What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Network's Combine Coverage (1 Viewer)

Quinn not working out at the Combine. only doing interviews and wonderlic test.

Is he making a mistake?

I personally think so.

joe thomas 28 reps
Not too impressive for the premiere tackle in the draft.
His strength isn't his strength. He is very sound technically very fit not big seems very lean. has a very high motor and never quits on a play. Blocks his man then looks for someone else to block downfield.so i think 28 reps is pretty impressive for what you are getting. 25 is usually the standard you'd like to see these guys hit.
IMo, drills only significantly help or hurt when someone does very poorly or extremely well. Also, if a player comes from a smaller school or did not play much showing that he has the core athletic skills as other prospects becomes more important than the guys from large programs who have played in a lot of games.

wow...Vermeil just stereotyped Samoans' work ethic as "sometimes needs to be worked on":unsure:
Yeah, I caught that. Even when he was positive speaking about athleticism, that type they or those guys commentary leads down a bad path.

IMo, drills only significantly help or hurt when someone does very poorly or extremely well. Also, if a player comes from a smaller school or did not play much showing that he has the core athletic skills as other prospects becomes more important than the guys from large programs who have played in a lot of games.
:goodposting: Thanks coolnerd, you said it so much better than me.

Greg Olsen 6'5 7/8" 254 4.47 40. Say hello to the LOD.

2nd run 4.45.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Olsen 6'5" 254 4.47 40. Say hello to the LOD.
Just moved into the 2nd round of Dynasty Rookie Drafts.
First pick in the second round in my rookie draft, lemme look and see who has that one....o yes, its me
That may be alittle high with so many good wr left. You should probably try to get the 2.03- 2.06 I think he should be there in 12 team rookie draft.He wont make it out of the first. Bears shouldn't let him get past them.

Greg Olsen 6'5" 254 4.47 40. Say hello to the LOD.
Just moved into the 2nd round of Dynasty Rookie Drafts.
First pick in the second round in my rookie draft, lemme look and see who has that one....o yes, its me
That may be alittle high with so many good wr left. You should probably try to get the 2.03- 2.06 I think he should be there in 12 team rookie draft.He wont make it out of the first. Bears shouldn't let him get past them.
12 team 22 man roster, must have 2 players of each position IDP leagueSo I'm only gonna be keeping 3 or 4 guys max so it really doesnt matter since I know I'm keeping 1.1 and 1.2 off top and to keep Olsen I will most likely have to drop Jeramy Stevans

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. :lmao: Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :X
Um, what in the blue hell does 40 have to do with OL's?, TIA.
Pulling plays and being able to get to the 2nd level. Screens and things like that.
And "good feet" or "active feet" is what they're looking for in some of these drills. Some guys don't move their feet and are just big and that flat out doesn't cut it in the NFL

The Gauntlet separates the contenders from the pretenders. You have to catch with your hands.

[quote name='prymetyme25' date='Feb 23 2007, 02:38 PM' post='6387660'

joe thomas 28 reps

LOL

Jay Cutler is just as strong as him.

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. :goodposting: Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :X
Seriously? You want a slow LT going up against Dwight Freeney?
I've never seen a LT have to move 40 yards to block a Defensive End. Have you?

joe thomas 28 reps
Would Detroit fans have liked to seen more reps? Sure, but 28 wont hurt his stock. Unlike doing 40 reps which is certain help someones stock.
A couple things come into play here with Thomas combine numbers. Not included in this article is the fact he was on the banquet tour (touring to accept Outland, First-team All-American, and other awards) up until recently, and didn't have equal time to train. He is in the middle of wedding plans, and had to search for and hire an agent .The other is he has spent what time he's had on actual NFL line technique rather than trying to shave a tenth off his 40 time etc. To answer your question, This Lions fan would love to see him protect Kitna on Sundays.

From Tom Kowalski at MLive today LINK...

He believes the games are more important than the draft. While many players are spending their off-season by training for the combine drills so they can improve their results and get drafted higher, Thomas is working on getting better as a tackle.

"A lot of my off-season training is focusing on getting myself ready for the NFL season," he said. "I'm not as worried about getting a tenth (of a second) better in this drill or that drill because that's not going to help me next season.

"One of the things I've noticed about the guys who played at Wisconsin and played at other schools is, as they trained in the off-season, they'd go down to Houston or Phoenix to train and they lose focus about what they're really doing in the off-season.

"I think when you do combine training, you're training to improve your speed in the 40 or trying to improve your bench (press) reps, you're trying to do all the specific drills that you have to do (at the combine). For an offensive lineman, a lot of those drills aren't very applicable; it doesn't matter whether an offensive lineman can run the 40 fast - as long as he's quick - because you're never going to see him run 30 or 40 yards ... unless he's running down (an interception) going the other way."

:goodposting:

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. ;) Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :X
:loco: An offensive lineman that can get downfield and make blocks is like gold in the NFL. Lateral quickness is more important obviously, but a guy with good technique like Thomas that is that fast is very impressive. It means that you can ask him to pull, you can ask him to trap, you expect him to be able to make secondary blocks on the LBers and you can count on him to protect the QB against guys like Freeney and Peppers.

cris carter wasn't fast...we could all come up with names of WRs that are fast & slow that were great or terrible...in general, all things being equal, if it looks like two prospects are similar in terms of hands, route running ability, etc, you'd rather have the guy that runs a 4.4 instead of 4.6...rice is a great example of how quickness is probably more important that straightline speed... he wouldn't win too many 40s, but in the open field, with the ball in his hands, he was rarely caught from behind when he was younger... GREAT, GREAT short area burst & acceleration...
let me give you another one then well the same one actually.Who would you rather have Bryant Jonhson or Anquan Boldin? Consequently both went to the same team but bryant ran a 4.45 and boldin ran a 4.78. lol sometimes we (myself included) let a 40 time make us forget about production. Sometimes we get so caught up at looking at that steak down the road when that sandwich in your bag would fill you up just the same. lol I dont know where I come up with these things. :confused: But I do understand what you mean.
i didn't know boldin was that slow :)there were reports leading up to his personal workout that he was beginning to regain his pre-knee injury 4.4 speed... its a few years go & i don't have cite, but i definitely recall articles that he was faster than some of his times (in terms of PLAYING, functional speed)...that said, boldin is a good example (though i'm not sure he is better than carter :) they illustrate similar point), that speed can be an overrated attribute...than again, for every rice, carter & boldin, there are probably hundreds of failures that were just slow & bad... i guess the lesson to be learned, if they aren't fast by conventional scouting metrics for their position, they better have some compensating factors...when trying to set in context or interpret conflicting scouting data, it is always good to take into account a players body of work... boldin had stellar resume, & i think at one time (maybe still?) had FL state record for combined yardage as a star prep running QB...

OT Ryan Kalil is putting up some impressive numbers. He might be a guy to keep an eye on. He had the 4th best 40 time and did the 3rd most reps (34). He also looked pretty good in the "mirror" drill and it was either the 3 cone or shuttle drill that I saw him in and was impressed.

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. :jawdrop: Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :X
:yes: An offensive lineman that can get downfield and make blocks is like gold in the NFL. Lateral quickness is more important obviously, but a guy with good technique like Thomas that is that fast is very impressive. It means that you can ask him to pull, you can ask him to trap, you expect him to be able to make secondary blocks on the LBers and you can count on him to protect the QB against guys like Freeney and Peppers.
exactly and from the film that i've watched of J. Thomas he does this alot thats why he is so impressive not a mauler but technically sound and that goes a long way and then you add that he has a high amount of athletism and all that = top 3-5 pick.

cris carter wasn't fast...we could all come up with names of WRs that are fast & slow that were great or terrible...in general, all things being equal, if it looks like two prospects are similar in terms of hands, route running ability, etc, you'd rather have the guy that runs a 4.4 instead of 4.6...rice is a great example of how quickness is probably more important that straightline speed... he wouldn't win too many 40s, but in the open field, with the ball in his hands, he was rarely caught from behind when he was younger... GREAT, GREAT short area burst & acceleration...
let me give you another one then well the same one actually.Who would you rather have Bryant Jonhson or Anquan Boldin? Consequently both went to the same team but bryant ran a 4.45 and boldin ran a 4.78. lol sometimes we (myself included) let a 40 time make us forget about production. Sometimes we get so caught up at looking at that steak down the road when that sandwich in your bag would fill you up just the same. lol I dont know where I come up with these things. :lmao: But I do understand what you mean.
i didn't know boldin was that slow :)there were reports leading up to his personal workout that he was beginning to regain his pre-knee injury 4.4 speed... its a few years go & i don't have cite, but i definitely recall articles that he was faster than some of his times (in terms of PLAYING, functional speed)...that said, boldin is a good example (though i'm not sure he is better than carter :) they illustrate similar point), that speed can be an overrated attribute...than again, for every rice, carter & boldin, there are probably hundreds of failures that were just slow & bad... i guess the lesson to be learned, if they aren't fast by conventional scouting metrics for their position, they better have some compensating factors...when trying to set in context or interpret conflicting scouting data, it is always good to take into account a players body of work... boldin had stellar resume, & i think at one time (maybe still?) had FL state record for combined yardage as a star prep running QB...
when i watch boldin in college nothing in what i saw said 4.78 so I was shocked didn't know about the injury though but that is interesting.

Why dont they ask guys that they invite to the combine if they are gonna work out because if not they need to invite other guys who need the exposure. this is really starting to get to me now. I'm sure there were guys who were left off of that list who would be glad to come an work for the coaches. Only 1 guy there from DIII as lucky as he is I'm sure there are at least 5 more guys who have something to offer to the NFL.

oh well that was my Rant i'm done.

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. :jawdrop: Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :X
:jawdrop: An offensive lineman that can get downfield and make blocks is like gold in the NFL. Lateral quickness is more important obviously, but a guy with good technique like Thomas that is that fast is very impressive. It means that you can ask him to pull, you can ask him to trap, you expect him to be able to make secondary blocks on the LBers and you can count on him to protect the QB against guys like Freeney and Peppers.
exactly and from the film that i've watched of J. Thomas he does this alot thats why he is so impressive not a mauler but technically sound and that goes a long way and then you add that he has a high amount of athletism and all that = top 3-5 pick.
Honestly, the 4.93 doesn't mean that much to me, but GD makes a fine point here. Most LT's won't be downfield blocking, that's why blocking WRs are a bonus, but if he can move that quick, it's great. lateral quickness and technique are what I care about, the 4.93 is gravy.

Why dont they ask guys that they invite to the combine if they are gonna work out because if not they need to invite other guys who need the exposure. this is really starting to get to me now. I'm sure there were guys who were left off of that list who would be glad to come an work for the coaches. Only 1 guy there from DIII as lucky as he is I'm sure there are at least 5 more guys who have something to offer to the NFL. oh well that was my Rant i'm done.
That's why NFL teams invite small time players to their camps.

joe thomas 28 reps
PFT is reporting that he ran a 4.93 40. :thumbdown: Now THAT'S impressive.Levi Jones reportedly ran a 5.39 :hophead:
No, I want an agile bull going up against Dwight Freeney.

Users who are viewing this thread