What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Oakland Raiders 2012 Regular Season Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Why announce Huff's move to CB after the season, and in advance of hiring a new DC and GM?

I know Huff played the position in college, and was useful in our nickel package looks. I think Chekwa could also play safety, but both he and DVD need to be groomed in the backfield overall.

I guess the question is, why do this now? Is this something Hue felt he needed to do to underscore his "I'm taking a stronger hand in the team" message? Is it a harbinger of the moves the Raiders are thinking of making in FA?

The timing to me is strange, from any standpoint (practical, psychological, etc.).

I do agree that snagging a OL is a gigantic need, and it would be awesome to see us bring in a talented WR like Lloyd, Bowe, Colston or Stevie Johnson who could complement the vertical system and be a true #1 target that can open up opportunity for Ford, Moore, and DHB.

I think bolstering our LB corps is a need as well, with someone like Curtis Lofton or E.J. Henderson -- though it seems the pickings here in FA is indeed a little slim.

The loss of Bush will be sad, and I like Jones's potential to provide depth, but Taiwan doesn't bring to the table what the Raiders ground game looked good at over the last few years -- solid downhill north/south between-the-tackles runs. Would be nice to secure this skill set, if only as a good COP to McFadden -- and as a potential load-carrying backup starter in the event McFadden continues to ail.

Benson, Hillis, Hightower, and Law Firm would be great but likely out of reach for what we might pay, but Tolbert, Law Firm, even Ryan Grant might add solid depth and fill the need.

Huff probably played CB more often than not this season. So the timeing isnt all that strange. My thinking is Huff at safety is a weakness against the run. IMO he'd be best as a nickel or dime corner and backup safety. With a full training camp though he should improve as a corner. Why not consult with the new DC and GM first? I'm not sure but Al Davis was there when they made the decision to start useing Huff at nickel this year. I dont think it was just suddenly talked about after the season was over. The process was already started.

Hue didnt name anyone specifically but when he said they didnt have the personell they needed in the secondary he also mentioned the secondary's inability to make tackles against the run along with the linebackers. Giordano, Mitchell, and the corners were guilty as well but Huff is a part of that overall problem. I think moveing Huff, having Mitchell healthy in training camp, and bringing in another starting quality safety will help. It gives Huff another way to prove he isnt a bust as well.

Great move! Happy that Mark Davis made a quick and decisive decision here. Should go a long way to help this offseason.

Great move! Happy that Mark Davis made a quick and decisive decision here. Should go a long way to help this offseason.
Most encouraging offseason move Oakland has made in recent memory. We now have someone who understands modern football running the show.

Very weird to have this done well and quickly. :banned:
As distasteful as I always found it when Raider fans basically wished Al dead so the team could move forward, it looks like it might actually be happening.Of course it's still early, but progress is progress.

Mike Florio reporting that you shouldn't be shocked if Hue Jackson doesn't last in Oakland. As in McKenzie might want to hire his guy this year. This article of course is just speculation but it would make things interesting in Raider Nation.

Could Hue be one and done?

Mike Florio reporting that you shouldn't be shocked if Hue Jackson doesn't last in Oakland. As in McKenzie might want to hire his guy this year. This article of course is just speculation but it would make things interesting in Raider Nation.

Could Hue be one and done?
Yeah, I saw that. Florio and Rosenthal have been banging that drum since the season ended. Whoever was the GM, they would have said the same thing. If the Raiders had hired Hue Jackson's father, they would have said the same thing. Every single time Hue talked about the future, the offseason, those two posted something--"Oh boy, looks like Hue isn't going to like the new GM. Look out now! We smell trouble!! UUUhhh OOOHHHH!!!!!"

The title says 'don't be shocked', then later he writes: 'Would it be shocking? Yes.' Donkey.

PFT doesn't even pretend to have a source on this one.

EDIT: Hue worked with Al Davis, but is gonna have a problem with a GM? :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Hue's personality and even his aggressive playcalling. He did make several game management mistakes and couldnt fix the penalty problem despite bringing officials into practice. The team finished 8-8. That's not good enough but you have to consider everything that happened with this team this year. Ownership seem to think Hue deserves another chance. However this is McKenzie's first gig as GM and he might have someone in mind he intended to hire regardless of what team he went to. We dont know that but its possible. We should find out pretty quickly if Hue will be back or not.

Ownership seem to think Hue deserves another chance. However this is McKenzie's first gig as GM and he might have someone in mind he intended to hire regardless of what team he went to. We dont know that but its possible. We should find out pretty quickly if Hue will be back or not.
Anything is possible. But this.......rumor is based in nothing more than the musings of the PFT pot-stirrers. Mark D. has made it clear he is a Hue guy. As quickly as McKenzie was hired, I don't think Hue was even a little bit of a sticking point. There is NO NEWS HERE. Just because Florio wonders something out loud doesn't mean it is any more credible than me wondering if we are going to trade McFadden and Denarius to Indy for Luck.

Man, to make the quick hiring of Reggie look even better, the other top GM candidate out there is staying put:

DeCosta isn’t leaving BaltimoreThree teams requested to speak with Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta, but he’s not going to meet with anyone.DeCosta has decided to stay in Baltimore, where he is the G.M. in waiting behind Ozzie Newsome.“Since this franchise started in 1996, we’ve established a strong history of retaining our most important executives, players, coaches and personnel experts,” Newsome said in a statement. “Eric, who has had opportunities to interview with other teams recently and over the years, is another one we want to keep and will keep. He has chosen to stay with the Ravens, and we’re excited that he will. He is a most valuable asset and will continue to help us win championships.”

Rumor has it that the Raiders are going to trade McFadden and Denarius to Indy for Luck.

'massraider said:
'UnknownCoach said:
Ownership seem to think Hue deserves another chance. However this is McKenzie's first gig as GM and he might have someone in mind he intended to hire regardless of what team he went to. We dont know that but its possible. We should find out pretty quickly if Hue will be back or not.
Anything is possible. But this.......rumor is based in nothing more than the musings of the PFT pot-stirrers. Mark D. has made it clear he is a Hue guy. As quickly as McKenzie was hired, I don't think Hue was even a little bit of a sticking point. There is NO NEWS HERE. Just because Florio wonders something out loud doesn't mean it is any more credible than me wondering if we are going to trade McFadden and Denarius to Indy for Luck.
Yea, if the Raiders fail next year then we can talk about this. As for this year I can't see any way Davis & Trask allow Jackson to make that trade for Palmer, Hue's guy, only to dump Hue in the offseason.

We cant hire any coaches from GB until they are out of the playoffs or win the Superbowl. Though the knowledge of who could easily be leaked beforehand.

This firing seems surreal. How could they up and fire Hue after allowing him to kill two years of top draft picks and mortgaging the future on CP? What of CP now? Hue pissed me off with all his talk of building a bully and not executing, but I'd feel better if he was still on-board. Maybe it was a personality thing between him and McKenzie. Maybe he was too full of himself. I'm not liking this move, not because I was a HueJax fan (toward the end, he kind of lost me when he basically threw the team under the bus). But because we need some continuity. This team wasn't that bad, it just had some lousy breaks with injuries and horrible DC.

I'm all for the Hue firing. I wasn't a big fan of his to begin with. He is all bluster and no substance if you ask me. Let the knew area of "Commitment to Excellence" begin.

This firing seems surreal. How could they up and fire Hue after allowing him to kill two years of top draft picks and mortgaging the future on CP? What of CP now? Hue pissed me off with all his talk of building a bully and not executing, but I'd feel better if he was still on-board. Maybe it was a personality thing between him and McKenzie. Maybe he was too full of himself. I'm not liking this move, not because I was a HueJax fan (toward the end, he kind of lost me when he basically threw the team under the bus). But because we need some continuity. This team wasn't that bad, it just had some lousy breaks with injuries and horrible DC.
Dont think of it as firing Jackson. Think of it as hiring McKenzie. Its just the domino effect.

Dont think of it as firing Jackson. Think of it as hiring McKenzie. Its just the domino effect.
:goodposting:

I'm ok with the move. This is the first <new> GM that the Raiders have had in over 50 years. Think about that length of time. It's amazing. And it's also time for change. Big change. And change can come with tradition. Good job for Mark Davis to step in and immediately bring the Raiders into this century with the hiring of McKenzie. M. Davis made a big move early in the off-season. In years past this type of decision would have taken months to play out while potential top candidates passed on the Raiders and jumped into other opportunities. Why not completely embrace the change and allow the GM to do his job and appoint his staff?

I get why some could be frustrated with the loss of Hue since at a high level he has been the best coach that the Raiders have had in quite some time. BUT... look who he is compared to! The bar was set pretty low with the hiring of Art Shell for crying out loud. Hue made some positive gains with the team, but there is still a lot of ground to make up. Penalties anybody!?

I also get why McKenzie has not touched the rest of the staff yet. My bet is that he brings in his HC and allows that HC to assemble his staff, which likely will include the new HC interviewing the remaining coaches to see if they fit into the new plan or not.

And I went into this off-season thinking it was going to be a quiet one!? Wow. Just wow.

Hire Philbin, sign Flynn, trade Palmer for a 2nd round pick.

I'm not saying that will happen, but its suddenly an option. One I would be happy to see.

Hue Talks

Interesting that his story has seemed to even change from his first comments earlier today, now saying that it was Mark Davis who fired him. And even going as far as commenting that the Palmer trade came from above him? That part I don't believe.

Hue Talks

Interesting that his story has seemed to even change from his first comments earlier today, now saying that it was Mark Davis who fired him. And even going as far as commenting that the Palmer trade came from above him? That part I don't believe.
He didnt say Mark Davis fired him. He just said Davis wouldnt give Hue a say in who the GM would be. Hue aknowkledged that a new GM usually brings in his own coach. All the interview is saying is that Hue tried his best to keep his job which included trying to convince the owner to let him in on the GM hiring. Its not the coach's job to hire a GM, its the owner's. Its not the owner's job to hire and fire the coach, its the GM's. The good news out of this is that it shows Marc Davis has a good idea on what he should and shouldnt do as an owner.

Hue Talks

He didnt say Mark Davis fired him. He just said Davis wouldnt give Hue a say in who the GM would be. Hue aknowkledged that a new GM usually brings in his own coach. All the interview is saying is that Hue tried his best to keep his job which included trying to convince the owner to let him in on the GM hiring. Its not the coach's job to hire a GM, its the owner's. Its not the owner's job to hire and fire the coach, its the GM's. The good news out of this is that it shows Marc Davis has a good idea on what he should and shouldnt do as an owner.
Really? I'm not one to argue... But Hue said he thinks Mark Davis fired him:
Obviously, Mark Davis did not share that opinion. And though the owner and McKenzie insisted in a news conference Tuesday afternoon that the general manager had made the call to dismiss the coach, Jackson believes otherwise.

“It ain’t Reggie,” Hue said of McKenzie, with whom he is friendly. “Me and him get along. The easiest thing to do is to start over and bring in all new people, which is what he’s doing. The hardest thing to do is to say, ‘I’m gonna keep a guy who’s already here and try to build around him.’

Really? I'm not one to argue... But Hue said he thinks Mark Davis fired him:
No, Hue always shows his emotions and he's just showing his disapointment that he couldnt convince Marc Davis to give him a vote of confidence and let him in on the GM hiring. Marc Davis is not Al Davis. He isnt going to coach the team, hire all the coaches, make all the draft picks, and make all the trades. Davis consulted with people like John Madden and they helped him hire a GM and that GM is going to hire his own coach because that is what GMs do. It was important to bring in a GM quickly after the season was over because Marc Davis is not the football genious that his father was. Its good that Davis understands his limits. Its good that he isnt trying to make all the decisions by himself.Hue Jackson on the other hand simply saw the career opportunity and tried to get friendly with the new owner. Just because it didnt work out for Hue that way doesnt mean Marc Davis fired Hue.

[posted this in the Hue Jackson Fired thread but it applies in this thread as well, of course...]

My favorite part of the press conference was when Reggie said that the Head Coach will have full authority to hire his entire coaching staff.

The hand-picked Al Davis assortment of ex-Raider's and Al's favorites as coaches is one of the main reasons why I think the Raiders have been down for so long.

Gotta let the HC build HIS coaching staff with the people he believe share his vision and philosophy.

There’s really no way to judge the firing of Hue Jackson at this moment. I want to believe our new GM McKenzie is as good as advertized. I want to believe that Al Davis’s son Mark, is getting good advice on handling the team moving forward. If it improves the team, I’m all for it.

But before we say it’s great to have our first GM in history other than Al Davis, let’s remember that the Raiders are Al Davis. I’ll say that again.

The Raiders are Al Davis….Al Davis is the Raiders.

You can’t love one without intrinsically loving the blueprint that Davis put on the team. You’d be a hypocrite to disagree.

Davis was a pioneer in this league, and his height/weight/speed….speed above all else methodology of developing a franchise, his loyalty to “his” guys, his stubborn insistence of man press coverage with single deep safety, his philosophy that the QB must go down and must go down hard. The “Raider Mystique”. The Black and Silver credo of intimidation. These were all part of the Al Davis culture.

And now it all feels more and more like the day Davis died. The Raiders kind of died with him. It’s very sad to remember, but it won’t ever be the same. I’ve followed the Raiders all my life, over 4 decades now. They are the one constant that hasn’t changed. Better or worse, they had Al Davis’s fingerprints all over them. As a franchise, they seemed like a monarchy among a cartel of colonials. Davis was the last of the true mavericks. While the rest of the owners were just a bunch of corporate bonus babies who never had to beat the mean streets to get what they got. Davis was a tough SOB before he was a rich owner, and maybe he did some regrettable and petty things, but he was true to himself and his vision of the Oakland Raiders. He always put winning ahead of money, and he proved it with his checkbook always rostering close to the most expensive team in the NFL.

By firing Hue Jackson, it appears ostensively that Mark Davis is starting to cut ties with everything his father stood for. Jackson was a strong willed leader who had the Raiders moving in the right direction early in the season, but then it all unraveled with key injuries and awful defensive schemes. Certainly he could have done a better job toward the end of the season. But he was a rookie head coach; one that commanded respect in the locker room. His ego was out of control and he needed to be harnessed in a bit more, but firing him went too far.

Now who will be the next coach? Will McKenzie bring in the Packers west coast offense? Will the Raiders go to a 3-4 defense? Will it be another year of transition, and another year of waiting for the Raiders to improve just to get back to mediocre? This 2011 Raiders team that was making strides since the Cable guy, is now blown up and the deck chairs are re-shuffled once again.

And I’m not saying that they wouldn’t be changes for the better in this pass happy league. Just saying it won’t be the same. Even the changes mark improvements and the playoffs, only the black and silver uniforms will tell me that they are the Raiders. I’m afraid that they will be as bland as homogenous as the rest of the NFL, no longer a monarchy, but a colonist. Time will tell if Mark Davis has any of his pop’s moxie or if he’s just another inheritance baby mailing it to corporate.

There’s really no way to judge the firing of Hue Jackson at this moment. I want to believe our new GM McKenzie is as good as advertized. I want to believe that Al Davis’s son Mark, is getting good advice on handling the team moving forward. If it improves the team, I’m all for it.But before we say it’s great to have our first GM in history other than Al Davis, let’s remember that the Raiders are Al Davis. I’ll say that again.The Raiders are Al Davis….Al Davis is the Raiders.You can’t love one without intrinsically loving the blueprint that Davis put on the team. You’d be a hypocrite to disagree.Davis was a pioneer in this league, and his height/weight/speed….speed above all else methodology of developing a franchise, his loyalty to “his” guys, his stubborn insistence of man press coverage with single deep safety, his philosophy that the QB must go down and must go down hard. The “Raider Mystique”. The Black and Silver credo of intimidation. These were all part of the Al Davis culture. And now it all feels more and more like the day Davis died. The Raiders kind of died with him. It’s very sad to remember, but it won’t ever be the same. I’ve followed the Raiders all my life, over 4 decades now. They are the one constant that hasn’t changed. Better or worse, they had Al Davis’s fingerprints all over them. As a franchise, they seemed like a monarchy among a cartel of colonials. Davis was the last of the true mavericks. While the rest of the owners were just a bunch of corporate bonus babies who never had to beat the mean streets to get what they got. Davis was a tough SOB before he was a rich owner, and maybe he did some regrettable and petty things, but he was true to himself and his vision of the Oakland Raiders. He always put winning ahead of money, and he proved it with his checkbook always rostering close to the most expensive team in the NFL. By firing Hue Jackson, it appears ostensively that Mark Davis is starting to cut ties with everything his father stood for. Jackson was a strong willed leader who had the Raiders moving in the right direction early in the season, but then it all unraveled with key injuries and awful defensive schemes. Certainly he could have done a better job toward the end of the season. But he was a rookie head coach; one that commanded respect in the locker room. His ego was out of control and he needed to be harnessed in a bit more, but firing him went too far.Now who will be the next coach? Will McKenzie bring in the Packers west coast offense? Will the Raiders go to a 3-4 defense? Will it be another year of transition, and another year of waiting for the Raiders to improve just to get back to mediocre? This 2011 Raiders team that was making strides since the Cable guy, is now blown up and the deck chairs are re-shuffled once again.And I’m not saying that they wouldn’t be changes for the better in this pass happy league. Just saying it won’t be the same. Even the changes mark improvements and the playoffs, only the black and silver uniforms will tell me that they are the Raiders. I’m afraid that they will be as bland as homogenous as the rest of the NFL, no longer a monarchy, but a colonist. Time will tell if Mark Davis has any of his pop’s moxie or if he’s just another inheritance baby mailing it to corporate.
I love the Raiders mystique as much as the next fan, but Al Davis's way hadn't been working for almost 20 years (Gruden era excepted). Davis himself prized winning above all else, and that's all that we should care about.

[posted this in the Hue Jackson Fired thread but it applies in this thread as well, of course...]My favorite part of the press conference was when Reggie said that the Head Coach will have full authority to hire his entire coaching staff.The hand-picked Al Davis assortment of ex-Raider's and Al's favorites as coaches is one of the main reasons why I think the Raiders have been down for so long.Gotta let the HC build HIS coaching staff with the people he believe share his vision and philosophy.
Yes I heard that also and it stood out to me as well. I think this is a very good thing and now the HC can pick coaches that he trusts and can work with. I like it alot. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raiderfan32904 said:
There’s really no way to judge the firing of Hue Jackson at this moment. I want to believe our new GM McKenzie is as good as advertized. I want to believe that Al Davis’s son Mark, is getting good advice on handling the team moving forward. If it improves the team, I’m all for it.But before we say it’s great to have our first GM in history other than Al Davis, let’s remember that the Raiders are Al Davis. I’ll say that again.The Raiders are Al Davis….Al Davis is the Raiders.You can’t love one without intrinsically loving the blueprint that Davis put on the team. You’d be a hypocrite to disagree.Davis was a pioneer in this league, and his height/weight/speed….speed above all else methodology of developing a franchise, his loyalty to “his” guys, his stubborn insistence of man press coverage with single deep safety, his philosophy that the QB must go down and must go down hard. The “Raider Mystique”. The Black and Silver credo of intimidation. These were all part of the Al Davis culture. And now it all feels more and more like the day Davis died. The Raiders kind of died with him. It’s very sad to remember, but it won’t ever be the same. I’ve followed the Raiders all my life, over 4 decades now. They are the one constant that hasn’t changed. Better or worse, they had Al Davis’s fingerprints all over them. As a franchise, they seemed like a monarchy among a cartel of colonials. Davis was the last of the true mavericks. While the rest of the owners were just a bunch of corporate bonus babies who never had to beat the mean streets to get what they got. Davis was a tough SOB before he was a rich owner, and maybe he did some regrettable and petty things, but he was true to himself and his vision of the Oakland Raiders. He always put winning ahead of money, and he proved it with his checkbook always rostering close to the most expensive team in the NFL. By firing Hue Jackson, it appears ostensively that Mark Davis is starting to cut ties with everything his father stood for. Jackson was a strong willed leader who had the Raiders moving in the right direction early in the season, but then it all unraveled with key injuries and awful defensive schemes. Certainly he could have done a better job toward the end of the season. But he was a rookie head coach; one that commanded respect in the locker room. His ego was out of control and he needed to be harnessed in a bit more, but firing him went too far.Now who will be the next coach? Will McKenzie bring in the Packers west coast offense? Will the Raiders go to a 3-4 defense? Will it be another year of transition, and another year of waiting for the Raiders to improve just to get back to mediocre? This 2011 Raiders team that was making strides since the Cable guy, is now blown up and the deck chairs are re-shuffled once again.And I’m not saying that they wouldn’t be changes for the better in this pass happy league. Just saying it won’t be the same. Even the changes mark improvements and the playoffs, only the black and silver uniforms will tell me that they are the Raiders. I’m afraid that they will be as bland as homogenous as the rest of the NFL, no longer a monarchy, but a colonist. Time will tell if Mark Davis has any of his pop’s moxie or if he’s just another inheritance baby mailing it to corporate.
I can understand your view to a certain extent.Nostalgia.It's nice, but it will be quickly forgotten after the Raiders are put on the right track.I don't think you guys realize how lucky you are right now. McKenzie knows his stuff. He will be adding something the Raiders haven't had in a long time: Structure and Stability.He's going to build the team through the draft. Maddening fans at times by trading down. He's not going to spend big dollars on overpriced free agents, and he's certainly not going to give up multiple early picks for an aging mediocre QB.I hope Davis gives him time, because it's not going to happen overnight. I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take a step back in terms of record next year. Even so, the team is going to be in better LONG TERM shape than it has been in a long time.

I hope Davis gives him time, because it's not going to happen overnight. I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take a step back in terms of record next year. Even so, the team is going to be in better LONG TERM shape than it has been in a long time.
This.

ESPN INSIDER: Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2010 NFL Draft

The Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs were big beneficiaries in Mel Kipers 2010 draft re-grade.

In an interesting ESPN.com Insider piece, Kiper re-graded the draft for each NFL team after reviewing the season. He compared the new grade to the grade he assigned each team immediately after the draft.

Lets take a quick look at Kipers past-and-current grades for each AFC West team. We will go in order the best post-season grade.

Kansas City

Kipers current grade: A

Draft-day grade: B-minus

Why: Kiper said he underestimated the completeness of this group on draft day. The Chiefs got five significant contributors on a division winner with this draft.

Oakland

Kipers current grade: A-minus

Draft-day grade: C-plus

Why: Kiper admits he made a big mistake, by giving the Raiders massive jump on his re-grade. The Raiders got four solid starters, who could be the nucleus of a playoff team for next several years.

Denver

Kipers current grade: C-plus

Draft-day grade: C-minus

Why: Kiper sees up to five nucleus players from his draft. He admits the overall grade could jump or take a nosedive depending on the play of quarterback Tim Tebow, who Kiper said he is yet to be sold on.

San Diego

Kipers current grade: C-minus

Draft-day grade: B

Why: The Chargers didnt get much from the class other than first-round pick Ryan Mathews. He was good when healthy. But he wasnt on the field enough to garner the Chargers a good re-grade by Kiper."

Users who are viewing this thread