What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2012 Senior Bowl Thread (3 Viewers)

My South Day Two notes

My South Day Two notes

Good afternoon folks. We're back from the South's final full pads practice on Day Three here in Mobile Alabama and I'll post notes on those later tonight. As I mentioned earlier today, I didn't make it to the earlier North practice today as i have been pretty sick all week.

From what I understand, I didn't miss much. I'll likely have an abbreviated commentary on it at some point, referring to the excellent work my comrades here in Mobile are doing.

Speaking of which, my plan had been to concentrate on the North defensive players this morning and since I was sick, that didn't happen. So I am throwing in some links by Jene Bramel, fellow Footballguy, who is writing Defensive analysis for the New York Times' Fifth Down Blog. Here is the Day One column, which has both offensive and defensive notes in it. While I also have some Day Two notes from the South squad, here are Jene's Day Two Notes at the NYT as well. It's got both North and South squad notes. Jene is incredibly sharp so you can bet if he saw it, it happened.

You can also head to the 'Shark Pool' at Footballguys.com for some Senior Bowl discussion in this thread as well.

On to my notes then.

By now you've heard that this Quinton Coples kid from UNC is pretty good. When Jene Bramel was saying that Coples won something like 99% of his battles, he wasn't kidding. Big, physical and aggressive he was constantly in the backfield. The North quarterbacks had better not be hesitant or they will find themselves crushed pretty frequently. Coples plays a bit high for most people's liking but showed me a lot of different moves throughout the afternoon. If you stop him one way, he'll beat you another. He's impressive. There have been some reports that he disappeared on occasion and was underwhelming the first two days.

Maybe they lost track of him because he was in the backfield so swiftly.

Coples alternated wreaking havoc with Courtney Upshaw, the Alabama defensive lineman. Upshaw and Coples spent a lot of time meeting in the backfield at almost the same time, missing a chance to do that only when South Carolina lineman Melvin Ingram stepped in for one of them.

Upshaw frequently got lower than his opponent and always had leverage and power over them.

I really enjoyed watching Dwight Bentley, the small school defensive back from Louisiana-Lafayette. Bentley had one beautiful interception where he showed stellar concentration on a ball which (here's a theme you'll notice later) Texas A&M receiver Jeff Fuller's hands. He frequently jumped routes and more than once was a millisecond away from another interception.

Bentley is one aggressive son of a gun. I'm going to have to dig up some footage of him as soon as I am back in New York because I need to know if this guy always plays like this or if he was trying to prove a point. Whatever it was, I liked it. Bentley was always on his receiver Tuesday, rarely got shook off and also showed a very physical style of play on some routes which clearly rattled the guys he was covering.

Most of the South secondary played aggressively on Tuesday, something that to me came a bit from the Skins' coaching staff. They were on their guys constantly, both with praise and criticism, but their enthusiasm and energy translated to a crisper-and more aggressive-practice in my opinion.

For some guys, like Janoris Jenkins, the combination of great teaching and fired up enthusiasm have helped deliver an outstanding week. Jenkins may have been booted from the Florida Gators for two marijuana-related arrests in about three months but came across contrite and honest about his choices in interviews.

The time he has spent at Northern Alabama not only gave him (in my opinion) a much needed wake up call to grow up, but gave him some time to improve his coverage and ball skills. While he did get beat long a few times on Tuesday, he often was right on his receiver, making life difficult (occasionally impossible) for him.

Jenkins has shown enough talent that many teams will probably give him a pass on some extraordinarily

stupid decisions. He's defenitely done nothing but help himself in Mobile.

Stepping back to the trench warfare for a second, Melvin Ingram may get overshadowed by Coples and Upshaw, but he did great work on Tuesday as well. He finds ways to penetrate on pass rush and was good in run defense as well.

As I've said before, it's tough to fully evealuate defensive players (and running backs) because they aren't allowed to finish a tackle or fully lay into a hit. So for all the defensive players, the game is critical because that's the time they can really show everything they can do.

Offensively, I feel like I got a lot more out of the practice than I did for the North practices. I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating-the pace and the situations the coaching staff creates makes player evaluation much easier.

As with the North, the quarterbacks aren't really that terribly impressive. Some people have really liked Nick Foles from Arizona but I felt like he was pretty average. He has a nice short ball but that's about it and had more than a few worm burners throughout the day. He overthrew a few long routes by quite a margin, a problem virtually all the quarterbacks on both sides had (which continued into Day Three).

San Diego State's Ryan Lindley was a bit scattershot throughout practice, throwing a nice ball on the money long, but then throwing another way behind his target. Lindley is consistently inconsistent just like that. A poor throw for every good one he makes. That's a real problem.

The best of the three-of all six quarterbacks really-is Brandon Weeden from Oklahoma State. The age thing (he's 28) is a concern but one thing we talked about several over and over while we ate ribs was the fact that in this league, many teams don't have a window of more than 5-6 years. A team who needs a very solid, calm quarterback who can step in when injuries hit (like they did for the Texans) will look at Weeden as an inexpensive back-up who has the experiance to step in and play well in high pressure situations.

Weeden throws a nice ball for the most part, and isn't afraid of zipping it into tight spots between coverages. 'Gunslinger' is a good title for him. He will throw a pass wherever he wants-sometimes even when Brett Favre would cringe and check down.

Now, this is the sort of thing he'll have to do a little less at the next level but he's got such a short memory when it comes to mistakes that if he throws a bad ball, he shakes it off and will go right back to the well if the opportunity arises and he thinks it makes sense.

Jeff Fuller is the wide receiver most people are watching closest. The TExas A&M wide receiver has a lot of problems holding onto the ball. He never looked comfortable, often allowing the ball to come to his body, when he wasn't trying to snatch it with one hand becuase he didn't have his body in good position to make a catch. He rarely used his size-which at 6'4, 217 lbs is considerable-to box out a defender and gets pushed around far too much. I don't know if it is nerves or if he's just over-matched but he was disappointing all Tuesday.

Arizona WR Juron Criner stodd out quite a bit on Tuesday, showing great skills running routes and very nice hands as well. On one beautiful catch, he ran an outstanding route, shook off his coverage and made an incredible catch on a pass that was well behind him and wide. Several times he showed some nice extension on balls thrown too wide or long.

Before we shift to running backs, I want to talk to one the South has shifted to wide receiver. Florida's Chris Rainey is way too small to take the pounding of a NFL season of carries. The Redskins have seen his speed, quickness and incredibly receiving skills though, and wisely moved him to wide receiver to take advantage of what he can do.

Rainey is incredibly smooth in his acceleration and goes from a light jog to sprinting without a hitch. That suddeness catches defenders off guard and more than once he was able to get seperation this week because he was past the corner or safety before they realized it.

When the coverage gets chippy, Rainey doesn't blanch and fights through jams pretty effectively (more on that for the Day Three notes). Keep an eye on him-he could be a better version of Dexter McCluster.

Also, Rainey told one reporter here that he intends to run a 4.1 at the Combine. Ballsy. I like it.

Running back-wise, I like what I have seen from Baylor's Terrance Ganaway. Ganaway shows great power on his runs and can catch the ball effectively as well. He needs to cut upfield faster on those receptions, but can definitely add that to his game.

Mississippi State's Vick Ballard has had moments, but I find him dancing a bit too much behind the line though sometimes that was because there was nowhere to go. He did show some good vision on a few runs, as well as some burst through the hole.

That's it for now. I'll try to post my wednesday notes tonight before bed or at least before bed on Thursday.

Thanks again to Aaron and Corey for making sure I got taken care of for the credential. I hope you are enjoying the coverage and I will probably have some video to share-some media night stuff-next week.

it's amazing how different people can have different opinions after watching the same thing. Seen one site praise Fuller while another dogged him. He wasn't the only one receiving various opinions...

Senior Bowl Roster announcement: Nebraska's Alfonzo Dennard is out (hip flexor). He'll be relaced by Josh Norman of Coastal Carolina.

Arizona WR Criner quieting critics at Senior Bowl

NFL Draft Blog

by Rob Rang

MOBILE, Ala -- Arizona wide receiver Juron Criner saw his stock slip before his senior season even began amid concerns about family and personal health issues.

While those issues will still need to be investigated fully by NFL teams, the playmaking skills that he demonstrated throughout an record-breaking career with the Wildcats have helped him stand out this week for the South Team at the Senior Bowl.

Though I still have reservations about Criner's straight-line speed, he's shown enough in that category to eat up the cushion against off-man coverage supplied by a cornerback group for the South that is as strong as any position playing in the 2012 Senior Bowl. Criner runs precise routes and has excellent body control to adjust to the ball while it is in flight. He demonstrated this in beating North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins, my 21st overall rated prospect in the 2012 draft on a deep ball midway through Wednesday's practice.

Criner's ability to track the ball and make big plays haven't ever been the question. After all, he caught 75 passes for 956 yards and 11 touchdowns in just 12 games as a senior and this was a drop-off from the year before when he earned All-American honors with 82 catches for 1,233 yards and 11 scores. Though he certainly doesn't possess the big play speed of Arkansas' Joe Adams or Houston's Patrick Edwards, he's frankly been a more reliable target this week than either of the other two big possession receivers NFLDraftScout.com currently rates ahead of him -- North Carolina's Dwight Jones and Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller.

I spoke to a high-ranking team official who recently met with Criner to get a better gauge as to the level of concern he, personally, had with Criner's off-field issues.

"I'm not concerned at all," the official said. "That stuff was overblown by the media. The coaches there [Arizona] say he is a good kid. He's gone through some tough stuff but I don't know of anything that would cause his stock to be impacted by it."

Ranking the Senior Bowl’s Top 10 prospects

Wes Bunting

After three days of practice in Mobile Alabama, the NFP ranks the Senior Bowl’s top prospects for the upcoming NFL draft and breaks down which NFL teams are good fits for each.

1. DE Quinton Coples: North Carolina (6-6, 285)

Possesses the ideal build for a defensive lineman and the game really comes easy to him. He showcases the ability to overpower on contact, be sudden laterally and uses his length well to shed. If he can keep his motor running on high, looks like a top-five caliber talent.

NFL Fits…

Bears

Seahawks

Jaguars

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-7, 320)

Looks the part of an NFL left tackle. He showcases good length, moves his feet well through contact and exhibits “plus’ range toward the edge for his size. At times gets himself into trouble “catching” defenders at the point, but has the skill set to mature into a good starting NFL left tackle.

NFL Fits…

Chiefs

Bills

Lions

3. DE Courtney Upshaw: Alabama (6-2, 265)

A physical, compact pass rusher who turns speed into power well off the edge and can overwhelm on contact. Plus, has the versatility to play in both a 34 and 43 front at the next level.

NFL Fits…

Bears

Cowboys

Chiefs

4. CB Janoris Jenkins: North Alabama (5-10, 182)

He was simply the most impressive cover man down here this week. Jenkins displays natural fluidity when asked to turn and run, stays low out of his breaks and is a bear to separate from on all levels of the field. Looks like an NFL starter early on in the NFL.

NFL Fits…

Lions

Bengals

Patriots

5. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)

Glenn had some struggles this week at OT. However, when lined-up inside at guard he was downright dominant. He showcased good natural quickness off the ball, was able to extend his arms and control blockers with ease through contact. Looks like a first round caliber guard prospect to me.

NFL Fits…

Steelers

Cowboys

Cardinals

6. DE Melvin Ingram: South Carolina (6-2, 276)

He’s an impressive pass rusher who can get after the QB in a number of ways. Plus, he’s versatile, as he can be effective from a number of spots and will likely get looks from both 34 and 43 teams.

NFL Fits…

Eagles

Chargers

Packers

7. CB Brandon Boykin: Georgia (5-10, 183)

Despite his lack of ideal height, he’s physical off the line, can turn and run, and did a better job as the week went on staying lower when trying to re-direct. He’s a competitor who loves to get into the face of opposing receivers and was a tough guy to separate from all week.

NFL Fits…

Ravens

Browns

Broncos

8. DT Brandon Thompson: Clemson (6-2, 310)

He demonstrated the first step to consistently gain leverage at the point working the bull rush, kept his pad level down and displayed the ability to shed through contact. He’s got a slight wiggle laterally as well, but is more of a one-gap guy only who can create penetration inside as either a 43 or 34 guy.

NFL Fits…

Packers

Broncos

Panthers

9. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)

Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed guy, but there aren't many negatives to his game. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.

NFL Fits…

Bengals

Jets

Buccaneers

10. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)

His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But, there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a starter early in his NFL career. Looks like a solid second round type value to me.

NFL Fits…

Redskins

Dolphins

Browns

Senior Bowl Dish: Brandon Weeden solidifies draft status

Russ Lande Sporting News

MOBILE, ALA.—On the final day of padded practice, the level of play was at its highest and the elite players played their best. However, two players were injured—Patrick Edwards (WR, Houston) pulled a hamstring, and Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska) suffered a hip flexor injury and will miss the game. Here are the players who impressed, and those who struggled:

Players who helped themselves (in order of most impressive performances):

1. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State, 6-3, 219, 5.00 (South Squad).

Weeden saved his best day for the final padded practice. He displayed outstanding arm strength, making great throws with excellent accuracy. He showed excellent touch on a fade route into the end zone and the ability to squeeze passes between defenders. It was clear from this week of practice that Weeden was the best quarterback in Mobile and has legit first-round talent.

2. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State, 6-2, 209, 4.90 (North Squad)

Cousins showed that he has strong fundamental techniques, passing mechanics, footwork and ball-handling skills for the position. He has the arm strength and the touch to make accurate throws to all three levels of the defense. In the 7-on-7 period, he made an accurate, touch throw to slot receiver T.J. Graham on a seam route, just over the outstretched arm of the linebacker and in front of the safety.

3. DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio State, 6-1, 209, 4.45 (North Squad)

Posey has the best combination of size, speed, break-point quickness, hands and route-running ability of the receivers. He displayed quick and strong hands to defeat a cornerback’s jam and release quickly off the line of scrimmage during the one-on-one period. He has the ability to work on the outside as well as in the slot in any offensive system. He has all of the physical and athletic skills to be highly effective working the underneath, intermediate and even deep routes.

4. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall, 6’3, 265, 4.65 (North Squad)

Curry had a huge day, excelling not just in 1-on-1s and team drills, but on the combo block drill as well. Blockers struggled with his burst off the ball and he was able to consistently knock his man off balance with violent hand usage. He was also better setting the edge against the run and was unblockable when he lined up inside at defensive tackle.

5. Lennon Creer, RB, Louisiana Tech, 6-1, 215, 4.50 (South Squad)

After a good week at the East-West Shrine game, Creer was brought in to replace injured Clemson fullback Chad Diehl. He showed a great burst and can get to the edge. He has a good wiggle with solid lateral agility and has shown that he is not afraid to initiate contact. During 7-on-7 drills, he looked natural as a receiver as he ran crisp routes and got upfield quickly after the catch.

6. Brad Smelley, TE, Alabama, 6-1, 233, 4.65 (South Squad)

Smelley is clearly the most impressive player at this position on either team. He explodes out of his stance, into his routes and coming out of his breaks. He consistently beat safeties and linebackers throughout practice. He also showed the natural ability to track and adjust to the ball in the air with soft hands. He showed a strong lower base and excellent competitiveness as a run blocker. His versatility to align all over the formation only increases his draft value as a pro prospect.

Players who hurt themselves (in order of least impressive performances):

1. Kevin Zeitler, OL, Wisconsin, 6-3, 315, 5.40 (North Squad)

Zeitler again spent time at both guard and center, but was a huge disappointment, particularly when playing in space. He struggled to stay over his feet as he was caught numerous times stopping his feet and reaching, which caused him to lose his balance and end up on the ground. He also had issues with some of the stronger DTs in team drills, as both Washington’s Alameda Ta’Amu and UConn’s Kendall Reyes were able to establish leverage against him and toss him off the point of attack.

2. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska, 6-0, 203, 4.55 (North Squad)

During the morning practice, Dennard continued to struggle to match up in man coverage and on several occasions gave up too much ground to Iowa WR Marvin McNutt, giving him easy catches. During 1-on-1s, he tended to lose his feet and at times fell in transition. Throughout the day, he did not show a proper pedal, which hurt his ability to turn and run with receivers in space. When jamming at the line, he has a violent punch, but too often had bad placement or missed, and Posey took advantage of this and ran by him downfield after a whiff.

3. Audie Cole, LB, North Carolina State, 6-4, 248, 4.75 (North Squad)

Although aggressive to the point of attack, Cole showed poor instincts against the run and on multiple occasions attacked the wrong gap. He looked like a straight line athlete as he struggled to change directions in space. His biggest struggles were in coverage because of his tightness in transition and his limited ball skills. He played both inside and outside linebacker this week, but based on his practice play, he may be limited to the inside in the pros.

4. Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M, 6-4, 217, 4.65 (South Squad)

Fuller struggled for the third day in a row from an athletic standpoint. He failed to create any separation from corners and consistently struggled with body control. He showed extremely stiff hips, which caused him to struggle creating natural separation out of his breaks. He was unable to bring in several balls cleanly and had too many drops on easy balls.

5. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State, 6-5, 308, 5.20 (South Squad)

Although he did an adequate job on inside runs, Sanders was once again a huge disappointment in pass-blocking situations. In team and 1-on-1 drills, he got high and on his heels off the snap, which allowed aggressive bull-rushers to knock him backward. Melvin Ingram and Quinton Coples beat him repeatedly not just with power moves, but with quickness on the edge, as well as change-of-direction moves back inside.

6. Gerell Robinson, WR, Arizona State, 6-3, 223, 4.65 (South Squad)

Robinson has great size, but shows below-average athletic ability, play speed, and separation quickness for the position at the next level. He is a slow-twitch athlete with no explosiveness in his movements. He constantly takes false steps in his release off the line of scrimmage and looks to push off from the corner coming out of his breaks.

'loose circuits said:
it's amazing how different people can have different opinions after watching the same thing. Seen one site praise Fuller while another dogged him. He wasn't the only one receiving various opinions...
Same thing with quick from app state. Some people say he's looked good, others say he looked bad

'loose circuits said:
Same thing with quick from app state. Some people say he's looked good, others say he looked bad
It's just practice. I'll wait and see how they play at 110% in the game instead of the 75% they probably put in in practices. They're not even allowed to hit.How many NFL-ers "practiced" and then came up inactive come gameday? I don't think these guys are giving much effort in practices. Dwight Jones an example, just going through the motions many said.

'loose circuits said:
It's just practice. I'll wait and see how they play at 110% in the game instead of the 75% they probably put in in practices. They're not even allowed to hit.How many NFL-ers "practiced" and then came up inactive come gameday? I don't think these guys are giving much effort in practices. Dwight Jones an example, just going through the motions many said.
this isn't 'just practice' It's a huge job interview with NFL scouts, coaches, etc... watching every movement.

Mike Adams would be a mediocre left tackle (maybe) and horrendous at left tackle. No idea what scouts are seeing. Against speed rushers with an ounce of get-up and he's toast. Decent run blocker, but pass blocking is non existent. Hell, Ohio St had to scrap the pass 3 drives in vs. Illinois in large part because Adams couldn't stop Mercilus. Made him look stupid. Game tape, scouts?

Senior Bowl RECAP with me and Sigmund Bloom:

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2012/Footballguys-Audible-2012-Vol12a.mp3

In This Episode: Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom discuss the future prospects of the skill position players from the 2012 Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL. Topics Include: RB Doug Martin has an impressive showing, how good can QB Brandon Weeden be, a disappointing week for WR Jeff Fuller, plus more!

enjoy! :thumbup:

subscribe to The Audible on Itunes, it's free!

Follow The Audible on Twitter!

I'll never believe the Rainey hype. Can't break tackles and really doesn't have a lot of moves. Just a really fast guy. Takes more than speed in the NFL.

I'll never believe the Rainey hype. Can't break tackles and really doesn't have a lot of moves. Just a really fast guy. Takes more than speed in the NFL.
I think he's being looked at as a 3rd down back/slot receiver/kick returner. He also showed a knack for blocking kicks/punts in college, although that's harder to do at the NFL level. He's definitely no feature back.

'shader said:
I agree. He had all that speed at UF and never really did much with it. The guy lacks football skills, has a history of terrible choices off the field and seems to always have some nagging injury. I am not buying it.

I'll have some recap stuff early this coming week but I apparently caught something fluish that became something viral and has knocked my ### out for two days. So I'm a bit behind.

Boise State's Martin, Ohio State's Herron stand out in backfield

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Published: Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:54 p.m.

Updated: Jan. 26, 2012 at 02:40 a.m.

The third day of practice at the Senior Bowl typically provides scouts with an opportunity to finally see prospects at their best. Players from both squads are finally comfortable in their new surroundings, and their gradual mastery of the playbook allows them to play at game-like speed in drills.

With an opportunity to finally see prospects perform free of the nerves and anxiety that hinders some of their games, here are some observations from the third day of workouts in Mobile:

» Boise State RB Doug Martin has created quite a buzz in scouting circles with his performance this week. He has impressed evaluators with his versatility and toughness as a playmaker in the backfield. An AFC college scouting director compared him to Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice, and envisions him blossoming into a productive feature back in a zone-based scheme. In watching Martin during team drills, his balance, body control and burst stand out. He has a knack for slithering through cracks and flashes surprising power at the end of runs.

» Boise State DE Shea McClellin is drawing comparisons to Senior Bowl alum Brooks Reed from scouts in attendance. An AFC South personnel man spoke at length about the similarities between their respective games and how McClellin could make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher. He went on to suggest that he is one of the toughest players on either squad, and his superb intangibles will help him enjoy a long career as a starter. When I look at his game, I see a high-motor pass rusher with sneaky explosiveness and burst. He surprises blockers with his "get off" and his relentlessness makes him difficult to contain.

» Ohio State RB Noah "Boom" Herron is another player generating some momentum. He has impressed several RB coaches with his combination of speed, quickness and agility, and one NFC North offensive assistant cited him as the top runner in the game. I love his gritty running style, but he has been most impressive as a receiver out of the backfield. He catches the ball well with his hands, and shows surprising polish as a route runner in space. Herron will be an ideal fit in an offense that features running backs prominently in the passing game.

» Virginia DE Cam Johnson has flown under the radar for most of the season, but he has certainly opened some eyes in Mobile. He is one of the most physically gifted players in attendance, and his impressive skill set should make him a productive NFL pass rusher. In breaking down his game, I was impressed with his first-step quickness and closing burst. He has the ability to turn speed into power, and flashes a series of rush moves that allow him to counter blockers' tactics on short sets. Johnson also plays with an energy and relentlessness that will produce garbage sacks on sheer effort. Although there are some whispers about Johnson's character, his on-field performance makes him a solid Day 2 prospect.

» California WR Marvin Jones is the most polished receiver on the North squad according to one of the offensive assistants working with the team. He flashes quickness getting in and out of cuts, and does a good job of separating from defenders out of his break. He also shows strong hands and concentration snagging balls in traffic. His combination of ball skills and route running makes him an ideal candidate to move into the slot in multiple receiver sets.

» Georgia guard Cordy Glenn looks like a "can't-miss prospect" as an interior blocker. His size, strength and power allows him to hold his own against powerful defensive tackles, but he also displays the agility to shadow finesse rushers in tight quarters. Glenn's athleticism will certainly prompt some teams to entertain the idea of playing him at offensive tackle, but the move outside would lead to isolated matchups against speed rushers. While Glenn appears capable of doing an adequate job at the position, the best chance for him to maximize his potential appears to be at offensive guard.

» Texas A&M DT Tony Jerod-Eddie displays outstanding strength and power as a run defender. He creates a new line of scrimmage as a low-leverage player, and his ability to create penetration snuffs out running plays in the backfield. In closely studying his play during 9-on-7 drills, I loved his hand usage and quickness disengaging from blockers. His natural instincts as a run defender is certainly impressive, and teams coveting aggressive run defenders should spend time studying Jerod-Eddie's performance at practices this week.

As Senior Bowl practice winds down, some players stand out

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Published: Jan. 27, 2012 at 05:14 a.m.

Updated: Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:33 p.m.

The fourth day of Senior Bowl practice was moved inside on Thursday due to severe weather conditions. Although the walkthrough provided little in the way of evaluation, it gave me plenty of time to reflect on some of my observations from the week:

» North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins is the most talented defensive back on either squad. He has displayed exceptional quickness, movement and instincts in team drills, and was nearly impossible to shake in one-on-ones. His ability to maintain proper positioning on the receiver downfield reflects his discipline in coverage, but Jenkins also shows an intuitive feel for jumping routes in critical situations. His combination of confidence, playmaking and toughness are coveted traits in potential No. 1 corners, and Jenkins certainly earns high marks for holding his own against some of the elite receivers in the country. Although his character rates as a serious concern to decision makers, Jenkins' game-changing skills could lead a team to gamble on his talent early in the draft.

» Boise State DE Billy Wynn has first-round talent, but his inconsistent motor could lead to a dramatic drop on draft day. According to an AFC college scouting director, Wynn was not the hardest worker on or off the field and his suspect habits make him one of the draft's biggest question marks. This week, Wynn has flashed big-time rush ability with quickness and power. He is capable of bursting around on speed rushes, but also shows the ability to turn speed into power in a bull rush. Wynn still has time to salvage his high-round status on boards across the league, but he needs to bring the effort and energy to the field this weekend.

» Nevada LB James Michael Johnson has earned rave reviews for his performance on and off the field this week. One NFC general manager said his was one of the most impressive interviews in their meetings, and his natural leadership skills are ideal for his position. On the field, he has been equally impressive, displaying sound instincts and awareness. His ability to quickly diagnose plays enables him to play faster than his counterparts, and he is a big hitter in the hole. If his game performance is anything like his play in practice, Johnson could enjoy a strong rise up the charts.

» Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard left scouts with more questions than answers with his disappointing play this week. Regarded as a potential first-round pick prior to the week, Dennard struggled in coverage. He didn't look comfortable playing man-to-man from depth, and his inexperience with "off" technique leads to questions about his ability in a zone-based system. Scouts are also concerned about Dennard's top-end speed after watching him give up deep balls in press coverage. He was unable to run stride for stride with speedsters, which makes it critical for him to win at the line of scrimmage with his physicality. (Dennard eventually pulled out of Saturday's game with a hip flexor injury.) With less than a month to prepare for the combine, Dennard must tighten up his technique before his big day in front of scouts.

» Arizona WR Juron Criner was a late addition to the North's roster, but he has been one of the better receivers in attendance. He's had a few acrobatic catches this week, and displayed better movement than I saw on tape. While I'm not ready to proclaim Criner a potential lead receiver, I could envision him thriving as a No. 2 guy in a West Coast system that places a premium on receivers with size, speed and running skills.

» The evolution of the pro passing game is forcing scouts to rethink their desired traits in safety prospects. Rather than looking for old-school, strong safety types adept at defending the run, evaluators are seeking rangy playmakers with the ability to cover tight ends in space. The increased emphasis on the pass has several teams considering playing with four cornerback-type athletes in the secondary. This is forcing more teams to seriously consider tall, athletic cornerbacks as potential safeties to defend the new wave of tight ends taking the league by storm.

Senior Bowl All-Practice Teams

Posted on: January 28, 2012 1:35 pm

NFL Draft Blog

by Rob Rang

The Senior Bowl is scheduled to begin at 4 pm eastern time and you can bet there will be plenty of NFL scouts who will be watching the game.

Not nearly as many will be watching the game, itself, however, as took in the practices throughout the week. Quite frankly, the Senior Bowl is like any other all-star game in football or other sport, the players participating in it are largely decided based on popularity rather than talent.

It remains to be seen which players will help their stock during the game, itself.

Here are the players from the offensive units on the North and South squads making my All-Practice Team.

QB: Kirk Cousins, Michigan State -- Accurate, poised and athletic, Cousins could enjoy a late Andy Dalton-like rise up draft boards this spring.

RB: Doug Martin, Boise State -- Quick, powerful and performing well as a pass blocker and receiver, Martin's strong week places thrusts him into the conversation to be the No. 2 running back drafted behind Alabama's Trent Richardson.

FB: Brad Smelley, Alabama -- Is more of an H-back than a traditional human pile-driving lead blocker. Reliable hands. Consistent effort.

TE: Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette -- Athletic receiver hybrid that some teams will envision as a poor man's Jimmy Graham.

WR: Marvin Jones, California -- May have boosted his stock more than any other player this week. Good size, routes and caught everything.

WR: Joe Adams, Arkansas -- Narrowly beat out Arizona's Juron Criner but speed kills... and Adams certainly has speed.

OT: Mike Adams, Ohio State -- More inconsistent than I'd like but was able to handle some of the game's best due to his length, athleticism.

OG: Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin -- Again, a bit inconsistent but mostly during one on one drills. During scrimmages, Zeitler played well.

OC: Ben Jones, Georgia -- Not flashy, but a tough matchup for the South's defensive tackles all week long.

OG: Tony Bergstrom, Utah -- Got beat early on but improved throughout the week. Solid performance from a player many were unfamiliar with.

OT: Mitchell Schwartz, California -- Like Bergstrom, struggled a bit early but improved throughout the week. Even saw some time inside at OC when injuries forced the North squad to shufle their linemen. Projects best as a RT.

And the defensive players:

DE: Quinton Coples, North Carolina -- Unquestionably the most talented player in this game. Has been unblockable, at times.

DT: Mike Martin, Michigan -- Possesses great strength in the hole and a relentless that coaches will love.

DT: Kendall Reyes, Connecticut -- Possesses a better combination of athleticism and strength than some of the more hyped DTs in attendance.

DE: Courtney Upshaw, Alabama -- Solidified his ranking as my No. 1 rated senior prospect in the 2012 draft. Powerful, versatile, instinctive.

OLB: Shea McClellin, Boise State -- Saw a lot of time at weakside linebacker and really impressed... not just me, but scouts, Mike Singletary...

ILB: Audie Cole, NC State -- The biggest ILB here and moved as well as most of the smaller ones.

OLB: Lavonte David, Nebraska -- So fluid that some teams will look at him as a SS convert. Athletic, instinctive and a terrific open-field tackler.

CB: Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama -- Beaten on occasion, but his agility, speed make him the elite senior cornerback in the 2012 draft.

S: George Iloka, Boise State -- Big, athletic and instinctive. Made an impressive interception Tuesday...

S: Antonio Allen, South Carolina -- Demonstrated some fluidity as well as a willingness to make some big hits.

CB: Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Lafayette -- Few players helped themselves more than this late addition. Proved he belonged.

WRs steal the thunder, boost stock in Senior Bowl

NFL Draft Blog

by Rob Rang

Posted on: January 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Edited on: January 29, 2012 1:15 pm

As usual, the quarterbacks generated most of the hype throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl. But during the game Saturday it was their receivers who stole the spotlight as the North defeated the South, 23-13.

Arkansas wide receiver Joe Adams shrugged off a fumble in the first quarter to catch six passes for 116 yards for the South, demonstrating the elusiveness and pure speed that helped him return four punts for touchdowns this season, earning the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year award. For his efforts Adams was named the Senior Bowl's "Outstanding Player" for the South squad.

Arizona's Juron Criner, also of the South, was quiet early in the game but connected with college teammate, quarterback Nick Foles, to the tune of four catches for 50 yards and the South's only touchdown, a 20-yarder with 12:55 left in the game. Criner finished with six catches for 77 yards.

Those receivers managed to stand out despite lackluster play by the quarterbacks. Just as he was throughout the week of practice, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, for the North, was the most impressive quarterback in the game.

He completed only five of 11 passes overall, with a touchdown and an interception. However, that one touchdown pass, a 41-yarder to Arizona State's Gerrell Robinson with 11:44 left in the third quarter, gave the North a 23-13 lead and enough cushion to hold on for a victory.

MVP honors for the game went to North running back Isaiah Pead, who was also Offensive Player of the Year for Cincinnati in the Big East. In the game, Pead collected 31 on the ground and 98 yards on punt two punt returns, including a 60-yarder that was the highlight of the first half.

Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden, the most consistent of the South team's quarterbacks throughout the practice week was the worst of the six passers Saturday, completing nearly as many passes to the defense (two interceptions) as he did to South receivers (five completions) for just 56 yards.

Other Senior Bowl standouts:

--Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina: Undeniably the most talented player in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, Coples continued his dominant week of practice with an MVP-caliber performance in the game. Coples, a shade under 6-6 and 281 pounds, was a consistent threat off the edge and used his long arms and obvious upper body strength to rag-doll pass blockers on his way to the quarterback. Perhaps the most impressive play of the game from Coples, however, came as a run defender. He shook off a block from Iowa State right tackle Kelechi Osemele and with one arm stopped the momentum of running back Isaiah Pead and threw him to the ground for a two-yard loss on 3rd and goal. If Coples played with the same intensity throughout his senior season that he did throughout the week in Mobile, he might have been the easy choice as the top defensive prospect in the 2012 draft.

--Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati: The game's MVP was easily the most explosive running back in this. He demonstrated his unique straight-line speed and agility by accelerating through holes and making defenders miss as a running back and punt returner. Despite taking on return duties late in his senior season, Pead showed good vision and courage in attacking seams as he averaged 49 yards on the two opportunities. He demonstrated not only athleticism, but also the willingness to cut back inside against the grain and finish his runs.

--Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State: Despite playing with a little less consistency that scouts would like, the 6-7, 323 pound Adams impressed throughout the week of practice with his ability to maintain squarely in front of speed rushers and play with a reliable base against bull rushes. Adams played with much better consistency Saturday, controlling his opponent throughout the contest and distancing himself as the elite offensive line prospect in the Senior Bowl. Adams surrendered a sack in the 3rd quarter to Alabama's Courtney Upshaw but held up well initially to my top-rated senior prospect and only allowed the coverage sack on Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson after protecting for several seconds.

--Doug Martin, RB, Boise State: While Martin wasn't able to break free for the splashy plays that his North teammate Pead did, it was the former Bronco running back who was the best running back in Mobile throughout the week of practice and he followed that up with an impressive game. Martin showed good burst to and through the hole, as well as the vision and acceleration to gain yardage in chunks as a running back and kick returner. Having impressed scouts with his obvious dedication to the weight room by sporting a chiseled physique during Monday's weigh-in, Martin showcased that his attention to details isn't just limited to lifting weights. He provided excellent effort blocking downfield on a 41-yard touchdown catch by Robinson.

--Bobby Wagner, ILB, Utah State: Like Martin, Wagner initially caught the attention of NFL scouts by showcasing a powerful build on his 6-0, 241 pound frame during Monday's weigh-in. With defenders asked not to take ball-carriers to the ground throughout the week of practice, Wagner wasn't able to wow scouts with what he does best -- tackle -- until the game. He certainly did on Saturday, anticipating and closing quickly on ball-carriers and then wrapping up cleanly to tie with South Carolina safety Antonio Allen to lead the game with seven tackles. Wagner also proved his playmaking ability, recording a tackle for loss and an interception of Weeden in the first quarter.

Senior Bowl notebook: Thursday

Posted Jan. 26, 2012 @ 6:24 p.m. ET

By PFW staff

Updated 6:24 p.m. ET on Thursday, Jan. 26

MOBILE, Ala. — Here are the sights and sounds from an improvised practice day for the Senior Bowl squads:

South practice observations from senior editor Mike Wilkening

The North had the misfortunate of starting practice at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, stopping practice when the rain picked up, busing to the Mobile Convention Center and holding a an abbreviated practice inside.

The South, meanwhile, moved its practice inside well in advance and held an 11-on-11 practice sans pads and hitting. There was a crisp pace to the proceedings. Arizona WR Juron Criner tumbled to the ground after a catch, but he was no worse for wear, and there were no incidents of note.

The teams will have separate hour-long walk-throughs on Friday morning at Ladd-Peebles.

Notes

• Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins replaced Alabama's Marquis Maze on the roster. Jenkins will wear No. 88.

• The South's passing game looked fairly sharp Thursday. Criner caught the ball well, and Arkansas' Joe Adams looked quick on the concrete surface. It would have been fun to watch Adams on the AstroTurf fields of old.

• Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said after Thursday's practice that the line is "probably the strength" of the South defense, with Alabama DE Courtney Ingram, South Carolina DE Melvin Ingram, North Carolina DE Quinton Couples and Clemson DL Brandon Thompson the players he mentioned.

North practice notes from associate editor Kevin Fishbain

Thunderstorms and high winds sent the Senior Bowl practices inside the Mobile Convention Center on Thursday. The teams essentially had walk-throughs in a multipurpose room.

With that in mind, there wasn't an opportunity for any players to really strut their stuff in our eyes. It gave them a chance to practice some plays and situations. The North team's offense went through a few two-minute drills.

The conditions didn't help Thursday's newcomers, Coastal Carolina CB Josh Norman and Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins, who didn't have a chance to get up to speed in pads for their respective coaching staffs.

Luckily for Norman, Jenkins and other players who were hoping to make an impression on Thursday, most of the NFL scouts have left Mobile, as Thursday's practice is generally a little lighter — though, not this light. Packers GM Ted Thompson and a small Green Bay contingent were present in the morning when the North team began practicing outside.

With the practices wrapped up, at least from a scouting perspective, here are a few things I'm looking forward to in Saturday's game. It should be noted that the game is a small part of the evaluation process, but Christian Ponder was the game MVP last year and it worked well for his draft stock.

1. Clemson DT Brandon Thompson and Michigan DT Mike Martin — Thompson has been one of the players getting high marks during practice. He will go against some tough interior linemen on the North team, like Ohio State's Michael Brewster. It can be hard for an interior D-lineman to make a big impression in limited time, but I'm curious to see how he looks in the game situation. Same goes with Martin, who has looked pretty good in his battles with Brewster and could get some chances against Georgia's Cordy Glenn, who has been considered the top O-lineman here.

2. Who is this year's Ponder among the quarterback crop? — The quarterbacks have very limited opportunities in the game to make a big play, and each one will want to make a positive impression. Brandon Weeden separated himself as the top signalcaller here, and Kellen Moore seemed to have separated himself in the opposite direction. Can Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, Russell Wilson or Nick Foles turn heads with some big throws on Saturday?

3. Can a wide receiver make a name for himself? — None of the wideouts has really wowed me this week. Marvin Jones out of California looked pretty good on Tuesday, but the group has been underwhelming, often getting beat by the cornerbacks. In the game, there is no press coverage, so the wide receivers will have to show off their open-field skills to make a good impression.

4. Boise State RB Doug Martin — Martin has looked the best among the running backs here, and that's a lofty title considering there is some pretty good talent here with Vick Ballard, Chris Polk and Chris Rainey present, though Rainey mainly has lined up at receiver and has been very good there. Martin might get some chances to return kickoffs as well and in a draft short on running backs after Trent Richardson, he could continue improving his stock.

North practice observations from senior editor Mike Wilkening

Notre Dame S Harrison Smith came to Mobile wanting to show he could play both safety spots.

"I just wanted to prove that I'm versatile, that I can do a lot of things, (that) I can really play any kind of safety you want me to play," he said after Thursday's North practice.

The 6-1¾, 212-pound Smith told PFW that he believes clubs "originally" viewed him as a strong safety, but "they've kind of seen that I can do a few different things" this week. Smith, it should be noted, is PFW's top-ranked senior free safety.

Smith said he has worked to improve his tackling, something he said he "used to be technically horrible at."

"I think now I'm a very sure tackler and I always wrap up and strike with my chest," Smith said. "So that's something I take pride in."

A sure-tackling safety that can cover a lot of ground quickly is quite valuable in today's game, as my colleague Kevin Fishbain wrote Wednesday. Smith's play will be one of the story lines I'll be watching in Saturday's game.

Here's four other prospects I'll be watching closely:

North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins — The potential first-round pick has been open about the off-field problems that got him dismissed from Florida. I'm eager to see how he fares in game action.

Boise State QB Kellen Moore — Interested to see the quality of his downfield throws. I am keeping an open mind on him.

Washington RB Chris Polk — Eager to see his production against a strong South defensive line. Will he show the speed he desperately wants to display for clubs? This is a big game for him.

South Carolina DE Melvin Ingram — High-motor, quick, strong. Fun to watch, tough to block.

Risers and sliders from Senior Bowl

Tony Pauline

Posted: Saturday January 28, 2012 11:54PM ; Updated: Sunday January 29, 2012 12:32PM

The scouts and coaches left Mobile, Ala., on Thursday. The fans and campers headed home Saturday night after the North dominated the South 23-13 in the 2012 Senior Bowl. Several of the prospects we mentioned during the practices stood out during the contest, while a few who were quiet during the week also had nice performances. Here are the risers and sliders from the annual showcase for senior NFL prospects.

Risers

Isaiah Pead/RB/Cincinnati: At the start of Wednesday's practice it was mentioned how good Pead looked returning punts during special teams drills. Pead translated those skills from the practice field onto the game field and was named MVP of the Senior Bowl. Pead returned two punts for 60 and 38 yards, for an average of 49 yards. Pead looked like a veteran bringing the punts back, as he did a terrific job setting up his returns on both occasions. On offense he also had several nice runs, bursting through the open lanes and making defenders miss in the open field. Pead's solid week of practice coupled with the special teams skill showed during the game undoubtedly boosted his draft stock.

Kirk Cousins/QB/Michigan State: Cousins completed 5 of 11 passes for 115 yards, yet the stats tell a fraction of the story. Cousins made all the NFL throws from the pocket, displaying great speed on the ball while also putting touch on passes when required. His timing and accuracy was right on the mark as Cousins always gave his targets a good opportunity to make the reception. When he did miss on throws more times than not it was due to receiver error. It was important for Cousins to have a good game, as scouts questioned his judgment under center. At the Senior Bowl, decision-making was right on the money.

Mike Adams/T/Ohio State: During the week the consensus of scouts was the South squad had the best defensive ends of either roster. Adams was able to shut them down all game. On several occasions he stopped pass-rushing terrors Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram dead in their tracks. Upshaw eventually sacked the passer, though the fault was not placed on Adams shoulders. His ability to stop quick, explosive pass-rushers in the game will give scouts even more to think about when they decide where in Round 1 one the talented tackle should be selected.

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Quinton Coples/DL/North Carolina: Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power. On several occasions he had Kelechi Osemele flailing in an attempt to slow him down. When he could not get to the quarterback, Coples got his long arms up to swat away passes. When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front. The problem for scouts is determining how often Coples is willing to play at his highest level.

Mitchell Schwartz/T/California: Schwartz was the only offensive tackle to consistently shut down Coples during the game. He used great fundamentals and football smarts to keep the dominant defensive lineman at bay whenever they faced off. That's something scouts will take into consideration when they give Schwartz a final draft grade.

Vinny Curry/DE/Marshall: Curry continues to impress scouts with his ability to get penetration across the line of scrimmage. He was constantly in the backfield and his quarterback pressures in the first quarter caused a lot of problems for the South. On one occasion Curry bull rushed the much larger Zebrie Sanders into the pocket which resulted in a loss of yardage. Curry has significantly improved his draft stock this week and a good combine workout could secure him a spot in the late part of Round 1.

Doug Martin/RB/Boise State: Martin had several nice runs during the game, but its the little things he did well that made him stand out. In the first quarter Martin did a terrific job picking up pass protection assignments and knocked Melvin Ingram from the action on one occasion. Later in the half his downfield block allowed Arizona State receiver Gerrell Robinson to waltz into the end zone. Even before the game scouts stamped Martin as an early second-round choice.

Nigel Bradham/OLB/Florida State: Bradham was fast and athletic all game long, running down opponents from all directions of the field. He was terrific in pursuit and Bradham made several outstanding plays in open space. Bradham showed skill in pass defense and was on top of his game covering tight ends and running backs.

Sliders

Russell Wilson/QB/Wisconsin: Wilson was terrific when he lined up in the shotgun and was able to move outside the pocket and throw on the move. When he was asked to play in an NFL style offense it was a completely different story. From the pocket Wilson sprayed his passes around the field and missed an easy scoring opportunity early in the game when his throw was wide of the mark. He showed little in the way of pocket presence or the ability to sense the rush. Wilson is a tremendous athlete, but he needs a lot of work before he'll be an NFL-ready passer.

Donnie Fletcher/CB/Boston College: Fletcher was picked on most of the night and was constantly chasing receivers around the field. Opponents were getting behind Fletcher and he was giving up easy passes in underneath coverage. He also missed a big tackle on a screen pass which resulted in a long gain for the south.

Zebrie Sanders/T/Florida State: Sanders' tough week of practice continued through the game. He was constantly off balance, rarely moved opponents off the ball run blocking and was pushed back into the pocket on several occasions. Sanders also displayed poor footwork in pass protection and little ability to slide out and protect the edge.

Risers and sliders from Senior Bowl

Tony Pauline

Posted: Saturday January 28, 2012 11:54PM ; Updated: Sunday January 29, 2012 12:32PM

Risers

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Quinton Coples/DL/North Carolina: Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power. On several occasions he had Kelechi Osemele flailing in an attempt to slow him down. When he could not get to the quarterback, Coples got his long arms up to swat away passes. When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front. The problem for scouts is determining how often Coples is willing to play at his highest level.
For a person that doesn't follow college football, I hadn't heard much about Ta'amu and he was the surprise of the game for me. He moves very quickly for such a big man. I am left wondering if he could have Pat Williams value as a run stuffer in the NFL. I expect his draft stock will rise sharply.As for Coples, I will be schocked if he makes it past the Jags.

Users who are viewing this thread