What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** NFL International Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

The only real way to do this is to have at least 4 teams form their own division in Europe. But really, you could convince me that basketball or baseball could have an international division, or hockey. But football? Dream on.

Not hard to envision a scenario where the Chargers become the ideal candidate for a move to London.  Could have difficulty establishing a season ticket base or consistently selling out games as the second team in LA. May chafe under restrictions placed on them as a tenant in Kroenke's palace.  No worries about abandoning their loyal fan base - already done.

Not hard to envision a scenario where the Chargers become the ideal candidate for a move to London.  Could have difficulty establishing a season ticket base or consistently selling out games as the second team in LA. May chafe under restrictions placed on them as a tenant in Kroenke's palace.  No worries about abandoning their loyal fan base - already done.
Moving is a last resort. It's called expansion fees. It's stupid the nfl doesn't have a team in Toronto. Europe won't ever happen.

Well they scare me! I'm heading to the Cardinals game in London with the wife and a group of friends. It is something that's been brought up, but we are going anyway.
My son spent a Study Abroad semester in London this summer. Definitely a concern, but the fact is an attack could happen anywhere. He went and it might be the highlight of college experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd think following baseball's lead and aiming for Mexico makes more sense. It helps capture a large audience but still keeps it in the same timezone. I hate having a team with such an extreme timezone difference. 

I live 2 train stops away from Wembley. I am a Seahawks fan for over 25 years. 
I'm not going to the game. For many reasons.

In summary. I see no reason why the best game in the world needs to dilute it's structure.

Maybe it is time for division realignment and a contraction draft after we kiseva couple od teamss..

I'd think following baseball's lead and aiming for Mexico makes more sense. It helps capture a large audience but still keeps it in the same timezone. I hate having a team with such an extreme timezone difference. 
I can only assume that they don't think there is as much total money in Mexico or the surrounding areas.  It looks like the median annual income of England is 2.5-3 times that of Mexico (depending on exchange rates).  There also might be spillover to other wealthier neighboring countries in England.  I have to assume that they have run projections on these things and considered the demographics and potential disposable income available and concluded that England is better.  

It may be a an old man type view but this will be the end if the NFL. The NBA has world-wide appeal but it doesn't have teams in Europe or Asia. Having a team 5-8 hours ahead of the others is not going to logistically work for a whole season.
They probably know that the league is on its way out anyway with the safety issues.  Need to keep the cash cow going for as long as possible.  If this means any kind of infusion of new cash, they will do it.

They probably know that the league is on its way out anyway with the safety issues.  Need to keep the cash cow going for as long as possible.  If this means any kind of infusion of new cash, they will do it.
Keep the pyramid scheme going as long as they can and sell it off to new owners on the way out. Makes sense.

It's just stupid, therefor I expect it to happen.
I figured this was just a throw away line. "Oh yea we'll bring a team to London. We promise." And then you never do. They really seriously think this is a good idea. I guess that shouldn't surprise me. 

Brooke Pryor‏Verified account @bepryor 2h2 hours ago

Brooke Pryor Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Wow, seems like that makes an NFL team in London less likely

Brooke Pryor added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

"Shahid Khan has informed us today that he will be withdrawing his offer to buy the stadium – and we fully respect his decision.” Stunner from the #Jaguars owner. https://twitter.com/FAspokesperson/status/1052559885794246656 …

Really good read on the Jaguars and London

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-president-mark-lamping-we-need-more-urgency

Lamping said acquiring Wembley was to serve the “very specific purpose” of strengthening the Jaguars in Jacksonville. He called it no different than other Jaguars-driven projects such as an annual home game in London, “big events” such as the Lynyrd Skynyrd Labor Day Weekend Concert at TIAA Bank Field and the Daily’s Place amphitheater adjacent to TIAA Bank Field.

The Jaguars since 2013 have played one game per season in Wembley, a game that typically generates a little more than 10 percent of the team’s local revenue.

"You have three [NFL] teams [playing host to home games there this season]. Each team has different unique issues they have to deal with, and all three have moved home games to London. You had Oakland last week. You have [the Los Angeles Chargers] next week. You have the Jaguars the week after. That tells you all you need to know about the teams interested in London.”

Lamping also addressed recent rumors about Khan wanting relocate the franchise to London, calling them “driven by a conspiracy-theory motivated press in the’’ United Kingdom.

“You might as well go read some guy on Twitter and give it credibility,” Lamping said, calling the rumors “all nonsense.”

“I think what Jags fans should do is look at the actions of Shad Khan since he bought the team,” Lamping said. “Hopefully at some point in time we’ll be judged fully by our actions and not what speculators choose to say. …

This has been going on since, what, 2007?

Time to end this silly cash grab that penalizes teams. Firing up a team in London is patently ridiculous for so many reasons.

Bengals lease expires in 2026 and they are going to want upgrades to the stadium that could cost up to $300 million.  I don't see the taxpayers approving a new deal after the last deal that gave the Bengals a stadium at almost no cost to them.  If they do not improve as a team I could see them leaving unless the Bengals kick in a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread