What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

So Giroud has had a really good cup. It is scary to think that this was the replacement for the Ballon d'Or winner. The depth is insane ....

Fat Ronaldo at PSV/Barca was basically unplayable
My memory of Ronaldo is better than what I've seen from Mbappe, but I wasn't going to go there because I don't see Mbappe much and also I'm old now and susceptible to the ruinous work of nostalgia.
They play different positions too. Ronaldo was a #9 and a killer.

The comparison that sticks out to me is more the other Ronaldo when he was initially at Manchester with the pace and confidence.

Wegner lays out FIAF choices for how to organize 2026 with the 48 teams

===================

On Sunday, Wenger told a news conference for the FIFA Technical Study Group that three options were under consideration.

As well as the three-team option, another suggestion is that there would be 12 groups of four teams, with the best third-placed teams advancing with the top two. A third option is to split the World Cup into two separate halves of 24, each featuring six groups of four teams. The winner of each half would meet in the final.

"This is not decided," Wenger said. "but it will be 16 groups of three, 12 groups of four, or two sides of six groups of four -- like you organise two 24 teams.

"I will not be able to decide that, it will be decided by the FIFA [Council], and I think it will be done in the next year."

Wegner lays out FIAF choices for how to organize 2026 with the 48 teams

===================

On Sunday, Wenger told a news conference for the FIFA Technical Study Group that three options were under consideration.

As well as the three-team option, another suggestion is that there would be 12 groups of four teams, with the best third-placed teams advancing with the top two. A third option is to split the World Cup into two separate halves of 24, each featuring six groups of four teams. The winner of each half would meet in the final.

"This is not decided," Wenger said. "but it will be 16 groups of three, 12 groups of four, or two sides of six groups of four -- like you organise two 24 teams.

"I will not be able to decide that, it will be decided by the FIFA [Council], and I think it will be done in the next year."

A third option is to split the World Cup into two separate halves of 24, each featuring six groups of four teams. The winner of each half would meet in the final.

I am not sure I understand how this is any different from 12 groups of 4. .....

Two separate halves is easier for me to post scenarios which is clearly what Wegner has in mind.

-QG

My memory of Ronaldo is better than what I've seen from Mbappe, but I wasn't going to go there because I don't see Mbappe much and also I'm old now and susceptible to the ruinous work of nostalgia.
Fat Ronaldo was really, really good
:lmao: at seeing Zidane pass to Ronaldo with Raul in support.

What a stacked team that was
Did you miss Figo watching right next to them?

But on a more practical level it really would make it easier to plot out the schedule. It is a matter of combinatorics and the fact that teams that make the round of 32 can't be playing a team from their group in the first round of the knockout (and really shouldn't happen in the round of 16 either).

Anyway in a 6-group tournament with 4 3rd place teams you have 15 different possible combinations of teams advancing (e.g. ABCD, ABCE, ABCF etc up until CDEF). All the groups are separate so at the outset so all possibilities are equal - and FIFA has to plot out what group winners play what 3rd place teams in each case.

Anyway it gets much more complex if you do 12 groups with 8 3rd-place teams advancing. The number of 3rd place teams combinations leaps to 495. Now it's ABCDEFGH, ABCDEFGI, ABCDEFGH etc all the way up to EFGHIJKL. And there would need to be 495 corresponding plans for which group winners play which 3rd place teams 495 different ways - and the 8 groups where the 3rd place teams come from won't be known until the last couple of days of group matches - so teams won't even know where they'd be going to play until the last minute. Logistically it is a huge mess. Not to mention the possibility of a bigger differential in days between games as well

Splitting things in half makes things much much much simpler to plan.
You have only 30 possible sets of 3rd place teams (2 times 15) and keeping things within the first 6 groups to play and the second 6 groups to play will keep the days between games differences more reasonable.

The thornier issues with a 2x6x4 come up front with the pots. It would seem that there might be more consideration for balancing out the halves - perhaps odd seeds from each region being in one pot and evens in the other (e.g. Brazil and Argentina each being placed in different halves). Or perhaps not - that would be the biggest new factor that 2x6x4 would bring. In the end though I do think this is a very very likely outcome.

:grad:

-QG

Fat Ronaldo was really, really good
A fun watch. A couple of those goals he just splits defenders with his speed and power like at 5:15 are just awesome. I can see the similarity with Mbappe on some these runs, but I don't think he is nearly as clinical.

Sterling's house in London was robbed, armed intruders, supposedly he had family there. That's why not available. Scary.

Leaving poor England with only Rashford Grealish, Mount etc on the bench.

I didn’t think I’d ever read anything about “lack of tv exposure” as it relates to soccer in the US ever again.
There is definitely more international soccer on TV now, but it still feels like MLS could be on more. I know that's a tough sell since their season conflicts with college baseball, hockey, the NBA and the NFL.
You probably mean Nationally for MLS. Don't forget that MLS acts more like baseball/hockey/basketball in the the vast majority of the games are shown locally.

That is all changing next year though once the new Apple deal kicks in.
Yeah, it seems like Apple is banking on soccer growth in the 5 years.

They must see something I don't (not in terms of soccer's growth but in terms of people willing to get yet another streaming service). I am a huge fan of soccer and MLS and I don't think even I am going to get AppleTV.
Yes you will.

I didn’t think I’d ever read anything about “lack of tv exposure” as it relates to soccer in the US ever again.
There is definitely more international soccer on TV now, but it still feels like MLS could be on more. I know that's a tough sell since their season conflicts with college baseball, hockey, the NBA and the NFL.
You probably mean Nationally for MLS. Don't forget that MLS acts more like baseball/hockey/basketball in the the vast majority of the games are shown locally.

That is all changing next year though once the new Apple deal kicks in.
Yeah, it seems like Apple is banking on soccer growth in the 5 years.

They must see something I don't (not in terms of soccer's growth but in terms of people willing to get yet another streaming service). I am a huge fan of soccer and MLS and I don't think even I am going to get AppleTV.
Yes you will.

99.9% sure I won't. I am a filthy torrenter so I get all my streaming shows that way anyway so there would be nothing for me on AppleTV.

plus, MLS is still going to be on linear cable as well so I will be able to watch those games if I want. The league is far too big from the old days where you could watch most games.

Now it is pick and choose

So Mbappe already has 9 world cup goals, tied for 14th all time. Should easily get in two more after this one barring injury. Crazy.

It's always a weird parallel to try to measure how football is developing in the US compared to how (American) football is in Europe despite the obvious differences in league structures and the effective absence of an international game in the latter

How is the investment in infrastructure in American football in Europe?

Here in the US, billions have been spent this last decade on infrastructure on football(soccer) in the forms of beautiful soccer stadiums and development centers/academies all over the country
The infrastructure in terms of advertising and all is picking up in certain European countries thanks to the clubs in leagues run by US Ownership. Multiple clubs in Italy are now American owned and we're seeing a lot more broadening advertising etc. The one thing Soccer overall needs to better advertising as well as better marketing opportunities.

I didn't realize you meant NFL Football I read that wrong. My cousin said it's pretty popular in Germany. Europe just made EFL European Football league with multiple teams from NFL Europe being revised like The Rhine Fire, Barcelona Dragons, Claymores and some newer teams. They've used soccer specific stadiums. The league starts in late May Early June with some former NFL Players like Georgio Tevecchio who was playing in Italy for a American Football club in their league. He was on Barcelona this past summer. EFL Has a website and you can subscribe to watch all the games too. It's really interesting watching though. I'm just generally a football junky so I will watch that the XFL and USFL when its on this spring and summer.

So Mbappe already has 9 world cup goals, tied for 14th all time. Should easily get in two more after this one barring injury. Crazy.

Mueller was on target to break a ton of WC scoring records back after 2014. Lets hope Mbappe's future WC's go better than Mueller's did.

It's always a weird parallel to try to measure how football is developing in the US compared to how (American) football is in Europe despite the obvious differences in league structures and the effective absence of an international game in the latter

How is the investment in infrastructure in American football in Europe?

Here in the US, billions have been spent this last decade on infrastructure on football(soccer) in the forms of beautiful soccer stadiums and development centers/academies all over the country
The infrastructure in terms of advertising and all is picking up in certain European countries thanks to the clubs in leagues run by US Ownership. Multiple clubs in Italy are now American owned and we're seeing a lot more broadening advertising etc. The one thing Soccer overall needs to better advertising as well as better marketing opportunities.

I didn't realize you meant NFL Football I read that wrong. My cousin said it's pretty popular in Germany. Europe just made EFL European Football league with multiple teams from NFL Europe being revised like The Rhine Fire, Barcelona Dragons, Claymores and some newer teams. They've used soccer specific stadiums. The league starts in late May Early June with some former NFL Players like Georgio Tevecchio who was playing in Italy for a American Football club in their league. He was on Barcelona this past summer. EFL Has a website and you can subscribe to watch all the games too. It's really interesting watching though. I'm just generally a football junky so I will watch that the XFL and USFL when its on this spring and summer.

To be clear I was not talking about NFL at all with my question.

I was asking how the infrastructure was setup for the sport in Europe so that they could start developing their own players and leagues. He was comparing it to how soccer is developing here and we know the massive strides soccer has taken stateside these past two decades so I was asking how it was the sport was developing in Europe and if something similar could happen in the future.

I was not asking how popular the NFL was.

Last edited:
Denver Baltimore is 9-3 right now.

Let's head over to Shark Pool with suggestions
Field goals worth 10 points!

the Giants and Commanders ended in a tie. The world should end any minute now
And a Bengals player just faked an injury. How can anyone watch this sport?!?1?

Hey that was a serious serious temporary cramp I'll have you know!

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread