What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odor Clocks Bautista: VIDEO (1 Viewer)

There was another fight in the last couple years, NBA maybe but I can't remember, where some "tough guy" got hit pretty good and then stood there like Bats did.  I agree - real fights happen so rarely that simply the shock of it actually happening makes a counter punch unlikely. 

:lol: He wasn't even trying to throw to 1st.
What makes you say that? Because the throw went into so far left of 1st base? My take was Bautista's slide had the desired effect and caused Odor to throw wild. Now, if I'm wrong and Odor was trying to intentionally hit Bautista in the face then I'm certainly not justifying that as acceptable but I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the video.

I get why people dislike Bautista, he's really good and cocky and likes to talk.  I get why people like seeing Odor punching him, because he does talk a lot and people like to see fights and Odor comes off as mr manly man to some. I don't get why anyone would expect Bautista to see the punch coming. There are dozens of incidents like this a season and you never see real punches like that, so it was to some extent a sucker punch, even if Bautista is largely to blame for it. 

Also #### Matt Bush.
:no: If you're gonna step to the plate, expect a pitch.  Otherwise, stand down.

:no: If you're gonna step to the plate, expect a pitch.  Otherwise, stand down.
:shrug:  The commentators even say in the video, "You see a lot of pushing and shoving in sports, but when a guy closes his fist and makes that kind of contact, that's a game changer."

Well then this will teach Bats a lesson about throwing his weight around and hopefully he has fuller understanding of actions having consequences.  You wanna be a tough guy then expect the same in return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at the sucker punch crowd. Odor pushes him and Batista comes forward towards him reaching back with his right arm. You wanna act like a tough guy, you better be prepared to back it up.

How bad was his slide into second on a scale of 1-10? It didn't look too terrible to me, but I'm not a baseball guy.

That punch was a thing of beauty. Batista does have solid chin though. Surprised he didn't take a dirt nap after that haymaker. 

Really is a shame the Rangers didn't have the balls to act before his last AB of the season against them, could have made for some more fun games, oh well, cowards will be cowards.

Everyones gonna be tiptoeing around the bag against the Rangers the rest of the year lol. Go in hard and when you get up, you get punched out. 

What makes you say that? Because the throw went into so far left of 1st base? My take was Bautista's slide had the desired effect and caused Odor to throw wild. Now, if I'm wrong and Odor was trying to intentionally hit Bautista in the face then I'm certainly not justifying that as acceptable but I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the video.
I saw some ex-player tweets about the throw being suspect then rewatching it looks like Odor drops that pretty low. Looks pretty intentional but who knows.

Thing all seemed pretty understandable to me - late hard slide after getting tagged, guy gets up to talk #### doesn't think anything will happen like 95% of all baseball dustups, another dude was definitely ready and clocks him - except maybe why did the Rangers wait until the last AB of the season to plunk him.

Everyones gonna be tiptoeing around the bag against the Rangers the rest of the year lol. Go in hard and when you get up, you get punched out. 
I seriously doubt that.

Bautista will be overcompensating now though for getting clocked by a littler fella I bet :lol:  he's gonna be ready to step up to every perceived infraction. 

Hopefully these guys meet in the playoffs.

this is a bit overstated.  he's still putting up a respectable wRC+ of 123 so still very much a plus player.  i know they don't put much stock in these fancy stats down in mizzorah but using batting average is kind of a joke.  

he's certainly no alcides escobar tho
I'll keep the ring over the bat flip.  You can give him the $150MM to finish his career as a Cub.

The cheap shot people here are killing me :lmao:

Somebody said it best on Twitter today. Don't run at somebody with your hands down unless you want to get caught. Just because Bautista wasn't expecting doesn't make it a cheap shot. It just makes him a moron. 

The cheap shot people here are killing me :lmao:

Somebody said it best on Twitter today. Don't run at somebody with your hands down unless you want to get caught. Just because Bautista wasn't expecting doesn't make it a cheap shot. It just makes him a moron. 
:rolleyes:  Ok, we'll just ignore the conventions of every baseball brawl ever.

So Bautista homers at a big point in a playoff game last year and showboats.

The Rangers wait until the end of the series to hit him.

Bautista gets some back by going in hard on a really dirty player at second base.

Odor doesn't like it and clocks Bautista.

And you guys think Bautista had it coming?  Don't care if he's the devil himself, Bautista's in the right here.  You can't plunk someone in retaliation then get your panties in a twist when he comes back at you with a hard slide.

I'd 100% drill Odor next time I see him if I was a pitcher for the Jays.

ETA:  I didn't see that Fielder got nailed afterwards.  Done and dusted IMO.

Ok, so you agree he wasn't ready for the punch but think he should have been, therefore you wouldn't consider it a sucker punch?
Absolutely no question it was NOT a sucker punch. And yes, I agree that Bautista was not ready for the punch. But he should have been ready for the punch. He just got caught.

The pitch Bautista got hit with was pretty nasty.  A little too high up for my liking.  Didn't Texas already pay him back last year after the bat flip thing?  I lost score.

One thing MLB needs to do is fine and suspend any player that leaves the dugout or bullpen during a fight like the NHL does..let the 2 guys who have a beef settle it.
Problem is that NHL starts with 5 on 5. If there's the potential for 2 on 9, no one is staying in the dugout. 

Just trying to clarify why if Bautista didn't expect it, it's not a sucker punch?
I look at a sucker punch as either when someone's back is turned, thus no possible way of being ready for it, or no true confrontation leading up to said punch.

There was pushing and shoving, they were face to face. I don't care what Dictionary.com says, its not a sucker punch

Yeah, not a sucker punch in the general meaning. If you get in someone's face, be ready to get hit even if history suggests you won't.

I look at a sucker punch as either when someone's back is turned, thus no possible way of being ready for it, or no true confrontation leading up to said punch.

There was pushing and shoving, they were face to face. I don't care what Dictionary.com says, its not a sucker punch
If Odor wound up and cracked Bautista as he popped up from his slide, that would be a sucker punch. Shove = confrontation has started. 

Seriously guys we're getting off track here, the real focus is the A-Rod-esque left handed purse slap by Odor.
He was going for the 1-2 combo. But ya know what happens if you try to throw regular punch while wearing a baseball glove? You break all of your fingers. While it's not a good look to slap with the glove, I understand why it happened that way.

By the way, if you polled Jays fans who actually watch these guys every day, Bautista wouldn't crack the top 10 in terms of "being tough". I guess opponents think because he hits home runs and talks a lot he's tough?  He's actually much more thoughtful/intellectual than he is a tough guy.

By the way, if you polled Jays fans who actually watch these guys every day, Bautista wouldn't crack the top 10 in terms of "being tough". I guess opponents think because he hits home runs and talks a lot he's tough?  He's actually much more thoughtful/intellectual than he is a tough guy.
Don't worry, after getting B-slapped for the whole world to see no one will ever think of Bats as tough again.

Users who are viewing this thread