What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2023-2024 Subscriber Post Season/Playoffs Contest (1 Viewer)

Dacomish

Footballguy
And so we begin the Playoff Contest period, Good luck to all once it goes live.

From @Contest Turk in last year's thread a few days ago for info:

"Yes, no promises but we'll hope to have it live by Tuesday. Outside shot it could be soft-launched in this thread by Monday, but again, no promises.
It will be the same format as last year, but with some subtle scoring system changes to make QBs a little less valuable and everyone else a little more."

@Contest Turk or @Joe Bryant could one of you pin this now that the regular season contest is complete. Cheers!

For those of us unfamiliar but interested, can you post a link to the rules? TIA

Don't have a link but the gist of it is you can pick as many or as few players as you want from any positions and teams, as long as you stay under the cap. For each of the first three weeks of the playoffs, only your top two scoring players from each NFL team count towards your score (positions are irrelevant so you can have 12 different QBs count for you in the first week, for example). There are cutlines like the regular contest, something like bottom 50% get cut each week, and scores reset each week. For the Super Bowl, all available players count towards your score. So it's a balancing act between having enough players from the eventual two SB teams to put up a big score in the final week, while also having enough players from various other playoff teams to keep you afloat the first three weeks. It's an even bigger crapshoot than the regular season contest and always a lot of fun.

Edit: Looks like maybe the rules were entirely different last year. For some reason I don't remember that at all, I might've just missed the contest completely last year. :shrug:

Last edited:
For those of us unfamiliar but interested, can you post a link to the rules? TIA

Here is last years thread for reference (assuming nothing changed this year ).

Here's my first draft...

In the Wildcard round, you have these players:​

Joe Flacco - QB - CLE
Jared Goff - QB - DET
Trevor Lawrence - QB - JAC
Matthew Stafford - QB - LAR
Tua Tagovailoa - QB - MIA
Baker Mayfield - QB - TB

In the Divisional round (points multiplied by 2), you have these players:​

Josh Allen - QB - BUF
James Cook - RB - BUF
Stefon Diggs - WR - BUF
Jalen Hurts - QB - PHI
A.J. Brown - WR - PHI
DeVonta Smith - WR - PHI

In the Championship round (points multiplied by 3), you have these players:​

Dak Prescott - QB - DAL
CeeDee Lamb - WR - DAL
Patrick Mahomes - QB - KC
Travis Kelce - TE - KC
Zay Flowers - WR - BAL
Brandon Aiyuk - WR - SF

In the Super Bowl (points multiplied by 5), you have these players:​

Lamar Jackson - QB - BAL
Justin Tucker - PK - BAL
Brock Purdy - QB - SF
Christian McCaffrey - RB - SF
Deebo Samuel - WR - SF
Jake Moody - PK - SF

Initial thought is you have to wonder about the new guard / hot teams versus the wounded favorites..... CLE, DET, LAR, MIA versus BUF, PHI, KC, DAL. Not saying the right strategy isn't to set your round rosters based on vegas odds...but it will be an interesting year with many disturbances in the force. I'm thinking you'll have to have at least one if not two from the first list progressing further than one or two from the second list....

Here's my first draft...

Joe Flacco - QB - CLE
Jared Goff - QB - DET
Trevor Lawrence - QB - JAC
Baker Mayfield - QB - TB

Josh Allen - QB - BUF
James Cook - RB - BUF
Stefon Diggs - WR - BUF
Jalen Hurts - QB - PHI
A.J. Brown - WR - PHI
DeVonta Smith - WR - PHI

Dak Prescott - QB - DAL
CeeDee Lamb - WR - DAL
Travis Kelce - TE - KC
Zay Flowers - WR - BAL
Brandon Aiyuk - WR - SF

Lamar Jackson - QB - BAL
Justin Tucker - PK - BAL
Brock Purdy - QB - SF
Deebo Samuel - WR - SF
Jake Moody - PK - SF
Looks pretty good. Maybe flip the SB WRs/K between the last two rounds.

Really hoping there's a format change. Going to be a lot of death to dormie teams after the first round.

SB Champion Browns anyone?

Flacco's revenge (Lamar MVP, Flacco SB MVP).

EvansAllenJacksonMcaffrey
GoffTuaHurtsPurdy
LoveHillBrownAiyuk
TrevorStaffordTuckerFlacco
MahommesLambElliottCooper
StroudDiggsFlowersNjoku

Doubling down on Flacco's Revenge pending injury reports. Chiefs losing is only wildcard upset....

EvansAllenJacksonMcaffrey
StaffordTuaGoffPurdy
LoveHillStRaAiyuk
KelceHurtzGibbsFlacco
MahommesLambKittleCooper
StroudDiggsFlowersNjoku

Initial thought is you have to wonder about the new guard / hot teams versus the wounded favorites..... CLE, DET, LAR, MIA versus BUF, PHI, KC, DAL. Not saying the right strategy isn't to set your round rosters based on vegas odds...but it will be an interesting year with many disturbances in the force. I'm thinking you'll have to have at least one if not two from the first list progressing further than one or two from the second list....
spot on

I have CLE and LAR advancing. Also leaning TB.

there was a free post season contest, is the only option now the one that costs $50 to enter?
edit: i now see the placeholder link in the wild card weekend landing page. i guess we await the link.... and apparently the wild card round positional rankings

Last edited:
Question - so I can only use each player once? Like I couldn't make Josh Allen my QB for all 4 rounds?
The entry form is great about removing check boxes from a players row once you select him for a specific round. Super clear and nicely done!

Thanks, glad you like it! I wish we had had time to add some other niceties, like a thing that shows you a running tally of how many guys you have in each round so far.

Question - so I can only use each player once? Like I couldn't make Josh Allen my QB for all 4 rounds?
The entry form is great about removing check boxes from a players row once you select him for a specific round. Super clear and nicely done!

Thanks, glad you like it! I wish we had had time to add some other niceties, like a thing that shows you a running tally of how many guys you have in each round so far.
Ha. I was wondering about that exact feature this morning when I dove into the form. :)

Entry submitted. Picked with my heart so... Mason Rudolph for the win!!! :towelwave:

Really liked the Super 6 groupings we tracked last year.

OK, I just submitted my picks, and I'm in. But unlike past seasons, I'm going to try to set it and forget it, rather than spend the next 3 days reading up on stats and going against my first impression picks.

We'll see how that goes. And it goes without saying that you probably need to pick some upsets in this contest. If you go with all the Vegas favorites and are right, so will 5,000 other people :ponder: ❗

Set and forget here as well. I‘ll probably just do one final review on Frida night to make sure no one I selected is injured but, besides that, going with the bracket I decided on and loads of QBs and a few of the known studs. Not making any sleeper player picks at all. Not unique enough? Oh well. I’ll let those chips fall where they may.

Hey @Contest Turk
I think it would've been fun to offer BAL and SF players in week 1. I guarantee plenty of entries would've chosen them. Also, you could've thrown in a 15th team just to keep people on their toes.
:ponder: That's one good way to 'thin the herd . And as you said, I suspect some folks would have fallen for it. It's a pretty safe bet considering some kickers were rostered in the regular season contest that were on scout teams rather than actual NFL rosters.

I have to admit that I haven't kept up as closely with injuries the last few weeks, so that is in fact something I need to look at before the deadline, just to make sure I'm not eating donuts with my morning coffee.

The big change from last year is that QB scoring has been reduced. With this year's scoring, only about half the teams in the NFL had their QB as their highest scoring player (ppg). With last year's scoring it would've been pretty much every team.

Last year you wanted to fit as many QBs as you could on your roster since they tended to outscore even the top non-QBs. This year it's fine to go with other top players instead. That makes it more viable to narrow down your roster to fewer teams. You can have more wild card (or divisional) games where you aren't counting on either team to win, since you have instead loaded up your roster for the next round with multiple high-end players from other teams. And you aren't even losing out on expected production compared to teams that correctly called the wild card games and filled their divisional round roster with a bunch of different QBs.

I took a scattershot attempt and submitted so I don't totally miss the boat but I have to take a real honest second look using the parameters

-QG

i like this format a lot. my first go around was the chalkiest picks ever. i'll have to revisit. this is way better than that salary cap format.. i had no idea how the hell to do that one so i wouldnt even submit an entry. it scrambled my brain.

i like this format a lot. my first go around was the chalkiest picks ever. i'll have to revisit. this is way better than that salary cap format.. i had no idea how the hell to do that one so i wouldnt even submit an entry. it scrambled my brain.

Funny, I preferred the old format. This seems a little too straightforward, I liked having to work within the salary cap and consider the balance of players across the different weeks, that's what made it fun. Still appreciate it in any case, it's always fun to have something to follow during the playoffs.

It's crickets in here. I assume it's because people are trying not to share their entries. Well, let me be the first...

Jared Goff - QB - DET
Jordan Love - QB - GB
C.J. Stroud - QB - HOU
Jalen Hurts - QB - PHI
Mason Rudolph - QB - PIT

Joe Flacco - QB - CLE
Kyren Williams - RB - LAR
Brandon Aiyuk - WR - SF
Baker Mayfield - QB - TB

Josh Allen - QB - BUF
James Cook - RB - BUF
Stefon Diggs - WR - BUF
Dak Prescott - QB - DAL
CeeDee Lamb - WR - DAL
George Kittle - TE - SF

Lamar Jackson - QB - BAL
Zay Flowers - WR - BAL
Isaiah Likely - TE - BAL
Brock Purdy - QB - SF
Deebo Samuel - WR - SF

My thoughts
- Week 1, I simply chose the 6 losing QB's. Sure, I know the scoring changed, but a line of 200/1/1 is still 10 points.
- Week 2, I went with the 4 losing QB's. I added Kyren because he's been a monster, and wanted to get Aiyuk in too.
- Week 3 was used to roster 5 players from the losing Championship teams, and threw in Kittle for good measure.
- Many will go with a BAL/SF SB, but I doubt many will opt for Likely. He will be my difference maker!

It's crickets in here. I assume it's because people are trying not to share their entries. Well, let me be the first...

Jared Goff - QB - DET
Jordan Love - QB - GB
C.J. Stroud - QB - HOU
Jalen Hurts - QB - PHI
Mason Rudolph - QB - PIT

Joe Flacco - QB - CLE
Kyren Williams - RB - LAR
Brandon Aiyuk - WR - SF
Baker Mayfield - QB - TB

Josh Allen - QB - BUF
James Cook - RB - BUF
Stefon Diggs - WR - BUF
Dak Prescott - QB - DAL
CeeDee Lamb - WR - DAL
George Kittle - TE - SF

Lamar Jackson - QB - BAL
Zay Flowers - WR - BAL
Isaiah Likely - TE - BAL
Brock Purdy - QB - SF
Deebo Samuel - WR - SF

My thoughts
- Week 1, I simply chose the 6 losing QB's. Sure, I know the scoring changed, but a line of 200/1/1 is still 10 points.
- Week 2, I went with the 4 losing QB's. I added Kyren because he's been a monster, and wanted to get Aiyuk in too.
- Week 3 was used to roster 5 players from the losing Championship teams, and threw in Kittle for good measure.
- Many will go with a BAL/SF SB, but I doubt many will opt for Likely. He will be my difference maker!
Too much unneeded risk early. If Philly or Detroit lose, you'll be covered. You should consider Pollard/Ferguson in the second round in place of one of the Rams. Might bump Aiyuk back a round. Also if Tampa is going to beat Philly then Mayfield/Staffords best game might be in round 1. Not sure i want to roll out those guys vs. Dallas/SF.

Funny, I preferred the old format. This seems a little too straightforward, I liked having to work within the salary cap and consider the balance of players across the different weeks, that's what made it fun. Still appreciate it in any case, it's always fun to have something to follow during the playoffs.
Yup...old format was far superior. K and Def are useless here. Sure you could get two TDs from a defense or 5 FGs, but selecting on random events is low EV.

Yup...old format was far superior. K and Def are useless here. Sure you could get two TDs from a defense or 5 FGs, but selecting on random events is low EV.
They are not completely useless. There is a strategy where they could come into play. I like both formats definitely have to use completely different strategies. Maybe they could swap them every other year keep things interesting.

They are not completely useless. There is a strategy where they could come into play. I like both formats definitely have to use completely different strategies. Maybe they could swap them every other year keep things interesting.
I stand corrected...virtually useless. I could see a kicker cracking the lineup in the Super Bowl on a team like Baltimore. Outside of a kicker/defense on your Super Bowl team, they are worthless. There's no way they are the best option in rounds 1 and 2 and extremely unlikely in round 3.

Hey @Contest Turk just a question if you don't mind. With so many folks thinking there is a winning strategy using this format, how many duplicate teams were there last year?

Hey @Contest Turk just a question if you don't mind. With so many folks thinking there is a winning strategy using this format, how many duplicate teams were there last year?

Zero duplicates. Round 1 takes care of that. But Turk did put together a tool which grouped your final six. It was at that point you had numerous teams that were covered (same players the rest of the way and behind in points) or teams that were the same in the last two rounds and the title shot for those two teams would be determine by players in round 2.

Users who are viewing this thread