What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Cincy Bengals Season Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Good season, fellas! :thumbup:

Brown has some serious decisions to make on Lewis and Dalton. I fear "first-round exit" is as far as these two will ever get.

1) marvin has made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, completely turning over the roster in the process. He ain't going anywhere, nor should he.

2) Dalton's only in his 2nd year. A little early to be calling his career over.

More thoughts later, but there should be some good players available at that #37 pick we got for QuitGuy3

-QG

Jermaine Gresham just dropped another pass as you read this sentence.

Forgive me, this is going to be kind of all over the place...

The offense failed the defense big time. Defense was pretty well on point for most of the game, but spent waaaay too much time on the field. Can't afford to give away first downs by dropping catchable balls. Dalton is struggling and so is the Oline. I really think losing Sanu hurt the offense bad. My biggest beef with Marvin is not noticing that the line got worse the moment he put Cook back in 4 weeks ago. Should have rolled with the hot hand, they were working well together with Robinson in there. I don't like screwing with their chemistry like that. They had success running the ball, didn't call nearly enough runs IMO. Not sure if Gruden has coached his way out of HC chances or not. Also not sure if losing him is good or bad anymore.

Defense played pretty well. 4 DTD in the last 4 games. Asking this Defense to do way too much.

Guess we can start looking at mock drafts.

I agree. The OL regressed when Cook returned. I don't think he was 100% and should have been kept on IR. WR depth was lacking late in the year. Cutting Binns was dumb. The D was solid, but Maulaluga has regressed. Secondary should get a healthy Kirkpatrick next year and they need a safety in draft. A change of pace RB should be a priority. I would try to keep Josh Brown at kicker.

I think Zimmer leaving is more likely than Gruden, and that would really hurt.

Congrats on a good season, Bengals fans. That team has some really nice peices in place and they should be good for years to come.

Unfortunately, it is hard to see Dalton taking this team past the first round of the playoffs. Has he ever had a big game against a really good team?

Unfortunately, it is hard to see Dalton taking this team past the first round of the playoffs. Has he ever had a big game against a really good team?
I dunno. I think he's pretty good. Being a Ravens fan, I know from "our QB is limited". Shore up that O line and get a better RB, and I think Dalton magically becomes a better QB. I think it's amazing how fast the Bengals have flipped their roster from Palmer/Benson/criminals to what they have now.

ya, dalton just doesnt look like a very capable qb. he regularly misses green downfield and this game was no exception with 4 occasions qualifying. he also looked awful in the pocket unwilling to stand in and make a play or wait for something to develop.

I dunno. I think he's pretty good. Being a Ravens fan, I know from "our QB is limited". Shore up that O line and get a better RB, and I think Dalton magically becomes a better QB. I think it's amazing how fast the Bengals have flipped their roster from Palmer/Benson/criminals to what they have now.
It's really a pretty good Oline. My biggest concern with Dalton is that he constantly seems to feel pressure that isn't there. He ducks his head down and looks to escape when he has a pocket and misses guys open downfield. This obviously makes the OL looks worse than it is in pass pro. This showed up quite a bit in this game.It really was a pretty bad game for everyone across the board. Hall stepped up with the pick6, but if the Texans punch in a couple of goal line chances we would be talking a lot differently about how the defense played. They really struggled to get off the field on 3rd downs all day.Gresham, wow. I'm going to try to not overreact, but man that was one of the worst performances I have seen from one guy. His drop after drop compared to what the Texans did to our LBs was really the difference in the game.The only good news is that the Steelers could be losing players and getting older, the Ravens are losing Lewis, and the Bengals have Atkins/Dunlap/AJGreen and more to build around. Overall, we clearly didn't accomplish our goals this year, but that is mainly because the expectations have been raised and that is a good thing.

Gresham and Maualuga could be released for all I care. They have both failed to live up to expectations. Gresham has all the physical skills, but he drops waaay too many balls. Maualuga has to lead the league in being late to the play. Get Burfict in the middle. Rey is a liability.

'notdarkyet said:
Gresham and Maualuga could be released for all I care. They have both failed to live up to expectations. Gresham has all the physical skills, but he drops waaay too many balls. Maualuga has to lead the league in being late to the play. Get Burfict in the middle. Rey is a liability.
Ya, Rey is a FA and likely wont even get a phone call from the Bengals IMO. We have to do something at LB though. We are likely stuck with Gresham, but I wouldn't be too shocked if Charles or a rookie took his starting job. I hope for his sake JG was injured the 2nd half the year. Severe regression.

Cincinnati will only go as far as Dalton takes them. He is bellow average at throwing the deep ball and it kills this team a lot of the time. If he could fine toon that up they could be elite IMO. Green is constantly getting behind Ds and he is rarely connected with.

I would love to see Palmer throwing deep balls to Green.
Yeah Carson never overthrew anybody :eyeroll:The dogpile on Dalton is comically ridiculous at this point. I love my Bengal Brothers and Sisters but this is crazy.-QG

Andy dalton is a bottom 16 qb and always will be. Good enough to start for a team. If they have weapons he can get them a winning record, but can't see him ever getting to conference championship with him at qb.

Andy dalton is a bottom 16 qb and always will be. Good enough to start for a team. If they have weapons he can get them a winning record, but can't see him ever getting to conference championship with him at qb.
ROFL. A QB who was thrown into the fire on Day 1 and in 2 years has taken his team to the playoffs both years. Yet there is no chance he could get better?There was no consistent 2nd option in the passing game all year and BJGE is simply not the answer at RB. Dalton is being judged overall far too much by this one game. Don't forget he's still a young player learning to be an NFL QB. He has far exceeded all expectations. Jesus.

As long as Dalton continues to suck on third downs, the Bengals offense will never reach anywhere close to its fullest potential. If he doesn't show marked improvement by next year, the Bengals really need to think about going in a new direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
'knowledge dropper said:
Let's give Dalton an explosive weapon at RB and some of the secondary receivers some time to develop before we bury him.
i dont see how adding those players will help dalton hit the wide open passes to aj green that he consistently misses.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/bengals-sign-aaron-maybin/
Aaron Maybin was a major bust as a first-round draft pick, but he’s not done in the NFL just yet.The Bengals have announced that they signed Maybin, a 2009 first-round draft pick of the Bills who most recently played for the Jets.
Low risk, high reward. Zimmer seems to do well with these guys. Could somewhat of an insurance policy against losing Johnson to FA and will allow them to let the draft come to them. Not much to hate on here IMO.

Love the Mabin move. Not surprised by it at all. If he really is pure garbage and Zim can't get anything out of him we lose nothing. If not, we have found someone to boost us at one of our weakest positions.-QG

The Bengals intend to have Mabin be a SLB.-QG
Yea, probably makes more sense. Adriel Jeremiah with a nice pro bowl. Had the AFC not gotten their teeth kicked in, could have been MVP. Chris Collinsworth is annoying, he goes out of his way to disparage the Bengals. Was droning on for several minutes about Julio being the better of the two.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I guess now we know who the guy that still watches the Pro Bowl is.
Actually more than a couple tweets were out there whining about our QB when AJ was catching TDs in the Pro Bowl. Never mind that there's, ya know no blitzing or other forms of defense allowed in the game. :shrug: -QG

Users who are viewing this thread