What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 11th overall pick*** redraft (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
Cross-posting from the 12th pick thread; let's talk more about the thought process than specific players. Although that discussion value as well.

Just found out yesterday I'll be drafting 11th in my main league.

I tend to let the draft come to me, I try not to be too set about which order I'm going to fill out the lineup. Drafts are fluid. If, for example, I've got a hero RB and the league is continuing to make a run on RBs, I pivot to the value at WR. I'll stay there until I think there's greater value somewhere else. I don't panic and think "OMG who's going to be my RB2?" because I'm comfortable taking pass catchers (full PPR league) and backups in later rounds. Players emerge all the time, this year won't be any different than every other year. If I draft 6 RBs, and 5 of them have specific roles or are a handcuff, I'll find an RB2 and maybe even my Flex in that group. Much rather do that then take a shaky RB2 in the Dead Zone.

That said, I tend to like mocks where I have taken one of each rather than RB/RB or WR/WR. But it really depends on what has been happening with the picks before me.

I'm OK waiting on QB, but not TE. Personal preference, some people like to stream TEs, I like to stream QBs.

Seen a lot of mocks where only 2-3 TEs are off the board by the time the 35/38 turn comes around. "OK, can probably wait on that." Then there's a run and all the guys I've targeted are gone by the time I get to 59/61. But those are mocks where people are not drafting the same as they will when it's for real. Pretty sure I can spend the first four picks (11]/14, 35/38) on RB-WR, and get the TE I want at 59/62. If I wait past then I'll be taking a bottom quartile TE1 which I really don't want. Then maybe QB at 83/86 - but if there is still great value out there, I don't mind punting to 107/110.

I guess I do have a loose game plan going in. But like Mike Tyson said, everybody has plan until they get smacked in the mouth. That's my rough outline but I'm really driven by where I see positional value. I like to stay flexible and not worry about my Week 1 lineup. The team will build itself if I just stick with my convictions about value based drafting.

Thoughts?

I’ve done much better drafting at 11-12 than at the top. I would rather have a top 2-3 WR and a elite RE with those picks. I would look at someone like the Ravens TE and any one of those elite WR’s. If you can tier good, it really helps to decide on the ends.

1.11 - Mixon, if he falls. If not, your choice of Diggs or Adams
2.2 - Diggs or Adams if they are still there. If not, Travis Kelce.
3.11 - Here is where you can use the 12 spot guys roster to your advantage.

3.11 - Here is where you can use the 12 spot guys roster to your advantage.

This is why I love the #11 spot.

The 12 in my league is a guy I know well and have played with 10+ years. Not likely to be surprised by his picks after I make mine.

Just finished from the 11 spot this weekend. The roster construction is funky so I will only list out the first handful of picks.

0.5ppr

QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE

1.11 Mixon. Thought about Kamara, but believe there was a shot for him in the second. He went 1.12, followed by Diggs

2.02 Deebo. Felt early but he was the best on my board for this scoring system. Jefferson, Cupp, Chase, Adams, and Diggs already gone. Lamb went a few picks after but I like Deebo more.

3.11 Pittman. Debated taking Higgins but it was close. Higgins and DJM went right after

4.02 Waller. I really didn’t like this pick, but thought I would have enough options at RB in 5.

5.11 Dillon. Was hoping that a few more options would be here but satisfied overall.

6.02 Kyler. This is an incredibly QB friendly point system. Was considering holding out for a Lance type but happy with Kyler here. 6th QB off board

7.11 Edmonds. At this point I started shooting for upside picks and I’m above market on Edmonds.

8.02 Hopkins. We have $100 weekly payouts for high point, so thought this was a cheap stack

Upside picks from here out (again this is an odd roster requirement, with incredibly shallow benches)

So end result for starting lineup

Kyler

Mixon
Dillon

Deebo
Pittman
Hopkins (I have some upside fill-ins like Toney and Elijah Moore to hold me over)

Waller

I know this is reaching but the idea of starting a team with Saquon and Kamara is pretty tempting for me. There is downside but combo of talent, receiving skills and opportunity is massive. They both have a clear realistic outcome as the #1 scoring RB in fantasy for the season.

I know this is reaching but the idea of starting a team with Saquon and Kamara is pretty tempting for me. There is downside but combo of talent, receiving skills and opportunity is massive. They both have a clear realistic outcome as the #1 scoring RB in fantasy for the season.
I have the 10 pick in redraft and am thinking the exact same thing. I’ve got Swift in that mix as well as I’m very high on him.

2 of those 3 would have me feeling pretty good on my own personal draft board.

I have the 10 pick in redraft and am thinking the exact same thing. I’ve got Swift in that mix as well as I’m very high on him.

2 of those 3 would have me feeling pretty good on my own personal draft board.
I like Swift a lot this year. He seems pretty safe but I don't think he gets anywhere near as many touches as Saquon or Kamara (assuming full healthy, no suspension)

I would hate to have Barkley fall to me at 1.11. I can’t find value in hurt RB’s early. I think its very important to have your 1st rounder stay healthy as much as anything. 1st round RB’s are too prone to getting hurt now. If I had to take a RB there, I’m probably looking at A Jones or Montgomery over Barkley. I know its not the popular take, but I’m a big believer in It.

I would hate to have Barkley fall to me at 1.11. I can’t find value in hurt RB’s early. I think its very important to have your 1st rounder stay healthy as much as anything. 1st round RB’s are too prone to getting hurt now. If I had to take a RB there, I’m probably looking at A Jones or Montgomery over Barkley. I know its not the popular take, but I’m a big believer in It.
Montgomery got hurt last year.

I like Swift a lot this year. He seems pretty safe but I don't think he gets anywhere near as many touches as Saquon or Kamara (assuming full healthy, no suspension)
Yeah. He’s just kind of my “fortune favors the bold” pick this year. Not sure why, but just watching his highlights from last year has me saying he can take a huge leap and be a top 3 back.

I only play in one league and it’s not even PPR, so the only way I can own him if I believe this to be true is to reach a bit.

A lot has to happen for that to be true, but I think the talent is there, the O Line is improved. Heck, even some footballguys and on here in other threads are calling for the Lions to have 9 wins.

I haven’t watched Hard Knocks, so I have no bias there. (I know sometimes guys get a pump up the ADP from it).

Long story short. If I want him I have to reach for him at 1.11 or 2.2.

Montgomery got hurt last year.
As a Bears fan I should have remembered that.

I just don't get the bolded. Aren't all RB's prone to getting hurt now? I mean they don't know if they are first rounders or not and play differently to have more chances at getting hurt. Plus both Monty and Jones have had lengthy injuries in their history. I don't think they are any better injury wise than all the other RB's in that range.

I just don't get the bolded. Aren't all RB's prone to getting hurt now? I mean they don't know if they are first rounders or not and play differently to have more chances at getting hurt. Plus both Monty and Jones have had lengthy injuries in their history. I don't think they are any better injury wise than all the other RB's in that range.
Which may be better to draft WR/TE at 11. RB usage has definitely changed, thats for sure.

Yeah. He’s just kind of my “fortune favors the bold” pick this year. Not sure why, but just watching his highlights from last year has me saying he can take a huge leap and be a top 3 back.

I only play in one league and it’s not even PPR, so the only way I can own him if I believe this to be true is to reach a bit.

A lot has to happen for that to be true, but I think the talent is there, the O Line is improved. Heck, even some footballguys and on here in other threads are calling for the Lions to have 9 wins.

I haven’t watched Hard Knocks, so I have no bias there. (I know sometimes guys get a pump up the ADP from it).

Long story short. If I want him I have to reach for him at 1.11 or 2.2.
Sometimes you just have to take your guy. I don't think Swift is even a reach at 11. I just don't think he will get a massive workload. I liken his usage to Aaron Jones.

Funny you mention Hard Knocks because I think the takeaway from the last episode was a bit negative on Swift. The coaches were really talking him up and pushing him hard but Swift didn't seem to show much enthusiasm for it. The dynamic between him and the RB coach seemed a little off.

The coaches were really talking him up and pushing him hard but Swift didn't seem to show much enthusiasm for it. The dynamic between him and the RB coach seemed a little off.
I haven’t watched it. I draft tomorrow. Maybe I should!

I just really like my teams better at these late picks when I go RB/RB. Kelce is enticing, but I feel like my team is always hamstrung when going tight end early.

I don’t play PPR, so unless Jefferson falls to this spot, I really don’t love the others guys there, and feel the WRs at the 3/4 turn have a ton of potential. Pittman, etc.

For whatever reason if Jefferson does fall, my mind shifts to grabbing another WR instead of that second RB. Jefferson Adams/Diggs/maybe even Chase by doubt he’s there… sound like a fun start.

Probably one of the best years to be drafting late in the round. There's a drop off around 6 but 7-12 seems even

Users who are viewing this thread