What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 Chargers Thread **** (2 Viewers)

for some reason I have a quiet confidence this week. I think as bad as the chargers played vs Baltimore last time, they were marching to win the game in the 4th quarter until Gates fumbled.

I think seeing the Balt Off and seeing their Def just a few weeks ago will be big.
Agree.

Personnel-wise, add RB Ekeler and TE Henry, lose LB Brown. Not sure what changes, if any, have occurred for BAL.

It is worth noting that in the first meeting the Chargers held Baltimore to its fewest offensive points, lowest rushing yardage, and second lowest total yardage in the 7 games since Jackson took over at QB. The defense gave up the 68 yard TD pass but otherwise was solid. 

It is also true that the Chargers will be the first team to play the Jackson led Ravens twice. I suspect that will be a big plus, since Baltimore's offensive game plan with Jackson is so different from that of every other team.

Hola, Chargers fans. Ravens follower here.

My take isn't too far off of JWB's. I think LA should win this one, especially since the weather looks to be almost perfect.

I thought both defenses played great a couple of weeks ago. Turnovers made the difference and, I suspect, they will again Sunday. 

The kicking game is Baltimore's only real advantage, along with their blitz. Keep OctoDad clean and he should pick the Ravens apart.

I'm guessing LA 20, Baltimore 17

Uruk-Hai said:
Hola, Chargers fans. Ravens follower here.

My take isn't too far off of JWB's. I think LA should win this one, especially since the weather looks to be almost perfect.

I thought both defenses played great a couple of weeks ago. Turnovers made the difference and, I suspect, they will again Sunday. 

The kicking game is Baltimore's only real advantage, along with their blitz. Keep OctoDad clean and he should pick the Ravens apart.

I'm guessing LA 20, Baltimore 17
nice reverse jinx......

Nah, I don't do that (see: me saying the Ravens were gonna dust the Browns last week). However, I AM a walking, talking jinx when I try to predict something. 

I just think Rivers is too good to let the Ravens swallow him up like they did last time.
problem is the weakness of the chargers is their Oline, a banged up Gordon don't help, and no Mebane to help stop the run sucks....however if Phil don't turn it over, I mean zero charger turnovers I like the bolts chances.

excellent job today. not gonna freak about the end of game prevent, that's what NFL teams do.

What  a tough defense Baltimore has.

Great game plan on D for the chargers, lamar looked lost and surprised they didn't goto flacco at halftime

Vader & Palpatine  await next week...…..just once, lets get it done!

Great game plan on D for the chargers,
Gus Bradley killed it with his brilliant and risky game plan.👨‍🎓

The Charger Changeup

...It starts with that defensive plan. Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley threw the changeup of the NFL season at Baltimore, making a dominant run game feeble with a seven-defensive-back alignment from the first snap of the game to the last. When Bradley first discussed it with coach Anthony Lynn early in the week, Lynn said, “Are we insane, or what?” Nope. It worked. The Chargers (13-4) flummoxed Baltimore with 58 snaps (out of 59) of seven-DB defense.

Instead of playing 240 pounds-250-251 across as their three ‘backers, Bradley wanted to go 195 (Jahleel Addae), 210 (Adrian Phillips), with rookie all-pro safety Derwin James (215) coming into the box at times—like the first defensive snap of the game. Lamar Jackson, the biggest running threat in the league at quarterback right now, broke for the right end on the first play from scrimmage in front of a jacked-up crowd.

Loss of one. James stoned him.

“The momentum of the defense rose from there,” James told me afterward. “When that play happened, we just got so jacked.”

Midway through the first quarter, an NFL GM acquaintance of mine texted me: “Chargers playing with 7 DBs. What’s this all about?” Speed. Quickness. Playing Lamar Jackson. That’s what it was about. “I wasn’t sure how this was gonna hold up,” Lynn said afterward. “They were running for 300 yards lots of games with Lamar playing. Gus felt like getting speed on the field could help contain Lamar. It could help in the passing game, dropping back and taking over routes that our linebackers usually cover. It worked. Our guys, they embraced it. It was risky, but it paid off. We’re talking about going up against a rushing attack that no one can stop right now. And we’re gonna do it with two 200-pound guys?

Predicting a win at NE. The offense hasn't played very well in recent weeks, but this matchup against the NE defense should be much better for them. Meanwhile, the defense and special teams (!) are playing great.

Interesting facts:

• NE is 8-0 at home this season; the Chargers are 9-0 outside of LA.
  • NE is 6-2 in games at 1 pm EST this season; the Chargers are 3-0.
  • NE is 4-0 this season vs. playoff teams; the Chargers are 3-3. However, the Chargers avenged 2 of the losses in a rematch (Chiefs, Ravens).
  • NE is 3-2 in games decided by 8 or fewer points (1 possession) this season; the Chargers are 7-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Predicting a win at NE. The offense hasn't played very well in recent weeks, but this matchup against the NE defense should be much better for them. Meanwhile, the defense and special teams (!) are playing great.

Interesting facts:

• NE is 8-0 at home this season; the Chargers are 9-0 outside of LA.
  • NE is 6-2 in games at 1 pm EST this season; the Chargers are 3-0.
  • NE is 4-0 this season vs. playoff teams; the Chargers are 3-3. However, the Chargers avenged 2 of the losses in a rematch (Chiefs, Ravens).
  • NE is 3-2 in games decided by 8 or fewer points (1 possession) this season; the Chargers are 7-1.
NE doesn't have Lamar Jackson either.....they have Tommy comin off a bye.....I got no dog in the fight, and I could see the Chargers winning, but I gotta take the Pats at home.....the Chargers will be drained after that physical win Baltimore, and the evil genius will be prepared 

The Patriots own the Chargers. I'm expecting another frustrating playoff loss. But I'm already happy with the season, I didn't think they'd beat the Ravens either. Nice to get Henry back. Hopefully Gordon can give them something.

The Patriots own the Chargers. I'm expecting another frustrating playoff loss. But I'm already happy with the season, I didn't think they'd beat the Ravens either. Nice to get Henry back. Hopefully Gordon can give them something.
Honestly I don't think this is your fathers Patriots.....for some reason I'm quietly calm. 

NE doesn't have Lamar Jackson either.....they have Tommy comin off a bye.....I got no dog in the fight, and I could see the Chargers winning, but I gotta take the Pats at home.....the Chargers will be drained after that physical win Baltimore, and the evil genius will be prepared 
Brady has arguably had his worst season since 2009. And, unsurprisingly, the Pats seem more vulnerable this postseason than in any postseason since 2009. They lost their first playoff game that season.

The Chargers offense should have an advantage against the Pats defense. The Chargers defense should be able to hold its own against the Pats offense. The Chargers special teams seem to suddenly be playing very well. All of that collectively favors a Chargers victory.

There are two main reasons to worry as a Chargers fan:

1. Chargers flying from BAL to LA on Sunday, then back to NE on Saturday makes for a difficult week, especially in comparison to the Pats sitting at home
  2. Belichick with 2 weeks to prepare

You think he only prepared for the chargers during the bye? There were 3 possible teams they could of played...im sure they did some prep for all 3.....the rest for players like brady n gronk is huge...
So your post is about semantics? It is difficult enough to beat NE when Belichick has one week to prepare. It can only be more difficult when he has more than one week.

Lets see the defensive gameplan vs James White and Edelman....I expect Gronk to be healthy as well.....masterful job last week vs Baltimore. Chargers strength is the pass rush and the secondary of James-King and Hayward....need to have another dose of "good" Phil, zero turnovers and force at least 1 Brady int....

Lets see the defensive gameplan vs James White and Edelman....I expect Gronk to be healthy as well.....masterful job last week vs Baltimore. Chargers strength is the pass rush and the secondary of James-King and Hayward....need to have another dose of "good" Phil, zero turnovers and force at least 1 Brady int....
It won’t be as inovative as last week. James will be assigned to Gronk full time. They’ll let Edelman make hay on underneath routes but try to limit yac. That leaves White and I think the front line can handle it. Very excited for this game. I’m hopeful. 

Have the Chargers made any arrangements for possibly hosting a playoff game next weekend (Colts win certainly possible) somewhere other than their tiny soccer stadium?  Rose Bowl, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread