What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No rookie 1000-yard rushers in 2009 season. (1 Viewer)

Pretty much every year you could count on a couple of rookie running backs rushing for over 1000 yards. That didn't happen this season for the first time since the early 90's. Knowshon Moreno was over 900 yards. No one else was close.

Overall rookie rbs sucked this year for fantasy unlike last season when you had guys like Forte,Johnson,Stewart, and Slaton putting up stud-like seasons. Outside of the aforementioned Moreno they weren't worth much more than spot starts and even he wasn't that great.

It used to be that if you needed a 2nd-3rd rb that one of the best places to look was at the rookies. That didn't really work this season. Might think twice before drafting a rookie back next season.

I think the situations and lack of depth in the RB class were the two biggest factors. The 5 most highly thought of backs went into situations where they didn't need to carry the load, and after Moreno/Wells/Brown/McCoy/Green none of the other backs were really considered any good.

They just weren't very good this year. Not a single elite back in that 2009 class, IMO.

Pretty much every year you could count on a couple of rookie running backs rushing for over 1000 yards. That didn't happen this season for the first time since the early 90's. Knowshon Moreno was over 900 yards. No one else was close.Overall rookie rbs sucked this year for fantasy unlike last season when you had guys like Forte,Johnson,Stewart, and Slaton putting up stud-like seasons. Outside of the aforementioned Moreno they weren't worth much more than spot starts and even he wasn't that great.It used to be that if you needed a 2nd-3rd rb that one of the best places to look was at the rookies. That didn't really work this season. Might think twice before drafting a rookie back next season.
I say fluke. In the right situations, I could see Dwyer, Matthews, and possibly Spiller surpass the total next year.

They just weren't very good this year. Not a single elite back in that 2009 class, IMO.
I would say Wells' talent level is at least the same as Charles and Rice. Both are considered elite RBs now given their situation.I would also say Wells' talent level is at least the same as Dwyer, Matthews, and Spiller.

I would say Wells' talent level is at least the same as Charles and Rice. Both are considered elite RBs now given their situation.I would also say Wells' talent level is at least the same as Dwyer, Matthews, and Spiller.
I don't think I would. He probably had the best overall numbers of any rookie RB when you look at YPC and yardage though.

I was not really surprised and would not be surprised if this happened again in 2010 but I don't know if I call it a trend. I don't know that the 2009 RB class will produce an elite RB. And then when you look at how good the RB class prior to that was there are a lot of good young RB that were rostered in the NFL in 2008 and I don't see a ton of opportunities that will be available for the 2010 class. Someone might end up in a spot to get a chance to be a workhorse from day 1 but the NFL has a lot of good young RB right now.

So now that we've seen them predictions on who will be the best ones?

Mine:

1. Beanie Wells. Provided he can stay on the field

2. Shonn Greene. Provided he stops fumbling.

3. Bernard Scott. There's a lot of explosion in those legs.

4. Knowshon Moreno. I think from here on down all will be relegated to career RBBC guys.

5. LeSean McCoy.

6. Donald Brown.

7. Rashad Jennings.

Users who are viewing this thread