will grab a guy in the later rounds. Graham had a sensational combine and I look for him to move up draft boards big time. I witnessed him play last year and this guy has those special tools that players like Antonio Gates possess. He is athletic, played basketball and is running a 4.5 on his 6 foot 6 inch frame. He is nowhere near polished but they can groom him for a year or two behind Todd Heap as he wraps up his career at some point.

2.26 Arizona- Ricky Sapp OLB, Clemson:

They probably are losing Dansby and they need a pass rush guy. Sapp was very high on a lot of boards but has slipped lately too. Some love him, some question if he will ever be like he was pre-injury. I think he can be a good pass rushing OLB and he goes 6 foot 4, 245, runs a 4.6 which isn't off the charts fast but its still pretty quick. I think Arizona could do a lot worse than shoring up their OL and adding some pass rush in their 1st couple picks in the draft.

2.27 San Fran (via Dallas) - JD Walton, C/G, Baylor:

AP All American that will fit in well with Singletary. They need a better OL and can be in a position to get a couple of nice prospects to inject into that OL. Walton can either play Center or they can convert him to a Guard which would be fine. There are not a lot of good interior OL in this draft, I realize many want to push a RB to San Fran at some point but I believe they will shore up whatever they need in FA.

2.28 San Diego- Toby Gerhart RB, Stanford:

They will have to address the RB situation and perhaps they get nervous and grab Ryan Mathews but if they don't then look for them to try and fill this need in the 2nd or 3rd round. I have another wildcard at RB that I think could be a surprise pick for a few teams but still the 2nd round would be kinda high for LeGarrette Blount.

2.29 NY Jets- Devin McCourty CB, Rutgers:

Jets need another guy opposite Revis and this kid from Rutgers has a solid 2nd round grade. Devin might go even higher if someone feels they have a stronger need at DB.

2.30 Minnesota- Dominique Franks CB, Oklahoma:

They need help in their secondary to at least partially reflect the awesome DL they have assembled. I like Franks and he could probably come in and contribute right away. Nice speed and decent size too.

2.31 Indianapolis- Rob Gronkowski TE, Arizona:

More toys for Peyton. Dallas Clark is right about 30 and has been in the league a little longer than some think. Gronkowski had 47/670/10 TDs as a Sophomore and last year he had back problems that resulted in surgery. If he checks out OK he will be a steal for a team like Indy.

2.32 New Orleans- Colt McCoy QB, Texas:

Time to groom a decent back up for Drew Brees that they can hand over the controls in 4 or 5 years.

I hope you folks enjoy :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

Although, I doubt SD takes Gearhart in the 2nd. Dwyer's not making it out of the 2nd round, awful combine aside.

I didn't check for the outcome of the other coin flips, but your draft order doesn't reflect that Jacksonville won the coin flip between them and the Bears. The Jags have the 10th pick in the 1st round. I do like your idea of them trading back into the 2nd round because I've heard that as a possibility through the Jacksonville media. Not sure I like them drafting Tebow though, but I could see them trading back into the 2nd round to do that.

I wholeheartedly agree with your take on the Dolphins. They are looking defensive front 7 one way or another.

Much needed IMO because Smith and Davis can be a nice CB duo if we could get some QB pressure.

Please explain what happened to get the Pats out of the first round.
St Louis traded up and sent their 2.01 and 2.10 picks to New England so they could secure Dez Bryant...5 pikcs in the 2nd round for New Engladn as they overhaul the team basically...a playoff team that has the luxury to overhaul a team in one draft basically...it's just not fair but New England continues on.St Louis got the 2.10 form TB when they traded down from the 1.01 to the 1.03

Identicit already pointed it out, but you have Tony pike going to Carolina at 2.16 and New Orleans at 2.32 MOP

I didn't check for the outcome of the other coin flips, but your draft order doesn't reflect that Jacksonville won the coin flip between them and the Bears. The Jags have the 10th pick in the 1st round. I do like your idea of them trading back into the 2nd round because I've heard that as a possibility through the Jacksonville media. Not sure I like them drafting Tebow though, but I could see them trading back into the 2nd round to do that.
I won't say if Tebow can make it or not on the next level because he does have soemthing special going on within him. He has tenacity and I won't discount it. but you put me in the owner's chair for Jacksonville and I can sell 10,000-20,000 more tickets per game with Tebow on the team...sign me up.

