What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

You may think drummer is trolling, but his assessment of the Yorks and especially Marathe is spot on.

It took an ego as big as Harbaugh's to shield the team from Maratheball and my hope for the team is that Lynch is the type of guy who can do that, as well. Because as long as Marathe and Jed are doing anything apart from setting up contracts, this franchise will remain a ####show.
Remember, I coined "Maratheball" years ago when I asked Billy Beane about it on KNBR when he was co-hosting with Ralph Barbieri years ago. 

I also predicted that Jed would run Harbaugh out of town 2 seasons before he did. 

And to follow up my point about Luke Walton: 

It doesn't matter if he is possibly a bright head coach in developing, but when you have and idiot like Jim Buss running - well not anymore because YOU CAN DISMISS OWNERS JED - a storied franchise into the ground, that hurts the whole team as far as the lack of talent and direction he has to be able to coach. 

The 49ers are on the same parallel. 

My thing is, if you look at the timeline starting with that old Marathe article to present day, and the win/loss records, the only outlying "data point" is the only head coach that didn't follow the York norm: 

Jim Harbaugh. 

To then have Jed and Paraag run him  out of town for Jim Tomsula is just flat out screwing the fans over. The Lynch AND Shanahan hires look like the same Marathe model he used to hire Nolan. 

But I am with you on the SF Giants. They are the only franchise I spend money on because I never expected them to win as many WS as they had, and baseball is baseball. Plus, I hate the South Bay lol. 
To be honest, I don't really remember the specifics of the Nolan hire, such as the model used to hire him.  I remember him most for deciding to take a spread offense QB at number 1 over a pro style local kid from Cal because he "liked" him better.  I'll not one to usually say "I knew that" after the fact, but kind of did on the Smith vs Rodgers debate. 

Don't know how the Lynch and Shanahan hires will end up working out, but liked the fact that out of the gate, Lynch was able to get someone like Peters to come on board and that Elway would let that happen, which I think says a lot about the respect people have for him, which I think is important, especially when you look at how Baalke had zero after the Harbaugh fiasco. I will have a stronger opinion after their first draft as far as talent evaluation and approach to rebuilding.  Also, neither Lynch or Shanahan strikes me as a pushover and they didn't take the job out of desperation, so that gives me hope that Paarog sticks to negotiating contracts. 

Feel the same about the Giants.  Go to 5-6 games a year and buy a $12 beer or two (after downing a couple at Carmens before the game).  Haven't been to the new stadium yet and have no desire to.  I will always be a fan of the team but not going to spend my money going to Santa Clara.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I don't really remember the specifics of the Nolan hire, such as the model used to hire him.  I remember him most for deciding to take a spread offense QB at number 1 over a pro style local kid from Cal because he "liked" him better.  I'll not one to usually say "I knew that" after the fact, but kind of did on the Smith vs Rodgers debate. 

Don't know how the Lynch and Shanahan hires will end up working out, but liked the fact that out of the gate, Lynch was able to get someone like Peters to come on board and that Elway would let that happen, which I think says a lot about the respect people have for him, which I think is important, especially when you look at how Baalke had zero after the Harbaugh fiasco. I will have a stronger opinion after their first draft as far as talent evaluation and approach to rebuilding.  Also, neither Lynch or Shanahan strikes me as a pushover and they didn't take the job out of desperation, so that gives me hope that Paarog sticks to negotiating contracts. 

Feel the same about the Giants.  Go to 5-6 games a year and buy a $12 beer or two (after downing a couple at Carmens before the game).  Haven't been to the new stadium yet and have no desire to.  I will always be a fan of the team but not going to spend my money going to Santa Clara.
Read that article. It first came out in the SF Weekly years ago. Back then, Bill Walsh had an office at HQ at the same time and they ignored him. Seriously, the  man who they put a statue in front of Levi's THEY IGNORED while he had an office. Marathe has had such an influence over the 49er organization that they ignored Walsh for Marathe. Bear in mind, the 49ers went into "salary cap hell" due to Walsh as GM, because the salary cap did the whole Dynasty 49ers in. Marathe has been great with the salary cap, but his own analytics model - which he thinks is as good as the NE Patriots model - has produced real poor teams, or teams that don't win 10 games. The 10 games mark IS the benchmark for a team to show they are a good team that can compete, yet the NFCW during that time had a 7-9 team go to the playoffs in the Seahawks during the Holmgren era, so there is that. It wasn't until Harbaugh that they became a 10+ win team, and this is with Marathe, who before produced less than 10 win teams. 

Just ask for 10 wins. Maybe not this season, but the next. If the 49ers win 10 games next season - because to ask for 10 wins when they barely won 2, and that is due to the Lambs being a better team on the W/L column than the 49ers, who if Kelley didn't get owned after the halftime adjustment, or had Gabbert as a starting QB could had won at least one more game than Tomsula - then by all means go and spend your hard earned money on swag or tix or anything. It would take the 49ers for they to win 10 games for me to watch them again after Jed pulled all his BS on the fanbase. Yet he still retains Marathe, who they told the fanbase he wasn't even involved with the team anymore after his BS, and now is still there in an even GREATER capacity. 

ETA: they justified running Harbaugh out of town because he produced ONLY 8 WINS his last season. Jeebus, 49er fan ain't that stupid. Unless you go over to the Webzone, and yes, they are lol. 

The truth about Harb's last season is, of course, that the team was on track for a playoff spot until Jed publically threw his coach under the bus after they lost against the eventual super bowl winning team at home.

That was the point where everybody knew that Harbaugh was gone. The team and the coaches didn't care anymore. So the correct record for that season is 7-5.

7-5 wasn't good enough for Jed!

Nothing I hate more this time of year than the stupid commentary on who "won" the off-season  :rolleyes: . The 49ers are going to be the doormat for the rest of the Division for the next 3-4 years at least. Yes, even the lowly RAMS will look like a good team two games a year. By the time they improve, their best player (HYDE) will be past his prime, and the GM and the Coach will be kicked out of town. They never should have let the best coach they had in 15 Years leave the building, especially in favor of a GM that was CLUELESS. 

I loved the press conference where the owner basically said "well you can't fire ME"...LOL. So typical of an silver spoon owner, who has done nothing to EARN his success unlike a Mara or a Craft. At least Jerry earned his $$$ in business. the 49er Owner turned his back on his fan base by moving to B.F.E., and has managed a crown jewel of a franchise into the ground. 

I'm so glad that I am a fan (and owner of 5 useless shares  :P ) of a team that is truly owned by their fans. GO PACK GO. I have said it before, until fans turn their back on their team when their owners miss-manage it (insert 49ers, Browns, Bungals, Bucs, Lions, Rams, Chargers here), they will never change until you stop filling their coffers with Gold. The truly loyal thing to do as a fan is to stay away from the stadium, watch at home and DON"T buy any team items till they EARN it. Look at the browns, they have a horrible product, and yet their stadium is full every week, and their crap is still flying of the shelves. Why should the Owner care if he has a bad product? He is still making a mint. Turn off the gold, and the king might actually listen to his fans. 

One of the problems with this franchise to it's fanbase: many want Eddie DeBartolo back. 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

His own hand picked GM in Carmen Policy is responsible for more Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Championships than 49er ones, lol. 

CHARLES HALEY ANYBODY? 

The reality is Bill Walsh is dead. 

Another reality: Bill Walsh found Jeff Garcia, the last 49er QB who went to the Pro Bowl. When they had it in Hawaii. He got there on a 6-10 team tossing for 31 TDs to 10 INTs for 4278 yards. 

Not any 49er QB - even Jim Harbauugh's, did that since. 

If this team can't find a quarterback - and they still haven't - it just means this: 

Bill Walsh is dead. 

ETA: realize that both Jed and Marathe possess ZERO qualities of Bill Walsh to even Walsh's organizational principles, which Marathe ****canned for his own. Even after Marathe tried to replicate Walsh's model a year later after John York ignoring Walsh for Donahue while all in the same freakin' building! 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nothing I hate more this time of year than the stupid commentary on who "won" the off-season  :rolleyes: . The 49ers are going to be the doormat for the rest of the Division for the next 3-4 years at least. Yes, even the lowly RAMS will look like a good team two games a year. By the time they improve, their best player (HYDE) will be past his prime, and the GM and the Coach will be kicked out of town. They never should have let the best coach they had in 15 Years leave the building, especially in favor of a GM that was CLUELESS. 

I loved the press conference where the owner basically said "well you can't fire ME"...LOL. So typical of an silver spoon owner, who has done nothing to EARN his success unlike a Mara or a Craft. At least Jerry earned his $$$ in business. the 49er Owner turned his back on his fan base by moving to B.F.E., and has managed a crown jewel of a franchise into the ground. 

I'm so glad that I am a fan (and owner of 5 useless shares  :P ) of a team that is truly owned by their fans. GO PACK GO. I have said it before, until fans turn their back on their team when their owners miss-manage it (insert 49ers, Browns, Bungals, Bucs, Lions, Rams, Chargers here), they will never change until you stop filling their coffers with Gold. The truly loyal thing to do as a fan is to stay away from the stadium, watch at home and DON"T buy any team items till they EARN it. Look at the browns, they have a horrible product, and yet their stadium is full every week, and their crap is still flying of the shelves. Why should the Owner care if he has a bad product? He is still making a mint. Turn off the gold, and the king might actually listen to his fans. 
EXACTLY

But another GM who happens to hold a top-10 pick -- John Lynch of the San Francisco 49ers -- believes this draft class of quarterbacks could be regarded too lightly.

"As I started to study these guys, I thought they were getting a bad rap," Lynch told NFL Network's Steve Wyche on Monday. "They each have reasons why maybe people think they shouldn't go (No.) 2. In Trubisky's case, he's only started 13 games, but you turn on the tape with each of them, and they have redeeming qualities that make you say, 'Wow, this guy would be a part of it,' so we're evaluating them and we'll continue to do so."

Lynch has already acknowledged that the 49ers need a quarterback of the future, and that Kizer made a strong impression on him at the NFL Scouting Combine during his interview with the club.

"One of the first things Kyle and I talked about (is) you've got to have a franchise quarterback. We know that, we're in search of it, and we're looking at every avenue to try and get that," Lynch added.
Dang Lynch, this is the second time now trying to talk up the drafts QBs in the press. Can you be any more transparent how badly you want to trade down out of the 2nd pick?

I think if I'm another team who was even thinking about trading up to there, this would probably set the expectation for me that I can lowball them in a trade.

Big problem is, with the depth in this draft, most of the teams are looking to trade down.  After Garrett, there is no obvious 2nd best player.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade out of #2, but they won't get anywhere near what the trade value chart says.  Closest would be if someone is secretly in love with Trubisky and wants to jump the Bears.  Bears signed Glennon, but only one year, so they may still be targeting a QB or at least be perceived as targeting one. 

If Jacksonville or Carolina wants Fournette or Thomas, they would make good trade partners since you would stay in the top 8.   If Jacksonville at 4, you might see SF trade down again. 

A lot of time for the draft games to play out.  Agree with GregR that Lynch is over the top on hyping the QBs, but I don't think it will impact any deal.  Pretty obvious that SF isn't taking a QB at 2 since Cousins will be in play next year. 

Last time SF had this high a pick was 2005 and they couldn't trade out that year either due to perceived lack of a top QB available or anyone one else who was considered the obvious best player in the draft.  Rodgers proved that theory wrong and 23 teams passed on him.  Will be interesting to see how teams truly value Trubisky and Watson as draft day approaches.

http://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-agree-to-terms-with-Saints-RB-Tim-Hightower-11043449.php

49ers bolstered their depth-starved backfield corps Saturday by agreeing to terms with Saints running back Tim Hightower, who had 1,252 total yards in a backup role the past two seasonsThe addition of Hightower, 30, was announced by general manager John Lynch on Twitter.’

Hightower is the latest free-agent addition with ties to head coach Kyle Shanahan. In 2011, Hightower played in Washington when Shanahan was the offensive coordinator and 49ers running backs coachBobby Turner was also on the staff. Wide receiver Pierre Garcon, quarterback Brian Hoyer, tight end Logan Paulsen and wideoutAldrick Robinson are other recent addition who previously played for Shanahan.

Hightower will add depth to a backfield that didn’t have proven options behind Carlos Hyde. Their other backups, DuJuan Harris,Mike Davis and Raheem Mostert, have combined for 704 career rushing yards.

A 2008 fifth-round pick, Hightower (6-foot, 220 pounds) has 4,185 career total yards and his 32 rushing touchdowns rank 19th among active players.

He had an unexpected career renaissance starting with the Saints in 2015. Prior to joining New Orleans, Hightower had spent the previous three seasons out of the NFL due to a torn ACL he sustained in 2011. Hightower’s rehabilitation from the injury was complicated by an infection.

Hightower had 923 rushing yards, averaged 4.0 yards a carry and added 34 receptions while backing up Mark Ingram the past two years.

Brock released after getting physical with his woman.  Seems kind of quick to pull the plug on one of your best players.  Her injuries were minor (what I read anyway) and there is sometimes a story behind the story.  Give the guy a chance to explain his side at least before you cut him loose. 

Brock released after getting physical with his woman.  Seems kind of quick to pull the plug on one of your best players.  Her injuries were minor (what I read anyway) and there is sometimes a story behind the story.  Give the guy a chance to explain his side at least before you cut him loose. 
Absolute certainly that they take Marshon Lattimore at 2 now.

Absolute certainly that they take Marshon Lattimore at 2 now.
I think it's still open for Solomon Thomas or a trade down. They drafted Redmond and Robinson last year and seem to like both. Also, cornerback is deep in this draft, should be some nice options at the start of round 2 and 3. Looking forward to see what Lynch and Shanahan do with this draft.

I think it's still open for Solomon Thomas or a trade down. They drafted Redmond and Robinson last year and seem to like both. Also, cornerback is deep in this draft, should be some nice options at the start of round 2 and 3. Looking forward to see what Lynch and Shanahan do with this draft.
Agree that losing Brock doesn't change the strategy with the 2nd pick. Lattimore is in play but he would have been regardless. 

Still hoping they get a solid offer to move down but still stay in the top 10 

I generally think sports teams as a general matter should wait for the legal process to play out, but where the evidence is so straightforward (see also Ray Rice, Bruce Miller), and the fact this behavior has run rampant on this team for far too long, it was absolutely the right move. 

I generally think sports teams as a general matter should wait for the legal process to play out, but where the evidence is so straightforward (see also Ray Rice, Bruce Miller), and the fact this behavior has run rampant on this team for far too long, it was absolutely the right move. 
Wasn't aware Brock has been a problem child in the past.  Makes a little more sense they made the move so quickly.  Seemed it took about 5 minutes to make the call.  Decisiveness appartently isn't lacking in the new regime. 

Their police blotter is pretty long over the past few years, and if anything they learned from the whole Aldon Smith debacles, is that it's better to cut loose than try to hide it and sweep it under the rug. 

Who would had thought the 49ers had a worse reputation than the Raiders? I think they take on the attitude of "What, me held accountable?" Jed. 

Latest buzz says Fournette. Personally I'm rooting for Fournette or Hooker at #2 if they don't move from the spot.
Fournette at 2?  Can't see it.  Can't see Hooker there either.  Mayock has him at 19. 

Adams or Thomas seem like awesome picks at 2... wouldn't you want one of them?

Four weeks ago the number two pick for the 49ers was supposed to be Reuben Foster and Leonard Fournette was not even a part of the full prognosis of 10 picks for the SF team.

Their police blotter is pretty long over the past few years, and if anything they learned from the whole Aldon Smith debacles, is that it's better to cut loose than try to hide it and sweep it under the rug.
I get it to a point, but I don't remember Brock having previous issues. Just seemed really fast with no opportunity to check out the whole story before releasing him. 

Guess Conley is off the board too? Never been in trouble before and witnesses saying he didn't do anything. Collins went from a 1st rounder to undrafted in 2015 because it was speculated he might have murdered his pregnant GF. No evidence and turns out he wasn't involved. Really wanted Balkke to grab him late. If you're gonna punish these guys, have some proof first. Hope they grab Conley if he free falls because I'm guessing he is guilty of nothing other than trying to get laid. Girls story seems to have a lot of holes. 1st round value in the 4th?  Yes please.  

Not looking for a team of criminals to root for, but hard to accumulate 53 talented choir boys. 

Assuming no trade, I think Lattimore is the pick. Pair him with Robinson and you have a nice CB tandom for the immediate future. I think Ward will be a better safety than he ever will be a corner. Adams and Hooker would be good picks but corner is a bigger need IMO. 

If Allens shoulder checked out, he would be my choice.  3 first round D lineman in a row, but they have to stop the run and he would be a big step toward doing that in addition to creating some inside pass rush.  

Still hoping Cleveland really does covet Trubisky and they end up making a deal with them.  Would love to see SF with the first two picks of day 2.  Could make a serious trade haul with those picks. 

I get it to a point, but I don't remember Brock having previous issues. Just seemed really fast with no opportunity to check out the whole story before releasing him. 

Guess Conley is off the board too? Never been in trouble before and witnesses saying he didn't do anything. Collins went from a 1st rounder to undrafted in 2015 because it was speculated he might have murdered his pregnant GF. No evidence and turns out he wasn't involved. Really wanted Balkke to grab him late. If you're gonna punish these guys, have some proof first. Hope they grab Conley if he free falls because I'm guessing he is guilty of nothing other than trying to get laid. Girls story seems to have a lot of holes. 1st round value in the 4th?  Yes please.  

Not looking for a team of criminals to root for, but hard to accumulate 53 talented choir boys. 
Well any domestic violence issue with a player is bad press in the Bay Area. I don't know much about Brock nor follow much about the team anymore. But they did have an issue with booze when it came to the players. I asked a couple of beat writers up there, one was Kevin Lynch, and the other was Matt Barrows about all the player arrests that had alcohol involved. I asked Lynch about it before I asked Barrows a few weeks later just to add some context, and they each told me that while not the whole team partied, there were a few that partied really hard and overall there was a bit of a party thing going on there. I mean the front office never punished Aldon Smith for his drinking arrests until it was way obvious he was out of control, and he had a DUI as a rookie. Choir boys no, but as image conscious as the franchise is - and I find a lot of the image they try to portray totally phony - you'd figure they would get a handle on it, and maybe they are now, but it's not a team of good character like they used to be. 

Again I don't follow the team much at all so I don't have much to say about the draft and prospects. Back in the day when I was at Niners Nation, I used to trip on how some members did mock drafts all day. Some revised their mocks several times out of the day lol. Then they have their final mock before the draft, and totally miss on every round and wind up wondering why the hell they drafted that player in that slot. That's way too much for me to try to think about. I just wanted them to draft a quarterback - even a serviceable one every draft to see who would hit - to which they still haven't done well at. 

Fournette at 2?  Can't see it.  Can't see Hooker there either.  Mayock has him at 19. 

Adams or Thomas seem like awesome picks at 2... wouldn't you want one of them?
Adams and Thomas are the media darlings but I don't get the love... Adams projects as a box safety and does not stand out physically... Just not unique enough of a prospect to warrant 2nd overall and not to mention they already have Reid. No thanks. Thomas sounds like a fun tweener kinda guy to have but they've already used 2 1st rd picks on tweenerish DL guys in Armstead and Buckner.

Never paid much attention to the pundits... my eyes tell me Fournette, Hooker, and OJ Howard are the "it" guys at the top of this draft.

Latest buzz says Fournette. Personally I'm rooting for Fournette or Hooker at #2 if they don't move from the spot.
Every mock shows Thomas there but I just don't see it.  From the outside looking in they seem to need a QB.  I think this is why Cleveland is bluffing about Trubisky with #1

Every mock shows Thomas there but I just don't see it.  From the outside looking in they seem to need a QB.  I think this is why Cleveland is bluffing about Trubisky with #1
They do need a QB but Cleveland bluffing with Trubisky at #1 is doing nothing but getting them excited about landing Garrett or the picks they could get if Garrett fell to #2. 

I think the Mitch and Fournett talk is simply draft week smokescreens trying to bait somebody into trading up for number two. Lynch has been pretty transparent in his desire to move down , and at least he's kicking all rocks trying to drive some demand for the second pick. Reminds me of the year we had the first overall we took Alex freaking Smith. There just isn't value at number two this year. I have been anti-Solomon for a long time as I hate investing 3 1s in a row in the DL when we have the worst offense west in the NFC.  Last team I remember doing that was the Rams and that didn't work out at all.

Hoping trade down.  

Guess id be ok with Fourn, but I don't buy the smokescreen there.  

Mans I realize I'm in the minority's with Watson as my top QB.  

Mans I realize I'm in the minority's with Watson as my top QB.  
Actually a lot of the talking heads like Watson as the first QB off the board.  Was watching NFL network this morning and 3 of the 4 preferred Watson over Trubisky.  One of them was Bucky Brooks.  Not that that matters but you do have some like thinkers in your corner.

Guessing one of the 2 safeties is the pick, but as strange as this sounds I could seem them surprising everyone and drafting McCaffrey. We will hear offensive weapon 1000 times over the next few months trying to justify the pick as getting someone who can handle return duties and play slot wr / rb. Of course this draft probably winds up "boring" and we take Thomas as most predicted. With Armstead getting work at LEO that would allow all three DL to play. Would have been nice to lose just one more last year. Thanks Chip!

Think most fans hope for a trade down but I get the sense they are stuck at 2. Everyone feels they won't draft QB so they really have no leverage. I think they should have hyped the #### out of Trubisky early on instead of the "we love everyone" approach.

Either way, excited for this year. Think this team is finally headed in the right direction.

What don't you fellas like about Thomas's game? 
It's not so much the player but rather the fact that he's the third consecutive DL they've selected in the first round. My guess is they don't see a long term future w/ either Armstead or Buckner. I would've much rathered they traded further down to nab Malik Hooker. We'll see, at the very least they now have more ammo to move back up into the first.

It's not so much the player but rather the fact that he's the third consecutive DL they've selected in the first round. My guess is they don't see a long term future w/ either Armstead or Buckner. I would've much rathered they traded further down to nab Malik Hooker. We'll see, at the very least they now have more ammo to move back up into the first.
I can understand this. I was leaning DB myself. I love the trade and I don't think Thomas is the type of player who will fail, though. Also happy that we avoided the QB nonsense this year. Successful 1st rd, IMO. 

I can understand this. I was leaning DB myself. I love the trade and I don't think Thomas is the type of player who will fail, though. Also happy that we avoided the QB nonsense this year. Successful 1st rd, IMO. 
Agreed. Think Rappaport just said that the niners are trying to trade back into the 1st so show's not over yet.

Users who are viewing this thread