What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

The 9ers were robbed by that PI call.
It's one of those calls where you have to wonder what the ref saw because nothing happened.  If anything the Ram DB grabbed Taylor.  Total phantom call.  

Some really bad officiating overall. The penalty on Ward for hitting a defenseless receiver was horrible too. Woods made a football move and put his head down. What is Ward supposed to do?  If he doesn't hit him, Woods scores. It's called tackling. 

Penalty on Donald for late hit was garbage too. 

Two challenges overturned meaning two missed calls. 

There needs to be some accountability for BS calls like that, but there won't be. 

It's one of those calls where you have to wonder what the ref saw because nothing happened.  If anything the Ram DB grabbed Taylor.  Total phantom call.  

Some really bad officiating overall. The penalty on Ward for hitting a defenseless receiver was horrible too. Woods made a football move and put his head down. What is Ward supposed to do?  If he doesn't hit him, Woods scores. It's called tackling. 

Penalty on Donald for late hit was garbage too. 

Two challenges overturned meaning two missed calls. 

There needs to be some accountability for BS calls like that, but there won't be. 
They have HD cams shooting at a gazillion fps. If the refs miss it, they have it on replay. Those cams can pick up the tiniest blade of grass. 

I never grip on ref calls. Except in the NBA, which I don't watch because I know that's rigged. If I had $$ on a game, yeah I would be pissed. Which is why I don't gamble lol. 

I watch golf because there are no refs. Just marshals who give a ruling. 

The Lambs special teams lulz. Holy hell, they suck on returns. They kept the 49ers in the game. 

Fun game. Best Thursday Night game I have seen in a while, and I don't watch them because of the godawful uniforms they have to wear. They are Any Given Sunday horrid. 

I liked how they chucked the ball downfield. I was saying out loud while watching them on offense "JUST CHUCK THE DAMN BALL, WHATTYA GOT TO LOSE?", and Hoyer chucks a bomb to Garcon. Hoyer doesn't have a whole lotta throws from what I saw last night, but he can chuck a deep rock. Lot of dropped passes, more than a few bad throws, but what the heck? They are in rebuild mode anyway. As long as they can hit big plays with what talent or lack thereof, I'm down with that.

They still gotta Dump for Darnold or Reek for Rosen, so they better suck the rest of the way lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked how they chucked the ball downfield. I was saying out loud while watching them on offense "JUST CHUCK THE DAMN BALL, WHATTYA GOT TO LOSE?", and Hoyer chucks a bomb to Garcon. Hoyer doesn't have a whole lotta throws from what I saw last night, but he can chuck a deep rock. Lot of dropped passes, more than a few bad throws, but what the heck? They are in rebuild mode anyway. As long as they can hit big plays with what talent or lack thereof, I'm down with that.

They still gotta Dump for Darnold or Reek for Rosen, so they better suck the rest of the way lol
Taylor had a bad drop, but overall, I liked what I saw from him as a slot receiver.  The move he made on the DB on his TD catch was awesome.  DB looked like he was on roller skates. 

I think the drop was just a concentration thing.  Needed 10 yards and it was a 5 yard pass.  Was thinking too much about how to get the extra yards.

Will be interesting to see where they spend some of their FA money next year.  I am hoping on the o-line and then address the QB, WR and secondary with the early draft picks. 

Kind of concerned now.  A new competitor in the Dump for Darnold sweepstakes has raised it's ugly head.  Thought it was just the Jets and possibly the Browns to worry about, but not so.

Been hearing a lot about how Andrew Luck is still not throwing, which makes week 7 about the earliest he would be able to play.  Some are saying they will shut him down for the season to make sure he is completely healthy for 2018, which makes a lot of sense. Why rush him back in a lost season? Colts could be a 2-win team without Luck.  Big game in week 5 at Indy.  Can the Niners find a way to lose another competitive game?  If they win, that may make it tough to finish below the Colts with that tiebreaker in their favor.

Stay tuned

Kind of concerned now.  A new competitor in the Dump for Darnold sweepstakes has raised it's ugly head.  Thought it was just the Jets and possibly the Browns to worry about, but not so.

Been hearing a lot about how Andrew Luck is still not throwing, which makes week 7 about the earliest he would be able to play.  Some are saying they will shut him down for the season to make sure he is completely healthy for 2018, which makes a lot of sense. Why rush him back in a lost season? Colts could be a 2-win team without Luck.  Big game in week 5 at Indy.  Can the Niners find a way to lose another competitive game?  If they win, that may make it tough to finish below the Colts with that tiebreaker in their favor.

Stay tuned
I read an interesting article about the colts the other day.  There is a lot of validity to the stories that they trade him

1. he wants out (whether you believe that or not)

2. great qbs in the draft at no cost

3. his huge contract

It's kind of a win-win for the colts

Now back to the 49ers.  I'm still of the mind this will be a pretty good offense once the wheels are greased and they are running smoothly.  I am so impressed with garcon.  He looks like a new anquan boldin out there

I read an interesting article about the colts the other day.  There is a lot of validity to the stories that they trade him

3. his huge contract

Now back to the 49ers.  I'm still of the mind this will be a pretty good offense once the wheels are greased and they are running smoothly.  I am so impressed with garcon.  He looks like a new anquan boldin out there
Hadn't heard that, but makes a lot of sense.  They are still a bad team with Luck, so why waste the prime years he has left.  Plus, they have experience as a franchise tanking for the #1 pick.

Yeah, Garcon is impressive.  A Boldin who can still run.  Seeing him on a weekly basis makes you appreciate how good he is.

Hadn't heard that, but makes a lot of sense.  They are still a bad team with Luck, so why waste the prime years he has left.  Plus, they have experience as a franchise tanking for the #1 pick.

Yeah, Garcon is impressive.  A Boldin who can still run.  Seeing him on a weekly basis makes you appreciate how good he is.
Yea I have never really seen him play all that much.  I just know he racked up lots of stats.  I couldn't be more impressed with him this year.  I'm surprised the pats didn't sign him...he's a steal

Yea I have never really seen him play all that much.  I just know he racked up lots of stats.  I couldn't be more impressed with him this year.  I'm surprised the pats didn't sign him...he's a steal
Yeah, I guess the Niners didn't overpay as a lot of people were saying.  If Jeffrey can stay healthy for a year, maybe look at spending some of the FA money on him.  Would make a good trio with Garcon and Taylor.  Maybe even Goodwin as a speed guy if he shows he can hold onto the ball the rest of the season.  Guy can get open down the field.

3. his huge contract

Then the Niners could bring him back to the Bay Area.

BusterTBronco said:
Oh, yeah.  What an offense!  Hoyer is lighting the league on fire.
I'm sticking with they will come around.  Currently 24th in offense, only 9 spots out.  Of course, as this is a fantasy board i am speaking from a strictly fantasy point of view.  

:lmao:

God this team is just bad right now.
I’m ecstatic with the results so far. 3 competative divisional games they could have easily won but didn’t. 0-4 and in good shape to finish with a top two pick. Finding out which players are keepers moving forward. Defense has played decent with the exception of Rams game and I’ll give them a pass there because of the fact they played over 80 snaps against Seattle and come back to play the Rams on a short week and the Rams have been scoring against everyone so far this year. Not great but not getting pushed around like last year and Foster hopefully back soon, giving them a potentional impact player. 

Finding out Hoyer is terrible so no illusions he is even a 2-3 year stop gap. Getting rid of  McDonald who sucks and had a crap contract. 

I think Shanny and Lynch are happy with the result so far too. Of course they can’t come out and say it but another draft at the top would go a long way in the rebuild process and losing games that you aren’t getting your ### kicked in isn’t the worst thing in the world. 

Ton of cap space, hopefully to use on the interior OL.  Saints 2nd rounder and Bears 3rd rounder in addition to their own picks so probably 5 picks in the top 70. 

Looking up. 

So, Jets look like they don't suck, so that's good.  Giants and Chargers are 0-4 but they will both win 4-5 games at the minimum (or should anyway).  Browns and Colts are the real contenders for the top picks and Colts will win some games if Luck comes back.

Niners can take a big step forward this week by losing another close one to the Colts.   

Guy from CBS Sports did a 2018 mock draft.  Rosen #1 to Browns and Mason Rodolph #4 to Niners.  Darnold #31 to Steelers.

I know these mocks mean less than nothing but still found it interesting since I don’t watch college football. Is Darnold sucking that bad? 

Schefter reporting the Niners are aggressively shopping Bowman. I get it on some level, but it also seems like Lynch is excessively cleaning house. Bowman’s a good culture guy and they don’t need the cap space. 

Guy from CBS Sports did a 2018 mock draft.  Rosen #1 to Browns and Mason Rodolph #4 to Niners.  Darnold #31 to Steelers.

I know these mocks mean less than nothing but still found it interesting since I don’t watch college football. Is Darnold sucking that bad? 
No chance in hell that Darnold lasts to 31. Steelers won't be picking there any way unless they have some other team's 1st.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen are all gone in the top 10. Someone takes Allen simply because he could be the next small school stud like Wentz. Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph & Luke Falk may go in the 1st as well.

Lamar Jackson would be wise to stay in school another year and let these guys get out of his way. 

If they are picking early, it's less likely they sign Cousins unless there is some real blue chip player available at a needed position.

thecatch said:
Schefter reporting the Niners are aggressively shopping Bowman. I get it on some level, but it also seems like Lynch is excessively cleaning house. Bowman’s a good culture guy and they don’t need the cap space. 
Nothing says classy organization like releasing one of the best players in franchise history early during the regular season. 

Yea what is going on there? Hyde and Bowman benched. Bowman released. Is this the coach or front office?

That's brutal.  Bowman is a high character, hard working guy.  One of my all time favs and they just kick him to the curb. Brutal

Bowman was one of my favorite Niners ever.  Really sad to see him go.

Can't blame Shanahan and Lynch though.  Bowman obviously isn't in the plans for next year or beyond.  At 0-5, the best thing they can do this year is to give playing time to the guys who are or could be part of the plan for next year.  They can't afford to be sentimental. 

Football is a brutal business in this respect.  Bowman wasn't happy with the reduced snaps and with Foster ready to come back, they were going to be reduced more.  He'll hook up with another team quickly enough (Raiders). 

Sounds like they had a trade lined up but Bowman didn't want to go there so they released him in order to let him be able to choose his destination.

Nothing says classy organization like releasing one of the best players in franchise history early during the regular season. 
Actually, sounds like the front office did him a solid by releasing him so he could join the team of his choice instead of trading him.

Love Bowman but to send your agent to the GM to complain about your lack of snaps isn't the best way to handle it.  Also, saying they thought that reducing his snaps would keep him fresh was a nice way of saying that you can't do the job as a full time player anymore.

Call me crazy but have a gut feel that the 9ers keep it close and at least beat the spread this week, even with WAS coming off a bye.

9ers have some holes but they seem to play up to opponents recently and sometimes teams coming of byes overlook their opponents, especially with back to back divisional games coming up for the Skins.

I’m ok with the Bowman move. He wasn’t the same, and neither he nor the Niners benefitted from having him there in a reduced role.

As for the Redskins, this might be preview week for Cousins to scout his next team. 

I don’t think it’ll be close. WAS is tough even without their best DB. Breeland is damn good in his own right and the Niners don’t have a lot of weapons. 

That said, they’ve been in every game so far & looked competent doing it which is all I ask. At some point they have to win a close one, but I don’t think a cross country trip against a tough WAS team is the one. 

I’m ok with the Bowman move. He wasn’t the same, and neither he nor the Niners benefitted from having him there in a reduced role.

As for the Redskins, this might be preview week for Cousins to scout his next team. 

I don’t think it’ll be close. WAS is tough even without their best DB. Breeland is damn good in his own right and the Niners don’t have a lot of weapons. 

That said, they’ve been in every game so far & looked competent doing it which is all I ask. At some point they have to win a close one, but I don’t think a cross country trip against a tough WAS team is the one. 
Yeah, not thinking this is the week either. Skins have too much offense with Reed back somewhat healthy and I just don’t  see them scoring the 24 plus points they will need to pull off the upset. 

Looking forward to Foster getting back on the field.  Will energize the defense and give them someone who can actually cover a RB or TE. 

Clutch loss! Though Descend for Darnold and Reek for Rosen not looking as good at the moment.
Yeah, was torn as always watching.  Instinct wants me to root for the win, but I know the losses are better for the long term (well, this year anyway).

Not a fan of the trade at all. They gave up a great pick to overpay Jimmy in the offseason. I don’t trust him outside of New England at all either. Would rather they just took their lumps and gotten whatever QB strikes their fancy in the draft, or sign Cousins if no one stood out to them. 

This smells like a panic move to keep some level of fan interest in the team. 

Not a fan of the trade at all. They gave up a great pick to overpay Jimmy in the offseason. I don’t trust him outside of New England at all either. Would rather they just took their lumps and gotten whatever QB strikes their fancy in the draft, or sign Cousins if no one stood out to them. 

I don't know. I prefer having this trial opportunity to see how Jimmy fits to find out what he's worth to the team. Hopefully this will mitigate that possibility of overpaying for a mediocre QB. We'll see how he is outside NE. I'm a USC alum and Los Angeles guy, but I can't recommend the Niners take Darnold or Rosen at this point. The team doesn't know if Cousins will be an option. This is the key position for the team's future, so I think the pick could be worth this audition, which could pay off in getting a better pick back.

The trade is to keep the negotiating leverage on a player they covet.  Niners have all the leverage now for negotiating contract.  I don't think they did this with the intent of trying him out.  They are already convinced.  I think its fair to question whether he has the right skills to succeed, but the deal, though steep, was probably their only option to get him.  This says that they aren't that intrigued with the draft options and not in a good position to land a player in FA that they covet. 

The trade is to keep the negotiating leverage on a player they covet.  Niners have all the leverage now for negotiating contract.  I don't think they did this with the intent of trying him out.  They are already convinced.  I think its fair to question whether he has the right skills to succeed, but the deal, though steep, was probably their only option to get him.  This says that they aren't that intrigued with the draft options and not in a good position to land a player in FA that they covet. 
Is the argument that he wouldn’t voluntarily sign here for $22m or so per year? 

Users who are viewing this thread