What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

Foster and Bowman (and Smith) behind Armstead, Buckner, Solomon, and Lynch/Brooks.

not a bad offseason rebuilding the front 7.  

Now if only we could score....

Foster and Bowman (and Smith) behind Armstead, Buckner, Solomon, and Lynch/Brooks.

That is next year when Cousins signs with them. That is their master plan.

Ruben Foster!!!!  So happy!  Love this guy!
Amazing. When they made the deal with Seattle, it had to be Foster.  Best pick of first round. 

Nice haul for moving down one pick and great move to move back up to grab Foster. Good first day for the new regime.  Two early 3rds so maybe a move back into the mid 2nd if another impact player falls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall pretty happy... if both of these guys stay healthy and keep doing what they do, we're looking at 2 perennial pro bowlers... the 2 extra 3rd rounders are just gravy.

I think through day one, I'd call the 49ers the winners of the draft so far. Rebuilding the core of the defense, with potentially elite players, and fleecing the Bears out of a couple draft picks and still getting the guy they wanted.

DJ said if Foster's shoulder/s right, best pick of the draft.

Mayock compared his tape to Kuechly. Elsewhere suggested Lynch knows defense from TB and unsurprisingly building around that, may see Sapp and Brooks in Thomas and Foster.

* No link, but Lynch may have said if CHI had taken Thomas off the board at #2, SF would have taken Foster #3, which jibes with reports in the teens SF was one of two teams scrambling to trade up, with Foster thought to be the target.

Mayock compared his tape to Kuechly. Elsewhere suggested Lynch knows defense from TB and unsurprisingly building around that, may see Sapp and Brooks in Thomas and Foster.
I don't remember who it was, but i remember hearing Derrick Johnson, and thought that fit pretty well. Either outcome would obviously be great for San Fran.

DJ very explosive, broke the NCAA/FBS record for career FFs at Texas, went on to become 4 X Pro Bowler. 

I think through day one, I'd call the 49ers the winners of the draft so far. Rebuilding the core of the defense, with potentially elite players, and fleecing the Bears out of a couple draft picks and still getting the guy they wanted.
This

Yeah, they haven't scored consistently since the Super Bowl year when Kaep went nuts. Before that you have to go back to Garcia. Wake me up when they build a decent offense. 

Bob Magaw said:

* No link, but Lynch may have said if CHI had taken Thomas off the board at #2, SF would have taken Foster #3, which jibes with reports in the teens SF was one of two teams scrambling to trade up, with Foster thought to be the target.
Not sure I buy this at all.  SF could have traded up into the 2nd many times in the teens and had him.  And foster at 3??? no way.

Not sure I buy this at all.  SF could have traded up into the 2nd many times in the teens and had him.  And foster at 3??? no way.
I don't know, either, just passing along what Lynch said at the presser (he said *LIKELY*), as well as in-draft trade chatter. It does jibe with rumblings for the past month that SF may have valued him that high. If so, they got two of the top three players on their board. Foster may have dropped due to a shoulder question mark and/or character/off field red flags. 

This may not be all that different than last year, when JAX got Jalen Ramsey #5 and due to questions about Myles Jack's knee (squeaky clean character/off field-wise) causing him to tumble and free fall all the way out of day one, ended up with two players that, before Jack's medical questions, some scouts graded as among the top 2-3 overall talents in the draft at any position. So while situations like this are unusual, they do happen sometimes.

Not a fan, but feeling a Kizer picking round 2.  Sit for a year and learn.

Then read this on NFL.coms top remaining players.  Check the Shanahan comment at the end

http://www.nfl.com/m/draft/2017/profiles/deshonekizer/profile?id=2557983

DeShone Kizer - QB
Original rank: 33 | School: Notre Dame | Year:Redshirt junior. Had 23 starts after being redshirted in 2014. Didn't start Week 1 last fall vs. Texas, but entered in reserve and nearly brought Notre Dame back to win. Has tremendous upside, maybe more than any quarterback in this draft. Very good arm strength. Has quick release, but his accuracy needs improvement. Did not play as well in 2016 as he did in 2015, but that was due to a lack of talent around him after losing key weapons. Has talent and athletic ability. Needs time with top quarterback coach like Kyle Shanahan at San Francisco.

DING DING DING

Because they only play the Rams twice...
Hey, that's why we got Shanahan.  He's the next new hot offense of mind. Going to put some trust in him. And I loved the Lynch hire from the get-go, so far so good.  This hot mess is not going to be turned around in one draft.

I'm still hoping they pick up a RB this draft... too bad they have shown no interest (publicly) thusfar in Mixon, that kid can ball.

Curtis Samuel is another guy that looks like a potential game changer on offense.

If we had to get a QB early, I'd prefer Webb over Kizer.

I'm still hoping they pick up a RB this draft... too bad they have shown no interest (publicly) thusfar in Mixon, that kid can ball.

Curtis Samuel is another guy that looks like a potential game changer on offense.

If we had to get a QB early, I'd prefer Webb over Kizer.
I think they can wait a bit on RB. Hyde is very good, and Shanahan has done a lot with less. Hyde is a lot better than Alfred Morris ever was for instance.

Davis Webb is awful, like he must be the greatest interview ever, because he has almost zero on field skills. I think he's borderline draftable, maybe round 6-7. Greatly prefer Kizer or Peterman. Also I feel like Hoyer is pretty decent actually, Browns and Texans both got a lot worse at QB after dumping him, and Bears could as well.

As for the next couple picks. I think Awumie at CB would be nice, as would Garcia at T. 

I think they can wait a bit on RB. Hyde is very good, and Shanahan has done a lot with less. Hyde is a lot better than Alfred Morris ever was for instance.

Davis Webb is awful, like he must be the greatest interview ever, because he has almost zero on field skills. I think he's borderline draftable, maybe round 6-7. Greatly prefer Kizer or Peterman. Also I feel like Hoyer is pretty decent actually, Browns and Texans both got a lot worse at QB after dumping him, and Bears could as well.

As for the next couple picks. I think Awumie at CB would be nice, as would Garcia at T. 
Are we talking about the same guy here? Webb looks like he's got all the tools and seems deceptively mobile for his size. Granted I haven't watched him play a full game and these are all just highlight clips, but "zero on field skills" seems pretty harsh.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't come away w/ a RB in this class, there are some talented runners later in the draft. Hyde is fine, his problem is staying on the field and IMO he "predetermines" his runs too much and slams into the backs of his blockers. I'd like to see Shanahan employ a RB duo, possibly even using someone like Samuel in that role.

Good trade solid players but the third dliner in a row is not a good way of handling resources. This means you will -- at least -- let one first round pick walk after his rookie contract is up.

Hey, that's why we got Shanahan.  He's the next new hot offense of mind. Going to put some trust in him. And I loved the Lynch hire from the get-go, so far so good.  This hot mess is not going to be turned around in one draft.
Look at the 2006 draft and then see how well the team did even after Willis, Lawson, and Davis. To me, drafts are overrated. Baalke got Exec of the Year in 2011 and there is not one player left on the team after that draft. He was the GM until last season so he completely mismanaged his own draft picks after they were signed. Drafting is one thing. Finding a quarterback in this league is pretty much everything, because if you don't, you have Shaun Hill not being able to use Davis because Davis has to block while in a Mike Martz offense, to which that's the last time they ever try to shoehorn a passing offense in SF, which they still don't have, not even one that can beat a NCAA team. 

It's still a 2-14 team without a quarterback. If Lynch finds one, then he did something the two previous GM's didn't do. If he finds another Frank Gore, then he did what McBoozin' did. 

GM's as well as draft picks have to be graded over a few seasons. A good GM maintains a 10 win team consistently. A great GM builds a perennial playoff contender. 

If only they played the Rams ten games a season, and they might split that to 5-5 since they are still a 2 win team. 

Look at the 2006 draft and then see how well the team did even after Willis, Lawson, and Davis. To me, drafts are overrated. Baalke got Exec of the Year in 2011 and there is not one player left on the team after that draft. He was the GM until last season so he completely mismanaged his own draft picks after they were signed. Drafting is one thing. Finding a quarterback in this league is pretty much everything, because if you don't, you have Shaun Hill not being able to use Davis because Davis has to block while in a Mike Martz offense, to which that's the last time they ever try to shoehorn a passing offense in SF, which they still don't have, not even one that can beat a NCAA team. 

It's still a 2-14 team without a quarterback. If Lynch finds one, then he did something the two previous GM's didn't do. If he finds another Frank Gore, then he did what McBoozin' did. 

GM's as well as draft picks have to be graded over a few seasons. A good GM maintains a 10 win team consistently. A great GM builds a perennial playoff contender. 

If only they played the Rams ten games a season, and they might split that to 5-5 since they are still a 2 win team. 
Lol, most of your posts are one incoherent rant after another. Have got to be the most miserable ####### football fan I have ever come across. Why do you even pay attention anymore? You clearly hate everything about this team. Shut it down and stop raping this forum with your drunken stupidity. You have to be a closet Raider troll. Keep up the bad work Drummer.

• Smile
Reactions: mcd

I get what you're saying but this team was in the NFC championship 3yrs in a row and one play away from winning the SB w/ Alex Smith & Kaepernick at the helm. I think it's hyperbole to say that you're still a bottom of the barrel team w/o a QB... c'mon the Texans made the playoffs.

That said I do think it's too early to bust out the champagne, the niners have shown no ability to draft or develop a QB or WR in this millenium.

Good trade solid players but the third dliner in a row is not a good way of handling resources. This means you will -- at least -- let one first round pick walk after his rookie contract is up.
It means nothing. You can't have enough good d-linemen in this league. They will find room for all 3 of those guys. What player would you have taken instead? BPA was either safety or dline, both of which we have invested top picks in the last 5 years. 

Great draft on paper by Lynch thus far. 

I get what you're saying but this team was in the NFC championship 3yrs in a row and one play away from winning the SB w/ Alex Smith & Kaepernick at the helm. I think it's hyperbole to say that you're still a bottom of the barrel team w/o a QB... c'mon the Texans made the playoffs.

That said I do think it's too early to bust out the champagne, the niners have shown no ability to draft or develop a QB or WR in this millenium.
Jim Harbaugh doesn't grow on trees

Lol, most of your posts are one incoherent rant after another. Have got to be the most miserable ####### football fan I have ever come across. Why do you even pay attention anymore? You clearly hate everything about this team. Shut it down and stop raping this forum with your drunken stupidity. You have to be a closet Raider troll. Keep up the bad work Drummer.
I see you had to add an extra 0 to your alias to make it so unique. 

I think I am gonna read the Browns thread and feel their optimism and then bring that here for SF4o9erz

Are we talking about the same guy here? Webb looks like he's got all the tools and seems deceptively mobile for his size. Granted I haven't watched him play a full game and these are all just highlight clips, but "zero on field skills" seems pretty harsh.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't come away w/ a RB in this class, there are some talented runners later in the draft. Hyde is fine, his problem is staying on the field and IMO he "predetermines" his runs too much and slams into the backs of his blockers. I'd like to see Shanahan employ a RB duo, possibly even using someone like Samuel in that role.
Zero on field skills is hyperbole, but I think he's very comparable to Hackenburg, there is nothing about Webb's game that screams starting caliber to me. He isn't even remotely close to the talent Kizer is, or Peterman for that matter.

RB's can be had late for San Fran, get a guy like McNichols/McGuire in round 4 or Hill/Pumphrey in 5. Much bigger holes to fill, considering Hyde is arguably the best offensive weapon on the team.

Zero on field skills is hyperbole, but I think he's very comparable to Hackenburg, there is nothing about Webb's game that screams starting caliber to me. He isn't even remotely close to the talent Kizer is, or Peterman for that matter.

RB's can be had late for San Fran, get a guy like McNichols/McGuire in round 4 or Hill/Pumphrey in 5. Much bigger holes to fill, considering Hyde is arguably the best offensive weapon on the team.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, at the very least Webb's arm looks starting caliber to me... He makes every throw look effortless. Kizer feels a bit like a rich man's Geno Smith... and sorry but Peterman looks (and sounds like) a career backup.

Lol, because perpetual pessimism is so much fun! Keep sipping that sauce boss you may eventually start making sense.
How many wins did they have last year? 

One draft and the Kool Aid has them in the Super Bowl. 

That's Ninaz fan for you. 

If by hosed you mean "not dominant for a 5+ year stretch" then yea I can buy that.
Again, the "ten win" mark is first. Then another season of 10 wins or more. Steve Young talked about the ten win mark all the time. Hell, during his last few years he won games that without him they never should had won. Look at what happened when he got concussed. Boom, right in the tank. Lucky for them they still had Mooch and an offense already, and had Owens and Garcia putting up numbers that got them back into double digit wins. 

And it took them 8 seasons to get back to double digit wins, and that only lasted three seasons. 

Now, they are back to single and historic lows as a franchise. 

Draft day always brings fans like SF40Blinders who ditch threads like these when the team sucks donkey scrotum. It happens. They are the ones who thought Cerratto and Clark hit on draft day too. But back then they had more talent to cover their horrid drafts until the salary cap came into the league. That's if they are fans who know who Cerratto and Clark are. 

It's still a 2 win team without a QB, and draft picks still have to sign and make the roster, and then show if they can play in the NFL. 2011 you had Aldon Smith and Kaep IIRC at 1-2 in the draft. Where are they now?

Draft day washes away all the bruises from Seahawk fan kicking San Jose 49ers fans over the past few seasons lol. Seahawk fans. Who Raider fan used to kick around. 

Speaking of the Raiders, who are the better team now...

Where would I rather go see a game? Las Vegas? Or SANTA CLARA?

TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's still a 2 win team without a QB, and draft picks still have to sign and make the roster, and then show if they can play in the NFL. 2011 you had Aldon Smith and Kaep IIRC at 1-2 in the draft. Where are they now?
I don't think we disagree on the principle that it takes a franchise QB to have enduring success... but nevermind a QB, I'm just looking for them to spend some draft capital on offense period. A middling QB can still win with the right pieces around him. I mean just look at our boy Alex Smith in KC  :yucky:

I don't think we disagree on the principle that it takes a franchise QB to have enduring success... but nevermind a QB, I'm just looking for them to spend some draft capital on offense period. A middling QB can still win with the right pieces around him. I mean just look at our boy Alex Smith in KC  :yucky:
Well, I don't think KC makes the mistake SF did for years trying to build around Smith - although they do pin their postseason hopes with him and good luck with that - but defense and a run game to me a good place to start, and then at least go find a serviceable QB or two, but a passing game still has to have some impact in a game with big plays or the threat of opening up, and if you don't have any WR's or threats with that serviceable QB, then you better stack your defensive roster since their gonna be on the field all game long. 

I have never seen a more horrid offense in the few games I caught watching the 49ers last season. 49er offenses I mean, even worse than Hostler's. Historically, the 49ers used to be an offense first team that had good to great ones throughout franchise history. For they to abandon it really stems from IMO having people like Marathe involved with the roster and team philosophy. Even with Harbaugh they weren't a passing team. The last good passing offense again was with Garcia/Owens. But they still had an offense based then on the WCO. Since it's been a mashup of Coryell and then Harbaugh/Scembechler to whatever the hell Tomsula and Kelley had. They need to find a base offense, and stick with it, and build accordingly. Having a QB or two who can steep themselves in it and at least make plays in it is kinda of important for that to happen

Some things never change in the 49er thread. And by some things, I mean one thing. It gives new meaning to the term "broken record".

Y

A

W

N

If you listen to some people, theyll say anyone who feels optimistic or excited about the draft so far is an idiot. If you listen to people who critique drafts for a living and get paid to do it, youll see they pretty much agree that SF got straight A's across the board on day one.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/How-Experts-Graded-the-49ers-First-Round-Draft-Picks/cf5aa7a8-778c-4265-b797-741d6ea61a5c

This means nothing unless the picks pan out of course, but it shows that the new SF regime isnt screwing the pooch up to this point. Let the naysayers cry in their milk, we dont need them anyway.

Oh, and spoiler alert: Ancient history has no bearing on what happens in the future, even though some believe it does. :lol:

Wingnut said:
If you listen to some people, theyll say anyone who feels optimistic or excited about the draft so far is an idiot. If you listen to people who critique drafts for a living and get paid to do it, youll see they pretty much agree that SF got straight A's across the board on day one.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/How-Experts-Graded-the-49ers-First-Round-Draft-Picks/cf5aa7a8-778c-4265-b797-741d6ea61a5c

This means nothing unless the picks pan out of course, but it shows that the new SF regime isnt screwing the pooch up to this point. Let the naysayers cry in their milk, we dont need them anyway.

Oh, and spoiler alert: Ancient history has no bearing on what happens in the future, even though some believe it does. :lol:
This organization blows. But I don't fault you for trying to be positive. Just don't be delusional. 

Users who are viewing this thread