What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 SF Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Congrats you guys. Your team did a great job of completely flipping the series over the last three games.

Question that has been bugging me for the entirety of the series: You have a great home crowd, but why has Beltran been booed out of the building at every plate appearance? He was a deadline rental on a team that collapsed last season, I get that, but the man hit .323 and 7 HR in his 44 games in a Giants uniform. Am I missing something here? Mad that he didn't re-sign? Did the Giants make a legit effort to bring him back? It's not like the Cards broke the bank for him.

Congrats you guys. Your team did a great job of completely flipping the series over the last three games.Question that has been bugging me for the entirety of the series: You have a great home crowd, but why has Beltran been booed out of the building at every plate appearance? He was a deadline rental on a team that collapsed last season, I get that, but the man hit .323 and 7 HR in his 44 games in a Giants uniform. Am I missing something here? Mad that he didn't re-sign? Did the Giants make a legit effort to bring him back? It's not like the Cards broke the bank for him.
IIRC he spent the bulk of his time in SF injured, but played pretty well when he was in the lineup. I think the Giants made an effort to re-sign him, but don't know the details. Frankly, I don't understand booing him, it's probably just a bit of jealousy.

Congrats you guys. Your team did a great job of completely flipping the series over the last three games.Question that has been bugging me for the entirety of the series: You have a great home crowd, but why has Beltran been booed out of the building at every plate appearance? He was a deadline rental on a team that collapsed last season, I get that, but the man hit .323 and 7 HR in his 44 games in a Giants uniform. Am I missing something here? Mad that he didn't re-sign? Did the Giants make a legit effort to bring him back? It's not like the Cards broke the bank for him.
IIRC he spent the bulk of his time in SF injured, but played pretty well when he was in the lineup. I think the Giants made an effort to re-sign him, but don't know the details. Frankly, I don't understand booing him, it's probably just a bit of jealousy.
I didn't understand the booing. Beltran didn't antagonize anybody during his brief stay or when he left town. He got hurt but he's Carlos Beltran.I told Mrs. Eephus after the Holliday slide that the fans would have someone else to boo. That they did but they kept on Beltran.

You got to love that the one starting player outside of a pitcher between the 2010 and 2012 World Series teams is Buster Posey.

In 2 years how a team can have that much turnover and repeat is a tribute to the guy. I honestly believe he will achieve the

status of Mays and Bonds (minus steroids) by the end of his career.

You got to love that the one starting player outside of a pitcher between the 2010 and 2012 World Series teams is Buster Posey.

In 2 years how a team can have that much turnover and repeat is a tribute to the guy. I honestly believe he will achieve the

I've been critical of Sabean but his reworking of the lineup is pretty impressive.Farm system: Belt, Crawford, Sandoval, H. Sanchez

Trades for prospects: Scutaro, Pence

Trades for Major Leaguers: Pagan, Cabrera

Low cost FAs: Blanco, Arias, Theriot

He's done it without taking on any new long term contract commitments (I'm counting Cain as a holdover) and should have a lot of flexibility going forward when Huff, F. Sanchez, Zito and Lincecum come off the books. I'd love to have Zack Wheeler in the wings but that was a defensible move that just didn't work out.

I believe the ballpark debt service has about six more years to run so the end of that is in sight too.

'Eephus said:
'mr fancypants said:

I've been critical of Sabean but his reworking of the lineup is pretty impressive.Farm system: Belt, Crawford, Sandoval, H. Sanchez

Trades for prospects: Scutaro, Pence

Trades for Major Leaguers: Pagan, Cabrera

Low cost FAs: Blanco, Arias, Theriot

He's done it without taking on any new long term contract commitments (I'm counting Cain as a holdover) and should have a lot of flexibility going forward when Huff, F. Sanchez, Zito and Lincecum come off the books. I'd love to have Zack Wheeler in the wings but that was a defensible move that just didn't work out.

I believe the ballpark debt service has about six more years to run so the end of that is in sight too.
Interesting, Do you think Timmy's as good as gone when his contract expires?

Interesting, Do you think Timmy's as good as gone when his contract expires?
I'd personally like to see him have a great 2013 season to get back to the point where he gets a big, long-term deal from some other team.I don't want to see SF paying $40M for two pitchers in their 30s.

It took 3:30 to play Game 1 of the World Series, an 8 1/2-inning game. Game 7 of the Yankees-Pirates in the 1960 Series, won 10-9 by the Bucs on Bill Mazeroski’s ninth-inning homer — a 19-run, 24-hit, five-walk, nine-pitcher game — was played in 2:30.

The Giants were a very good club that played great when on the big stage. They out-executed their opponents throughout the playoffs. I don't think there's a single recipe for success in baseball; teams can win with dominant pitching or hitting. The Giants had neither. If you believe in plus numbers, their offense was better than their pitching. Their OPS+ of 107 led the NL but as any McCarver fan could tell you, they finished last in HRs. Their ERA+ was below league average. But the combination of offense, team defense, starting pitching and bullpen made them a tough matchup in a short series.

I don't know how important that "we played for each other" stuff in the grand scheme of things. If you don't have the players, you won't make it to the post-season. But they turned out to be more than the sum of their parts. They proved to be extremely resilient from the opening week of the season when they lost Brian Wilson. They dealt with an unsettled infield, an uncharacteristically shaky Lincecum, a bullpen by committee and the suspension of their second best position player. And there they are, champs again with a lineup that's almost entirely churned from 2010. They got playoff contributions from almost their entire 25 man roster including the unlikely rehabilitation of Barry William Zito. After accounting for a total of 3.8 WAR over his six seasons in SF, he pitched great in two of the biggest wins in the playoff run. He's always been a guy who's hard to boo. Anybody would have taken the same deal if offered. He's suffered stoically in his gilded cage; he's a solid citizen and good teammate by all accounts. I'm still counting the days until his contract expires but he's earned a special place in the hearts of Giants fans.

The Giants were a very good club that played great when on the big stage. They out-executed their opponents throughout the playoffs. I don't think there's a single recipe for success in baseball; teams can win with dominant pitching or hitting. The Giants had neither. If you believe in plus numbers, their offense was better than their pitching. Their OPS+ of 107 led the NL but as any McCarver fan could tell you, they finished last in HRs. Their ERA+ was below league average. But the combination of offense, team defense, starting pitching and bullpen made them a tough matchup in a short series.I don't know how important that "we played for each other" stuff in the grand scheme of things. If you don't have the players, you won't make it to the post-season. But they turned out to be more than the sum of their parts. They proved to be extremely resilient from the opening week of the season when they lost Brian Wilson. They dealt with an unsettled infield, an uncharacteristically shaky Lincecum, a bullpen by committee and the suspension of their second best position player. And there they are, champs again with a lineup that's almost entirely churned from 2010. They got playoff contributions from almost their entire 25 man roster including the unlikely rehabilitation of Barry William Zito. After accounting for a total of 3.8 WAR over his six seasons in SF, he pitched great in two of the biggest wins in the playoff run. He's always been a guy who's hard to boo. Anybody would have taken the same deal if offered. He's suffered stoically in his gilded cage; he's a solid citizen and good teammate by all accounts. I'm still counting the days until his contract expires but he's earned a special place in the hearts of Giants fans.
:goodposting: To have Zito go from not being on the 2010 WS roster, to having Timmy go as middle relief, to have Romo wear the beard in place of Wilson, who cried when he signed a 1.7 million contract because it was the most $$ he had ever seen in his life...Vogelsong...There are so many stories about this team that we can talk about. But Bochy is the glue. This team is far removed from the Bonds/Kent rivalry in the dugout, less the steroids too. This 2012 club is one for the Giants ages.

Very impressed by the Giants run, even if it knocked my team out. Congrats to this team and fan base on a well deserved championship.

Congratulations, Giants fans! You guys came on strong from August on and never looked back. Just kept getting better and better.

For those not enamored with Sabean, we Pirate fans would gladly trade you our GM, Neal Huntington, for yours. How about it?

Congratulations to the Giants!

Now, speaking as a Rangers fan, is there any chance that you don't re-sign Angel Pagan? Would love to see him replace Josh Hamilton in CF here.

Sabean and the organization have some tough decisions:

Pence: arbitration eligible with one year to go before free agency. He made $10.4M this season. I doubt they'll let him walk.

Pagan: Free agent. 31 years old and coming off a career year. Has been a ~5 WAR player two out of the past three years. I think he's gone if somebody offers him a big, multi-year deal. Gary Brown is probably a year away but is the CF heir apparent.

Scutaro: Free agent. Made $6M this year. Turns 37 tomorrow and there's always the chance his production falls off a cliff. If they can bring him back for two years, that should bridge the gap to Joe Panik.

Melky: :shrug:

Wilson: arbitration eligible. Made $8.5M. Possibly a non-tender candidate.

Affeldt: 33 year old free agent. Made $5M after the team executed their option. A LHP who can get righties out is a valuable commodity. He'll generate some interest but there's only so much you can pay for a reliever.

They're probably going to be in the $140M payroll range next year given their contract commitments. Zito, Cain and Lincecum will make over $63M alone. There's always a tendency toward sentimentality in the wake of a championship but the team has to avoid bad deals like the Huff extension after the 2010 title.

Sabean and the organization have some tough decisions:Pence: arbitration eligible with one year to go before free agency. He made $10.4M this season. I doubt they'll let him walk.Pagan: Free agent. 31 years old and coming off a career year. Has been a ~5 WAR player two out of the past three years. I think he's gone if somebody offers him a big, multi-year deal. Gary Brown is probably a year away but is the CF heir apparent.Scutaro: Free agent. Made $6M this year. Turns 37 tomorrow and there's always the chance his production falls off a cliff. If they can bring him back for two years, that should bridge the gap to Joe Panik. Melky: :shrug:Wilson: arbitration eligible. Made $8.5M. Possibly a non-tender candidate.Affeldt: 33 year old free agent. Made $5M after the team executed their option. A LHP who can get righties out is a valuable commodity. He'll generate some interest but there's only so much you can pay for a reliever.They're probably going to be in the $140M payroll range next year given their contract commitments. Zito, Cain and Lincecum will make over $63M alone. There's always a tendency toward sentimentality in the wake of a championship but the team has to avoid bad deals like the Huff extension after the 2010 title.
Pence is no doubt coming back. Agree on Pagan. Scutaro seems to be in line for an overpay but that's OK given the lack of other options. Can't see Melky coming back. Would like to see Wilson and Affeldt back on affordable deals. I'd hope that Wilson wouldn't be expensive; not sure how the arbitration process treats guys who missed a year with injury. He seems like the type that might come back to SF for less than he might get somewhere else.

Congratulations Giant Fans. I'm green with envy. Maybe 29 years will be how long I have to wait.

If the Giants offer arbitration to Wilson, their minimum offer has to be 80% of his 2012 compensation. I don't think $6.8M for a reliever coming off elbow surgery makes sense. The Royals are probably going to do the same with Joakim Soria.

Does this mean the Sabean honeymoon is back on?

Congratulations, Giants fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Counter-Revolution will not be a reverse revolution, but the reverse of a Revolution."

In a scene from the film "Moneyball," a half-dozen A's scouts sit around a table, tossing out opinions. With their haggard faces and old-school lingo, they are made to look like fools, a bunch of washed-up alcoholics whose time has passed.

What a dreadfully wrong number. In real life, those guys are baseball's lifeblood.

The Giants' world championship is a victory for John Barr, **** Tidrow, Bobby Evans, a cadre of sharp-eyed scouts and especially general manager Brian Sabean, who learned his trade in the Yankees' system and surrounds himself with people who don't merely know baseball, but feel it, deep inside. They all played the game, somewhere along the line, and if you throw a binder full of numbers on their desk, they don't quite get the point.

The beauty of baseball is that it can be dissected in a thousand ways, each an engaging enterprise in its own way. The stat-crazed sabermetricians, as they are called, invent specific methods of evaluation without needing to witness the action in person. Numbers, they believe, tell the entire story - and their approach is worshiped by thousands of fans and bloggers who wouldn't last five minutes in a ball-talk conversation with Tim Flannery, Mark Gardner or Ron Wotus.

The modern-day general manager bears no significant resemblance to Sabean, rather an especially sharp accountant who can draw up contracts, analyze a salary structure and study esoteric numbers with the best of them. It's a new breed of geeks, in essence. Privately, they scoff at the likes of Sabean - although, as far as we can tell, the Giants take home the rings.

The San Francisco model is based on visual evidence, not statistics, and it clearly works - but it will fail, miserably, in the hands of organizations cutting their scouting staffs and stocking computers. Those people wouldn't understand what the Giants saw in Gregor Blanco, a longtime disappointment, as he tore up the Venezuelan winter league. They wouldn't necessarily spot the massive heart inside Sergio Romo, or what Hunter Pence's relentless energy brings to a contending team. The Giants look at the face, the demeanor, the background, the ability to play one's best under suffocating pressure - all the components "Moneyball" lamely holds up to ridicule.

