What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Chargers Thread **** (1 Viewer)

On the clock. Hoping for a trade down. If not, given the preceding picks, hoping for Allen or Hooker.

...and the pick is Williams. :thumbdown:  

A position they didn't need to address IMO, and now Telesco pretty much guarantees they will not be able to address all of DT, S, CB, OL with quality players.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate the pick...Williams on the opposite side of KA...nice. Plus T Williams as # 3, Hunter Henry..all types of mismatches.

Obviously everyone thought Hooker, but I think they were scared a 1 year wonder and injury history. Will probably target B Baker in 2nd round I imagine..

I don't hate the pick...Williams on the opposite side of KA...nice. Plus T Williams as # 3, Hunter Henry..all types of mismatches.

Obviously everyone thought Hooker, but I think they were scared a 1 year wonder and injury history. Will probably target B Baker in 2nd round I imagine..
If they didn't like Hooker, Allen was the pick.

You didn't even mention Benjamin. Is that $24M contract your #4 WR now?

They need WR insurance....Allen may not last a full season!
Yes, and their defense ranked #29 in points allowed and #30 in rushing TDs allowed, whereas their passing offense was #8 in yards and #4 in TDs, even without Allen and Woodhead. But you think they needed Mike Williams over defense? :no:  

I guess we need to see how the rest of their draft shakes out, but I'm not loving this decision right now.

It certainly appears that Mike Williams will upgrade an already deep receiving unit that has seen some injury problems. Still, considering the Bears reached for Trubisky and then the Titans for Davis, there was even better talent available than many were expecting at #7. The top CB, the top FS, a top-two DL... all of these seem like better athletes at greater positions of need.

There was a lot of head-scratching in the first round and this is far from the biggest, but it still feels disappointing.

New coaches often want to get "their own guys" instead of drafting for need.  So its normal to see this happen after a coaching change.  Personally, I threw away my list of needs once McCoy was fired.  New team now, new issues.

Just Win Baby said:
Yes, and their defense ranked #29 in points allowed and #30 in rushing TDs allowed, whereas their passing offense was #8 in yards and #4 in TDs, even without Allen and Woodhead. But you think they needed Mike Williams over defense? :no:  
I know. The defense sucked. I would have loved Adams....damn Jets. But Hooker was a med/bust risk. They can grab b baker in the second. 

Per Ricky Henne: Telesco says there was "a lot of activity on phone" about trading back when on the clock, but they weren't going to give up Mike Williams.

That makes the pick even worse IMO.

Hoping for one of these guys in the second round:

• FS Baker
  • DT McDowell
  • OL Lamp
Harder to predict who will be available in the third round, but I hope there are no picks in second/third outside of the positions of DL, OL, CB, S.

Some guy on FB named Robb Rarick suggested this:

Inside the Charger's draft war room 6:55 pm ET April 27th, 2017TT: Hey what is our deepest and most talented position group?Dir of Scouting: Easily WR, did you see what those guys did last year? Talk about next man up...we are deep there.TT: Where do we really need improvement?All coaches and scouts in unison: Defense!TT: Any particular group?Gus Bradley: Well, you couldn't stop anyone from passing last year. Your slow and undersized LBs are a liability on passing downs, and you have only 2 guys in the secondary that can cover...TT: Okay...we'll draft a WR at #7. Anyone come to mind that is slow and has suffered a catastrophic injury making him at risk to re injure in the future? I'm talking on any down. But he has to be slow, I mean slower than LBs in this draft.Dir of Scouting: I'll have to get back to you on that one Tommy boy, I need to update my LinkedIn profile...To be continued April 28th at 5:55 pm ET...

Chargers rd 2 is likely kizer.  New coach.  Rivers mentioned he pondered retirement a while back.  Typical move by new coach. 

Kizer would be GM malpractice. Have you been drinking?

Fortunately the Chargers got a gift in OL Lamp. Many felt he was the best OL in the draft, and he was expected to go in the first round. I would love this to result in the Chargers releasing Franklin. New OL could be LT Okung, LG Slauson, C Tuerk, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, with OT Hairston, C/G Pulley, and G Clark in reserve. :thumbup:

Lamp! Great pick!

Come on guys, don't be so down on Williams. There was a run on WRs so still good defense in the draft in the third. Melifonwu. It'll be fine

Williams is a baller. He fights for the ball. And you just know Rivers is gonna love the end zone fade to Williams 1-1 all day long. 

Wow, 3rd round pick is OG Feeney. We know for sure that Okung and Barksdale will make the roster due to contracts. We know for sure Slauson will make it due to performance. We know for sure that Tuerk, Lamp, and Feeney will make it due to draft pedigree. It is reasonable to expect Pulley and Clark to make it due to cheap contracts. If the Chargers keep 9 OL on the active roster, I could see Hairston being the 9th OL.

Given all of this, and given that new HC Lynn supposedly wants OL who can move effectively, it seems very likely that Franklin will be released soon. If designated as pre-6/1 cut, it would save $2.8M in 2017 cap room; if designated as a post 6/1 cut, it would save $6M in 2017 cap room. I'm hoping Telesco will designate it as a post-6/1 cut, and use the savings to address the defensive needs he has ignored thus far in the draft.

Lamp in the 2nd, Feeney in the 3rd, Jenkins in the 4th, King in the 5th...

Did someone kick Telesco out of the warroom after his idiotic pick Thursday and start drafting good players that also fill needs?

With 10 picks to go before the Chargers' 6th round pick, DTs Caleb Brantley, Elijah Qualls, DJ Jones, and Stevie Tu'iklolavatu are available, as is TE Bucky Hodges. I'd like to see one of those guys as the 6th round pick.

Prefer a DT due to need, but Hodges was pegged by some as a potential first round pick, though most had him as rounds 3-4.

Chargers on the clock with all of these players except Brantley still available... and Telesco picks OT.

Can't get too worked up over a 6th round pick, but I am surprised and disappointed that Telesco seems content with his current DL. As I said earlier, I hope Franklin is slated for post June 1 release, and Telesco will use some of the cap savings to sign a veteran DL.

Well, Telesco finally went DT in the 7th. I don't expect Rochell to make the final roster, though. Nor 6th rounder Tevi.

Surprised RB Matt Dayes hasn't been picked, would love to see him brought in as a UDFA, though I recognize I am a :homer: on him.

The defense as a unit was below average in several areas last season:

• #30 in rushing TDs allowed
  • #29 in points allowed
  • #27 in defensive penalties
  • #26 in opponent drive scoring percentage
  • #21 in first downs allowed
  • #19 in plays against
They were right at average at #16 in yards allowed. All of this despite being tied for #4 in takeaways. They cannot return to contending status without drastically improving these metrics.

So what has happened in this offseason so far?

• So far, no changes at DT other than drafting a 7th rounder who will end up on the practice squad at best.
  • No changes at DE.
  • No changes at OLB.
  • No changes at ILB/MLB except letting Teo walk, which is a definite positive.
  • At CB, Flowers is gone, which is a positive due to contract and concussions, but still leaves a void to be filled at 3rd CB (2nd if Verrett gets hurt again). No move so far to address that, unless 5th rounder King ends up playing CB instead of or in addition to S. But he is a 5th rounder, so unlikely he will play much right out of the gate.
  • Drafted 2 safeties, though in the 4th and 5th rounds, so looks like Addae and Lowery will again dominate snaps, at least in 2017. We can only hope one of the draft picks is good enough to surpass Lowery by 2018.
Altogether, this mostly amounts to status quo. So we are left with hoping:

• Bosa, Mebane, Verrett, and Reid will be healthier and other key players will not have serious injuries
  • Underperforming starters Liuget, Verrett, and Lowery improve
  • New DC Bradley makes a difference
Some or all of those things could happen, but I would have liked to see them add a defensive player in the first to (more) significantly upgrade either DL or S.

That said, I like this draft more than I thought I would after the Mike Williams pick. While I might have preferred some different players at some of the picks, I like the value of the picks in the 2nd through 5th rounds. I don't think either of the 6th or 7th round picks will end up making the final roster, and I think there were better picks available, but it is rare to find good players in those rounds, so not a huge deal.

If the first round pick was DT Allen or S Hooker (which would have changed the 4th/5th round picks), this draft would be almost as good as last year's.

That being said, while I don't like the Mike Williams pick, I do think he will be a solid player for the Chargers and really strengthens the group of targets for Rivers. For 2017, depending on health, Rivers will be throwing to Allen, Mike W, Tyrell W, Benjamin, Inman, Henry, Gates, Gordon, and Oliver. If they all stay healthy, that is one of the best receiving groups in the NFL.

The back to back OL picks ensure the OL will be upgraded this season. I think it is very likely that both Lamp and Feeney will start out of the gate. Obviously Okung will start at LT and Slauson will start at C or G. So the question becomes whether or not Barksdale or Tuerk will be the 5th starter. There are quite a few possibilities, with these two seeming like the most likely possibilities:

• LT Okung, LG Slauson, C Tuerk, RG Feeney, RT Lamp
  • LT Okung, LG Lamp, C Slauson, RG Feeney, RT Barksdale
It seems like a lock for LT Okung, C/G Slauson, C/G Tuerk, G Feeney, G/T Lamp, and T Barksdale to make the final roster, with C/G Pulley, G Clark, G Wiggins, T Hairston, and T Burwell competing for the remaining 2-3 roster spots.

As you can tell, I am expecting G Franklin to be released or traded. If he is released and designated a post 6/1 cut, it frees up $6M against the 2017 cap. Barksdale will make the final roster due to his contract, but the fact that Lamp can play OT could result in swing tackle Hairston not making it, in which case the team could save $1.525M on the 2017 cap.

Telesco could potentially use whatever cap space is freed up to sign a veteran DL or CB, which would make me feel a lot better about going WR in the first. Or, probably less likely, Franklin could be traded for a defensive player with the same positive outcome; however, trading him offers no equivalent to the post 6/1 designation for releasing him, so the cap savings for Franklin would be reduced to $2.8M.

Come on, Telesco, show us you aren't done...

The defense as a unit was below average in several areas last season:

• #30 in rushing TDs allowed
  • #29 in points allowed
  • #27 in defensive penalties
  • #26 in opponent drive scoring percentage
  • #21 in first downs allowed
  • #19 in plays against
They were right at average at #16 in yards allowed. All of this despite being tied for #4 in takeaways. They cannot return to contending status without drastically improving these metrics.

So what has happened in this offseason so far?

• So far, no changes at DT other than drafting a 7th rounder who will end up on the practice squad at best.
  • No changes at DE.
  • No changes at OLB.
  • No changes at ILB/MLB except letting Teo walk, which is a definite positive.
  • At CB, Flowers is gone, which is a positive due to contract and concussions, but still leaves a void to be filled at 3rd CB (2nd if Verrett gets hurt again). No move so far to address that, unless 5th rounder King ends up playing CB instead of or in addition to S. But he is a 5th rounder, so unlikely he will play much right out of the gate.
  • Drafted 2 safeties, though in the 4th and 5th rounds, so looks like Addae and Lowery will again dominate snaps, at least in 2017. We can only hope one of the draft picks is good enough to surpass Lowery by 2018.
Altogether, this mostly amounts to status quo. So we are left with hoping:

• Bosa, Mebane, Verrett, and Reid will be healthier and other key players will not have serious injuries
  • Underperforming starters Liuget, Verrett, and Lowery improve
  • New DC Bradley makes a difference
Some or all of those things could happen, but I would have liked to see them add a defensive player in the first to (more) significantly upgrade either DL or S.
you cant fix everything in one draft....They decided to fix the Oline in this one....hope it works

Lamp in the 2nd, Feeney in the 3rd, Jenkins in the 4th, King in the 5th...

Did someone kick Telesco out of the warroom after his idiotic pick Thursday and start drafting good players that also fill needs?
Not a fan, but this is a really impressive draft.  Don't be too down on the Williams pick; he will be a major weapon

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
you cant fix everything in one draft....They decided to fix the Oline in this one....hope it works
How many drafts does it take? Telesco has had 5 now. I mean, I'm not expecting a perfect roster after 5 drafts, but the Chargers still have a lot of issues, both in 2017 and beyond.

Current predicted roster:

• Offense (24)

QB (2) - Rivers, Clemens
  • RB (4) - Gordon, Oliver, Andre Williams, Farrow/Barner

If Williams sticks as the early down backup, Barner could have an edge over Farrow as the late/passing down backup and also given he can return kickoffs; Barner is $150K more expensive than Farrow, so that shouldn't be a factor

[*]FB (1) - Watt

[*]WR (5) - Allen, Mike Williams, Benjamin, Tyrell Williams, Inman

• With all this WR talent, it seems like the team should play a lot of 3 WR sets, but does that fit Lynn's style?
  • Assuming Allen will work out of the slot a lot more than in the past

[*]TE (3) - Henry, Gates, Cleveland/Cumberland

[*]OL (9) - LT Okung, G/T Lamp, C/G Slauson, G Feeney, T Barksdale, C/G Tuerk, G/C Pulley, G Clark, T Hairston

• Predicting Franklin is released and Wiggins and Burwell lose the competition for backup spots
  • Hairston could also be released to save $1.5M in cap room, but, given all the injuries in recent years, I expect him to make it
  • Would love to see Tuerk good enough to force his way into the lineup, in which case Barksdale could go to the bench, with Lamp playing RT

[*]Defense (26)

• Interior DL (5) - Mebane, Liuget, Reid, Philon, Square

No room for Palepoi, which is good, because he was terrible last season and also still has a 1 game PED suspension to complete

[*]Edge (5) - BosaIngram, Emanuel, Attaochu, Landrum

• No room for Tourek Williams, unless he beats out Landrum; Landrum was quite a bit better last season, albeit on fewer snaps

[*]LB (5) - OLB Toomer, MLB Perryman, OLB Brown, MLB Perry, OLB Onwualu (UDFA)

• Predicting Onwualu continues the Chargers' tradition of a UDFA making the final roster and will play special teams and limited backup OLB  snaps
  • Onwualu making it pushes Dzubnar off the roster, which would probably save about $200K on the 2017 cap

[*]CB (6) - Hayward, Verrett, Reed, Trevor Williams, Mager, ?

• Would like to see Mager gone, but I don't think Telesco will do it; releasing him would save about $470K on the 2017 cap
  • UDFA Michael Davis could have a shot here, but likely only if Mager was the odd man out, since Reed and Williams are better than Mager and presumably won't be released
  • Still need an upgrade at 3rd CB over the current backups; hoping Telesco still sign a veteran

[*]S (5) - SS Addae, FS Lowery, FS King, SS/FS Jenkins, FS McCoil

• Telesco has a nice thing going in the 5th round, as King was a steal there; I'm a bit surprised they took Jenkins before King
  • No room for Stuckey, and releasing him will free up $2.9M in cap room

[*]Special Teams (3)

• PK (1) - Lambo
  • P (1) - Kaser
  • LS (1) - Windt
  • KR - King, Oliver/Barner?

King returned 56 kickoffs for an average of 26.0 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

[*]PR - Benjamin, King

• Would like to see the team assign Benjamin the first shot at this role to see if he can recapture his Cleveland success; with Allen hopefully healthy and Mike Williams added, plus the team knowing what they have in Tyrell Williams, there is less of an issue exposing Benjamin to injury on punt returns
  • King returned 43 punts for an average of 11.7 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

I must say, if healthy, this looks like a solid roster. Interior DL depth, pass rush depth, 3rd corner, and FS (at least as long as Lowery is starting) are weaknesses, and it will probably take a while for the OL to gel, with 3-4 new starters.

The Chargers currently have about $6.2M in available 2017 cap space, and my predictions above would free up about another $5.7M or $8.9M, depending on how Franklin is designated. (Assuming Hairston and Mager make the final roster.)

I know Telesco will hold some of that in reserve, but that suggests he has $8M to $11M to spend if he can find some vets or trades. IMO priority should be on a veteran 3rd CB, then DL.

Thoughts?

With regard to available veterans, here are a couple I think Telesco should strongly consider:

• CB Leon Hall - has been a good CB for many years, now a free agent at 32; signed a 1 year deal for $2M with NYG last season, so wouldn't break the bank
  • DT Tony McDaniel - 32, but still a solid run defender at DT; played with Mebane in Seattle (but did not play for Bradley there)

This article shows how bad Rivers' OL has been over the past several years in comparison to his peers. Looking at the data there makes Rivers' performance even better than I already thought.

• CB (6) - Hayward, Verrett, Reed, Trevor Williams, Mager, ?

Would like to see Mager gone, but I don't think Telesco will do it; releasing him would save about $470K on the 2017 cap
  • UDFA Michael Davis could have a shot here, but likely only if Mager was the odd man out, since Reed and Williams are better than Mager and presumably won't be released
  • Still need an upgrade at 3rd CB over the current backups; hoping Telesco still sign a veteran

[*]S (5) - SS Addae, FS Lowery, FS King, SS/FS Jenkins, FS McCoil

• Telesco has a nice thing going in the 5th round, as King was a steal there; I'm a bit surprised they took Jenkins before King
  • No room for Stuckey, and releasing him will free up $2.9M in cap room
Telesco said that they see King as a corner (probably a nickel), although they think he can also play safety.

Telesco said that they see King as a corner (probably a nickel), although they think he can also play safety.
I've seen some speculation on that, and it is good that he can play both, but his physical limitations, mainly speed, are what had him profiled more as a safety in the NFL.

Hard to tell if you (or he) are saying they see him long term at CB or S, where he could play the other in a pinch. IMO it matters, because Jenkins profiles more as a SS than FS, and King profiles as a FS. I realize to some degree those positions are interchangeable, yet I wouldn't say Weddle and Addae were interchangeable... I wouldn't say Chancellor and Thomas (the model pair for Bradley's defense) were interchangeable.

Do you think that means King should be listed at CB, and someone like S Phillips is likely to make the team? Do you think that means Telesco is content with his secondary now without adding a veteran?

Interested in your thoughts on everything else, too.

I don't hate this draft. Yet. I would love to see what Rivers could do if his line can keep his jersey clean. Should help Gordon out too.

Still, after all these Jamal Williamsless years - brother, can you spare an NT?

From Tom Telesco’s Patience Pays off Draft Weekend:

I was told there was a deal in place with the Browns to trade back. They had actually spoken with multiple teams, including one in the 20’s(I’m assuming the Broncos, who eventually took Bolles), about trading back. But the Browns were most realistic. If they traded back, the plan was to draft Lamp in the 1st, a receiver or safety in the 2nd, and Indiana’s right guard Dan Feeney with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.
So as it turned out, the team has Mike Williams, Lamp, and Feeney and could have instead apparently had 1.12 and 2.20. So an alternative draft in which they made this trade might have looked like this:

• 1.12 G/T Lamp
  • 2.6 WR Smith-Schuster
  • 2.20 G Feeney
  • 3.7 CB Fabian Moreau
  • 4.6 S Jenkins
  • 5.7 CB/S King
  • 6.6 OT Tevi
  • 7.7 DT Rochell
Even better IMO, they could have had S Marcus Maye at 2.6, which would have presumably changed the 4th and/or 5th round picks.

Although I like the draft overall, and we don't know exactly how trading down would have changed it, I think I would have liked the draft better had Telesco traded down.

Can't blame them but it seems they're trying to bolster OL depth in an historically poor OL draft.  

From Eric Williams:

After the schedule release in April I predicted the Chargers will have a bounce-back season and finish 9-7.

With the addition of receiver Mike Williams and three young offensive linemen headlining this year’s draft, the added talent I feel bolsters that prediction but doesn’t make me want to add to the win total.

The Chargers are favored in only five games according to the sharps in Vegas and have a projected win total of eight games according to Football Outsiders. So my 9-7 prediction is already on the sunnier side if you look at the numbers from some of the people who make their living predicting the outcome of games.

And although the organization is not using it as an excuse, dealing with relocation could play a factor in how the team performs on the field.

Apparently, my colleagues at ESPN NFL Nation are factoring that into their predictions for the upcoming season. According to ESPN NFL Nation game-by-game predictions by opposing team reporters, the Chargers will serve as the homecoming opponent in 2017, finishing with a 4 -12 record.

The final record for the Chargers probably will land somewhere in the middle of my 9-7 prediction and that 4-12 record predicted by the rest of the NFL Nation reporters.

However, it’s not outlandish to believe the Chargers can win the AFC West if they can figure out a way to stay healthy -- something the team has not done the past two years.

Derek Carr had an amazing season last year. But he’s also coming off a broken leg that ended his 2016 campaign, so Philip Rivers is the most talented quarterback in the division that’s healthy.

And with the return of Joey BosaMelvin IngramBrandon Mebane and Jason Verrett, the Chargers should be even better on defense.

Lastly, the Chargers lost six games in the fourth quarter last season in which they held a lead. At some point continually losing games in the fourth quarter has to flip in the team’s favor.

But as the old cliché goes, that’s why they play the games.

I noticed the FBG Chargers team report has been updated. I see a few issues with it:

WIDE RECEIVERS

Starters: Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin
Backups: Dontrelle Inman, Jevontee Herndon, Geremy Davis, Da'Ron Brown Isaiah Burse, Jamaal Jones

Backup WRs: Dontrelle Inman is the fourth receiver. He has some big-play ability due to his combination of height, jumping ability, and deep speed; but he is not a refined route-runner and he is inconsistent as a pass catcher. He'll only earn extended playing time if there's a repeat of 2015-2016's injuries. Isaiah Burse, in his third NFL season, will try to catch on as the fifth wide receiver, but would likely be relegated to special teams play. He's a slot option lacking top speed. Jevontee Herndon is a practice squad option from Arkansas. Geremy Davis has excellent size and he uses it well to win the ball. He lacks great speed, but has made developmental progress during his first two years in the league with the Giants. Da'Ron Brown began his career in Kansas City. He's skilled after the catch, but raw as a route runner. He'll compete on special teams. Jamaal Jones starred at Montana. He's a tough, 6'1", 187-pound option, but lacking great athletic upside.
Inman will be the 5th WR barring injury or an unexpected trade. That pretty much means no other WRs listed in the Backups group really have a shot at making the final roster... I don't see Burse or any of the others as really being in competition for the 5th WR spot.

Also, it may not matter for purposes of the writeup, but Inman is the strongest run blocker among SD WRs (#22 among WRs last season per PFF). Tyrell is next best. For this reason, I don't see either of them being traded or released, especially in Lynn's offense. I could see those two paired with a TE/FB or 2 TEs on a lot of run snaps. This, in turn, could hold down snaps for Allen, Mike Williams, and/or Benjamin. Depends on exactly how much more the Chargers will run this season.

TIGHT ENDS

Starters: Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates
Backups: Jeff Cumberland, Sean McGrath Jake McGee, Asante Cleveland

Antonio Gates will be 37years old when the season starts, but he's coming off his 13th consecutive season as a worthwhile fantasy starter in 12-team leagues. It was Gate's 11th year with at least 7 touchdowns. Gates and 2016 second-round pick Hunter Henry starred in two-tight end sets most of the year. Although Gates has never been a strong blocker, Henry was the weaker of the two in the run game, and the Chargers used Henry as an H-Back with even fewer blocking responsibilities than Gates last year. This may continue in 2017, because Henry is an excellent receiver who displayed skill to sneak through the line on misdirection plays to get open. However, Henry will have to improve his blocking if he wants to develop into an every-down star.
FWIW, PFF has Henry with 281 run snaps last season, compared to 145 for Gates. Also, while Henry graded poorly in run blocking, he graded #6 among TEs in pass blocking, albeit on a small sample size. Combining that with his receiving grade, PFF had Henry as the #12 overall TE last season. It is typical that TEs make major improvement from year 1 to year 2, so his outlook looks really good IMO.

KICK AND PUNT RETURNERS

Kick Returners: Isaiah Burse

Burse has bounced between practice squads for most of his NFL career before getting game-day action as San Diego's primary returner over the latter half of the season. With former competition Dexter McCluster gone, Burse returns as the favorite for the job in 2017.

Punt Returners: Travis Benjamin, Isaiah Burse

Travis Benjamin has one of the highest punt return averages in NFL history, (he currently ranks 6th), and was all set to handle the job for San Diego last year. An early-season injury to Keenan Allen and an expanded role on offense scuttled those plans, opening the door for Isaiah Burse. With Allen back, highly-drafted rookie Mike Williams joining, and last year's breakout sensation Tyrell Williams waiting in the wings, Benjamin should be free to focus more on special teams.
This section seems way off IMO:

• I don't see Burse making the final roster.
  • None of Oliver, Barner, or King are mentioned. All seem like candidates for kick returns, although it is very possible Barner won't make the final roster, either.
  • Barner and King, along with Benjamin, seem like candidates for punt returns but are not mentioned. I do agree they will likely try Benjamin first and see if he can return to his Cleveland form.
OFFENSIVE LINE

Projected Starters: Russell Okung, Orlando Franklin, Matt Slauson, Donavon Clark, Joe Barksdale LT Russell Okung, LG Orlando Franklin, C Matt Slauson, RG Donavon Clark, RT Joe Barksdale
Key Backups: Forrest Lamp [R], Chris Hairston, Tyreek Burwell, Dan Feeney [R], Max Tuerk

The Chargers' offensive line improved this offseason with the acquisition of left tackle Russell Okung via free agency. Okung started all 16 games for the Broncos, thus proving he is capable of staying healthy. The team hopes for a bounce back effort out of Joe Barksdale at right tackle, who was a competent pass protector before last season. Orlando Franklin and Matt Slauson provide a solid power duo on the interior while right guard Donavon Clark should be pushed heavily by the two rookies, Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney. Chris Hairston should be the swing tackle again and the team likes Tyreek Burwell's upside. Overall the Chargers' offensive line is a low tier group but can rise in the rankings with better right tackle play and as their rookie guards develop.
Again, this section seems off:

• I do not expect Franklin to be on the final roster. I understand that he is today, and he is a returning starter, so I could see listing him as a starter as a result... but to say he was part of a solid duo with Slauson implies that he himself was solid, and he wasn't, he was terrible.
  • No idea why Clark is shown as a starter or would be "pushed" by the rookies, both of whom should be considerably better than Clark. He was a 7th round pick last year, hurt all year, and will be battling for a roster spot. I do expect him to make the roster, but it would be very surprising if he moved into the starting lineup ahead of all of Lamp, Feeney, and Tuerk.
  • Speaking of Lamp, he is expected to start, whether at LG, RG, or RT. If he doesn't start from day one (barring injury), it would be very surprising. He opened minicamp practicing at RG.
  • Pulley and Wiggins aren't even mentioned. Both of them have a chance to make the final roster over Burwell and/or Hairston, though I think Wiggins is a longer shot.
TEAM DEFENSE
The defense saw very little turnover personnel-wise, but they did add Gus Bradley as their defensive coordinator and will move to a 4-3 defense.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Starters: LE Joey Bosa, NT Brandon Mebane, DT Corey Liuget

LINEBACKERS
Starters: LOLB Melvin Ingram, LILB Jatavis Brown, RILB Denzel Perryman, ROLB Kyle Emanuel
The summary says 4-3 defense, but positions are labeled for 3-4 defense.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Starters: LCB Jason Verrett, SS Jahleel Addae, FS Dwight Lowery, RCB Casey Hayward
Backups: FS Rayshawn Jenkins [R], SS Desmond King [R], CB Craig Mager
Comments:

• Obviously, this was written before the team signed Tre Boston, so he will be added, and he could beat out Lowery to start. If that happens, it is at least possible Lowery could be released.
  • Jenkins should be listed at SS and King at FS... though as @Maurile Tremblay pointed out, King could play slot corner, especially now with FS Boston signed.
  • CBs Reed and Williams aren't listed but should make the final roster. Perhaps they don't warrant mention for fantasy purposes, but then why would Mager warrant mention?

Orlando Franklin released :thumbup:

At this time, it seems appropriate to revisit Telesco's free agency track record. His biggest problem has been his poor track record on significant contracts. Here is the list of 20M+ contracts he has given in his tenure:

• CB Cox – 4 year $20M in 2013, released after 2014 season
  • LB Butler – 7 year $52M in 2014, released after 2015 season
  • LT Dunlap (second contract) – 4 year $28M in 2015, released after 2016 season
  • LG Franklin – 5 year $36.5M in 2015, released after 2016 season
  • CB Flowers (second contract) – 4 year $36.4M in 2015, released after 2016 season
  • DT Liuget – 5 year $51M in 2015, still starting DT but could be released after 2017 season if play does not improve
  • RT Barksdale (second contract) – 4 year $22M in 2016, still likely starting RT but could be released after 2017 season if play does not improve
  • WR Benjamin – 4 year $24M in 2016, probably WR3 at best right now barring injuries to others, and likely to be released after 2017 season
  • WR Allen – 4 year $45M in 2016, still WR1 if he can stay healthy
  • LT Okung – 4 year $53M in 2017, starting LT, no post-contract track record yet
  • SS Addae – 4 year $22.5M in 2017, starting SS, no post-contract track record yet
  • QB Rivers – 4 year $83M in 2015, still QB1
The jury is still out on some players — Allen, Okung, and Addae… and maybe Liuget, Barksdale, and Benjamin as well, though early returns on them are not good. Overall, this is a pretty bad track record.

He has been better on lower value contracts, signing players such as Woodhead, Slauson, Tyrell Williams, Toomer, Mebane, Reid, Hayward, and Boston… but also Donald Brown, Ohrnberger, Rinehart, and Lowery.

Altogether, he may have been close to 50/50 on his success rate with free agents, but his misses have tended to be expensive misses that have consistently hurt the team’s cap situation.

Ryan Mathews is set to be released in the near future, with Blount signed by PHI. Given he will turn 30 in October and has been injury prone, I expect he can be signed reasonably cheaply, say 2 years for $5M or similar. I would love to see the Chargers sign him to back up Gordon. Mathews has always been effective when healthy, including as a receiving back. With fewer touches backing up Gordon, he just might be able to stay healthy, and he is much better than Andre Williams, Farrow, Oliver, and Barner. Mathews also had the best season of his career in 2013 with Whisenhunt.

Come on, Telesco.

What is the actual stadium the Chargers will be playing in this year? It's not the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl, right?

over/under on the number people actually going to that stadium?
They'll sell out every game. I know I am in the minority but I think it's kind of awesome they'll be playing in an intimate venue like that. Like seeing your favorite huge band in a much smaller setting than they are used to playing. Imagine if you were a U2 fan, instead of a stadium or an arena you get to see them play in a small auditorium. Maybe the players and owners won't love it but cool for the fans. Completely different vibe from the 31 other home stadiums. 

http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/SYizVr5-Imgur.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread