What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 1/6 Select Committee thread*** (1 Viewer)

John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
I really like this quote a lot. And it’s why I’m glad for your participation and contributions here. If you would only consider toning down the hostility and acrimony a bit, the points you make would be ever more plausible and persuasive. That goes for all of us, of course. Wishing you all the best, Jon. 

I mean, I don't find it acceptable.

However, it is certainly 10,000 times more tolerable than a sitting President attempting to subvert the will of the people and democracy. That's where the outage belongs, not on some media sites reporting slant.
I get it....I just wish it wasn't so difficult to get basic, correct information in this country.  It's incredibly time consuming and tedious.  

I don't care what consensus is.  Jon's right - consensus is often wrong, and a terrible reason to believe something.

Weigh the facts and trust the truth.  Don't trust group speak.
Feels like we're talking past each other.  In my view consensus comes FROM the facts and "truth" as you put it...it's not a replacement for it.  Meaning, sometimes an entire group of people can get something completely wrong because we simply don't know everything and we learn something new that negates all or part of the fact base we were operating on as we were developing consensus.

Take the current topic as an example.  Early days of this particular event we learned a bunch of stuff that lead a good many of us to label this an insurrection level act, right?  However, as time's gone on, we've learned that consensus was incorrect and for several, it's rising to the level of seditious conspiracy.  

I am FIRMLY in the bold group and to me, the largest "group" I can think of in this country is our media.  If one is looking at it through the lens of our media then they are likely being influenced by that more than just looking at the raw data/facts without that filter.  

It really isn't.  Follow good sources.  There are lots of them.
In THIS country?  There are good sources, but you have to spend a TON of time weeding through all the nonsense to get to them.  I have found various substacks that seem pretty good, but for 95% of what I look for in headline topics, I go to sources outside our media machine.  It's significantly easier IMO.

Rule #4:  "Don't throw the Bozo Bit"

Cipollone's testifying Friday for the committee.  They're climbing the ladder.  I know some folks are thinking DOJ should have charged people already, but I do think this is the right way.  As more rats leave the ship (with their depositions on the way), I do think they're going all the way to the top.  Only when all the evidence is presented will the criminal referrals come.  

CNN — Trump White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has reached a deal with the January 6 committee to participate in a transcribed interview behind closed doors on Friday, multiple sources told CNN.

Cipollone will be appearing under subpoena. A source familiar with his thinking says Cipollone intended to comply with the subpoena issued on June 29 for a July 6 interview, and it was extended until July 8. The interview will be on video, two of the sources told CNN.

Cipollone, who many former administration officials credit with helping to prevent then-President Donald Trump from taking legally questionable actions in the months around the 2020 presidential election, has long been considered a key witness by the committee. He has resisted talking further with the committee after previously sitting for a closed-door interview on April 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never underestimate Lindsay...he has ZERO shame :lmao:

He's made a career of "If you don't have something to hide, I don't see why you wouldn't want to talk with us" kinds of talking points and positions.

CNN — Trump White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has reached a deal with the January 6 committee to participate in a transcribed interview behind closed doors on Friday, multiple sources told CNN.

Cipollone will be appearing under subpoena. A source familiar with his thinking says Cipollone intended to comply with the subpoena issued on June 29 for a July 6 interview, and it was extended until July 8. The interview will be on video, two of the sources told CNN.

Cipollone, who many former administration officials credit with helping to prevent then-President Donald Trump from taking legally questionable actions in the months around the 2020 presidential election, has long been considered a key witness by the committee. He has resisted talking further with the committee after previously sitting for a closed-door interview on April 13.
Got to get him live in front of the cameras. Or it doesn’t mean anything. 

Got to get him live in front of the cameras. Or it doesn’t mean anything. 
I like the approach of closed-door testimony first and then determining if public testimony is warranted.  Better to see how cooperative and forthcoming Cipollone will be before putting him on TV.

So what you're saying is that understanding liberal arguments "in their most plausible and persuasive form" has led you to the conclusion that we're all McCarthyite fascists and equivalent to Jim Crow-era lynch mobs?

The select commitee has had some effective impact from Barr's video taped interview so I disagree. It's not happening because of some executive privilege question concerns.
I genuinely don’t understand this. Executive privilege doesn’t reside with the individual, it resides with the office of the presidency. Trump can’t assert EP, only Biden can. So how does Cippolone get away with it?

I genuinely don’t understand this. Executive privilege doesn’t reside with the individual, it resides with the office of the presidency. Trump can’t assert EP, only Biden can. So how does Cippolone get away with it?

Because in this new world of "law and order" where subpoenas are purely optional for Republicans trying to overthrow the country he probably said he wouldn't testify unless behind closed doors. 

Because in this new world of "law and order" where subpoenas are purely optional for Republicans trying to overthrow the country he probably said he wouldn't testify unless behind closed doors. 
You're probably right. Of the many, many norms the Trump-era GOP has trashed, the evisceration of Congress' subpoena power may prove to be the most destructive in the long run

Rod... check.    

Reel... check.

Bait... check.  

Cast and wait.....
 It is absolutely true.  I find your political prosecution's disgustingly bigoted.  The vileness and irrational extreme hatefullness in wanting the heads of people you disagree with.  I don't understand this level of hate where you want to not only silence people but are willing to destroy lives.  The latest insanity of watching young children getting pressured into being labeled by teachers and peer pressure for acceptance these asinine gender labels is the most stupidest and evil thing yet.  And then these brainsmwaahed children being treated with hormones and maybe even surgeries is disgusting. It is one thing for the truly sick child with a real mental disorder, but to push these beliefs and turn an extremely rare condition and make it an epidemic in perfectly healthy children is an evil scientic experiment that is destroying tens of thousands of lives if not more. 

It is absolutely true.  I find your political prosecution's disgustingly bigoted.  The vileness and irrational extreme hatefullness in wanting the heads of people you disagree with.  I don't understand this level of hate where you want to not only silence people but are willing to destroy lives.  The latest insanity of watching young children getting pressured into being labeled by teachers and peer pressure for acceptance these asinine gender labels is the most stupidest and evil thing yet.  And then these brainsmwaahed children being treated with hormones and maybe even surgeries is disgusting. It is one thing for the truly sick child with a real mental disorder, but to push these beliefs and turn an extremely rare condition and make it an epidemic in perfectly healthy children is an evil scientic experiment that is destroying tens of thousands of lives if not more. 
I thought there was a different thread for this kind of "stuff".  

I thought there was a different thread for this kind of "stuff".  

It is all part of the same game.  Silence and destroy.  It does not make much difference whether it is Trump, his supporters, or young children.  It is all about power, control and creating this chaos for the totalitarian elitists.  I probably should go lighter on the minions who do not even realize the path they are being lead down. 

It is all part of the same game.  Silence and destroy.  It does not make much difference whether it is Trump, his supporters, or young children.
Silence? They all could come in and speak to the committee on national television and tell their side fo the story. They all refuse. Most of us want the opposite of silence from every single one of them

Silence? They all could come in and speak to the committee on national television and tell their side fo the story. They all refuse. Most of us want the opposite of silence from every single one of them

Really...is that why Pelosi rejected Jim Jordan and Jim Banks and then put only two token anti-Trump Republicans on.  It was a charade from day 1. 

Users who are viewing this thread