What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I think a better parallel than American football is basketball.

More international players are finding their way into the NBA, and not just as peripheral players. I think part of that happened during the 80's and 90's, when American coaches who couldn't get their break in the US went overseas. Part of the formula was already there, as the rest of the world had incorporated the 3-point line into their strategy before we did. When they started beating our B and C level teams in the Olympics, the flood gates opened, and the Dream Team, despite showing there was still a BIG gap between us and the rest of the world, not only increased the game's popularity, it also encouraged them to keep working to close that gap. How does seeing that gap in reverse with soccer affect the development of the game here? Will the investors give up because we haven't closed the gap enough to justify their continual spending, or will they see how much closer we are in just one generation of athletes, which to me is less than 10 years when it comes to soccer.

To me, the bigger obstacle is breaking choke hold the NFL has on our national attention and media. I don't get how FS1, where the 'S' stands for soccer, has more non-soccer content on its daily schedule than soccer content, except that maybe there is some sort of conspiracy exists to keep steady access to soccer on TV. ESPN used to show all kinds of "sports" when they started because they were desperate for content. There is absolutely an abundance of soccer content available and the the most logical reason it doesn't run is because channels like FS1 and BeIn make more money showing other content. Not sure how to break that, but to me that's as important a battle to fight as it is having facilities to develop world-class talent.

Maybe we need that kind of 'beat the best' moment to galvanize the masses, but I think that despite the lack of consistent TV exposure and the persistence of 'pay to play', the game is growing at the grass roots level, and with 2026 looming and businesses wanting to capitalize on the financial bonanza that comes with it, the pieces are in place for a big jump in popularity and maybe a more permanent seat at the media table.

Interesting post @Charlie Steiner, I always like the comparison to basketball as they are clearly the two most popular sports worldwide.

The days of lack of tv exposure being a thing are over though. Soccer is everywhere on tv all the time, just gotta know which service has what.

I would like it if everyone watching the World Cup could come together and agree not to watch this stupid Special Forces show on Fox so they don’t think it was smart to plug it on every single gd commercial break.
Just watch on Telemundo.

The days of lack of tv exposure being a thing are over though. Soccer is everywhere on tv all the time, just gotta know which service has what.

They have been over for a decade or more. For as long as I can remember we have had more soccer choices on TV than pretty much any country in the world. Just unlimited choices really given the technology of the time.

Now with the streaming services, if you are willing to pay, every single game from so many countries and international competitions are available.

I didn’t think I’d ever read anything about “lack of tv exposure” as it relates to soccer in the US ever again.
There is definitely more international soccer on TV now, but it still feels like MLS could be on more. I know that's a tough sell since their season conflicts with college baseball, hockey, the NBA and the NFL.
Isn’t FS1 just Fox Sports 1??
You're right. My bad. Must have watched to much Emily Litella and SNL when I was a kid.

Sorry for the rabbit hole. Carry on.

BTW, I'm out of town and none of the channels available in hotel are showing WC games right now.

. How does seeing that gap in reverse with soccer affect the development of the game here? Will the investors give up because we haven't closed the gap enough to justify their continual spending, or will they see how much closer we are in just one generation of athletes, which to me is less than 10 years when it comes to soccer.

Note that the investors, from a 5000 foot point view, don't really care whether we are closing the gap or not.

They only thing they care about is if the development model is profitable and if it is repeatable.

Ever since Alphonso Davies broke through the barrier and was sold for a lot of money, every MLS owner sat up and said "wait....this actually works?"

Since that time, MLS teams have been selling off young players at an increasing clip grabbing many many many millions along the way. Those initial transfers are going to fund development for decades to come as the model should be repeatable. Some players will fail after transfer, and others will succeed. As long as enough succeed, players will continue to be sold and the development cycle should be endless and self sustaining.

I didn’t think I’d ever read anything about “lack of tv exposure” as it relates to soccer in the US ever again.
There is definitely more international soccer on TV now, but it still feels like MLS could be on more. I know that's a tough sell since their season conflicts with college baseball, hockey, the NBA and the NFL.
You probably mean Nationally for MLS. Don't forget that MLS acts more like baseball/hockey/basketball in the the vast majority of the games are shown locally.

That is all changing next year though once the new Apple deal kicks in.

You probably mean Nationally for MLS. Don't forget that MLS acts more like baseball/hockey/basketball in the the vast majority of the games are shown locally.

Yeah, it seems like Apple is banking on soccer growth in the 5 years.

Yeah, it seems like Apple is banking on soccer growth in the 5 years.

They must see something I don't (not in terms of soccer's growth but in terms of people willing to get yet another streaming service). I am a huge fan of soccer and MLS and I don't think even I am going to get AppleTV.

I didn't watch soccer back when Messi was young. Was he this good when he was as young as Mbappe is now? The dude is insane.

They must see something I don't (not in terms of soccer's growth but in terms of people willing to get yet another streaming service). I am a huge fan of soccer and MLS and I don't think even I am going to get AppleTV.
Apple TV has some pretty decent content even without the soccer, and it's cheaper than most streaming services.

Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, See, and others are all worth watching.

@NewlyRetired Deleting multi-quote to avoid tagging people not interested in non-WC derail. Still pretty niche in terms of playing. Germany probably has the best setup, but a lot of the teams there will just be using the same stadium as soccer teams, and certainly not those of the size that they used in the NFL Europe era. In terms of fan engagement it's pretty big, probably not quite as comparable in terms of numbers (% wise) as soccer is in the US, but it's not far off, I can go watch Redzone in a bar a few minutes walk from my house which is something that wouldn't be possible ten years ago. Same as how I expect I wouldn't have been able to watch our game vs Spurs at 9am in the same last time I was in the US. There's plenty of discussion on the subject as a whole in the international games thread somewhere where it'd be better to continue if needed

Thank you for the info. I apologize for asking it here, I did not in any way mean to derail the thread as I was interested in the comment you made. I won't broach it again.
Eh, it's fine IMO. Only @El Floppo can be thread police and he seems busy these days.

For @titusbramble , as American football grows in popularity in the UK, is there any discussions on the health of the players, especially related to CTE? Have they been similar concerns about rugby and does that sport have fans turning away from it due to players' health concerns?

Rugby's been pretty hot in terms of dealing with concussions and/or head/neck injuries in general, it's not too dissimilar to the protocols used in the NFL. I wouldn't say that health concerns are turning fans away, if anything it is the often excessive nature with how even the remotest challenge that is anywhere near the head is dealt with, over-sanitising what is my nature a physical game

I didn't watch soccer back when Messi was young. Was he this good when he was as young as Mbappe is now? The dude is insane.
Here is a great game Messi had at 19. He did this at age 19 too. Doesn't win his first Ballon d'Or until age 22 after being 2nd at 21 and 3rd at 20.

Mbappe is 23 now. Obviously he has been good for a while but still has not cracked the top 3 of the Ballon d'Or.

Weak penalty. that pause was lame.
I don’t understand that. Isn’t a well-placed strike almost impossible to stop? Seems weird to let a goalie have time to plant his feet and stop a dribbler.

The idea is to get the GK to bite on the pause, forcing him to pick a side, then the taker can go the other way. I think that’s pretty much what Lewa did on this one. But I agree it does seem to be a cheap tactic and prefer when they fire it into an unreachable spot.

Last edited:
he reminds me of Brazilian Ronlado with his pace and power
Said the same thing last week. The thing where they go from 0-60, bodying defenders while the ball stays like six inches off their foot the whole time seems very similar.

It is strange to look at fat Ronaldo now and realize he was one of the worlds best athletes (in any sport) at one time. His physical gifts were off the charts before he found the buffet table.

Rashford benched, Sterling out for personal reasons. Would prefer a lineup that doesn't involve Henderson, but that'd either involve bringing in Grealish and playing Foden at 10, which is workable but aggressive, or bringing in Mount, which do not want

he reminds me of Brazilian Ronlado with his pace and power
Said the same thing last week. The thing where they go from 0-60, bodying defenders while the ball stays like six inches off their foot the whole time seems very similar.

It is strange to look at fat Ronaldo now and realize he was one of the worlds best athletes (in any sport) at one time. His physical gifts were off the charts before he found the buffet table.
Fat Ronaldo at PSV/Barca was basically unplayable

Users who are viewing this thread