What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 World Series Champs, Boston Red Sox*** (1 Viewer)

As I said, I've met the guy. He was very nice and was generous with his time and money. He sucked due to injury and life upheavals, He was stealing money, it's a good story to see him come out on top.

:banned:

As I said, I've met the guy. He was very nice and was generous with his time and money. He sucked due to injury and life upheavals, He was stealing money, it's a good story to see him come out on top.

:banned:
:thumbup: I was going purely off what I saw through media. I'll definitely defer to actually having met him :)

Michael Brown said:
southeastjerome said:
sporthenry said:
sad to see lackey blow up his arm. didn't look good at all.
Good riddance.
Oof.
In his defense, no one wanted Lackey around here. Show me someone who predicted he would pitch this well and I'll show you a liar.
Well if they ACTUALLY predicted it, then they wouldn't be a liar
That's what I am saying. No one predicted Lackey would do this, but there are always a few who come out of the woodwork and say they expected this in March. Lackey was a ringleader in the chicken and beer scandal and that was viewed as what was wrong with this team/organization. He also stunk on the field, so much of the criticism of him was merited. The only thing many people did not like about the Beckett/AGon to Dodgers trade is that we could not get them to take Lackey.

Michael Brown said:
southeastjerome said:
sporthenry said:
Good riddance.
Oof.
In his defense, no one wanted Lackey around here. Show me someone who predicted he would pitch this well and I'll show you a liar.
That's what I am saying. No one predicted Lackey would do this, but there are always a few who come out of the woodwork and say they expected this in March. Lackey was a ringleader in the chicken and beer scandal and that was viewed as what was wrong with this team/organization. He also stunk on the field, so much of the criticism of him was merited. The only thing many people did not like about the Beckett/AGon to Dodgers trade is that we could not get them to take Lackey.
How is him saying good riddance any different than Houston fans cheering Schaub getting injured? Beyond that, the fact he just pitched their biggest game of the year and won makes this not a very good look.

sporthenry said:
southeastjerome said:
Michael Brown said:
southeastjerome said:
sporthenry said:
Good riddance.
Oof.
How is him saying good riddance any different than Houston fans cheering Schaub getting injured? Beyond that, the fact he just pitched their biggest game of the year and won makes this not a very good look.
Fair point on the injured comment. I'm not saying everyone wanted him to be injured, that's certainly harsh. I'm saying everyone wanted him gone, which makes a lot of us Sox fans look foolish. No Sox fan wanted Lackey here due to reasons already mentioned. It was his own fault and he deserved the criticism. Just the same he deserves credit for coming into spring training in good shape and focused. My point is, the criticism at the time was well warranted (wishing injury is not) and praise for him now is well warranted. No one predicted the sox would win the world series (except for Mayor Menino) this year and the fact that Lackey was the guy on the bump to close it out was fitting as it made the worst to first turnaround full circle. Lackey was the poster boy of what was wrong and he worked his butt off to change that. If you like redemption stories, this is a good one.

Apparently the Sox are kicking the tires on Matt Kemp. Unless LA subsidizes a bunch, or takes Dempster back, can't see how he is of much interest.

Would love to see them sign Corey Hart to a 1 year, show what you got, deal. He can be 1B and 5th OF.

Have no idea where they are going with catcher. Maybe roll with Lavarnway and Ross? Been some chatter about going after Hanigan.

C - Ross/??

1B - Hart/Carp

2B - Pedroia

3B - Middlebrooks

SS - Boagerts

LF - Nava/Gomes

CF - Bradley

RF - Victorino

Leaves them short a utilty infieder and a backup center fielder.

2 years 32 million for Napoli to the Red Sox.

Red Sox obviously kind of shot themselves in the foot with their 3 for 39 contract last year going to the 1 year deal but I'll take this deal.

2 for $32M is big money for Napoli but in this market it is doable to keep the 1B spot occupied until they can develop or find a longterm solution at 1B.

I think nearly every team would gladly pay an extra million or two per year to keep the contract at 2 years.

I was actually hoping they went with Carp and some other random RH 1B (Hart, Morse, Konerko, etc), but I am fine with Napoli on a 2 year deal.

There is still tons of chatter about Kemp. I wonder if anything comes from it

2 years 32 million for Napoli to the Red Sox.

Red Sox obviously kind of shot themselves in the foot with their 3 for 39 contract last year going to the 1 year deal but I'll take this deal.

2 for $32M is big money for Napoli but in this market it is doable to keep the 1B spot occupied until they can develop or find a longterm solution

at 1B.
I don't see how they shot themselves in the foot at all. Yes, it is more money than the original deal but giving the fact that last year they didn't know about his condition it made total sense to drop to a one year deal. Now, they know the guy can play 1B and thrive in Boston. That is well worth the additional dollars they just paid out. Heck, I'm amazed they got a deal done without having to go 3 or even 4 years.

Red Sox doing very well this offseason.

Badenhop and Mujica are solid additions to bullpen. And Napoli fills the first base hole.

Nothing flashy, but all the moves should help the club with no long term contracts yet. Gives them a lot of flexibility in the coming years, with money available and an excellent farm system.

Did you know..... that Butch Hobson wore #51 in 1975?

http://www.redsoxdiehard.com/players/unifnums.html

I didn't. Wish I could find a picture of it.

They never issued #8 or #9 again after Yaz and Ted retired, even though there was a long gap between retirement and having their number retired. They also haven't issued #21 since Clemens left. Hmmm.

Denny Doyle & Boomer Scott went back and forth between #5 and #15. Lots of "memory lane" names on that page.

####. Now Napoli out with a broken or dislocated finger in the ninth of the Red Sox/White Sox game.

It's a sinking ship right now. But we still have 2013!

Watching the ring ceremony from this year again. Great stuff. Ortiz wearing his previous rings on a chain (I think) to go receive his current one was fantastic.

Love Ortiz. Really better PR than Canseco or Ramirez, I guess. Sometimes even alleged cheaters just wear their love of the game and city on their sleeve enough to overcome it. I'll never forget his ALCS MVP speech in 2004. Legend.

God, 2004. Just smiles all around. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread