What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

I think it was Foster himself who made the "What shoulder" quote...
Looked it up. It was Jeff Ferguson, who is their "main medical officer" who gave the "what shoulder" comment. Hope he isn't the same guy who thought Marcus Lattimores knee was A OK. 

Foster says he is progressing on schedule. We will see I guess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, wanting the team to get 'back on track and fun to watch" hardly equates to reviving a "dynasty".  I am quite aware that a 20 year run of success is a rare thing.

That said, past doesn't dictate future.  Harbaugh situation has nothing to do with new regime.  I know the Harbaugh is god crowd refuses to believe that anybody could ever replace their messiah, but let's give it 2-3 years for the new regime before we proclaim that fact.
Come on, ya gotta give Harbaugh credit here. Even I, one of the most skeptical and cynical persons who didn't believe he could win with Alex Smith won with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick in the same season, and took that team to the Super Bowl. There are only three other head coaches to have led the team to a NFCC game since 1970: **** Nolan, Bill Walsh. George Seifert, and Harbaugh. That's it only four of them. Three out out of those four led the team to a Super Bowl, two of them winning more that one, the sole one to lose was Harbaugh, and he had a QB switch midseason that also had a major change on offensive strategy. The one head coach left out of this who led the team to the playoffs since 1970 was Mooch. 

What Walsh and McVay brought was a blueprint as far as organization and management of a football team that has proven wildly successful not only for the 49ers, but other franchises who have been exposed to Walsh's organizational model and principles that many from his coaching tree have used and still do, like Pete Carroll for instance. Even in the day of the salary cap, which Walsh himself struggled with his second time around as GM. The 49ers had abandoned all that for whatever John York, Terry Donahue, and Marathe came up with, and they left that in the lap of Mike Nolan, who had to fight with Marathe over front office power even back then, and Nolan had no clue of how to run a football team much less coach one since that was his first and only gig as a head coach. They just flat out ignored everything Walsh. But so did Carmen Policy IMO in his latter years as GM. 

Hell, they should had at least tried to bottle the lightning Harbaugh brought to them, but they didn't believe it was he with the magic, it was they who had it, and they gave the long suffering fans a guy who looks like he sweats all over the couch if you had him over for dinner, and then fart at the table in Tomsula. Then they fire him for Chip Kelley, and they barely manage to win 2 games against a team with zero offense, and won the second game just barely when the Rams were on the interim head coach. 

Sure one can put faith in a guy who says he wants to win all the time - Jed - but if he doesn't know how to do it, why still rely on one who doesn't either in Marathe? The is more to being a GM than draft day or free agency. You have to create an organizational construct that remains consistent and has a core mission and philosophy. That construct has to win too. If it doesn't and you are firing head coaches because they can't win with what they are working under, then the roster really is either being wasted, or it isn't constructed accordingly, or maybe that head coach was a bad idea. When you are on your third head coach in consecutive seasons, you are pretty much a laughing stock failure as a football organization, and when you fire a head coach that wins everywhere he goes and wind up a 2 win team, I dunno why anyone would think that "this time she is going to notice me, and she will fall in love with me, and we will live happily ever after!" believing another York fairy tale. 

I give Harbaugh a ton of credit for what the team accomplished in those 3 years. Gave the team an identity, took a QB in Smith who had lost all confidence and almost made it to the super bowl. Made a gutsy call the next year and replaced Smith mid season and almost won a super bowl.  Well Organized, and he hired a mostly top notch staff. Excellent coach in most aspects. 

But there were some really obvious bad decisions made that cost them chances to advance to the super bowl in 2011 and 2013 and win it in 2012.  Keeping Kyle Williams back returning punts in 2011 NFC championship game after he had already botched one.  It was so obvious he was shaken. Everyone watching the game at my house that day was yelling for him to just fair catch it.  Giants talked after game about how they knew that could force a turnover from him.  I remember when Famous Amos Lawrence fumbled the opening kick off in the 81 super bowl. Didn't return a kick the rest of the game. Walsh knew not to #### around in the big game. Failing to run the ball at the end of the super bowl even though the Ravens best run defender was out of the game.  Instead they called fade patterns. Roman got the blame after but as head coach and supposed offensive guru, Harbaugh should have been the one making those calls.  Same thing in 2013 NFC championship game.  12 yards away from moving on and they call a fade pattern against probably the best CB in football on first down?  INT and game over.  Again, Roman takes the blame.  Those are just a few examples of bad head coach decisions. The difference between a chance at winning multiple Super Bowls or not winning them. 

As a fan, I appreciated what he accomplished, but thought he was a bit of a Teflon man.  Nothing ever his fault.  Bad play calling by Roman.  Balkke drafting the wrong players. York and Balkke undermining him, leading to the 8-8 season his last year.  The ultimate alpha male who seemed to let others make the decisions at crucial times?  Not buying it.  Unfortunate ending but probably the best thing for him.  Team was in downward spiral and while they would have won a game or two more with Harbaugh, they had fallen so far behind Seattle at that point.  Bowman hurt, Willis hurt, Cowboy getting ready to retire, Smith suspended, McDonald beating women, Kaepernick regressing, Gore getting older, Bam losing his mind and retiring,  Iupati gone,  poor drafts in 2012 and 2013 so nobody to replace them.  Writing was on the wall.  I don't think he wanted to be there anymore. Michigan beckoned and a chance to work with young people who idolize him. Nothing wrong with taking that opportunity but don't act like you wanted to stay and were forced out.  

As far as having faith in Jed, not at all.  I am encouraged by the Lynch/Shanahan hires however. Considering the retreads he could have hired, I liked the fact he took a chance on Lynch, although that was more Shanahans guy than Yorks.  At least it showed he would listen to a real football guy. After the Tomsula debacle and the failed Kelly experiment, I am excited about the new guys.  Seems everyone is working together which is a big step.  Hopefully, they can build a winning culture and bring some excitement back.  I like their chances anyway.  

Sounds like theyre ready to do the smart thing :thumbup:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article148611514.html

49ers’ Shanahan: in worst-case scenario, Reuben Foster misses rookie year

SANTA CLARA

Addressing a report that some teams didn't think Reuben Foster's surgically repaired shoulder will hold up in 2017, Kyle Shanahan on Thursday acknowledged a "worst-case scenario" in which the linebacker has a second surgery that scuttles his rookie year.

“The worst-case scenario is that the shoulder doesn’t heal correctly and you’ve got to do it again,” the 49ers coach said on KNBR radio. “And then you have to do it again, you have to get another surgery. It would be tough to play this year, and you end up having him the next year."

“But it’s not something that would hurt him long-term," Shanahan said. "So the worst-case scenario, he wouldn’t end up being able to play for us right away. But I still don’t think that would have changed how I personally felt about taking a guy with the 31st pick with the caliber of player that we took.”

On Wednesday an ESPN report cited sources that worried the offseason surgery Foster had to repair a torn rotator cuff “didn't take.”

Shanahan said the 49ers team doctors had a different assessment of the shoulder -- it was healing properly.

“They thought it was recovering well," he said. "They didn’t have the same report a lot of other teams did. You never know who is going to end up being right. Everyone is trying to do their best to figure it out. But no one can tell the future. I just look at it as -- you go with what your doctors say.”

Dude... the team was at 7-5 when Jed publically threw his coach under the bus. 7-5.
And?

They had won 3 straight close games against sub .500 teams (Saints 7-9, Giants 6-10 and Redskins 4-12) to get to 7-4. They had been humiliated by the only two truly good teams they had played (Arizona and Denver) and lost to two bad teams in the Bears and Rams. They get dominated at home by Seattle to go to 7-5. Not like they were rolling before the York twitter incident. Oakland loss was similar to the Bears game in week 2. They just fell apart. Nothing that hadn't happened before that season. Losses to Seattle in Seattle and to a 9-7 Charger team can't be blamed on Harbaugh getting his feelings hurt. They competed both games. Played an excellent defensive game against Seattle but couldn't score and then the opposite against SD. 

I get no joy out of saying it, but the team was going downhill for a multitude of reasons in 2014. Good win in the opener against Dallas because of a big first half. Only other wins against .500 teams or better (not counting the meaningless Tomsula win in week 17 against the Cardinals) were against the 10-6 Eagles and the 9-7 Chiefs, neither of which were exceptional teams. 

They didn't miss the playoffs because York threw Harbaugh under the bus.  They missed the playoffs because they couldn't score points. In weeks 7-15, they averaged less than 14 points a game and just over 19 a game for the season. They had 2 4th quarter TDs the entire year. Defense overall was good considering Bowman missed the entire year and Willis over half of it. 

They became an average team in 2014 heading in the wrong direction. Losing Harbaugh added to the problem but 2015 wouldn't have been a good season regardless.  

That team had two locker rooms; of course there was something wrong. Marathe/Jed and their puppet (Baalke) had undermined the team. Half of the team just didn't give a ####.

zugschef said:
That team had two locker rooms; of course there was something wrong. Marathe/Jed and their puppet (Baalke) had undermined the team. Half of the team just didn't give a ####.
Disagree about the half the team not caring.  They were just a bad offensive team and on the verge of losing half of their defense to injury, suspension and retirement.  Unfortunately, it was the good half.  Team was on a downward spiral.  Regardless of who's fault that was, it's a fact.  They didn't lose 3 in a row because Harbaugh got undermined.  They lost because they played erratically like they did virtually the entire season.

Jed's a dweeb, I get it.  Don't blame Harbaugh for leaving considering the state of the team and what was on the table for him.  I just thought him coming out afterward and saying he really wanted to stay was weak.  He wanted out.  Just say that or say nothing.  Harbaugh is just one of those guys who can't let things drop.  Most coaches would have left and just let  people assume what was obvious.  Not much disputing that Harbaugh is a little bit of an odd bird.  Loves being in the spotlight, positive or negative.

I won't disagree with you on Harbaugh's personality and yes, injuries to two of the best linebackers of their generation were a big issue, too. But a substantial part of the team definitely didn't care anymore that season.

Why would you have a divided locker room if the team was still hungry for wins? Remember Boone's interview right after Harbaugh left: he thought that Harbaugh wanted too much and worked them too hard. This dude definitely didn't put in the work Harbaugh wanted him to. And I'm absolutely sure the other guys of his locker room had similar feelings.

So don't take that away from Jed and Marathe: they wanted Harbaugh gone because he wouldn't bend over and open his butt. Instead he got all the credit for turning the franchise around. He wouldn't reduce his coaching staff which was the most expensive in the league at the time. You can bet your house on Marathe having a spreadsheet which tells him and Jed which coaches to keep. Because that's maratheball: spreadsheets. For everything. Everything but Jed's and Marathe's "success" running a football franchise from a sportive point of view.

I won't disagree with you on Harbaugh's personality and yes, injuries to two of the best linebackers of their generation were a big issue, too. But a substantial part of the team definitely didn't care anymore that season.

Why would you have a divided locker room if the team was still hungry for wins? Remember Boone's interview right after Harbaugh left: he thought that Harbaugh wanted too much and worked them too hard. This dude definitely didn't put in the work Harbaugh wanted him to. And I'm absolutely sure the other guys of his locker room had similar feelings.

So don't take that away from Jed and Marathe: they wanted Harbaugh gone because he wouldn't bend over and open his butt. Instead he got all the credit for turning the franchise around. He wouldn't reduce his coaching staff which was the most expensive in the league at the time. You can bet your house on Marathe having a spreadsheet which tells him and Jed which coaches to keep. Because that's maratheball: spreadsheets. For everything. Everything but Jed's and Marathe's "success" running a football franchise from a sportive point of view.
I'm sure their were others beside Boone who were under motivated or just got sick of the coach.  That's pretty normal when you have 53 guys on a team.  Harbaugh was very rah rah, which was refreshing at first but wore on some people after 4 years. That's why guys like Boone never reach their full potential.  Good enough is good enough for them.  I just don't equate that to Harbaugh being undermined by ownership, which is what was being discussed.  Not many coaches, even great ones who can keep everyone happy.

Some people just can't work together no matter how much success they have on the field.  Jerry Jones ####ed up something truly special in Dallas (thank god) because he was jealous of the credit Jimmy Johnson got.  Wanted to prove he could win without him.  They did win another title, but the end result was bad.  Christ, Bill Walsh retired because of his relationship with Eddie D.  His one big regret he said.  Rumor was Montana was glad he retired.  Felt Walsh demanded too much.  Don Shula got traded from the Colts to the Dolphins for a 1st rounder.  Joe Robbie called it his greatest trade ever. I don't know the specifics of why they would let Shula go, but I assume it wasn't because they thought they could win more titles with him.

Both sides wanted out in this case. It happens. 

Interesting stuff on beathard here. I came in just to see what the 49er fans think happen at qb. Does barkley have a chance to start? 

Sucks about foster. Kid has a bright future if he gets that fixed. 

-OZ- said:
Interesting stuff on beathard here. I came in just to see what the 49er fans think happen at qb. Does barkley have a chance to start? 
Think it would take a Hoyer injury for Barkley to get any starts this year.  Or Hoyer to just totally suck, which is a possibility too. 

I still think Cousins is the plan for 2018

I feel bad for 49ers fans. The ownership and leadership of the organization is pathetic with no end in sight. 

You're a ####ty troll.  Sorry Da Bears got raped and sodomized by this franchise.  Go on back to your thread and act like an idiot there.
Yeah, the little guy has been kind of grumpy since Lynch worked his boy Pace on draft day. I can only imagine the kind of deal they could have gotten if they weren't so "pathetic". Lol

I get it though. When you're on a football website 24/7,  it's probably difficult to stay in your own teams thread. Got to venture out a bit. 

And?

They had won 3 straight close games against sub .500 teams (Saints 7-9, Giants 6-10 and Redskins 4-12) to get to 7-4. They had been humiliated by the only two truly good teams they had played (Arizona and Denver) and lost to two bad teams in the Bears and Rams. They get dominated at home by Seattle to go to 7-5. Not like they were rolling before the York twitter incident. Oakland loss was similar to the Bears game in week 2. They just fell apart. Nothing that hadn't happened before that season. Losses to Seattle in Seattle and to a 9-7 Charger team can't be blamed on Harbaugh getting his feelings hurt. They competed both games. Played an excellent defensive game against Seattle but couldn't score and then the opposite against SD. 

I get no joy out of saying it, but the team was going downhill for a multitude of reasons in 2014. Good win in the opener against Dallas because of a big first half. Only other wins against .500 teams or better (not counting the meaningless Tomsula win in week 17 against the Cardinals) were against the 10-6 Eagles and the 9-7 Chiefs, neither of which were exceptional teams. 

They didn't miss the playoffs because York threw Harbaugh under the bus.  They missed the playoffs because they couldn't score points. In weeks 7-15, they averaged less than 14 points a game and just over 19 a game for the season. They had 2 4th quarter TDs the entire year. Defense overall was good considering Bowman missed the entire year and Willis over half of it. 

They became an average team in 2014 heading in the wrong direction. Losing Harbaugh added to the problem but 2015 wouldn't have been a good season regardless.  
They were gonna trade Harbaugh to CLE before the season started. Most of talent left after Harbaugh did voluntarily. They lost more games the next consecutive seasons. Harbaugh went on to resurrect Michigan and did. The team didnt give up on Harbaugh. They gave up on Jed and Marathe because they were gonna trade Harbaugh to CLE

Disagree about the half the team not caring.  They were just a bad offensive team and on the verge of losing half of their defense to injury, suspension and retirement.  Unfortunately, it was the good half.  Team was on a downward spiral.  Regardless of who's fault that was, it's a fact.  They didn't lose 3 in a row because Harbaugh got undermined.  They lost because they played erratically like they did virtually the entire season.

Jed's a dweeb, I get it.  Don't blame Harbaugh for leaving considering the state of the team and what was on the table for him.  I just thought him coming out afterward and saying he really wanted to stay was weak.  He wanted out.  Just say that or say nothing.  Harbaugh is just one of those guys who can't let things drop.  Most coaches would have left and just let  people assume what was obvious.  Not much disputing that Harbaugh is a little bit of an odd bird.  Loves being in the spotlight, positive or negative.
Bill Parcells was a ##### too, and Bill Walsh had a looong memenry too and wasn't a congenial as he looked either. But they won games. A coaches #1 job is to win games period. Because it adds value to the franchise and it puts butts in the seats. Because they win games. Harbaugh never had them at sub .500. They won less games in consecutive seasons with two head coaches than Harbaugh did his last one there, and the offense and defense got worse to the point of all time historic lows. 

Last years team was the worst in franchise history according to many metrics. And we are talking since 1946. 

There is no way anyone can spin this like Sean Spicer. Harbauigh wasn't there for that team being one of the worst in the NFL the past two years. If anything he is the anomaly to all that dysfunction in the front office. For he to win with that ownership is something no one else did since Mooch, and they fired him too. 

You're a ####ty troll.  Sorry Da Bears got raped and sodomized by this franchise.  Go on back to your thread and act like an idiot there.
The Bears have nothing to do with the 49ers being a dysfunctional laughingstock who create their own demise by firing head coaches who take them to the playoffs. 

The 49ers of '04 were a better team than the one from last year and I've always felt like the 0-16 Lions would've wiped the floor with that joke of a football team.

Until they field a winner there is absolutely no reason to be optimistic for this franchise as long as Jed and Marathe are involved. Actually it's a very real possibility that being too successful would eventually be Lynch's/Shanahan's undoing.

No doubt Foster has talent. Why jeopardize his career just to put him on the field now. Let him sit this year, not like we're really SB contenders, and let his talent start to shine next year and hopefully many years. Don't ruin the kid!!

No doubt Foster has talent. Why jeopardize his career just to put him on the field now. Let him sit this year, not like we're really SB contenders, and let his talent start to shine next year and hopefully many years. Don't ruin the kid!!
I agree if the surgery didn't take and he is not ready to go. Hopefully, that isn't the case and he can play right away. Needs to be on the field now to get better. 

Will be interesting to see the Hyde/Williams split this year. Maybe Hyde can stay healthy with 12-14 carries a game. 

I can only speak as an outsider, but I was really impressed with the new SF braintrust's performance on draft weekend.

Then I read those two behind-the-scenes MMQB articles and...I think SF got really lucky and were saved from outsmarting themselves a couple times, while revealing some head-scratching things about their process. So now I don't know what to think other than that fate lined up perfectly for them, and that their draft could have gone a lot worse if the Bears hadn't made the decision they did.

Before I say anything else negative, I want to point out that as a fan of a(nother?) disorganized, drama-filled, toxic franchise in the Redskins, one enormous positive I took from these articles was the relationship and good feelings between Shanahan and Lynch, and to a lesser degree Marathe. That, even above their ability to identify talent and build a roster in the future, might be the most important factor in whether they succeed as a group or not. They clearly were all on the same page and comfortable with the division of power in the FO. There was plenty of push and pull in the decision-making, but it seems like a group that respects each other and can work together. We'll see what happens when hardship hits, but that seems like a good sign.

Back to the "bad" things I saw in the article...everyone knows they just lucked into the Bears wanting to pay a lot to make sure they got their guy (which I don't hold against the 49ers, they took advantage and Lynch even had the instincts to demand more in the trade and get it). But they were one Bears decision away (Trubisky over Solomon Thomas) from taking a guy at #3 who fell all the way to the end of the 1st in reality (Foster). They would have taken Foster at #3 if they had to, and that's gotta be kinda scary for you guys, no? 

Then there was a segment of the article where the group was discussing eventualities if they had an opportunity to trade back from #3 to the teens, and what if all "their guys" were gone (we know now that Foster would not have been, but it doesn't matter, it was all hypothetical), what would they do? And the day of the draft, they didn't have a plan. They couldn't agree on Jarrad Davis, Kevin King, etc. in that spot from what the article showed. Now it didn't end up mattering, and the article may not have covered the entire conversation...but the day of the draft, shouldn't the board be totally set? Shouldn't they just be able to glance aside at the board and say "if all our favorites are gone, this is the guy we have ranked next"? That would kinda worry me if I were a fan, but maybe I'm overreacting and don't have all the info. Seems disorganized in that regard though.

And then the thing with Shanahan talking Lynch into doing his due diligence on Joe Williams and taking him despite him being "off their board" before draft day...with the RB coach being in contact with him all throughout the process and Shanahan knowing he was high on him, shouldn't the 49ers have talked to the kid themselves and gotten the story long ago?? Like, before taking him off their board entirely without a face to face, or without the exact phone conversation that Lynch ended up having with him the morning they drafted him? That conversation/research could have taken place at any time before that day, and he wouldn't have been off their draft board in the first place. That whole sequence struck me as really odd. That's not doing your due diligence. 

Anyways, I'm just a fellow fan of a different team that has a dysfunctional past and present, and I thought I'd give my opinion on those (awesome) articles about your draft weekend and new HC/GM combo (especially since I have an interest in how Shanahan does for himself, as a former (controversial) Redskins OC).

Not meaning to #### on your guys at all, I know my team has its own arguably worse issues to pick at, and overall I've really liked your offseason. The articles I referenced just gave us a cool inside look is all, and I wanted to get your thoughts on my concerns, if they interest you.

I have stated several times that if they had truly planned on taking Foster at 3 if Thomas was gone, there was a huge disconnect. 

That said, I don't truly believe the "we were comfortable taking Foster at 3" talk.  Whether it was to build Foster up after his big drop (most probable) or just trying to get fans excited about the draft (secondary), I think it was PR.  Foster at 3 made no sense even though I love the guy assuming he is healthy.  Just wouldn't have been a smart move regardless if healthy.  If the Bears had taken Thomas, I think they would have been able to make another trade with Trubisky still on the board.

Same thing with Williams story.  Not sure how true that is.  Agree that if true, seems really chaotic to be doing those things on draft day, but again, seems like talk to get across to the fan base that they are working together and no one person has total autonomy like in the past regime.  Even Lynch's build up of Marthe's role in the Bears trade seemed like an effort to create some positive buzz on him.  Conspicuous by his absence in all of this was Adam Peters, who I suspect had the biggest role in the actual selections.

Draft day is a big hustle.  Hard to separate fact from fiction.  Hopefully, the end result matches the paper grade. 

I'm not sure if you read the stories I was referencing, but the stuff about Foster and Williams were direct quotes from Lynch/Shanahan. Peter King isn't getting that kind of direct access and misquoting anybody or lying in his story. That's what makes the info gained from them so interesting, it's a level of access almost no fanbases have to their teams. 

I'm not sure if you read the stories I was referencing, but the stuff about Foster and Williams were direct quotes from Lynch/Shanahan. Peter King isn't getting that kind of direct access and misquoting anybody or lying in his story. That's what makes the info gained from them so interesting, it's a level of access almost no fanbases have to their teams. 
Didn't say King was lying. I think it's more of Lynch and Shanahan embellishing. Saying Foster would have been a comfortable pick at 3 isn't something that can be contradicted by anyone other than the immediate circle but doesn't mean it is the truth. Foster fell and maybe this was a way to prop him up and get the fan base excited that they got 2 of their top 3 guys.  Really hard for me to believe they would have passed on Adams, Lattimore, Trubisky or 10-12 other guys to take Foster at 3. If so, kind of scary. 

The Williams spin made for a nice story but was it true?  Did Lynch really have him off the board until right before they took him?  It made for a good storyline though. 

Nothing's bothering me more than Marathe's close involvement. I had hoped he'd only set up contracts but no...

Foster at #3 would've been insane; with that attitude and injury you just can't take a guy that high. But to say "he dropped that far, they would've reached!" is a bit unfair. Brady went in round six and as we know now should've been the #1 overall that year.

My personal problem with Foster is that expect him to be suspended at least once during his rookie contract.

As for Hyde it wouldn't surprise me if Williams, Hightower and Breida had better camps than him. And I don't think they keep more than three true rbs.

Just don't see Hyde losing reps much less a roster spot to a 31 year old journeyman and an Undrafted rookie.  I know he has had injury issues but hard to deny his talent. 

Didn't say King was lying. I think it's more of Lynch and Shanahan embellishing. Saying Foster would have been a comfortable pick at 3 isn't something that can be contradicted by anyone other than the immediate circle but doesn't mean it is the truth. Foster fell and maybe this was a way to prop him up and get the fan base excited that they got 2 of their top 3 guys.  Really hard for me to believe they would have passed on Adams, Lattimore, Trubisky or 10-12 other guys to take Foster at 3. If so, kind of scary. 

The Williams spin made for a nice story but was it true?  Did Lynch really have him off the board until right before they took him?  It made for a good storyline though. 

There's nothing to embellish. It was all in real time, not relayed to King after the fact. He was there with them the entire time, embedded. The day of round 1, before the draft started, they were fine with Foster at #3, if the Bears were trading up for Solomon Thomas. 

Same with the Williams stuff. King was with them during these conversations, before they ever drafted him. He saw their board in the draft room after round 3 that night, and Williams wasn't on it or the position-specific RB board. 

I guess I have to ask, again: did you read the articles I'm talking about, or just the commentary and beat reports they led to later? It's all very clear in the two MMQB stories, and quotes are attributed to the people who said them as it was all going down. They didn't just relay it to King after the fact. 

I looked at the articles.  About an hour into the draft, Lynch says (paraphrase) "I would love to jump up to grab Lattimore".  So they would have taken Foster at 3 but Lynch was talking about moving up to grab Lattimore too?  The article also says "possible/probable" for Foster if Thomas had been off the board.  Leads me to believe there was nothing definite about Foster going if Thomas was taken by Chicago.

I agree, it seems kind of flaky to not have a definite plan in place there, but at the same time, not exactly rocket science at 3 to where you would have to have the two guys you wanted written down.  If they were willing to move from 3, all the way to 12, they obviously didn't value one player greatly over another. Same with Williams.  If Shanahan coveted him that much, not having his name written on a board doesn't take him out of play,  Maybe they thought King might tweet something out that Williams was in play.  LOL

6th round pick
Every single team in the NFL, regardless of what they have at RB should jump on that. Hyde is one of the 10 best runners in the NFL, been in the top-5 of PFF's elusive rating and top-10 in adjusted yards per carry over the last two seasons. 49ers would be stupid to trade him, he's arguably the best player on their entire offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000815429/article/niners-ot-joe-staley-im-enjoying-football-again

Niners OT Joe Staley: 'I'm enjoying football again'

San Francisco's Joe Staley remembers when football used to be a rollicking good time for the 49ers.

The veteran tackle is one of the last remaining players left over from the Jim Harbaugh-led group that came within a completed pass of winning the Super Bowl.

It's all been downhill from there -- until now.

"I haven't felt like this in a long time," Staley said Wednesday, when asked about the effect new coach Kyle Shanahan is having on the team, per ESPN's Nick Wagoner. "This might sound kind of bad but I'm enjoying football again. Excited to come to work every single day. The last couple years there were days where I couldn't honestly say that. So that's awesome to have that feeling back. I'm really, really excited about the new staff. Kyle is by far one of the most intelligent coaches that I've worked with."

We post this not for the update on Staley's workplace satisfaction, but to point out the effect Shanahan is having on a franchise that was reduced to a flaming disaster by the end of 2016.

Players have warmed up quickly to their new coach, with Wagoner noting that "they marvel at Shanahan's ability to explain the exact responsibilities of players on both sides of the ball on every play and the attention to detail that allows him to explain why every player matters on any given call."

"One of the coolest things, I thought, is when we have our team meetings Kyle puts up plays and he explains them both from an offensive perspective and a defensive perspective," said quarterback Brian Hoyer. "So, I sit next to Dekoda Watson and he's like, 'Man, I never even knew half of this stuff, like who has got a certain gap and how we're trying to affect that gap.' I think that's one of the great things about Kyle as a coach, is that he is able to break it down to the simplest level, whereas I think a lot of times in this league that people bypass that and they just want to tell you, 'Just do this.'"

Hoyer, of course, has past experience with Shanahan. The two worked together in Cleveland, where the coach maximized Hoyer's skill set to help the Browns forge a surprising 7-4 record before the team imploded.

Shanahan has also made the most of Robert Griffin III, Matt Schaub, Kirk Cousins and, most recently, Matt Ryan. While he came into the league known as the son of Mike Shanahan, Kyle today is seen as one of the finest in-game play-callers league-wide.

His players in San Francisco, so far, are comprehensively buying in.

Yeah, some real optimism moving forward. A nice change.

A lot of "if's" at this point, but I like the look of the new defense.  Thomas, Buckner and Foster all have potential to be upper tier players along the front 7.  Robinson seems to have all the physical tools and the attitude to be a shut down corner.  Like the Ward move to safety.  If Witherspoon and Redmond end up being B type players, the secondary would be solid as well.  A lot to look forward to anyway on the defensive side.

Offensively, not so much.  Lot of work to do on that side of the ball talent wise.

Yeah, some real optimism moving forward. A nice change.

A lot of "if's" at this point, but I like the look of the new defense.  Thomas, Buckner and Foster all have potential to be upper tier players along the front 7.  Robinson seems to have all the physical tools and the attitude to be a shut down corner.  Like the Ward move to safety.  If Witherspoon and Redmond end up being B type players, the secondary would be solid as well.  A lot to look forward to anyway on the defensive side.

Offensively, not so much.  Lot of work to do on that side of the ball talent wise.
Hopefully the defense will play well enough this season so the offense doesnt have to score 21+ points a game to win...not that Im expecting a winning season, but starting with the defense isnt a bad idea when rebuilding.

but starting with the defense isnt a bad idea when rebuilding.
On board 100 percent with this, especially when this years draft was top heavy on defense.

Offensively, just having Shanahan's system in place will make them better and they have definitely upgraded every position through free agency (and Kittle in the draft), so they will be better.  Just don't have any true impact players or really anyone who looks the part of one (Hyde maybe if he stays on field and possibly Williams).  But they had to start somewhere and defense made the most sense.

Staley acts like a good corporate soldier every offseason. I'm pretty sure he was speaking in glowing terms about Kelly this time last year. 

Over a month since the last post? sad. lol

I watched the first 2 series last night...they looked pretty good FWIW

That was the first I've watched of any preseason, and it was also the last I'll see til week 1.

I stand by my prediction that this will be a top 15 offense. 

They will still lose a ton of games but they will put up some points this year.  That will at least make them interesting to watch

To the 49er truthers here...

What's your opinion of FB Kyle Juzszcyk?  Matthew Berry on ESPN has been touting him saying he could catch 80 balls.  He's not exactly high on the depth chart, and any balls he'll catch are likely if he is moved around the formation out wide.  Is there any value here in a PPR league?  I drafted him and was ridiculed by my league.  Am I just hanging on to a weak thread of hype from a guy who gets many things wrong?

They should tank the season already and hope that Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold declare for the draft. Then again, they just might stay in college to avoid being drafted by this franchise

Users who are viewing this thread