What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Pro Cycling Thread*** - The road to the Four Horseman in France begins now (1 Viewer)

Met a dad of a friend of my kids last weekend while at a climbing competition down in Chicago. Good guy - we became instant friends. He told me that he used to race professionally. We didn't get into too many details, and turns out he way undersold just how damn good he was, This is his wikipedia page

1994 - 7th United Kingdom British National Road Race Championships
1995 - 1st Wales Welsh National Road Race Championships, 8th United Kingdom British National Road Race Championships
1996 - 1st Paris-Auxerre France
1997 - 9th United Kingdom British National Road Race Championships, 1st Stage 4, Tour de Haute Marne France
1998 - 5th Malaysia Commonwealth Games Road Race, Kuala Lumpur, 1st Final Classification Tour de Haute Marne France
1999 - 4th United Kingdom British National Circuit Race Championships, 1st Stage 3, Tour of Lancashire, Premier Calendar Event, 2nd Tour of the Cotswolds, Premier Calendar Event, 2nd Five Valleys GP, Premier Calendar Event. 3rd Stage 12, Commonwealth Bank Classic Australia. 4th Stage 1, Commonwealth Bank Classic Australia
2004 - 1st Deer Trail Road Race. 1st Golden Criterium. 1st Estees Cycling Challenge
2005 - 1st Boulder-Roubaix, 1st Louisville Criterium, 1st Stage 4, Amateur Tour of the Gila, 4th Amateur Tour of the Gila
2008 - 8th United States US Elite National Criterium Championships
2009 - 5th United States US Elite National Road Race Championships, 1st Bannock Street Criterium Masters
2010 - 10th United Kingdom British Road Race Championships, 18th India Commonwealth Games Road Race, Delhi, 1st Colorado Masters Road Championships, 1st Bannock Street Criterium Masters, 1st Prairie Center Criterium Masters, 1st Sunshine Hill Climb Masters, 1st BRC Real Estate Criterium Masters, 1st Wheels of Thunder

r.i.p. GCN+

Is there any way to view Paris - Nice in the U.S. next weekend?

What’s the best streaming this year for the spring classics?

Getting this underway. So far this year we've seen Primoz move, setting up a huge four way battle in the tour. MVdP is destroying the cyclocross world. And a Mexican rider is announcing himself down under.

Oh, and GCN+ folded, so watching stuff in the US now officially sucks. This is the best roundup of that situation I've seen.

@BobbyLayne
I actually have the keys to my FIL's Max subscription... but they just implemented a password lock down based on location or something.

Gotta get me one of these sweet new team Visma-Lease TT helmets for my daily commute -- https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/vRT9DMn95GyXatdh8dxNA3-650-80.png.webp
The model for this helmet.

On relevant notes, what Pogacar did in Strade Bianchi with his called shot is just ridiculous. Just rode away and stayed away for 2 hours. Not even human. And the huge underdog team sprint win today in Paris Nice with as deep a sprinter lineup as I've ever seen was awesome. No idea who that dude is, but he's legit.

FYI the conclusion of Milan San-Remo was pretty spectacular. I highly recommend at the least catching the highlights on youtube. While you're at it watch the end of the Vuelta a Catalunya stage 1 finish. Might be even more awesome.

:thumbup:

Summary of the season so far: Tadej rides away from the field, Tadej rides away from the field, Tadej rides away from the field.

Ridiculous.
And just to add: Tadej takes the last stage in a field sprint to finish off the Vuelta there.

:lmao: So insane.

So... Basque Country had horrific scenes today that saw Vinegaard, Roglic, and Remco (among others) forced to abandon via ambulance. I hope everyone is ok, but it is looking pretty bad at the moment.

ETA: Looks like Roglic and Remco were able to walk to ambulance - Roglic even left in the team car.

Remco surely broke his collar bone. https://twitter.com/ehitzulia/status/1775895569027981704

JV had to be stretchered out and looks bad - rumored pelvic injury: https://twitter.com/willwrite4cake/status/1775900538426544135

ETA: Per Reddit:
The race was neutralized after a major crash in the peloton in the descent towards Untzilla, involving Jonas Vingegaard, Primoz Roglic, Jay Vine, Remco Evenepoel, Sean Quinn, Steff Cras and others, with Vine and Vingegaard requiring ambulance transport. All riders are conscious and stable.

The breakaway at the time raced for the stage win, while the peloton rode neutralized to the finish, and no GC times were taken.

As updates come in on all these riders, we ask that you share them in this thread.

Team updates

• UAE: Vine in hospital, conscious/talking and undergoing checks
  • Visma: Vingegaard in hospital, conscious and undergoing checks
  • Soudal: Evenepoel abandon and headed to hospital for checks
  • Lidl: Tesfatsion headed to hospital for checks
  • Total: Cras headed to hospital for checks
  • EF: Cepeda and Quinn involved, Quinn abandon
  • Bora: Roglic involved, no further updates (he was able to walk to team car)

Last edited:
So... Basque Country had horrific scenes today that saw Vinegaard, Roglic, and Remco (among others) forced to abandon via ambulance. I hope everyone is ok, but it is looking pretty bad at the moment.
Wow, that's 3 of the 5 big names in the sport. Wout broke his collarbone and some ribs just a bit ago, so he's out of Paris Roubaix (huge bummer).

BTW, this weekend Peacock will be carrying Paris Roubaix on Saturday/Sunday. Not sure if they are carrying the women's race, but for sure the men. Definitely the best of the spring classics.

Last edited:

BTW, this weekend Peacock will be carrying Paris Roubaix on Saturday. Definitely the best of the spring classics.
yeah, I was in the middle of watching the GCN preview when I got the news about Basque Country.

ETA: Looks like Roglic and Remco were able to walk to ambulance - Roglic even left in the team car.

Remco surely broke his collar bone. https://twitter.com/ehitzulia/status/1775895569027981704

JV had to be stretchered out and looks bad - rumored pelvic injury: https://twitter.com/willwrite4cake/status/1775900538426544135

The race was neutralized after a major crash in the peloton in the descent towards Untzilla, involving Jonas Vingegaard, Primoz Roglic, Jay Vine, Remco Evenepoel, Sean Quinn, Steff Cras and others, with Vine and Vingegaard requiring ambulance transport. All riders are conscious and stable.

The breakaway at the time raced for the stage win, while the peloton rode neutralized to the finish, and no GC times were taken.

As updates come in on all these riders, we ask that you share them in this thread.

Team updates

Jay Vine broke his back

Vingegaard broke his collarbone and several ribs

Remco broke his collarbone and a scapula

BTW, this weekend Peacock will be carrying Paris Roubaix on Saturday. Definitely the best of the spring classics.
yeah, I was in the middle of watching the GCN preview when I got the news about Basque Country.
Correction. Men are Sunday. Women Saturday.

Getting up at 5 a.m. to watch the hell of the north. 260 km - 55 km on cobblestones.

MVdP is in fine form, fresh off winning his third Tour des Flandres; that’s his 5th win in a Monument, tied with Pogačar.

Mathieu also won E3 Saxo a few weeks ago; now up 21 wins in Classics. Tadej has 13 Classics himself, and way more overall wins (69-48.)

ETA: TP not racing this weekend. They’re both set to race at LDL in two weeks.

Last edited:

Team updates

Jay Vine broke his back

Vingegaard broke his collarbone and several ribs

Remco broke his collarbone and a scapula
Just awful. The crash didn’t look that bad in the above link. Are there more videos?

Looking in to it, there was a cement drainage ditch that they went over. It runs between the road and the dirt. Gnarly

ETA: only about 12 feet of the ditch is paved. The part they went over.

Getting up at 5 a.m. to watch the hell of the north. 260 km - 55 km on cobblestones.

MVdP is in fine form, fresh off winning his third Tour des Flandres; that’s his 5th win in a Monument, tied with Pogačar.

Mathieu also won E3 Saxo a few weeks ago; now up 21 wins in Classics. Tadej has 13 Classics himself, and way more overall wins (69-48.)

Cheering for Mads. Might as well have an upset!

Cheering for Mads. Might as well have an upset!

For sure, he and Jasper are best bets behind van der Poel.

Race officials made a last minute course change; they created a chicane (u-turn would be more apt) right before the downhill entry into the Forest of Arenberg sector. That’s one of 29 (!!) cobblestone sections totaling 55.7 km.

Should be insane.

Femmes did not disappoint.

Positive updates from Jay Vine and from Wout. A good day for cycling.

MvdP wins by three minutes, the largest gap in Paris-Roubaix since 2002. Amazing ride.

The current season King of Spring Ranking.

Not even worth watching when he shows up.
I figured this year would be like what they used to do with Fabian and just mark him even if it meant they lost. Yeah, no. Just like Tadej did earlier no one can hang and we get a ridiculous 60km breakaway.

I mean, damn. I sure hope we get both in the Tour.

MvdP wins by three minutes, the largest gap in Paris-Roubaix since 2002. Amazing ride.

I figured this year would be like what they used to do with Fabian and just mark him even if it meant they lost. Yeah, no. Just like Tadej did earlier no one can hang and we get a ridiculous 60km breakaway.

Is MvdP a tour contender or will the climbs be too much for him? When you can just pull away from 3 pros working together I would think you would have the power numbers to hang on the climbs.

Is MvdP a tour contender or will the climbs be too much for him? When you can just pull away from 3 pros working together I would think you would have the power numbers to hang on the climbs.

not his thing

incredible in Cyclocross and as good as gets for Monuments though

last year he did training intervals during TDF stages to prepare for the Worlds lol

his main role is being a fantastic leadout man for Jasper Phillipsen

lol

P.S. Anyone know what happened to MvDP in the men's race yesterday? He didn't win :oldunsure:
He got caught out and wasn't in the winning break. He was 11 seconds back in the chasing group. So he was right there.

BTW, my favorite race of the year, Fleche Wallonne, is on Wednesday. I love, love the racing up the Mur de Huy. I so want to ride that one of these days. This race is definitely not MvDP. No Tadej, so probably between Hirchi, Pidcock, and Mollema. Would love to see Carapaz grab it, though.

Last edited:
awful conditions in Wallonne today - SO many abandons.
I know, right? All the favorites - Teuns, Pidcock, Hirschi. Sideways raid/sleet at 40ish degrees for a while. Oof. Totally unexpected winner, but man Stevie Williams was shot out of a cannon on the last part of of the last climb.

WTF, Pogacar doing the Giro? Guess it gives him an excuse for losing to Rolgic or Vinegard. Between the crash and this, none of these guys will be at their best.

WTF, Pogacar doing the Giro? Guess it gives him an excuse for losing to Rolgic or Vinegard. Between the crash and this, none of these guys will be at their best.
He has said all along he wants the double. With Vengegaard in real doubt for the Tour he has a good shot. IMO right now if he only did the tour he'd pull a Lance and win by 7+ minutes.

The spring classics have been ridiculous. MvDP and Tadej have just torched the fields. The only one that wasn't a complete blowout was Fleche Wallonne. Who thought Stevie Williams would take that? I mean, every favorite was out due to cold (including a couple that went to the hospital for hypothermia, so it was bad), so it was PvE as much as PvP. Stevie will always be known as the hard man of Fleche, just as much as Desiree Linden is the hard woman of the Boston Marathon.

On to the Giro!

Last edited:
He has said all along he wants the double. With Vengegaard in real doubt for the Tour he has a good shot. IMO right now if he only did the tour he'd pull a Lance and win by 7+ minutes.

The spring classics have been ridiculous. MvDP and Tadej have just torched the fields. The only one that wasn't a complete blowout was Fleche Wallonne. Who thought Stevie Williams would take that? I mean, every favorite was out due to cold (including a couple that went to the hospital for hypothermia, so it was bad), so it was PvE as much as PvP. Stevie will always be known as the hard man of Fleche, just as much as Desiree Linden is the hard woman of the Boston Marathon.

On to the Giro!
Has someone fired up the FBG tournament?

On to the Giro!
I checked this morning, it is not open yet ;)

On to the Giro!
Tadej is at -450. Geraint is next at +450. I think we can safely assume everyone will have Tadej on their team, so he essentially doesn't count.

I wonder if there has ever been a more prohibitive favorite. He may well win by 10-15 minutes.

On to the Giro!
Tadej is at -450. Geraint is next at +450. I think we can safely assume everyone will have Tadej on their team, so he essentially doesn't count.

I wonder if there has ever been a more prohibitive favorite. He may well win by 10-15 minutes.
{if he doesn't crash out}

On to the Giro!

{if he doesn't crash out}
As always.

BTW, just read an article about his Liege performance. The hill he got away on he held 530 watts for 4.5 minutes (8.2 W/kg). Jaw hit floor.

Users who are viewing this thread