What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Pretty boring game last night which was just fine.   The Steelers backups got gouged in the running game but on the bright side held the Panthers backups to FGs all 5 times they were in the redzone.  Standouts on defense were Moats and Chickillo, who left the game with an injury but is not believed to be serious.   I thought Burns looked pretty good in his debut and Dangerfield (#37) was all over the field.  I'm not sure if he did enough to make the team but he sure was making the most of his opportunity.

Not much to say offensively except Richardson looked really good.  

Now for the final cuts and regular season.  It will be interesting to see if the Steelers pick up a TE or CB this week.   I'm also still waiting on that DeCastro signing...

Steelers trade for Justin Gilbert. The irony is not lost on me for the doom and gloomers in here every time draft day rolls around.

C & C said:
6th round pick in 2018

so essentially free
How can you not love this move? The potential cost is practically zero and deferred two years taboot. And in exchange we get a guy with pedigree and measurables at a position of need. Coach 'em up, fellas, and it's an absolute steal. Otherwise dump him and don't sweat the negligible cost. Good signing.

But you guys were fawning over Gilbert on draft day. Now it's gross when we get him for a 6th two years out? Time is a funny #####.

But you guys were fawning over Gilbert on draft day. Now it's gross when we get him for a 6th two years out? Time is a funny #####.
It's almost as if people have had two years to see his dedication and his on-field play at the NFL level at this point. 

It's almost as if people have had two years to see his dedication and his on-field play at the NFL level at this point. 
My point is, there is always what if'ing going on at draft day. Colbert isn't perfect but I'll take him everyday over a lot of the other hodge podge of the NFL. Look at the Titans, Browns and Jets cuts this year. 

My point is, there is always what if'ing going on at draft day. Colbert isn't perfect but I'll take him everyday over a lot of the other hodge podge of the NFL. Look at the Titans, Browns and Jets cuts this year. 
100% agree. I just suspect this is a waste of a draft pick. Being a future 6th, it's not a big deal. Just seems like Gilbert is a total knucklehead, I guess the hope is that the Steelers' culture and the fact that he's now expendable lights a fire under his ###. The guy has talent, so I don't HATE the trade, just feels like pissing away another 6th.

I do not care about a 6th round pick. How did this year's 6th work out? Gilbert has talent and at worst becomes a serviceable return/special teams man and decent backup corner with game experience. He's likely already the best kick returner they have on the roster. Preseason they averaged 23 yards per return. Last year it was 24. Gilbert averaged 28.

I promise you that Gilbert has more potential to contribute than whomever would have been picked with that future 6th rounder. You do that deal all day everyday. 

Dupree injury hurts. He really came on as the season progressed. 

I'm not real sure about this one.  He'll certainly have opportunity, but I think Wheaton, Coates, Rogers all share in it.   It's a great problem to have for the Steelers.  Not so much for someone looking for fantasy value.

Sounds encouraging:

Walking wounded optimistic

Rookie defensive tackle Javon Hargrave injured his quad Monday in practice, not his knee, and is hopeful he’ll be able to play against the Redskins. He was one of many of the players characterized as day-to-day by coach Mike Tomlin, who said Wednesday that they’ll be ready to play in the opener.

Wheaton, defensive end Cam Heyward and offensive lineman Marcus Gilbert also are hopeful about suiting up.

“It was nothing serious, just something with my quad,” Hargrave said.” I’m just taking it day by day. I should be good [to start]. I’m just rehabbing and getting better.”

Hargrave and Wheaton did not practice Wednesday, but Wheaton characterized his sprained shoulder as “minor” and said there is plenty of time for him to get ready for the Redskins. 

Heyward injured his ankle in the third preseason game at New Orleans and has been working feverishly to give himself an opportunity to play Monday.

“It continues to keep getting better,” he said. “I’m trying to take as much rehab as possible. If we played today it’d be up in the air, but if I’m practicing today, I don’t see why I can’t play on Monday.”

Not sure if mentioned, but on radio they said Gilbert, Hargrave, McCullers and Hayward all practiced in full today

I added the bold font for something to chew on.
  •  

https://disqus.com/by/jason_ader/
Jason Ader • an hour ago

Pittsburgh Sports Fanatics is reporting that Gilbert has picked off Ben twice in practice today. Any other sources that can confirm this?  
"Steelers new Cornerback Justin Gilbert, either looks like a new player, or Cleveland needs better coaches, Gilbert turning heads at Steelers practice, as he showcase not only exceptional footwork but his hands as well, picking Ben off twice once was a go route to AB, and the other was a fade to Coates"

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the bold font for something to chew on.
  •  

•  

Jason Ader • an hour ago

Pittsburgh Sports Fanatics is reporting that Gilbert has picked off Ben twice in practice today. Any other sources that can confirm this?  
    "Steelers new Cornerback Justin Gilbert, either looks like a new player, or Cleveland needs better coaches, Gilbert turning heads at Steelers practice, as he showcase not only exceptional footwork but his hands as well, picking Ben off twice once was a go route to AB, and the other was a fade to Coates"

fap fap fap  :D

DeCastro now signed through the 2021 season at $58.6M. That's a lot for a guard but by the end of the deal if he's still elite (he should be) - it won't be a bad deal at all. A lot of up front money, but the cap hits aren't awful. Frees $2.75M on this year's cap as well so it gives us a little more flexibility to sign someone if need be. 

Extending DeCastro was probably my #1 "want" from this offseason(since I knew they wouldn't do it for Brown yet).  Stoked about that.

Liked Cobb a decent bit coming out of Minnesota too, so that is at least a little bit interesting.  Recall him having better moves than you'd think for a big guy.  Not a ton of explosion though.  Never know though, and he was "free", sooo.....yeah.

No doubt, but with the TE position unclear, and Wheaton being unproven, he could be as high as option 3.

That being said, as a last round pick, if he is going to have a shot at 4-6 catches/week, he'll be good value, especially in PPR.
Rogers seems like a good sneaky start this week.

The Redskins run defense wasn't very good last season.  I'm not sure what they've done to improve but it could be a big night for Deangelo.   I expect AB is going to see a lot of double coverage so hopefully Rogers, Coates, DHB, and Jesse James can shake loose.

It will be a big test for the Steelers defense tonight.  Cousins' completion rate is sick and he gets rid of the ball quick so it will tough to generate a lot of pressure.  I am betting the Washington game plan is to test the Steelers secondary early and often.

I see this as a potential high scoring game like 30-27 or so.      Hoping for a road victory but could see it going the other way. 

GO STEELERS!    :towelwave:

Man we really need some veterans at receivers to deal with these young guys.  And ones who can actually catch the ball unlike Heyward Bey.   That is where missing guys like Cotchery kind of hurts. 

I really hope they keep using DeAngelo Williams regularly after week 3 because he clearly has so much more in the tank.   Having a great game so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Even without Bryant and Ladarius, this offense will be potent.  When Wheaton comes back, they'll be tough for any defense to stop.  Coates continues to suck.

Users who are viewing this thread