What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on hoping that Jaylen Smith or Reggie Ragland falls to us? You know we're going LB, D line or O line in the first. Why not start hoping for a big talent who has a chance to fall?

Jaylen due to injury and Ragland due to who knows why.

If the Steelers believe Hunter Henry is the complete package ( I don't know if he is, and I don't pretend to know the FO's opinion on him), I can see him being the pick.

They drafted Bruner #1 in 1995 and Heath #1 in 2005. We didn't draft a blue chip TE in 2015 (sorry, Lyrical Jesse James) -- so by my math a TE in the first in 2016 is a DOUBLE LOCK OF THE CENTURY of the week. Maybe.

Steelers are are 10:1 odds to win it all next year, tied for second with Carolina and Seattle and behind New England (9:1).

Favorite to win the AFC at 9:2.

Apropos of nothing except I might put a little on both.
I saw somewhere else that they're 8:1 and tied with Seattle and NE. Carolina and Arizona were 14:1, same as Denver. It will all come down to injuries though. For the most part Denver and Carolina were healthy, same with Seattle (outside Marshawn who was already way past his prime).

If we don't lose any of our star players next year, we have a great shot. How about we only lose a 3rd CB or RB, or a 5th WR (Since every team has injuries)? We could use a bit of luck.

I'd prefer we draft a defensive back in the first round instead of a LB or lineman. Sometimes safeties fall, and I know nothing about this year's class. Any chance the top safety falls to us? That's the tie-in with Heath Miller. We got the #1 TE on the board because Heath was there in the mid-first. Maybe the same thing happens with the top safety. I am a huge Mike Mitchell and Will Allen hater. We need to firm up our back end [add your own yoga pants joke here].

pecorino said:
I'd prefer we draft a defensive back in the first round instead of a LB or lineman. Sometimes safeties fall, and I know nothing about this year's class. Any chance the top safety falls to us? That's the tie-in with Heath Miller. We got the #1 TE on the board because Heath was there in the mid-first. Maybe the same thing happens with the top safety. I am a huge Mike Mitchell and Will Allen hater. We need to firm up our back end [add your own yoga pants joke here].
There's only 1 first round safety, and he's not going to fall past the Ravens. The next best is probably Cravens, and he's most likely a high 2nd round grade. Reaching for him wouldn't be very Steelers-like. Things could change wildly based on the combine but that's where it stands now.

Most mock drafters are sending us Eli Apple or Kendall Fuller (Cornerbacks) who are typically graded at the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd. Not as much of a reach as Cravens.

Hunter Henry is the best TE in the draft and should be there when we pick (as things stand now). Some people think we might draft him, but from his game tape I was impressed but not wowed. I think he could fall into the 2nd round, but probably picked before us there. It's hard to judge college TEs because their stats usually aren't that great.

One of the reasons so many people are saying we'll go LB or Lineman is because there's a lot more talent there in the draft this year at lineman, and there's several really talented LBs that could fall to us for one reason or another.

Getting an amazing safety would be great, but this just isn't a good draft for that (unless we trade up to pick #5, right in front of the Ravens).

pecorino said:
There's only 1 first round safety, and he's not going to fall past the Ravens. The next best is probably Cravens, and he's most likely a high 2nd round grade. Reaching for him wouldn't be very Steelers-like. Things could change wildly based on the combine but that's where it stands now.

Most mock drafters are sending us Eli Apple or Kendall Fuller (Cornerbacks) who are typically graded at the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd. Not as much of a reach as Cravens.

Hunter Henry is the best TE in the draft and should be there when we pick (as things stand now). Some people think we might draft him, but from his game tape I was impressed but not wowed. I think he could fall into the 2nd round, but probably picked before us there. It's hard to judge college TEs because their stats usually aren't that great.

One of the reasons so many people are saying we'll go LB or Lineman is because there's a lot more talent there in the draft this year at lineman, and there's several really talented LBs that could fall to us for one reason or another.

Getting an amazing safety would be great, but this just isn't a good draft for that (unless we trade up to pick #5, right in front of the Ravens).
I'm not sure what I'd want if Jaylon Smith were to fall to #25. The guy is a top 5 talent, a special player. But because of his injury, he likely won't contribute anything this year. Next season and beyond, his best position is probably as a weakside 4-3 OLB, but I think he's so quick and talented that he can pretty much play anywhere. He could be the next Timmons for us, only I think he may have even more upside. Could theoretically play outside if he took time to develop some more pass rush moves, would be good as a pursuit MLB. He's not totally a round peg/round hole nor is he an immediate help to our defense. But what he would be is a top 5 talent sitting there at #25.

The more time goes on, the less I'm interested in drafting need. Draftees typically don't make a huge impact even if given a ton of snaps on this team and what may be a need now might not be one a year or two from now when this year's rookies are ready to contribute. I think I like the idea of going BPA a lot more than I used to (and I was always a quality over need advocate, moreso than many on this board.)

pecorino said:

I'm not sure what I'd want if Jaylon Smith were to fall to #25. The guy is a top 5 talent, a special player. But because of his injury, he likely won't contribute anything this year. Next season and beyond, his best position is probably as a weakside 4-3 OLB, but I think he's so quick and talented that he can pretty much play anywhere. He could be the next Timmons for us, only I think he may have even more upside. Could theoretically play outside if he took time to develop some more pass rush moves, would be good as a pursuit MLB. He's not totally a round peg/round hole nor is he an immediate help to our defense. But what he would be is a top 5 talent sitting there at #25.

The more time goes on, the less I'm interested in drafting need. Draftees typically don't make a huge impact even if given a ton of snaps on this team and what may be a need now might not be one a year or two from now when this year's rookies are ready to contribute. I think I like the idea of going BPA a lot more than I used to (and I was always a quality over need advocate, moreso than many on this board.)
I do wish we'd traded up a bit last year and picked Marcus Peters... That would have been BPA and a player of need too though.

When you are just one or two players away from legitimately vying for the ring, you go out and get those guys. A safety in free agency (where are you mr weddle?) is fine by me. But the insistence to ignore the DB need is getting old. BPA is fine if you've got the luxury. But not shoring up the defense isn't an option.

When you are just one or two players away from legitimately vying for the ring, you go out and get those guys. A safety in free agency (where are you mr weddle?) is fine by me. But the insistence to ignore the DB need is getting old. BPA is fine if you've got the luxury. But not shoring up the defense isn't an option.
I have no problem at all with taking a CB or S. I just think they shouldn't reach to fill a need. I'd rather have a player with Pro Bowl potential at a position that's more stacked now than a middling talent in the secondary. Rookies don't typically contribute very much on defense for us. I want an infusion of back end talent as much as anyone but our Super Bowl window is wide open right now. If they can get immediate contributors through free agency, I think they need to address their weaknesses that way in this instance, while compiling the best talent possible in the draft.

I have no problem at all with taking a CB or S. I just think they shouldn't reach to fill a need. I'd rather have a player with Pro Bowl potential at a position that's more stacked now than a middling talent in the secondary. Rookies don't typically contribute very much on defense for us. I want an infusion of back end talent as much as anyone but our Super Bowl window is wide open right now. If they can get immediate contributors through free agency, I think they need to address their weaknesses that way in this instance, while compiling the best talent possible in the draft.
Sounds good to me! Maybe add Gay, Sean Smith, Eric Weddle, Foster and Beachum as our FAs. We get Golson back as our slot corner and have Cockrell as our CB4 off the bench.

Then through the draft we can go D-line and linebacker to get backups at positions with less depth than we need.

Miller announces his retirement today.  One last time for an all-time great Steeler..

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH !

Miller announces his retirement today.  One last time for an all-time great Steeler..

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH !
One of my favorite players. Guy was a stud in college and the NFL and just showed up every day like a pro to do his job and did it well. 

This kind of surprised me but I guess I shouldn't have been.   I suppose Hunter Henry will be a popular choice for the Steelers in mocks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consummate professional. 10 year starter, did it all as a receiver and a blocker.  Lost 5 fumbles in 10 years, rarely dropped a pass.  A guy who was a first round pick that only made 1 Pro Bowl (and even that as a replacement) could conceivably be called a bust, but I defy anyone to find a single Steelers fan who thinks so.  Ultimate lunchpail guy and the quintessential Steeler.