If you try calling Sabean a genius, he'll laugh in your face. Baseball is an enterprise of failure, both on and off the field, and it's a game of humility. He doesn't pretend to know everything, he'll gladly recount his misfired decisions over the years, and he knows these prideful days could unravel into a third-place finish next year. But he won't stop trusting his eyes. He'll finance the plane flights, rental cars, motel rooms and other staples of a scout's lonely existence. The Giants trade the numbers for humanity, as the howls of skepticism tone down to a whisper.

'thecatch said:
Say zito wins 15 again next year... Resign him?
The delta between Zito's 2013 option and buyout is $11M. He wasn't an $11M pitcher this year, much less a $19M one. His 15 wins are due to 4.8 run support in his starts.

How many guys on the World Series roster 2012 were on the ws roster in 2010?

Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner

Affeldt, Romo

Posey, Huff, Sandoval (barely played in 2010? Post season)

That's some crazy turnover for 2 world series wins in 3 years. Am I missing anyone?

How many guys on the World Series roster 2012 were on the ws roster in 2010?Cain, Lincecum, BumgarnerAffeldt, RomoPosey, Huff, Sandoval (barely played in 2010? Post season)That's some crazy turnover for 2 world series wins in 3 years. Am I missing anyone?
Casilla, Lopez & Mota

How many guys on the World Series roster 2012 were on the ws roster in 2010?Cain, Lincecum, BumgarnerAffeldt, RomoPosey, Huff, Sandoval (barely played in 2010? Post season)That's some crazy turnover for 2 world series wins in 3 years. Am I missing anyone?
Casilla, Lopez & Mota
14 different guys. That's crazy and impressive.
That's baseball in the 21st century. I counted only ten holdovers from the Rangers' 2010 WS club to their 2012 playoff roster:HollandLoweOgandoAndrusKinslerMorelandYoungCruzHamiltonMurphy

Casilla, Lopez & Mota
14 different guys. That's crazy and impressive.
That's baseball in the 21st century. I counted only ten holdovers from the Rangers' 2010 WS club to their 2012 playoff roster:HollandLoweOgandoAndrusKinslerMorelandYoungCruzHamiltonMurphy
True, but they haven't won anything.

Eephus

When is Buster due for his big payday and do you think he will reset the pay scale bar?

I'm still amazed Lincecum didn't bankroll more than he did when he first became eligible

for a pay increase. He had 2 Cy Young's at that point.

Eephus When is Buster due for his big payday and do you think he will reset the pay scale bar? I'm still amazed Lincecum didn't bankroll more than he did when he first became eligible for a pay increase. He had 2 Cy Young's at that point.
Lincecum was a Super Two and started getting paid in his first year of arbitration eligibility 2010. He's signed two separate two-year deals to cover his four arbitration years. The Giants have done a good job in avoiding arbitration hearings with their players.Posey is arbitration eligible for the first time this off-season. The team had tried to delay his Super Two status by delaying his call-up in 2010, which almost cost them the division that year. He's under team control through his age 29 season (2017). Hopefully, the Giants will be able to put together a long-term deal that buys out at least one of his free agent years.

Pence: arbitration eligible with one year to go before free agency. He made $10.4M this season. I doubt they'll let him walk. Invested too much to let them go

Pagan: Free agent. 31 years old and coming off a career year. Has been a ~5 WAR player two out of the past three years. I think he's gone if somebody offers him a big, multi-year deal. Gary Brown is probably a year away but is the CF heir apparent. 2 year contract at $5m per seems right

Scutaro: Free agent. Made $6M this year. Turns 37 tomorrow and there's always the chance his production falls off a cliff. If they can bring him back for two years, that should bridge the gap to Joe Panik. Another 2 year at $5-6m guy

Melky: :shrug: GONE

Wilson: arbitration eligible. Made $8.5M. Possibly a non-tender candidate. Agreed

Affeldt: 33 year old free agent. Made $5M after the team executed their option. A LHP who can get righties out is a valuable commodity. He'll generate some interest but there's only so much you can pay for a reliever. 2 yr $8m per

They're probably going to be in the $140M payroll range next year given their contract commitments. Zito, Cain and Lincecum will make over $63M alone. There's always a tendency toward sentimentality in the wake of a championship but the team has to avoid bad deals like the Huff extension after the 2010 title.

Pence: arbitration eligible with one year to go before free agency. He made $10.4M this season. I doubt they'll let him walk. Invested too much to let them go

Pagan: Free agent. 31 years old and coming off a career year. Has been a ~5 WAR player two out of the past three years. I think he's gone if somebody offers him a big, multi-year deal. Gary Brown is probably a year away but is the CF heir apparent. 2 year contract at $5m per seems right

Scutaro: Free agent. Made $6M this year. Turns 37 tomorrow and there's always the chance his production falls off a cliff. If they can bring him back for two years, that should bridge the gap to Joe Panik. Another 2 year at $5-6m guy

Wilson: arbitration eligible. Made $8.5M. Possibly a non-tender candidate. Agreed

Affeldt: 33 year old free agent. Made $5M after the team executed their option. A LHP who can get righties out is a valuable commodity. He'll generate some interest but there's only so much you can pay for a reliever. 2 yr $8m per

Agree on Pence and ScutaroI think you're way low on Pagan's value. There's a reasonable chance the Giants make him the $13M qualifying offer in order to get the compensation pick. If he accepts, it's a mild overpay which is partially offset by not having a long term commitment (and his hot Puerto Rican wife).

Affeldt is at the stage of his career where he's going to want three years. If some other team gives it to him, the Giants should take their chances with Lopez, Mijares and Josh Osich.

Nothing would surprise me with Wilson and Melky

Agree on Pence and ScutaroI think you're way low on Pagan's value. There's a reasonable chance the Giants make him the $13M qualifying offer in order to get the compensation pick. If he accepts, it's a mild overpay which is partially offset by not having a long term commitment (and his hot Puerto Rican wife).

Affeldt is at the stage of his career where he's going to want three years. If some other team gives it to him, the Giants should take their chances with Lopez, Mijares and Josh Osich.

They did not make the qualifying offer to Pagan. I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get something like 4 years/48 million somewhere - Rowand got 5 years/60 million as a comparison. I'm not sure I'd want him back at that rate, but hey, it's not my money.

They did not make the qualifying offer to Pagan. I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get something like 4 years/48 million somewhere - Rowand got 5 years/60 million as a comparison. I'm not sure I'd want him back at that rate, but hey, it's not my money.
I'm no genius but I don't understand the Pagan decision. If the Giants made the qualifying offer, there were two possible outcomes: (A) 1 year of Pagan at near market value or (B) an extra sandwich pick and ~$1.5M in extra draft slot budget. (B) seems like the more likely scenario.

'Eephus said:
'commisholio said:
'Eephus said:
'5Rings said:

I'm no genius but I don't understand the Pagan decision. If the Giants made the qualifying offer, there were two possible outcomes: (A) 1 year of Pagan at near market value or (B) an extra sandwich pick and ~$1.5M in extra draft slot budget. (B) seems like the more likely scenario.
There the old man goes again. Not even 48 hours removed from the parade and already questioning Sabean. :lol:

'Eephus said:
'commisholio said:
'Eephus said:
'5Rings said:

Maybe SF wants to try to sign Pagan long term. If Pagan rejects the qualifying offer there's a smaller chance he does sign long term... possibly (hurt feelings and all that)? But I don't know... A one year qualifying offer sounds like a pretty good bridge to Gary Brown in 2014.

'Eephus said:
'commisholio said:
'Eephus said:
'5Rings said:

Maybe SF wants to try to sign Pagan long term. If Pagan rejects the qualifying offer there's a smaller chance he does sign long term... possibly (hurt feelings and all that)? But I don't know... A one year qualifying offer sounds like a pretty good bridge to Gary Brown in 2014.
Seems like we should be concerned about the fact that Gary brown isn't any good.

Seems like we should be concerned about the fact that Gary brown isn't any good.
Brown doesn't project as a star but his age 23 season isn't unlike Angel Pagan's. Other than Brown's inexplicably bad base stealing percentages, I don't see any reason (yet) why he can't develop into a similar type of major leaguer.

Brown doesn't project as a star but his age 23 season isn't unlike Angel Pagan's. Other than Brown's inexplicably bad base stealing percentages, I don't see any reason (yet) why he can't develop into a similar type of major leaguer.
If he's their best option, so be it, but I don't think "the future Angel Pagan" is worth getting too excited about.

Users who are viewing this thread