What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 SF Giants Thread (2 Viewers)

Seems like we should be concerned about the fact that Gary brown isn't any good.
Brown doesn't project as a star but his age 23 season isn't unlike Angel Pagan's. Other than Brown's inexplicably bad base stealing percentages, I don't see any reason (yet) why he can't develop into a similar type of major leaguer.
If he's their best option, so be it, but I don't think "the future Angel Pagan" is worth getting too excited about.
A team could win a championship with an Angel Pagan type in center.

Eli Whiteside claimed on waivers by the Yankees, who have reassembled the feared combination with Chris Stewart used to patch a Posey-sized hole last year.

3/$18M for Affeldt to stay. It's a $1M/yr increase over his 2012 salary. It seems like a lot of money to pay for 60-70 IP but that's the reality of the current market for above average relievers--Brandon League made more in LA.

You've got an answer for everything, don't you?47% of the time it works every time.
About half the players will have better seasons in 2013 and about half will regress. That's not a bad thing, it's just a thing. If you can successfully predict which players will fall into each bucket, you'll have a leg up on your fantasy league. Projecting is an inexact science even for :nerd: like James and Silver. High BABIP, advanced age, small sample size, outlier seasons are all indicators. Posey's .368 BABIP probably isn't sustainable but at age 25, there's a realistic chance of a better season than 2012 sometime in the next five years.

Angel Pagan

$12M/$9M/$9M/$10M

They're paying Pagan based on what he did last year rather than what he's going to do four years for now. The best thing I can say is that salary inflation will probably make the $10M into a middle class wage by 2016. If you assume a 5% inflation rate, $10M in 2016 is equivalent of $7.7M today. 5% seems conservative to me but I couldn't find a real number to use.

If Brown develops, Pagan can slide over to a corner or 4th OF role and he'll be a slight overpay. Hopefully, Pagan can be good value for the first two years. Worst case, he's Rowand redux.

Angel Pagan

$12M/$9M/$9M/$10M

They're paying Pagan based on what he did last year rather than what he's going to do four years for now. The best thing I can say is that salary inflation will probably make the $10M into a middle class wage by 2016. If you assume a 5% inflation rate, $10M in 2016 is equivalent of $7.7M today. 5% seems conservative to me but I couldn't find a real number to use.

If Brown develops, Pagan can slide over to a corner or 4th OF role and he'll be a slight overpay. Hopefully, Pagan can be good value for the first two years. Worst case, he's Rowand redux.
Scutaro staying 3 years/20 Million

Trophy is coming to town tomorrow. I am :mellow: about it. 2 years ago, I stood in the rain for 3 hours to get my picture taken with the 2010 Trophy.Not sure if I will take the time off work to go over there

Key offseason issue #2Find another mediocre CF to replace Aaron Rowand.

The Kansas City Royals have traded outfielder Melky Cabrera to the San Francisco Giants for left-hander Jonathan Sanchez and another minor league pitcher.Sanchez was the Giants' best pitcher during the latter part of 2010, when they beat the Texas Rangers to win the World Series. But he was just 4-7 with a 4.26 ERA this season before missing the final month with a left ankle sprain.Cabrera hit a career-best .305 with 44 doubles, 18 homers and 87 RBIs in his first season with the Royals. By dealing him to San Francisco, Kansas City opens up a spot in its outfielder for hotshot prospect Lorenzo Cain, who hit .312 at Triple-A Omaha this season. The Royals also get left-hander Ryan Verdugo in the deal. He was 8-6 with a 4.35 ERA for Double-A Richmond this year.
Sabean hasn't quite grasped the whole "buy low, sell high" aspect of trading but then again, he's only been GM for 15 years.
Can we go back in time and have them reject that trade so Cain would still be in Omaha somewhere?

The Giants were a very good club that played great when on the big stage. They out-executed their opponents throughout the playoffs. I don't think there's a single recipe for success in baseball; teams can win with dominant pitching or hitting. The Giants had neither. If you believe in plus numbers, their offense was better than their pitching. Their OPS+ of 107 led the NL but as any McCarver fan could tell you, they finished last in HRs. Their ERA+ was below league average. But the combination of offense, team defense, starting pitching and bullpen made them a tough matchup in a short series.I don't know how important that "we played for each other" stuff in the grand scheme of things. If you don't have the players, you won't make it to the post-season. But they turned out to be more than the sum of their parts. They proved to be extremely resilient from the opening week of the season when they lost Brian Wilson. They dealt with an unsettled infield, an uncharacteristically shaky Lincecum, a bullpen by committee and the suspension of their second best position player. And there they are, champs again with a lineup that's almost entirely churned from 2010. They got playoff contributions from almost their entire 25 man roster including the unlikely rehabilitation of Barry William Zito. After accounting for a total of 3.8 WAR over his six seasons in SF, he pitched great in two of the biggest wins in the playoff run. He's always been a guy who's hard to boo. Anybody would have taken the same deal if offered. He's suffered stoically in his gilded cage; he's a solid citizen and good teammate by all accounts. I'm still counting the days until his contract expires but he's earned a special place in the hearts of Giants fans.
Four more big wins yet to come but I remembered this post - replace a few names here and there and it's the same story. Amazing the turnover they have had especially in SP and back again in the WS.

Users who are viewing this thread