What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obama About To Give Away Internet Control (1 Viewer)

Based on what I read so far, this is about DNS and control over who gets to tie IP addresses to domains.  HTH.
On the surface yes it is
Do you have information readily available to you that the rest of us don't have showing more?  I've only read about it today, so I'd like a head start getting my affairs in order should your additional information necessitate that.  TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw an Infowars.com billboard on the highway this weekend

Mt. Rushmore featuring Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Obama

the only question i had is, what did Stalin, Hitler and Mao do that was even remotely as bad as what Obama has done to deserve a place on that Mt. Rushmore? poor fellas

To be fair to Jim11, Snopes has been an openly far-left partisan website for years
:lmao: When you got nothing else yell out "LIBERAL!"

http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2013/04/27/snopes-liberal-bias-and-trusting-the-internet/

Although there have been one or two cases where they haven’t been able to get an answer, or a case or two where perhaps they didn’t go back to update something when additional information comes forth, they generally do a great job investigating claims and rumors of all kinds–regardless of politics.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-09-28/story/fact-check-so-whos-checking-fact-finders-we-are#

Barbara Mikkelson is a Canadian citizen, so she can’t contribute to a political campaign or vote in U.S. elections. David Mikkelson provided his voter registration papers to FactCheck.org that show he registered as a Republican in 2000, and had no party affiliation in 2008.

saw an Infowars.com billboard on the highway this weekend

Mt. Rushmore featuring Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Obama

the only question i had is, what did Stalin, Hitler and Mao do that was even remotely as bad as what Obama has done to deserve a place on that Mt. Rushmore? poor fellas
Obama must have nudged Pol Pot out 

America should never cede control of anything to a foreign power.  Ever.

The US is the best and the rest of the world (including one unnamed Kenyan) need to deal with that

The internet originated with the U.S. military and has been under USA control ever since. Why turn over control to anybody, since it's working fine as it is?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I liken it to when the US ceded control of the Panama Canal. Lots of outrage, but nothing has become of that. I see Panama is even expanding
Well, there you go. I don't read Panamanian, do you? If everything on the internet is going to be in Panamanian..... I am on the outside looking in.

What's the downside here? Please explain as technically as possible. TIA.
One of those internet tubes could get a crack in it. Then where would we be? On a 30 hour work week with a full month of vacation in the summer do you honestly think those surrender monkeys will be able to search the entire internet to find the crack? C'mon brah.

The internet originated with the U.S. military and has been under USA control ever since. Why turn over control to anybody, since it's working fine as it is?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Government came up with ARPANET.  Saying that the internet originated in our military because of that is like saying the 2016 Ford Mustang originated in 3500 BC Mesopotamia (where it's believed the wheel originated).  

HTH

Government came up with ARPANET.  Saying that the internet originated in our military because of that is like saying the 2016 Ford Mustang originated in 3500 BC Mesopotamia (where it's believed the wheel originated).  

HTH
:goodposting:

Packet switching (which led to ARPANET) likely originated in the UK. France, US, and UK had large roles in what we recognize today as the internet.

i really can't believe we even let other countries use the internet.  we should just keep it for ourselves.   we rule!

Absolutely ridiculous that the administration is doing this when it still hasn't solved the problem of black on black crime.

This is some dumb ####.  

The group that has been handling the NAMING of web addresses for years will continue to do so.  But now it is officially their job and responsiblity.  

A quick search for 'Internet UN' turns up this article first, then a link to Breitbart and InfoWars.  So......yeah.  

INTERNET CONTROL!!!!!1111!!!!!!

For pete's sake.

Typical libtard.
Look, if you don't understand the role of DNS then I get why you might be nervous about this. It's like the angst over the large hadron collider creating a black hole that will swallow the world.  It had no basis in reality, but people with an agenda put out misinformation to cause fear in people with no background in the topic.

And my original point stands here.  I've seen Jim11 rail about the government controlling too much, and when they finally relinquish some of that control he gets upset?  Seems contrary.  I'm not bashing all conservatives here, just the one.

This is some dumb ####.  

The group that has been handling the NAMING of web addresses for years will continue to do so.  But now it is officially their job and responsiblity.  

A quick search for 'Internet UN' turns up this article first, then a link to Breitbart and InfoWars.  So......yeah.  

INTERNET CONTROL!!!!!1111!!!!!!

For pete's sake.
just pointing out the 1st thing  from that search is an article from the Wall Street Journal . We're not talking nutty Alex Jones although he's yammering about it too

Funny thing is the writer of the WSJ opinion piece in the OP believes the private sector created the internet. OP says the US government did.

There may be some push back on this.

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2782

The Obama administration is pushing through a radical proposal to take control of Internet domains and instead give it to an international organization, ICANN, that includes 162 foreign countries. If that proposal goes through, countries like Russia, China, and Iran could be able to censor speech on the Internet, including here in the U.S. by blocking access to sites they don't like.

Right now, the Obama administration’s proposal to give away the Internet is an extraordinary threat to our freedom and it’s one that many Americans don’t know anything about. It is scheduled to go into effect September 30, 2016. Congress must act before it's too late! 

I know some people don't like facts getting thrown into their political soup, but here's some info for you...

While ICANN has foreign board members, it is still a California based, private, non-profit organization with it's headquarters in Los Angeles.  The CEO is Swedish, but the Chairman of the Board, Steve Crocker, is American and one of the pioneers of the Internet.

The ICANN VP and chief security officer is Jeff Moss, the famous (ex) hacker who started Black Hat and DEFCON, and is also an advisor to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

There are 19 voting directors at this time - none of which come from Russia, China or Iran.  All this information is easily accessible.

https://icannwiki.com/ICANN_Board

The Obama administration is pushing through a radical proposal to take control of Internet domains and instead give it to an international organization, ICANN, that includes 162 foreign countries. If that proposal goes through, countries like Russia, China, and Iran could be able to censor speech on the Internet, including here in the U.S. by blocking access to sites they don't like.

Right now, the Obama administration’s proposal to give away the Internet is an extraordinary threat to our freedom and it’s one that many Americans don’t know anything about. It is scheduled to go into effect September 30, 2016. Congress must act before it's too late! 
Is there a single politician in our government who has the slightest clue about technology?  Every country already has the ability to control what comes in and out of their country if they choose to go there.  Who's maintaining the DNS registry has little to do with that, if anything.

Is there a single politician in our government who has the slightest clue about technology?  Every country already has the ability to control what comes in and out of their country if they choose to go there.  Who's maintaining the DNS registry has little to do with that, if anything.
Doesn't matter.  It's happening while a Kenyan Muslim is president.  Must be vile evilness.  flap> hey

I know some people don't like facts getting thrown into their political soup, but here's some info for you...

While ICANN has foreign board members, it is still a California based, private, non-profit organization with it's headquarters in Los Angeles.  The CEO is Swedish, but the Chairman of the Board, Steve Crocker, is American and one of the pioneers of the Internet.

The ICANN VP and chief security officer is Jeff Moss, the famous (ex) hacker who started Black Hat and DEFCON, and is also an advisor to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

There are 19 voting directors at this time - none of which come from Russia, China or Iran.  All this information is easily accessible.

https://icannwiki.com/ICANN_Board
This is best post in the thread, but unfortunately the folks with the torches and pitchforks over this will only be even more dismayed that a Swede in California is already "controling" the internet. The communists have already won in their world view.

Is there a single politician in our government who has the slightest clue about technology?  
Dunno the answer to that, but I am pretty sure there is only one candidate with the brass balls to pledge to build a walk around our internet. Not only will he do that, but the tubes will pay for it!

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/obama-plunges-toward-internet-surrender-to-globalists/

Pointing to the U.N.’s Geneva Declaration of Principles which clearly lays out the U.N.’s designs on taking over the Internet, Bergman argues that the giveaway could, “spell the end of the current era of free speech on the Internet, as well as free enterprise.”

The Obama administration’s plan is to abandon the oversight and responsibility for Internet governance, allowing those functions to fall into the hands of a group which is already considering content controls over the Internet.

As Gatestone Institute’s Judith Bergman warns, this could be the beginning of the end of the free and open Internet. The expectation of First Amendment protections on the Web will be a thing of the past.

U.N. control or not, failure of the U.S. government to maintain the current light touch oversight over Internet governance is a recipe for disaster as nations like China, Russia and Saudi Arabia begin to push for and exercise greater control over speech under the guise of limiting “hate speech” and protecting international human rights.

And when the U.N. takes over, it’s just a matter of time before it begins applying international law that would criminalize Charlie Hebdo or any criticism of Shariah law as “hate speech.

Jim and Ted Cruz are against this...pretty safe to say its probably best to support it strongly now.

Users who are viewing this thread