What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

I kind of hope we sign Pacman.  I don't think he's great and he definitely makes stupid mistakes, but it would be funny seeing him face off against Burfict on our side.

I kind of hope we sign Pacman.  I don't think he's great and he definitely makes stupid mistakes, but it would be funny seeing him face off against Burfict on our side.
Let's see.... A declining corner in his mid 30s who has severe character issues and is something of a villain in Pittsburgh. I'd say it's unlikely. 

Evilgrin 72 said:
Let's see.... A declining corner in his mid 30s who has severe character issues and is something of a villain in Pittsburgh. I'd say it's unlikely. 
We could cut him after the week 4 Bengals game we all know is coming and use him as a WR that week to soak up all the hard hits!  (In reality we should never sign Pacman*)

I've been seeing a handful of recent mock drafts that have all the usual characters going before our pick (Apple, Alexander, Billings, Conklin, etc.) but have Robert Nkemdiche falling to us.  That would be really interesting, and assuming the Steelers talked to him/researched him and found his issues to be ok, I wouldn't be shocked if we grabbed him.  It would be 100% Steelers-like to grab a potential first overall pick with the 25th pick in the draft.

I've been seeing a handful of recent mock drafts that have all the usual characters going before our pick (Apple, Alexander, Billings, Conklin, etc.) but have Robert Nkemdiche falling to us.  That would be really interesting, and assuming the Steelers talked to him/researched him and found his issues to be ok, I wouldn't be shocked if we grabbed him.  It would be 100% Steelers-like to grab a potential first overall pick with the 25th pick in the draft.
Major character flags again though.  Feels like someone they'd take in the second, not the first.  That said, they do need DL depth badly and the guy would be an outstanding 5-tech, so you never know.

Major character flags again though.  Feels like someone they'd take in the second, not the first.  That said, they do need DL depth badly and the guy would be an outstanding 5-tech, so you never know.
I think if they do their HW and think he's ok to draft at #25 then I'd trust them, because he definitely won't be there at our 2nd round pick.  That said, I don't want us taking Noah Spence.  He's been popped for drugs and reminds me too much of Randy Gregory.

Nkemdiche on the field at the same time as Heyward and Tuitt... how do you stop that rush?

Looks like Ramon Foster is re-signing. Curious to see if that means the end of Beachum or whether they figure out a way to creatively squeeze him under the cap. 

Looks like Ramon Foster is re-signing. Curious to see if that means the end of Beachum or whether they figure out a way to creatively squeeze him under the cap. 
Reports says the Steelers are trying to sign Beachum to a one year deal.  My guess is that teams that talked to Beachum's agent recently are not close to offering the kind of $$$ they want.  One year deal may be the way to show teams he is recovered and then be a FA again next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reports says the Steelers are trying to sign Beachum to a one year deal.  My guess is that teams that talked to Beachum's agent recently are not close to offering the kind of $$$ they want.  One year deal may be the way to show teams he is recovered and then be a FA again next season.
I figured that a 1 year "prove it deal" was going to be the way it ended, if he signs a long-term deal now coming off a major surgery and without pedigree, it was likely to be a bargain-basement type of contract.  He's probably wise to bet on himself and play out the year and then try to cash in big next summer.  I was kind of hoping the Steelers could low-ball him and entice him with long-term security on a below-market deal (for a starting LT) but if I was Beachum's agent, I wouldn't be advising my client to sign such a contract.

I figured that a 1 year "prove it deal" was going to be the way it ended, if he signs a long-term deal now coming off a major surgery and without pedigree, it was likely to be a bargain-basement type of contract.  He's probably wise to bet on himself and play out the year and then try to cash in big next summer.  I was kind of hoping the Steelers could low-ball him and entice him with long-term security on a below-market deal (for a starting LT) but if I was Beachum's agent, I wouldn't be advising my client to sign such a contract.
Read recently about agents basically pushing their clients to sign contracts as soon as possible since the agent themselves could be fired at any time, and they want to cash in.  So there would be a chance of us resigning him at a discount, but I think a 1-year prove it deal is more likely.

I really, really hope we don't let the Ravens sign him.  I've read that they're showing an interest and that would really suck.

No downside for the Ravens here as long as his health is good.  They offer him a $10M, one year deal and they win no matter what.  If he says 'yes', they have a starting LT to replace Osemele this year and they weaken their primary rival at the same time.  If he goes back to the Steelers and they have to match, they just drove his price up and ate up some of Pittsburgh's cap space while also showing their fans that they're going to actively seek a quality replacement for the players they lose.

Ladarius Green?
Free agent Ladarius Green will visit the Steelers on Thursday.
Per NFL.com's Albert Breer, there is "serious interest from both sides." ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Green is "expected" to sign with Pittsburgh
would LOVE it!

Free agent Ladarius Green will visit the Steelers on Thursday.
Per NFL.com's Albert Breer, there is "serious interest from both sides." ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Green is "expected" to sign with Pittsburgh
would LOVE it!
Agreed, I feel like SD always underused him.  He's also a good blocker.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Former Chargers TE Ladarius Green is expected to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source.

I really hope this doesn't happen.  I don't mean the signing, I mean the chant.  That should go to Heath and Heath only.
To be fair, I think that GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN sounds different enough from HEEEEEEEAAAAAAATH.  I think he'd be fine with it.  A lot of teams do that for their TEs, i.e. the Ravens with Heap back in the day.  And supporting a new addition to our team would be a positive thing, something that the quintessential team player (Heath) would appreciate.

I really hope this doesn't happen.  I don't mean the signing, I mean the chant.  That should go to Heath and Heath only.
I can understand that, but it didn't start with Heath.  I recall this happening for Eric Green and I am sure there were others I don't remember.

That's a draft pick they don't need to spend on a TE as well. I'd love the signing if they can get a deal done. 

Can you imagine the matchup nightmares a lineup of Brown, Bryant, Green with Bell coming out of the backfield is going to cause?  I really think that group would rival any group in the HISTORY of the NFL as difficult to matchup against and good luck if Wheaton can be more consistent or Coates steps up.

yes and it's a nice deal, only $4.75 million signing bonus, $20 million over 4 years. Not sure of any other guarantees in his contract but base salary is really low in year one.

I'm elated.
That's even better than I had hoped. They could easily cut him after year 1 if for some reason he sucks the place out. 

Unless they plan to open up the passing attack even more by utilizing Green as a dynamic WR, I really hope they're figuring out ways to address the other side of the ball, specifically the secondary.  I don't think the draft is going to solve those problems by itself.

IMO, Green was a top 3 FA TE.  Like EG said, now we don't need to address the need for a TE in the draft, which frees us up to focus almost exclusively on D.

Pretty, pretty damn good start to the offseason.  Foster, Gay, Green.

Land a vet in the secondary, ie Weddle or Nelson, and I couldnt ask for more.

D and OT in the draft, really nice base over the next couple years.

Unless they plan to open up the passing attack even more by utilizing Green as a dynamic WR, I really hope they're figuring out ways to address the other side of the ball, specifically the secondary.  I don't think the draft is going to solve those problems by itself.
I know they like Weddle but they aren't going to throw a ton of money at him. I think they're hoping he'll take less to play for a contender. 

wish list for day 2?

for me it would be to bring back Beachum and add S/CB help

think Weddle is a pipe dream but would be HUGE

wish list for day 2?

for me it would be to bring back Beachum and add S/CB help

think Weddle is a pipe dream but would be HUGE
I definitely want Beachum back on a 1 year deal, that way if Pouncey or Gilbert go down we can move Beachum and have AV play LT.  Our line wouldn't be drastically reduced in talent if we lost a guy to injury like we have recently.

About Weddle, the guy is already 31 and is apparently looking for another long term contract.  Do we really want to sign a 31 year old safety who has probably already peaked?  Maybe he has a lot left to offer, or maybe last year was a sign of things to come with more injuries more frequently on the horizon.  I'd rather stay away if we can't sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

Any chance we resign Boykin?  Most of the young safeties are gone already and most of the top 10 CBs have already been signed.  Boykin, even with his lack of playing time, is a top 10 CB in this year's FA market.

news down here in atl is falcons are interested in boykin. think hes in town today. if im boykin I get out of pittsburgh and go somewhere they promise more playing time.

Know who I hope we draft.

Two years ago I really wanted Aaron Donald.  We were only off by 2 picks.  Not that I don't like Shazier, but I think Donald was atop our boards.

Now its Robert Nkemdiche. He plays DT and is like a thicker/stronger Justin Tuck.  Seeing him go in the 18-22 range.

Heyward.  Nkemdiche. Tuitt.  

1 hour ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Know who I hope we draft.

Two years ago I really wanted Aaron Donald.  We were only off by 2 picks.  Not that I don't like Shazier, but I think Donald was atop our boards.

Now its Robert Nkemdiche. He plays DT and is like a thicker/stronger Justin Tuck.  Seeing him go in the 18-22 range.

Aaron Smith 2.0?

I think this is one instance of teams being higher on him that the talking heads.  People on ESPN and NFL network keep saying he'll fall but I'd be shocked if he made it past the Jets.  That said, I'd like us to grab him if the team feels ok with his issues.

Nkemdiche is a boom or bust pick.  Feels like a million dollar talent with a $5 head.  #1 prospect in the nation at any position coming out of HS, underachieved in college, had off-the-field transgressions.  It's going to come down to : is he a good kid who needs a serious kick in the pants or is he a numbskull who's going to bomb out of the league like Manziel is about to do?

my draft day wish is that one of the top 5 CBs are available

Hagreaves / Ramsey / Apple / Alexander / Jackson

there's so much DL talent, it can wait to Day 2.

originally, I was hoping for Billings to fall (was Hampton from Baylor of Texas?), but with the team using so much nickel, and the NT being off the field ... Do you spend a #25 overall on a guy that may only be on the field for 50% of the snaps?

my draft day wish is that one of the top 5 CBs are available

Hagreaves / Ramsey / Apple / Alexander / Jackson

there's so much DL talent, it can wait to Day 2.

originally, I was hoping for Billings to fall (was Hampton from Baylor of Texas?), but with the team using so much nickel, and the NT being off the field ... Do you spend a #25 overall on a guy that may only be on the field for 50% of the snaps?
I think that's why last year and this, they seem to be looking for hybrid guys that can play multiple positions.  Dupree as a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE.  Tuitt and Heyward who can stand up on the ends in an odd front or kick inside when they go to the 4-3 nickel subpackage (which they actually seem to run as much as the 3-4 "base" D.) Now they seem to be eyeballing larger rush 'backers like Jason Jones from Detroit and guys who can play inside/outside on the line like Billings. Butler, Robinson, Reed, Nkemdiche...

It may be time to re-evaluate what type of players they may be looking at, it seems that as they're playing this kind of hybrid 3-4/4-3, they may draft more like traditional 4-3 teams do rather than 3-4s, eschewing the traditional nose tackle.  Probably won't be pursuing a ton of 4-3 will backers, but larger pass rushers and hybrid end/tackle types may be the new normal.

(was Hampton from Baylor of Texas?)
Longhorns.

Like what's happened so far in FA.  Really like(don't love) Laddy Green.  There a few things he does that still make me itch.  That said, I think he could be a lot better than he has been  and regardless he IS very good at two things already: Beating safeties down the seam and using his body to box out defenders in the RZ.  That alone makes that deal worthwhile. If he develops a few other areas a bit more it's a home run.

If the majority of the Steelers' O stays healthy next season scoring points shouldn't be a problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread