What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Taking Things Too Far With Absurd Ndamukong Suh Fine (1 Viewer)

agreed. I understand for the need for player safety but that is a lot of money to take out of a guys pocket.

He put his head down, but if he didn't the top of his helmet would have hit the QBs face mask and made it head to head contact. Its really unfortunate that it has gotten to this point where you literally can't make contact with a QB without it being close to a penalty or a fine.

These players are very aware these days of the risk it is to play in the NFL, let them play.

Terry Bradshaw said he wishes he was hit that soft....every player on The NFL Network said this is so out of line. This was just a regular no-nothing play. The announcers only mentioned a little pressure. Nothing about the shove.

The VP of Refs said it was a "Potential helmet to body hit"

Last edited by a moderator:
its all about "intent" at this point.

and one of Suhs biggest intents is to hurt opposing players.

he will fittingly eat big ol' fines.

BigSteelThrill said:
Buffaloes said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Max Power said:
BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:
They should let Suh just 2 hand touch
he should tackle and quit trying to hurt his fellow employees. much easier.
players have been trying to hurt each other for years, lets not act like this is something new. Terrible Fine
he is an absurdity in the current NFL.
how so?
his violence.
is it because he doesn't play for the Steelers?i don't recall your outrage against James Harrison.

This last one was stupid, as stupid as it gets. It would have been a horrific call if it was a penalty, but a fine??? They should have fined 150 players this week then, and fined them MORE than he got.

I don't recall all the "dirty" stuff, but I definitely recall the "forearm shiver" on Cutler. Honestly, he pushed him over, he didn't hit him. And even if he did, so what? Cuter was running away from him, and he "hit" him in the top portion of the back. Probably the hardest and most resisitant part of the human body. Horrid call and fine on that one, just ridiculous. It was a PUSH!!!!

Some of his others are bad though, and suspension worthy. And that is why he is fined for breathing on people now. Here is an idea. Penalize him appropriately for the dumb stuff so that it deters him from doing it more. The NFL is just acting like a terribly poor and inconsistent parent.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:
You mean like his latest hit that was a fine??

Honestly, sorry to be so blunt, but if you think that last hit warrants a fine you are an idiot.

:shrug: he wanted a reputation as a tough guy, and now he has it.

Football is a contact sport. Some hits will be violent. But that does not mean every hit must be with violent intent, nor even that every hit is necessary. When players realize that, thy game will be better.

NFL is getting used by players for not protecting them enough, so now the NFL is protecting players. When the players stop suing, the NFL will go back to it's head in the sand approach.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

Honestly, sorry to be so blunt, but if you think that last hit warrants a fine you are an idiot.
Its not just that particular situation. And Suh and everyone else need to understand that.

That hit was very weak and shouldn't have warranted anything on anyone, but in general I do think it's understandable that he gets picked on as a 300th time offender.

They should be judging the action, not the person making the action. It was a completely legal hit, one you will see several dozens times on any given Sunday. If they are going to start fining solely on who the person is and not apply this kind of scrutiny across the board, the entire process is a mockery.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

Its not just that particular situation. And Suh and everyone else need to understand that.
If you are going to fine for stuff like that then just suspend him and be done with it.

There was nothing wrong with that hit but if the NFL thinks so then at the very least they should be fining all such hits. There was a hit on Big Ben last week that was much worse than that and late to boot: no penalty, no fine.

The NFL just seems to issue these fines willy-nilly and the appeal process is a joke. However I blame the players for that because they caved in during the last CBR and gave Goodell complete authority for fines, suspensions and appeals. The only team that voted against it was the Steelers.

In fact, the play in question and the NFL's fine clearly show that the microscope Suh rightfully earned is now being used to levy unfair punishment.
Agreed. He's shown himself to be a thug and now he's more highly scrutinized than most.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

There was nothing wrong with that hit but if the NFL thinks so then at the very least they should be fining all such hits. There was a hit on Big Ben last week that was much worse than that and late to boot: no penalty, no fine.
Ah the "Officer, that other guy was going even faster than me and you didn't give HIM a ticket" excuse. Give me a break.

They should be judging the action, not the person making the action. It was a completely legal hit, one you will see several dozens times on any given Sunday. If they are going to start fining solely on who the person is and not apply this kind of scrutiny across the board, the entire process is a mockery.
Exactly.

I don't make excuses for the bad hits Suh has done, but likewise, nobody should be trying to excuse how pathetic this fine is. It's either complete bias against the player or complete stupidity from the NFL. Take your pick, both are completely wrong from what is meant to be a neutral panel that you would hope had some people with brain cells running it.

Goodell is stealing money from these guys plain and simple. What are defensive players to do in today's NFL? My natural reaction to a big hit today is look for the flag. And that wasn't even close to a big hit.

I don't understand - how is it other players can tackle a QB without hitting him helmet-to-helmet, or lowering his head to hit with the crown? Suh needs to change how he approaches the game. The NFL is trying to take unnecessary hits out of the game, and that was an unnecessary hit, where suh led with the crown of his head. Given his reputation, he's lucky it was not more.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

Ah the "Officer, that other guy was going even faster than me and you didn't give HIM a ticket" excuse. Give me a break.
The point that I was trying to make is that the hit on Ben was more violent than the hit Suh was fined for. If the NFL is so concerned about the safety then they should be fining them all. They review every play of every game so it is not like they can miss it, they just choose to fine some and let others slide.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

Look, I think Suh is a bully and has deserved to be fined several times. But to fine him for this play? That's outrageous. Suh and the NFLPA probably have a legitimate case for a lawsuit against the NFL's front office here. As they can probably produce a good 30-40+ shots of QBs being hit much harder than that all season and the NFL not fining those players.

You seem to have some kind of vendetta against Suh, I'm assuming you're a Packers fan or something and a obnoxious one at that. Suh's an ###... but he didn't deserve to get fined for that hit. It was barely a hit. It was the equivalent of a kid pushing another kid on the ground.

This is like if the the police arrested a guy with 2 arrests on his record for illegal drug possession; because they caught him smoking a cigarette.

It's ridiculous and Goodell is getting out of hand with this crap. He's completely ruining the entire spirit of his motion. He's trying to make the NFL a safer league to play in. Instead he's making it a vendetta against players he doesn't like that much.

I don't understand - how is it other players can tackle a QB without hitting him helmet-to-helmet, or lowering his head to hit with the crown? Suh needs to change how he approaches the game. The NFL is trying to take unnecessary hits out of the game, and that was an unnecessary hit, where suh led with the crown of his head. Given his reputation, he's lucky it was not more.
He didn't lead with his helmet. Suh pushed him with his arm first and there was a "potential helmet to the body". I am all for player safety but it was not an illegal or particularly violent hit. There are many worse collisions like that in every game to fine this one is ridiculous IMO.

In fact, the play in question and the NFL's fine clearly show that the microscope Suh rightfully earned is now being used to levy unfair punishment.
Agreed. He's shown himself to be a thug and now he's more highly scrutinized than most.
I agree this is happening, but in just about any other work place this is what they call discrimination.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

The difference being of course that the "officer" doesn't get to review tape of all drivers on the road for a week and then dish out punishment indiscriminately afterwards.

On this particular play, Suh didn't lead with his head, you can clearly see him use his arms to push Weeden down.

Every talk show is all over this..no way this fine holds up to an appeal.

Did you see on CBS the NFL War Room that watches players? There must be 30 or more people in NY watching every play of every game..not to make sure that the calls on the field are correct,and to make sure the outcome of the game is correct, but to look for plays to fine players for. Unreal..

On this particular play, Suh didn't lead with his head, you can clearly see him use his arms to push Weeden down.
I've watched the play several times - he did not push with his arms - he led with his head. It was the force of the hit with the head that knocked Weeden down, not some innocuous push.

Again, how are other players able to tackle a QB, or "push" a QB without lowering their helmet into the QBs chest? To hear folks talk in hear, that would be impossible, yet amazing it seems to happen every week.

BigSteelThrill said:
KellysHeroes said:

So you are saying we should fine the guy for a nice clean hit (not even that hard), just because he has had a dirty hit in the past? Swell logic

Well in this case, the other guy was speeding, but Suh wasn't. Cop just gave him a ticket because he had a speeding ticket in the past.

Every talk show is all over this..no way this fine holds up to an appeal.

Did you see on CBS the NFL War Room that watches players? There must be 30 or more people in NY watching every play of every game..not to make sure that the calls on the field are correct,and to make sure the outcome of the game is correct, but to look for plays to fine players for. Unreal..
I think that is a great thing, as long as they fine people for things that actually warrant a fine.

Users who are viewing this thread