I wholeheartedly agree with your take on the Dolphins. They are looking defensive front 7 one way or another.Much needed IMO because Smith and Davis can be a nice CB duo if we could get some QB pressure.
This nonsense of them taking Dez Bryant in the 1st is ludicrous. We did this 3 years ago with Tedd Ginn...granted Bryant is way better but they aren't going WR in the 1st. Miami is a dinosaur when it comes to how they are run.

hey MOPdidnt you bash me picking Mount Cody for SD in the shark pool mock just a few weeks ago???hmmmm
I bash you every chance I get you blue n yellow blooded sum gun. It just seems to work out that way, certainly SD can change that but if they don't get their run defense set it's gonna be a long season and Rivers will be a top3 QB to keep them in the games.

Identicit already pointed it out, but you have Tony pike going to Carolina at 2.16 and New Orleans at 2.32 MOP
Not sure what I was thinking but if Carolina passes on him certainly NO becomes an attractive team. I see NO though trying to bring in a QB they can groom long term or even as a guy to come in should Brees ever miss a start. I did drop Pike at 2.32 and inserted McCoy although I doubt a team takes him till round 4 or later.

2.27 San Fran (via Dallas) - JD Walton, C/G, Baylor:

AP All American that will fit in well with Singletary. They need a better OL and can be in a position to get a couple of nice prospects to inject into that OL. Walton can either play Center or they can convert him to a Guard which would be fine. There are not a lot of good interior OL in this draft, I realize many want to push a RB to San Fran at some point but I believe they will shore up whatever they need in FA.

Did the alumni connection influence this projection?

2.27 San Fran (via Dallas) - JD Walton, C/G, Baylor:AP All American that will fit in well with Singletary. They need a better OL and can be in a position to get a couple of nice prospects to inject into that OL. Walton can either play Center or they can convert him to a Guard which would be fine. There are not a lot of good interior OL in this draft, I realize many want to push a RB to San Fran at some point but I believe they will shore up whatever they need in FA.Did the alumni connection influence this projection?
Certainly doesn't hurt, what do you think of the idea? They need to get help on that OL if they are going to run with Smith. A more consistent running game and better pass protection. Walton would make an excellent selection for them.

I am ok with the Patriots trading out of the 1st round but under different circumstances. I think if CJ Spiller is there at 22 they will stay and pick hiim. He is special. If he isnt there then I can see them trading out. The value is fine on the trade I just dont like the picks. I think it is too early for Lafell and certainly dont think they will pick Lafell AND Golden Tate. The Pats drafted Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman last year and are expected to sign a veteran FA. Using 2 2nd rounders on WR seems a bit much. I like Norwood, Wooten and Gresham at that spot. Instead of 2 receivers I could see the Pats taking an offensive lineman and a running back. If Bodden doesnt resign, it could be a CB.

I'll tell you what MOP, if the Rams come out of the first 2 rounds with Bradford and Dez Bryant I will be the happiest fan on this forum.

I do think the RAMS are going to end up qith Bradford, I also hope it will be at 3 so they can save some $$$ and get some picks.

That would be incredable.....plus we would have 2 early picks is the 3rd with some very good players left.

Nice draft (would like to see what each team gave up in a trade)

I won't say if Tebow can make it or not on the next level because he does have soemthing special going on within him. He has tenacity and I won't discount it. but you put me in the owner's chair for Jacksonville and I can sell 10,000-20,000 more tickets per game with Tebow on the team...sign me up.
I don't know if Tebow can make it or not at the next level either, but I know that the Jags fans will show up if you put a winning product on the field. The reason they had so few fans at the games is two-fold I believe. First, the economy was in the tank last year and the Jags were coming off a 5-11 season in 2008. If anything is going to hurt attendance, a poor product in a bad economy will certainly do it. The fact that they had a sold out game against Indy on a Thursday night primetime game shows that the fans still care and will come out. You'll get more than 10,000-20,000 more tickets if you put a winning product on the field, thats what the owner should be focused on. I think you could lose 10,000-20,000 fans easily once the novelty of this guy wears off and you're still putting a poor product on the field.

Good stuff, but the Bucs will not give up two premium draft choices in this loaded draft to move up two spots to get Suh. I would bet an unhuman sum of money on it. I'm sure they love him, but they have a plethora of holes to fill, are lucky to have so many high picks in a stacked draft and just will not unload them.

Maybe a second and a player, but no way are they giving up two high picks. Bank on it.

I'll tell you what MOP, if the Rams come out of the first 2 rounds with Bradford and Dez Bryant I will be the happiest fan on this forum.I do think the RAMS are going to end up qith Bradford, I also hope it will be at 3 so they can save some $$$ and get some picks.That would be incredable.....plus we would have 2 early picks is the 3rd with some very good players left.Nice draft (would like to see what each team gave up in a trade)
Tampa Bay trades their 2.10 and 3.03 to move up and snare Suh.St Louis takes the 2.01 and their new 2.10 and moves back up into the 1st and snares Dez Bryant. New England now has 5 picks in the 2nd round.

Good stuff, but the Bucs will not give up two premium draft choices in this loaded draft to move up two spots to get Suh. I would bet an unhuman sum of money on it. I'm sure they love him, but they have a plethora of holes to fill, are lucky to have so many high picks in a stacked draft and just will not unload them. Maybe a second and a player, but no way are they giving up two high picks. Bank on it.
Here's my logic Capella, and I didn't really explain the Bucs side, mostly focused on St Louis. Tampa Bay drafted really well in the 90s but perhaps their biggest steal was Sapp because he was never supposed to be a Buc but he had a cocaine thing swirling so he fell a bit. Suh is everthing Sapp was and maybe more, the guy is going to be a one man wrecking crew for whoever gets him. He will make everyone around him better.Giving up a 2nd which they have 2 of already, and a 3rd which usually 3rd round picks are about 33% as far as panning out int he NFL...this is nothing tog et a possible 10 year starter at DT. The Bucs have got to get better on defense and it starts in the middle. They need to come out of this draft with the mindset that they will never have to pick top5 again so even if they pay up at the #1, the reward will be worth it. Suh gives them an identity on defense like Sapp did.

I am ok with the Patriots trading out of the 1st round but under different circumstances. I think if CJ Spiller is there at 22 they will stay and pick hiim. He is special. If he isnt there then I can see them trading out. The value is fine on the trade I just dont like the picks. I think it is too early for Lafell and certainly dont think they will pick Lafell AND Golden Tate. The Pats drafted Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman last year and are expected to sign a veteran FA. Using 2 2nd rounders on WR seems a bit much. I like Norwood, Wooten and Gresham at that spot. Instead of 2 receivers I could see the Pats taking an offensive lineman and a running back. If Bodden doesnt resign, it could be a CB.
points taken, will rethink it on version 2.

Good stuff, but the Bucs will not give up two premium draft choices in this loaded draft to move up two spots to get Suh. I would bet an unhuman sum of money on it. I'm sure they love him, but they have a plethora of holes to fill, are lucky to have so many high picks in a stacked draft and just will not unload them. Maybe a second and a player, but no way are they giving up two high picks. Bank on it.
Here's my logic Capella, and I didn't really explain the Bucs side, mostly focused on St Louis. Tampa Bay drafted really well in the 90s but perhaps their biggest steal was Sapp because he was never supposed to be a Buc but he had a cocaine thing swirling so he fell a bit. Suh is everthing Sapp was and maybe more, the guy is going to be a one man wrecking crew for whoever gets him. He will make everyone around him better.Giving up a 2nd which they have 2 of already, and a 3rd which usually 3rd round picks are about 33% as far as panning out int he NFL...this is nothing tog et a possible 10 year starter at DT. The Bucs have got to get better on defense and it starts in the middle. They need to come out of this draft with the mindset that they will never have to pick top5 again so even if they pay up at the #1, the reward will be worth it. Suh gives them an identity on defense like Sapp did.
The draft is simply too deep this year, the Bucs are hurting (massively) for impact players and they have 5 picks in the top-100. And, chances are they will get one of Suh or McCoy if they stay where they are. Rams are going QB.

I can't imagine Dez Bryant falling to 22 even with the supposed character issues.

St Louis traded up and sent their 2.01 and 2.10 picks to New England so they could secure Dez Bryant...5 pikcs in the 2nd round for New Engladn as they overhaul the team basically...a playoff team that has the luxury to overhaul a team in one draft basically...it's just not fair but New England continues on.St Louis got the 2.10 form TB when they traded down from the 1.01 to the 1.03
solid effort MOP. Quick question: given that you have NE taking a WR at both 2.01 and 2.21, why wouldn't they just stay at 1.22 and take Dez Bryant?

