What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 PGA Tour Thread - Memorial Tournament, LIV list leaked- It's all Paulina's Fault **** (2 Viewers)

Live golf? When we’ve got a Jimmy Rogers feature on the club bartender in the can??
This coverage is insane. 

They have been pimping the US Senior Open with UNINTERRUPTED coverage "presented by Rolex" the last two days.  Of course that's on Peacock so Rolex can pay them $1000 and that is all the ad budget they need for the USSO.  But during the US Open we have to have 22:45 of commercials every hour?  REALLY?  

I love this sport, and I love this tournament.  But you are right Cappy.  The coverage STINKS.

I have no delusions that Soderberg can win, but he is a guy I have come to really like from the DP tour. Would love to see a top ten somehow. Guy has had some heartbreak in recent times. He lost the British masters by one when oleson went eagle birdie making two putts of 28 and 38 feet. 

what’d they say yesterday? 26 of the last 28 US Open winners were within 2 shots after 36 holes.

bodes well for Collin, Rahm, Rory & Scottie 

then again 8 other golfers met that criteria..

How does a pure ball striker such as yourself a legend, shoot an opening round 83 at the US Open
I remember in the late 70s our club pro got the super to grow some rough for the August club championships. the match play flights lasted for weeks, was up to the 2 opponents to schedule within like a 2-3 day window, etc.

people absolutely lost their minds. we’re taking like 4”, nothing crazy, for 20-30 yards fm the edge of the fwy. then the fatal error was letting it go after that 20-30 yars 2nd cut - planted fescue and that stuff  was knee high.

groups backed up all over looking for lost balls. pure misery. never did that again.

most of us play courses you can bomb and gouge with little penalty if you’re way offline.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I would be about 200 over, but how is a pro golfer at +24 after two rounds in any tournament?

sectional qualifier, dude normally plays on PGA Tour Latinoameria, first major

brutal - 13/28 fairways, 11/36 GIR
Makes sense. And this tournament exposes the biggest gripe I have with the pro game...why don't they hit more fairways?

The answer is, I think, they don't care if they do. They're so confident in their scrambling ability that they just try to get max distance regardless of accuracy.

So, I like that this tournament penalizes that attitude.

I remember in the late 70s our club pro got the super to grow some rough for the August club championships. the match play flights lasted for weeks, was up to the 2 opponents to schedule within like a 2-3 day window, etc.

people absolutely lost their minds. we’re taking like 4”, nothing crazy, for 20-30 yards fm the edge of the fwy. then the fatal error was letting it go after that 20-30 yars 2nd cut - planted fescue and that stuff  was knee high.

groups backed up all over looking for lost balls. pure misery. never did that again.

most of us play courses you can bomb and gouge with little penalty if you’re way offline.
https://youtu.be/ERiiOUO2YSU

Makes sense. And this tournament exposes the biggest gripe I have with the pro game...why don't they hit more fairways?

The answer is, I think, they don't care if they do. They're so confident in their scrambling ability that they just try to get max distance regardless of accuracy.

So, I like that this tournament penalizes that attitude.
BDC is the anomoly, but agree Scrambling ability and club head speed to get thru the rough.  And the upright swings of today are a big help…a flat-swinging player like Fowler can’t win here.

So denny mccarthy posts a 2 under round and is in 22nd place. Will be interesting to see where he finishes today. 

Better production today: shot shot shot putt shot shot putt putt. 

Nix the features.  I don’t want to see guys walking. or lining up putts.

Action. actual strokes, cut to the next one, cut away to another hole with action.

not hard. 

Masters is my favorite major 

Open Championship is 2nd (for me)

But when they get the setup right, our national championship is the heavyweight championship of the world

12 men in the US Am + US Open club:

In the history of the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open golf tournaments, which began at the same time in 1895, how many golfers have managed to win both of them? A total of 12 — so far.

The first to do it was Francis Ouimet, and the most recent is Bryson DeChambeau. Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods all make the list, too. But the golfer who did it most often was Bobby Jones, who won the Amateur five times and the Open four times.

Here's the list of golfers who've won both the USGA's highest national championships for men, the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open: 

1. Francis Ouimet: Ouimet won the Open first, his historic victory in the 1913 U.S. Open at The Country Club at Brookline, Mass., where he caddied. That's the one where he beat Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in a playoff. 

When Ouimet won the U.S. Amateur the following year (1914), he became the first golfer to achieve the American Amateur-Open double. He added another amateur title in 1931.

2. Jerome Travers: Jerry Travers followed Ouimet by one year. He won the U.S. Amateurs of 1907, 1908, 1912 and 1913 Amateur. Then, in the 1915 U.S. Open, he won by a single stroke over Tom McNamara to complete the double. Travers then retired from competitive golf.

3. Chick Evans: One year later, a third golfer completed the U.S. Amateur/U.S. Open twofer. But Chick Evans (pictured above) did it in the same year. He won the 1916 U.S. Open in June, carrying only seven clubs, but leading wire-to-wire and winning by two strokes.

Then, in September, Evans added the Amateur title. He was the first to win both in the same year, and remains one of only two golfers who have done that. Evans later added the 1920 U.S. Amateur crown, and eventually played in 50 consecutive U.S. Amateur tournaments. 

4. Bobby Jones: Jones is the second of the two golfers who won both tournaments in the same year. For Jones, that year was 1930, his Grand Slam year in which he also won the British Amateur and British Open titles.

But Jones had already completed the Amateur-Open double in America by that point. He won the U.S. Amateur five times, the other years being 1924, 1925, 1927 and 1928. And he won the Open four times, the other three years being 1923, 1926 and 1929. 

5. Johnny Goodman: Johnny Goodman is the last amateur golfer to win any of the four major championships of men's professional golf, something he accomplished in the 1933 U.S. Open. Four years later, in 1937, Goodman added the Amateur crown, as well.

6. Lawson Little: In 1934, Little won the U.S. Amateur and the British Amateur. In 1935, he did the same thing. He is the most-recent golfer who won both of those amateur championships in the same year, and he is the only golfer who did it more than once. After turning pro, Little won the 1940 U.S. Open, which puts him on this list of American Amateur/Open champs.

7. Arnold Palmer: Palmer wasn't yet "the King" when he won the 1954 U.S. Amateur, beating Robert Sweeny Jr. in the title match, 1-up. But by the time he won the 1960 U.S. Open, "Arnie's Army" was marching in full force. Palmer made up a seven-stroke deficit to win that year, beating the runner-up, an amateur named Jack Nicklaus, by two strokes.

8. Gene Littler: Littler won the U.S. Amateur in 1953, and then added the 1961 U.S. Open title. His amateur championship was via a 1-up title match win over Dale Morey. In his Open win, Littler shot 68 in the final round to win by one stroke over runners-up Bob Goalby and Doug Sanders.

9. Jack Nicklaus: Nicklaus won the U.S. Amateur twice and the U.S. Open four times. He got his name on this list as of 1962, the year of his first U.S. Open victory. That came in his rookie year as a pro golfer, after he won the Amateur in 1959 and 1961. Nicklaus later added the U.S. Open titles of 1967, 1972 and 1980.

10. Jerry Pate: Pate won the 1974 U.S. Amateur, and two years later the 1976 U.S. Open. Pate was a PGA Tour rookie when he joined this list in 1976, and his Open victory was by two strokes over Al Geiberger and Tom Weiskopf.

11. Tiger Woods: Woods won the Amateur three times and, so far, the Open three times. His championship years in the Am were 1994, 1995 and 1996. And his U.S. Open wins are in 2000, 2002 and 2008.

12. Bryson DeChambeau: The most-recent addition to the list, DeChambeau joined when he won the 2020 U.S. Open by six strokes. His U.S. Amateur win was in 2015.

6 before WWII, 6 in the 77 years after WWII.

Us open has always been my second favorite. I love watching these guys struggle. 
I do as well, it’s just such a knife edge proposition. When they lose the course or screw up a hole - 18th at Olympic the year Payne* won, the 7th when Goosen won at Shinnecock…then it becomes a clown show.

*wait - Payne lost by a stroke, next year won at Pinehurst. Stewart hit a putt from a few feet on #18 in round 1 that rolled 40 feet down to the front of the green.

A stern test identifies the best. Go too far and it’s just unfair. The USGA screwed it up a too much over the years. Other than the Carnoustie ridiculousness (Van de Velde’s collapse) the Royal & Ancient is more consistent.

Whatever, that’s pedantry. US Open golf is a mfer and it’s usually the best grind to watch all year.

I do as well, it’s just such a knife edge proposition. When they lose the course or screw up a hole - 18th at Olympic the year Payne* won, the 7th when Goosen won at Shinnecock…then it becomes a clown show.

*wait - Payne lost by a stroke, next year won at Pinehurst. Stewart hit a putt from a few feet on #18 in round 1 that rolled 40 feet down to the front of the green.

A stern test identifies the best. Go too far and it’s just unfair. The USGA screwed it up a too much over the years. Other than the Carnoustie ridiculousness (Van de Velde’s collapse) the Royal & Ancient is more consistent.

Whatever, that’s pedantry. US Open golf is a mfer and it’s usually the best grind to watch all year.

They had balls you couldn't even mark in the 90s. It got and can be silly.  I've been to all three of the us tourney and the us open is the most rinky dink of them all.  Would even place it behind somewhere like the Colonial locally.  

Let too many people in, have #### for merch, and the pace of play is atrocious with the course setup.  

Watched a little bit yesterday, and they gotta do something about these idiot drunks all over the course with their stupid-### comments and awful behavior.

Or show more of it on TV.

:lol:

They had balls you couldn't even mark in the 90s. It got and can be silly.  I've been to all three of the us tourney and the us open is the most rinky dink of them all.  Would even place it behind somewhere like the Colonial locally.  

Let too many people in, have #### for merch, and the pace of play is atrocious with the course setup.  
Heard on pga radio that the merchandise tent was selling a shirt with all us open winners listed. 

Had John Rahm listed. 

Couple of fantastic putts on the 13th.  This is going to come down to the wire.  Very well could see a playoff.

Users who are viewing this thread