What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to Require Teams Participate in Hard Knocks (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
The NFL and HBO have reached an agreement that will keep Hard Knocks on the air every year. At a league owners meeting on Tuesday, the league passed a proposal to require teams to do the show if no volunteers step up that year.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/8/4816570/nfl-hard-knocks-hbo-rule-changes

More details...

The immensely popular HBO/NFL Films series "Hard Knocks" will continue for the foreseeable future, thanks to a rule approved today by NFL owners meeting in Washington, D.C.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, league owners approved a rule today that will require one team to participate in the series each year - even if said team declines to volunteer to be on the show. In the past, several teams have turned down requests to have the training camp experience captured by television cameras.

The Jets were a huge hit in the 2010 edition.

Per Rapoport, the league will ask for teams to volunteer in any given year. If no team volunteers, one will be appointed. The only organizations that don't have to volunteer are teams that have made the playoffs in at leaset one of the last two seasons or teams that have participated in the show at least once in the past 10 seasons.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/hard-knocks-lives-on-1.6220784

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
If no team volunteers, one will be appointed. The only organizations that don't have to volunteer are teams that have made the playoffs in at leaset one of the last two seasons or teams that have participated in the show at least once in the past 10 seasons.
Seems to me that they could run out of eligible teams pretty quickly.

The article I read said only teams that had made the playoffs 2 years in a row, had a new head coach, or had done the show recently would be exempt. Personally, I like this rule. I love Hard Knocks and I'm tired of seeing the same teams over and over. Maybe once some half decent teams do it and have some in-season success, everyone will stop being so paranoid about the negative effects it could have.

The league is really getting away from something that has been one of its biggest advantages over the years and that is protecting competitive balance.

This is an example of corporate disfunction - the execs have a bad idea, they don't get anyone to acknowledge the idea but rather receive resistance and are told it's a bad idea, so what do they do? They "volunteer" teams / employees when in reality they all know it will just harm their ability to prepare for the season.

Goodell just needs to drop this.

The league is really getting away from something that has been one of its biggest advantages over the years and that is protecting competitive balance.

This is an example of corporate disfunction - the execs have a bad idea, they don't get anyone to acknowledge the idea but rather receive resistance and are told it's a bad idea, so what do they do? They "volunteer" teams / employees when in reality they all know it will just harm their ability to prepare for the season.

Agreed. The NFL also announced 3 London games next year (see the thread for that posted today) and there's even speculation, reported by CBS' Jason LaConfora, that Jacksonville is primed to be moved to London.

That plus the extra games added to the season, year-long Thurs. games, etc., makes it seem like Goodell's greed knows no boundaries.

And that's on top of the hard to enforce hit-high rules...well, the NFL's super popular and I agree with making player safety a priority and with exploring ways to take advantage of the popularity, but you have to wonder if he's going to break it.

Agreed. The NFL also announced 3 London games next year (see the thread for that posted today) and there's even speculation, reported by CBS' Jason LaConfora, that Jacksonville is primed to be moved to London.

That plus the extra games added to the season, year-long Thurs. games, etc., makes it seem like Goodell's greed knows no boundaries.

And that's on top of the hard to enforce hit-high rules...well, the NFL's super popular and I agree with making player safety a priority and with exploring ways to take advantage of the popularity, but you have to wonder if he's going to break it.
He has already broken it IMO. I know I'll sound like an old fart but the NFL was much better in the 70s, 80s and 90s than it is now.

I understand the focus on player safety and can't quibble with that, but the bolded stuff is seriously denting my enjoyment. Not sure why there is a need for this bull####.

I would gladly sacrifice my entertainment from Hard Knocks to make the NFL a little bettter. I can't believe they are forcing teams to do this. I guess the moral of the story is - if you continually suck you will be subject to the whims of the NFL. (Only teams that don't make the playoffs are forced, correct?).

Btw, my sister is dating a guy in England and he says they couldn't give two s*#ts about the NFL over there. He said they show up for the games because it's kind of like a carnival or something - fun to go to because it's different but they would lose interest if it happened too often.

Would love to see a NE hard knocks
Same here. I just don't think any team should be forced. Entice the teams with something else, like money, TV revenues, a boost in some other way. I just don't like the gestapo tactics the NFL seems to be leaning towards lately.

If no team volunteers, one will be appointed. The only organizations that don't have to volunteer are teams that have made the playoffs in at leaset one of the last two seasons or teams that have participated in the show at least once in the past 10 seasons.
Seems to me that they could run out of eligible teams pretty quickly.
Yeah, without looking at the numbers, I'd think the league is generally going to see 16-20 different teams make the playoffs during most 2-year windows.

A good chunk of the other 12-16 teams are, of course, going to be sporting new head coaches.

With the 10 year thing, I think they could be looking at about 5 candidates most seasons.

For this year, unless I missed something it would've been:

Panthers

Bucs

Raiders

Titans

Rams

I understand the focus on player safety and can't quibble with that, but the bolded stuff is seriously denting my enjoyment. Not sure why there is a need for this bull####.
Agree wholeheartedly, and why I'm retiring from fantasy football after this year. NFL The Corporation has killed my interest in professional football, the last professional sport I enjoyed. I think I've only watched ONE game in it's entirety this year, and this has most of the reason for it. Video game scores with rule changes increasing scoring. Excessive defensive penalties and suspensions. Saturating the market with a lesser product. Crappy Thursday games EVERY WEEK... Is this #### run by Disney?

Ease up on the money making, and get back to a good game. Goodell's legacy will be bringing in tens of millions of lukewarm, fair-weather fans with a demographic of higher annual salary while losing hundreds of thousands of hardcore football nuts. Goodbye NFL. It's been awesome.

Agree wholeheartedly, and why I'm retiring from fantasy football after this year. NFL The Corporation has killed my interest in professional football, the last professional sport I enjoyed. I think I've only watched ONE game in it's entirety this year, and this has most of the reason for it. Video game scores with rule changes increasing scoring. Excessive defensive penalties and suspensions. Saturating the market with a lesser product. Crappy Thursday games EVERY WEEK... Is this #### run by Disney?

Ease up on the money making, and get back to a good game. Goodell's legacy will be bringing in tens of millions of lukewarm, fair-weather fans with a demographic of higher annual salary while losing hundreds of thousands of hardcore football nuts. Goodbye NFL. It's been awesome.
See you next week.

Owners voted on it :shrug:

Same here. I just don't think any team should be forced. Entice the teams with something else, like money, TV revenues, a boost in some other way. I just don't like the gestapo tactics the NFL seems to be leaning towards lately.
I highly doubt that anyone would be "forced", and besides doesn't the team thats on hard knocks get a portion of the profits. Theres goto be something in it for the owner.

So many better ways they could have gone about this.

For example: Dutch auction prior to the draft.

Live bidding. Hell you could even televise it (they seem to do that with everything else they do).

Working backwards, supplemental 7th round pick ... no takers ...supplemental 6th round pick .... and so on

First to buzz in wins it.

Owners voted on it :shrug:
:goodposting:

Goodell is only enforcing his Bosses rules.

Great Idea. Catering to the fans is what they should do in this case and the fans love Hard Knocks. Plus its about money, the NFL gets a pretty penny and a lot more exposure. Its sports entertainment, and Hard Knocks is more football for me.

Never seen Hard Knocks in my life. Not one minute.

Seen a lot of NFL football.

The NFL requires teams to appear in NFL game broadcasts. For the most part, I think that's going well.

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Belichick's aloofness, and sullenness would be off the charts funny. Is the owner still prancing around with that girl who is eighty-years younger than he is? That would be a trainwreck subplot.
What are you talking about? Did you not see BBs "A Football Life" he has personality in the right setting. Also, Krafts wie died last year, what woman would you be talking about?

What are you talking about? Did you not see BBs "A Football Life" he has personality in the right setting.
I did see it. Belichick had complete total control over the filming, and he still seemed vaguely hostile about the whole thing. HBO controls the output of "Hard Knocks". I don't think that will sit too well with Belichick.

Live bidding. Hell you could even televise it (they seem to do that with everything else they do).

Working backwards, supplemental 7th round pick ... no takers ...supplemental 6th round pick .... and so on

This is an amazingly good idea.

People respond to incentives.

+2. Love the idea.

Yes, I too remember when Hitler sent the Gestapo to make the Jews star in a cable TV show they didn't want to.

+2. Love the idea.
Get Mr. $1 on the line. He can have the idea, but I get to MC.

I could see this upsetting a lot of teams, but as a fan I love it. Some variety and more interesting teams would be awesome. Look forward to every year. :thumbup:

Mr. Irrelevant said:
kupcho1 said:

It is a great idea. I'd tweak it by not simply awarding it to the first team that buzzes in, but by allowing all teams that want to throw their hat into the ring for a certain round draft pick to do so, then the producers pick the best team for Hard Knocks out of them.

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
Yes, I too remember when Hitler sent the Gestapo to make the Jews star in a cable TV show they didn't want to.
I honestly wasn't going to respond here, thinking you must know that this phrase, along with tons of others from history, has worked its way into common English lexicon. But then I thought maybe you actually don't know, so I'll respond:

Dictionary dot com defines "gestapo tactics" as "intimidating official procedures." This is how I meant it. I've never seen someone take this phrase as a literal comparison to the actual Gestapo unless it was specifically discussed as such. No offense was intended.

If I've just been fished or trolled, I'll take that chance. Just wanted to clear that up.

I don't see the problem with forcing different company departments to participate in company commercials.

You know that's all Hard Knocks is, right? A long-running infomercial promoting the upcoming NFL season. It's not there to entertain you. It's there to drum up more business and better ratings. The entertainment part is just the means to an end.

The NFL is one business with 32 offices scattered throughout the country. Sometimes the business wants them to participate in a commercial to promote the business. Sometimes they want them to travel overseas to promote the business. That seems pretty reasonable.

Stop thinking of the NFL as a sports league and start thinking of it as a company, and their decisions will all make sense.

My guess is that in 99% of cases they will have a volunteer team that says "sure we want to do it" and its more about giving HBO the security for their planning that Hard Knocks will have a team each week, and thereby probably getting more money from them.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
kupcho1 said:

It is a great idea. I'd tweak it by not simply awarding it to the first team that buzzes in, but by allowing all teams that want to throw their hat into the ring for a certain round draft pick to do so, then the producers pick the best team for Hard Knocks out of them.
Thinking about how to televise this kept me up for hours in the middle of last night, because of course it did.

So here goes: picture the 32 NFL GMs seated on a tiered podium in the style of the briefcases in "Deal or No Deal", a giant button in front of each. There's an MC - hell, might as well have it be Howie Mandel - with a screen behind him. The screen reads:

Round 7, Pick

... or whatever number is the last pick of the following year's draft after all the compensatories, etc. are added.

A bell sounds, and every six seconds afterwards, the number on the screen decreases by one. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick ... 249. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick ... 248. And so on.

First GM to hit their button is awarded that pick in next year's draft - the "Hard Knocks Pick" - in exchange for his team being featured on the show. At a rate of ten picks per minute, the whole thing would most likely be over in 10-15 minutes ... but that's easily enough to build a two-hour TV special around. And imagine the drama!

I bet you'd easily draw an audience comparable to Day 2 of the draft, if not more. Get on this, Roger!

Thinking about how to televise this kept me up for hours in the middle of last night, because of course it did.

So here goes: picture the 32 NFL GMs seated on a tiered podium in the style of the briefcases in "Deal or No Deal", a giant button in front of each. There's an MC - hell, might as well have it be Howie Mandel - with a screen behind him. The screen reads:

Round 7, Pick

... or whatever number is the last pick of the following year's draft after all the compensatories, etc. are added.

A bell sounds, and every six seconds afterwards, the number on the screen decreases by one. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick ... 249. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick ... 248. And so on.

First GM to hit their button is awarded that pick in next year's draft - the "Hard Knocks Pick" - in exchange for his team being featured on the show. At a rate of ten picks per minute, the whole thing would most likely be over in 10-15 minutes ... but that's easily enough to build a two-hour TV special around. And imagine the drama!

I bet you'd easily draw an audience comparable to Day 2 of the draft, if not more. Get on this, Roger!
This presumes you'd open it up to those teams that are now otherwise precluded from HK (e.g., playoff teams over the last 2 years). Good change.

Do it in March (2 months prior to the draft) assuming HBO would have sufficient time to put things in motion.

Round 7, Pick

This is great. :clap:

Btw, my sister is dating a guy in England and he says they couldn't give two s*#ts about the NFL over there. He said they show up for the games because it's kind of like a carnival or something - fun to go to because it's different but they would lose interest if it happened too often.
I so badly want to see an empty Wembley for these games.

If no more coaches are fired (teams with new coaches are exempt from being forced on the show), and if no one else volunteers, one of these eight teams can be forced to be on the next season of Hard Knocks: Bears, Bills, Giants, Cardinals, Jags, Raiders, Rams, or Steelers.

I'd think Giants or Steelers would be HBO's top draws...

If no more coaches are fired (teams with new coaches are exempt from being forced on the show), and if no one else volunteers, one of these eight teams can be forced to be on the next season of Hard Knocks: Bears, Bills, Giants, Cardinals, Jags, Raiders, Rams, or Steelers.

I would like to see the Cards or Rams. Both are teams that are on the cusp of being really good (I kind of predicted them, but I figured the Rams would be better than AZ). Teams sometimes tend to go through a sophomore slump with a new coach, so I'd say Rams over Cards for viewing pleasure.

Are playoff teams exempt also?

I thought this was by-and-large a way to promote not only the league but a team as a way to increase a teams direct fanbase.

I really find it unbelievable and unprofessional for the league to force these coaches into something, during such a crucial period, that will make them uncomfortable and possibly throw them off.

Another notch on Goodell's belt I guess. Guy sucks.

I really find it unbelievable and unprofessional for the league to force these coaches into something, during such a crucial period, that will make them uncomfortable and possibly throw them off.

Hey, you said something I agree with!

Maybe Hard Knocks would be the appropriate penalty for Tomlin's sideline transgression :)

I have a hard time seeing them forcing Coughlin - it would fascinating largely b/c of the uncertain relationship b/w him and management these days.

Bears - another big draw - and a team that might be good enough to disqualify itself for next year. (Same applies to Steelers)

Raiders - the ghost of Pete Rozelle would do this to spite the ghost of Al Davis :) would be interesting to see how the younger Davis operates.

Bills - not the sexy pick and a team they can probably save.

Cardinals - I guess you can get a Palmer redux - basically the follow up to his earlier Hard Knocks stint and a strong team. Fitzgerald already is media savvy appearing nfl radio broadcasts each week. 11-5 team that missed playoffs is intriguing.

Rams - the Bradford situation, #2 pick and slew of youngsters would be attractive - given they have 3 very tough teams in their division they are another team the NFL can probably save for later.

-QG

Maybe Hard Knocks would be the appropriate penalty for Tomlin's sideline transgression :)

I have a hard time seeing them forcing Coughlin - it would fascinating largely b/c of the uncertain relationship b/w him and management these days.

Bears - another big draw - and a team that might be good enough to disqualify itself for next year. (Same applies to Steelers)

Raiders - the ghost of Pete Rozelle would do this to spite the ghost of Al Davis :) would be interesting to see how the younger Davis operates.

Bills - not the sexy pick and a team they can probably save.

Cardinals - I guess you can get a Palmer redux - basically the follow up to his earlier Hard Knocks stint and a strong team. Fitzgerald already is media savvy appearing nfl radio broadcasts each week. 11-5 team that missed playoffs is intriguing.

Rams - the Bradford situation, #2 pick and slew of youngsters would be attractive - given they have 3 very tough teams in their division they are another team the NFL can probably save for later.

-QG
I forgot about Palmer's experience with it. Was he already on the Raiders for Bengals II? Arians seems a bit unconventional and with a good to great team, a QB who knows the HK challenges, a fan base that needs to be kept interested in the resurgence of a team that's largely been a doormat (with a few exceptions) for years, in the toughest division hands down in the league, could all be intriguing to the TV producers that are in league with Goodell. Maybe that's something they could rally around to try and avoid the sophomore slump.

The owners (you know, the guys who actually own the teams) voted for it. Wasn't some unilateral decision by Goodell.

Users who are viewing this thread