Love mocks with trades. It's bold, and fresh and not your usual straight-down-the-line.

I think the main one I don't agree with is Jahvid Best. I don't see the Jets investing their first rounder on a back, although good, who may have durability issues to go along with Greene and Washington (and thus replace TJ).

Not too sure about NO drafting McCoy at the end of the 2nd either. Brees has many more years in him, and I don't see them investing a high pick on his eventual replacement just yet. Besides, I think McCoy will go before that. Not sure to whom yet though... several teams could use him and be happy they didn't have to invest a first rounder and the gobs of $$ involved.

Nice effort. Definitely some "out of the box" picks.

1. Did you miss Brian Price, DT; everything I have read has him as a 1st-2nd round pick.

2. With guys like Andre Johnson and Chris Johnson showing what kind of impact big time skill position playmakers can have in today's NFL, I have a tough time seeing both Dez Bryant and Spiller slipping out of the first half of round 1.

Well, I would agree that Mays would fit right in with the Bengals. I'm just not sure thats a good thing. They've had plenty of safeties that can run and hit if you don't mind them being constantly out of position. Adding another guy with the same rep doesn't excite me. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't do it.

I don't think Dallas would give up their 2nd rd pick to move up for an OL in the first. They could stay where they are and still get T. Williams and keep their 2nd rounder.

Nice effort. Definitely some "out of the box" picks.1. Did you miss Brian Price, DT; everything I have read has him as a 1st-2nd round pick.2. With guys like Andre Johnson and Chris Johnson showing what kind of impact big time skill position playmakers can have in today's NFL, I have a tough time seeing both Dez Bryant and Spiller slipping out of the first half of round 1.
Thanks Larry,I actually used our little exchange from the other thread and let that influence Dallas moving up to get one of the better LT propects. I must have overlooked Price for sure. I will have to do a version 2 sometime next week and I'l shuffle all this up and roll them out again. The combine should change a lot of opinions on players and what teams plan to do. I hear you on Spiller and Bryant but I don't see the extreme need for them in the 1st 12-15 picks but some team that doesn't have a need will simply say that one of them was very high on their board and so they pulled the trigger. Appreciate you posting

Well, I would agree that Mays would fit right in with the Bengals. I'm just not sure thats a good thing. They've had plenty of safeties that can run and hit if you don't mind them being constantly out of position. Adding another guy with the same rep doesn't excite me. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't do it.
He's a thumper, reminds me of Louis Oliver form Miami back in the late 80s/early 90s.

I don't think Dallas would give up their 2nd rd pick to move up for an OL in the first. They could stay where they are and still get T. Williams and keep their 2nd rounder.
From what I've been reading Trent Williams is strictly a RT. They need a LT so I think that is a bad choice for them.

solid effort MOP. Quick question: given that you have NE taking a WR at both 2.01 and 2.21, why wouldn't they just stay at 1.22 and take Dez Bryant?
I see them overhauling the passing attack with 2 WRs and a TE so Brady can develop these guys quickly and they can make a run at the Super Bowl in the next 2 years...Brady has maybe 3-4 really good year left, why not try and reload? They could pull the trigger but I see them brigning in as many young guys as possible, they got old quick it seemed.

Just this morning I was thinking to myself that Seattle's best move would be to use their two 1st rd picks on OL. Taking another in the 2nd rd? Yeah, ok. I actually would be fine with that. They probably have the worst OL in the league, and I'm a hard core believer in the importance of an OL. Skill guys come and go, and you can be serviceable at the skill positions if your OL is good. So yeah - I actually like what you did there with Seattle. Leave "sexy" to teams like the Raiders. Haha...

Yeah I agree the Eagles will mostly likely take a DE and FS in the first two rounds if they don't address them in FA and they may like Griffen more but as a fan I would be upset if they took him over Graham.

The Panthers will draft a QB in this draft it just will not be in the 2nd round. Matt Moore solidified his starting position at the end of the season. Still cannot believe we waited so long to put him in. What could have been?

Thanks for the read, MoP. Great stuff as usual. I always think it's a particularly ballsy move for people to include trades in their mock drafts. :excited:

KCC said:
Thanks for the read, MoP. Great stuff as usual. I always think it's a particularly ballsy move for people to include trades in their mock drafts. :thumbup:
It's no fun if you don't at least try and sprinkle in some flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread