What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Office Building Climate Wars - What Is A Universal Temperature? (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Just trying to come up with a temperature range that is acceptable in an office building. I rent an office in a small split level building. I am upstairs with 3 other offices. One is vacant, one is only used 2-3 days a month, and the other is used for storage. Downstairs is a small doctor's practice (the doctor owns the building).

The building only has one heating zone and one thermostat (downstairs). Upstairs is in the sun and is 3-5 degrees warmer than downstairs. The doctor's office likes it 72-73 degrees . . . which in the summer means it's 75-77 in my office. That's too warm for me, and sometimes I will request the temp be lowered and reluctantly they sometimes lower it to 70.

They aren't open every day (today they are closed). And when they know they won't be there the next day, they turn the AC off entirely before they go home.This week has been in the high 90's. When I came in this morning it was 85 degrees inside my office. The AC has been on all day and the thermostat just dipped below 75 for the first time in 8 hours.

I have asked about getting the problem fixed, and the owner had people look at the HVAC system, who suggested adding a zone, increasing the output, and adding in more duct work (none of which he is willing to shell out money for).

So two questions . . .

1) what do most offices set for a temperature and 2) what is a reasonable compromise temperature setting to ask for to keep the AC on overnight or on weekends (it just takes WAY too long to cool off again if the AC has been off)?

one way to get around this is to try working next to a blast furnace for a summer or two then when you get back to your cooshey office and say to yourself man its like 75 in here you will remember that a blast furnace runs at right around 2000 degrees and basically tries to melt you wherever in the hell else you go on the floor and you will say brohan maybe 75 aint so bad while you sit down on your fancy high falootin wicker chair take that to the bank brochacho 

Just trying to come up with a temperature range that is acceptable in an office building. I rent an office in a small split level building. I am upstairs with 3 other offices. One is vacant, one is only used 2-3 days a month, and the other is used for storage. Downstairs is a small doctor's practice (the doctor owns the building).
Would it matter if he was larger?

Would it matter if he was larger?
Probably not, but if they had 300 people and I was renting the equivalent of a broom closet, I might expect to have far less of a vote. The point was to show that it was not a large building and there aren't that many people in here.

Get a cheap window a.c. unit and make sure you use the power from the doctor's office so they will have to pay for it. 
Seriously, it's easier for people to put a cheap space heater under their desk than expect everyone else to sweat their way thru work because the ladies legs get cold.

Seriously, it's easier for people to put a cheap space heater under their desk than expect everyone else to sweat their way thru work because the ladies legs get cold.
The last school I taught at didn't have air. So I took in the a.c. unit we had left over from our first house to use at the beginning and end of the school year. Word spread very quickly that my room had a.c.

Every year after that our principal would ask me not to bring it in because he didn't want to deal with the hundreds of parents calling the school and demanding all the classrooms have window units installed or the extra 40 calls he would get from 2nd grade parents demanding their kids get transferred to my class. 

Women in our office are freezing. Woman office wear is mostly made of thinner fabrics and shorter sleeves and lower neck line, the men are required to wear dress shirts and pants (no jackets are required). The war over the temperature is getting bad - some of us have given up our desks close to the windows to the ladies, the sunlight coming in keeps them warm.  Some women just have to deal with wearing sweaters - especially the older ones.

Users who are viewing this thread