Hurts but shouldn't be a surprise. The end was near the last few years, it hurts though.

In good news that I hope isn't fake:

https://lockerdome.com/thefakeespn/bengals-vontaze-burfict-says-a-steelers-fan-keeps-####ting-on-his-lawn

big surprise to me...was this known before today? never heard a word about it!
I had read some speculation that he could be cut to open cap space, but it seemed unlikely.  Steelers make decisions with their heads and not their hearts though, so it's possible that they told him he was going to be released and rather than trying to catch on somewhere else, he just decided to call it quits with his health intact.  He doesn't strike me as the type to piss away the money he's made so he'll probably move gracefully into his post-NFL career.

Consummate professional. 10 year starter, did it all as a receiver and a blocker.  Lost 5 fumbles in 10 years, rarely dropped a pass.  A guy who was a first round pick that only made 1 Pro Bowl (and even that as a replacement) could conceivably be called a bust, but I defy anyone to find a single Steelers fan who thinks so.  Ultimate lunchpail guy and the quintessential Steeler.
Yep in no way was Heath a bust and I would say without hesitation the best TE in Steelers history.

Supposedly his retirement gives the Steelers $7 million additional cap space.

One of the loudest cheers I've ever heard at Steelers training camp was during the blocking drills during Heath Miller's rookie camp.  The guy put on a blocking clinic that day and everyone erupted.  Special guy who was fun to root for.

Yep in no way was Heath a bust and I would say without hesitation the best TE in Steelers history.

Supposedly his retirement gives the Steelers $7 million additional cap space.
He was in no way a bust. I've long said and will continue to say he's every bit as good a receiver as Jason Witten and a better blocker. He just spent a lot of his prime years in Whiz/Arians systems which are not TE friendly and in general Steelers never asked him to run the 5 yard curl to death like Witten.

But I'm surprised, did not see this coming.

This kind of surprised me but I guess I shouldn't have been.   I suppose Hunter Henry will be a popular choice for the Steelers in mocks now.
About half the mocks I saw already had him going to Steelers before this news  but depends if they covet a pass catching TE which he's fantastic at or if they prefer a better blocking TE which is Henry's weakness.

Very sad.  He was my favorite Steeler of all time.  Sad to see him go.  Best of luck to him. He deserves a nice healthy retirement.

Thoughts on "The Outlaw"?

Seemed to show nice hands toward the end of the year.
He definitely improved a lot over the course of the year.  Of course, after that preseason debacle, there was nowhere to go but up.

He definitely has the physical tools to replace Miller - you don't need to be a 4.5 athlete to seal the edge on a run play or make the tough catch over the middle when you know the slobberknocker is coming.  You have to have stones and you have to work your buttocks off.  We'll see if this kid has what it takes.

Might as well chuck this up now. Cockrell extended, a couple of futures contracts doled out. Let's get ready for the draft and the 2016 season. Currently 10-1 to win SB 51. F Vontaze Burfict.
What a season.  Steelers really could have won the whole damn thing.  F Burfict indeed.

I think James has a loooong way to go if he hopes to remotely replace Heath.

Not totally floored he retired "out of nowhere."  Sort of his MO: Take care of your business quietly.  They'll certainly miss him on the field, but according to everything reported over the years by the beat types(particularly Lolley and Bouchette) they'll miss him in the locker room the most.  According to those guys, he was one of the few guys currently on the team who could call out the stars(e.g. Ben, AB, etc) on their sh@$ and have it actually be respected, pretty much without question.

I don't think this will drastically change our draft/FA plans.  Heath was a much better blocker than receiver last year.  I think they thought this was coming when they drafted JJ last year. 

A lot of people are saying we should grab Henry now by default since Heath retired.  Watching some of his game tape, I think his blocking leaves a lot to be desired.  He's a fairly good pass catcher, but he buckles when blocking for more than 1-2 seconds.  Frequently a runner going through the gap will be taken down by the guy that Henry is supposed to be blocking after he gets shed.

I don't think him retiring changes their draft board at all, but I also think they probably had TE higher on it than many would have expected anyway.  

They wanted Maxx Williams last year,  didnt get him, then waited til the 5th round to take a tight end.  No matter what they think about Jesse James I doubt they'd let his presence stop them from drafting another one early if that's how their board shapes up.

That is not to say I am politicking for an early-round TE.  Just saying if the Steelers board has Hunter/whoever at the top of it in rounds 1-3 they'll take that guy, Heath or no Heath.  James or no James.

True Heath story. Went to Latrobe maybe 3 years ago to watch a training camp practice (the Leonard Pope year). So one after another pretender TE is called to push this massive sled. They all ram into it and hardly budge it, even the giant Pope. Tomlin is watching this all go down and yells really loudly "Hey Heath, show them how it's done." So Miller does the 3-point stance and drives into this sled, pushes it like 20 feet. You could hear it rattling plain as day and Tomlin is jazzed. The crowd, of course, gave a raucous "Heaaath!" cheer. I think he just turned back to whatever he had been doing; all in a day's work. Such a class act.

Looks like the Steelers are being Mocked Vernon Butler (Louisiana Tech, DT/NT) now that the combine is half over.  I've seen him pop up in numerous recent mock drafts, and apparently the Steelers have interviewed him at the combine.  I'd be ok with the pick if he's a great player, but we could definitely use help at other positions first.

Looks like the Steelers are being Mocked Vernon Butler (Louisiana Tech, DT/NT) now that the combine is half over.  I've seen him pop up in numerous recent mock drafts, and apparently the Steelers have interviewed him at the combine.  I'd be ok with the pick if he's a great player, but we could definitely use help at other positions first.
I could easily see this if he's there.  He's position-versatile.  I think the Steelers only employ their true 3-4 front (with NT) on something like 1/3 of snaps at this point, so having the space eating nose like Hampton was is far less important than it used to be.  I think you're going to see them going after hybrids that can play both 5 tech and 0 tech going forward, if for no other reason than to give Heyward and Tuitt the occasional respite.  Those guys played a TON of snaps last year.  Butler looks to me like he may be the only guy in the first round with that type of skill set.  Maybe Robinson or Rankins, but both of those guys look like 3 tech players to me.

Pass?  We had an old, injured backup this year in Gradkowski.
Only reason to sign a guy like Hasselbeck (or Gradkowski or Vick for that matter) is that they're petrified of what would happen should Landry Jones have to play multiple games again.  I think they feel (correctly, IMO) like their title window is wide open right now and they have to be certain that a Roethlisberger injury (or injuries) don't spell doom for this team.  Otherwise, you leave Landry as the #2 and draft/sign a developmental guy hoping he's your man post-Ben.  However, right now, I think they HAVE to have a capable backup that can keep the ship upright if Ben goes down for 4-5 games again.  The only question is whether or not they believe Landry Jones is that guy.  if not, you have to have a veteran backup you can turn to.

Only reason to sign a guy like Hasselbeck (or Gradkowski or Vick for that matter) is that they're petrified of what would happen should Landry Jones have to play multiple games again.  I think they feel (correctly, IMO) like their title window is wide open right now and they have to be certain that a Roethlisberger injury (or injuries) don't spell doom for this team.  Otherwise, you leave Landry as the #2 and draft/sign a developmental guy hoping he's your man post-Ben.  However, right now, I think they HAVE to have a capable backup that can keep the ship upright if Ben goes down for 4-5 games again.  The only question is whether or not they believe Landry Jones is that guy.  if not, you have to have a veteran backup you can turn to.
I really hope they go after Vernon Adams if he's around in Round 7.  I saw him in the east west game and liked what I saw.  I don't think he's the "next Russell Wilson" as many on tv are calling him, but I do think he could develop into a solid player that won't cost a high draft pick.

Wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a QB as early as the 3rd if there was true value there (but idk who I'd even want that high for us that could feasibly be there).

I really hope they go after Vernon Adams if he's around in Round 7.  I saw him in the east west game and liked what I saw.  I don't think he's the "next Russell Wilson" as many on tv are calling him, but I do think he could develop into a solid player that won't cost a high draft pick.

Wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a QB as early as the 3rd if there was true value there (but idk who I'd even want that high for us that could feasibly be there).
I'm pretty sure I read they'd interviewed him and we know Tomlin likes a mobile QB, so it's certainly not out of the question if he's around late in round 7.

They already know that Landry Jones is pure garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread