What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official 8th pick thread, 12 team redraft - results inside (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Mine is non-PPR.  Done ton of mocks and best teams are by taking RB in first, WR in 2nd, RB in 3rd, WR in 4th.  Usually back to RB in 5th.

1st - Comes down to Fournette, Gordon and Hunt.  I'm between the 1st 2

2nd - Best WR available.  Usually whatever is left of Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen (reason I may lean to Fournette if possible is to keep Allen open here - may not want to be too loaded with Chargers) or Davante Adams.  Seen Julio far that far too depending on how big the RB run is.  I'm fine with all of them.

3rd - Really want Alex Collins here but there are other acceptable backs, including Henry

4th - Thielen category is where I'm looking.  JuJu, etc. Can still get an explosive WR here.

5th - typically back to RB here for depth.  Starts getting thin.  All split backfield guys.  Burkhead, Lewis, Mack,Hyde types. Not sexy but need someone serviceable with upside.

6th-7th - Best available RB/WR.  Keep building depth.

8th - 9th - Start looking for QB. Watch runs.  Being in the middle I'm pretty safe of not getting caught late on runs.  I'm OK with weighting for a Jimmy G type, Ben, Rivers, etc.  May come back and get a 2nd QB in round 10/11 or so if really good ones are still there.

9th - Where I start peaking at team defenses, which score big in our league.  Hope to wait until round 10, but in our league when the runs start with Team D they go.  So would like to get a Jax, Ram, Chargers, etc type D.  Don't want to wait too long.

From then on it's depth.  I'll grab a kicker in round 13-14 as they do matter.  Have a few upside guys I have my eye on that nobody will likely pick so I can wait until the end.

Anybody doing something drastically different from the 8th spot?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't use a TE?

Anyway, I'm in a PPR, and #8 isn't a very fun spot to be.  I've had no luck taking Hopkins or Beckham in the 1st - I always end up with McCaffery as my lead RB, and I just can't deal with that.  I'm leaning Fournette/Hunt/Gordon, in that order, but it's a coin flip.  AJ Green won't make it to me in the 2nd (we're in Cincy) so someone like Allen may fall, which would be a good start.

Some decent mocks with Kelce in the 3rd, if available.  Mixon going high here might help push him down.  In general, though, I may committee both TE and QB this year.  My league will draft QBs high, so I expect to end up with a competitive core.

I'm not one to wait until the last round to get a kicker.  I love watching Tucker or Zeurlein blast those 55-yarders for 5 points.

So, nothing real drastically different here; just knowing your league and tailoring the mocks to that (and ignoring the grades you get).  Good luck.

Mine is non-PPR.  Done ton of mocks and best teams are by taking RB in first, WR in 2nd, RB in 3rd, WR in 4th.  Usually back to RB in 5th.

2nd - Best WR available.  Usually whatever is left of Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen (reason I may lean to Fournette if possible is to keep Allen open here - may not want to be too loaded with Chargers) or Davante Adams.  Seen Julio far that far too depending on how big the RB run is.  I'm fine with all of them.

3rd - Really want Alex Collins here but there are other acceptable backs, including Henry

4th - Thielen category is where I'm looking.  JuJu, etc. Can still get an explosive WR here.

5th - typically back to RB here for depth.  Starts getting thin.  All split backfield guys.  Burkhead, Lewis, Mack,Hyde types. Not sexy but need someone serviceable with upside.

8th - 9th - Start looking for QB. Watch runs.  Being in the middle I'm pretty safe of not getting caught late on runs.  I'm OK with weighting for a Jimmy G type, Ben, Rivers, etc.  May come back and get a 2nd QB in round 10/11 or so if really good ones are still there.

9th - Where I start peaking at team defenses, which score big in our league.  Hope to wait until round 10, but in our league when the runs start with Team D they go.  So would like to get a Jax, Ram, Chargers, etc type D.  Don't want to wait too long.

From then on it's depth.  I'll grab a kicker in round 13-14 as they do matter.  Have a few upside guys I have my eye on that nobody will likely pick so I can wait until the end.

I’m at the 7 slot in my long time, 12 team, non-PPR league that just changed to half-PPR this year. My plan is pretty much identical to yours. In all the mocks I’ve done, and looking at recent ADP, I like the options I’m afforded in each round when I go RB/WR/RB/WR/RB in the first 5 rounds. My league is also not TE-mandatory, so even more similarities between the plan you lay out and how I’ll be approaching my draft next week. 

My plan only goes sideways a bit if none of my targeted RBs are there in round 3. But still likely will stay the course 

My plan only goes sideways a bit if none of my targeted RBs are there in round 3. But still likely will stay the course 
agreed. In mocks I've run, if a big run on RBs happens between my 2nd and 3rd pick, that usually means a really good WR has fallen, so I've gone RB/WR/WR/RB/RB and been pretty happy with the results as well.

agreed. In mocks I've run, if a big run on RBs happens between my 2nd and 3rd pick, that usually means a really good WR has fallen, so I've gone RB/WR/WR/RB/RB and been pretty happy with the results as well.
But I love the WRs in the 4th. Thielen, Schuster etc. What kind of RBs did you get there in 4/5?

But I love the WRs in the 4th. Thielen, Schuster etc. What kind of RBs did you get there in 4/5?
4th: Lynch, KJohnson, sometimes Drake (though that's less and less likely in later drafts, imo)

5th: Hyde, Carson

6th Crowell, JWilliams, Mack

getting 2 of the above folks would make me feels reasonably confident going WR/WR in 2/3 I guess.

I like your style.  It's what I strive to do but, but,  sometimes things don't fall in line.

Have pick 8 in a 10 team ppr with limited keepers. Just got done doing about 6 half mocks and this is typically what I’m getting if I go RB/RB/WR/WR/WR:

1: Fournette, Gordon, or Cook

2: Cook, Barkley (once), Hunt

3: Tyreek, Fitz (most common), DT

4: Goodwin, Marvin Jones

5: Landry, Gordon, Robby Anderson

If I go RB/WR/RB/WR/WR:

2: Adams almost 100% of the time

3: Collins

So based off of percentages of what is most likely to occur it basically comes down to:

Adams/Collins or Cook/Fitz

Can’t say I see much of a difference. I think I would be happy with either one. From a personal standpoint I prefer Cook/Fitz because I have a man crush on both but statistically pretty similar. 

Again, this is sort of skewed because we have 4-8 keepers per team and I already have Kamara and Michael Thomas. 

Just did one more with RB/WR/WR/WR/RB:

Gordon, Adams, Fitz, DT, Freeman

I like that too. But waiting till the 5th you are banking on some luck at RB. 

I’m at the 7 slot in my long time, 12 team, non-PPR league that just changed to half-PPR this year. My plan is pretty much identical to yours. In all the mocks I’ve done, and looking at recent ADP, I like the options I’m afforded in each round when I go RB/WR/RB/WR/RB in the first 5 rounds. My league is also not TE-mandatory, so even more similarities between the plan you lay out and how I’ll be approaching my draft next week. 
I'm at 7 in a 12 team PPR, but we go QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex RB/WR/TE. K, DST. So TE's actually tick up value in mid rounds if you're talking a high quantity of receptions player. I think everyone at 7/8 is looking at Fournette/Gordon/Hunt. And in PPR, I just don't trust Fournette to make up that ground. I've mocked many ways, and so far the teams I've been most pleased with have been when I went WR/WR. With Kamara creeping up so much lately, I've been looking at something like Hopkins at 1, then Thomas/OBJ/Allen at 2, and getting Mixon/Howard as my RB1.  7 isn't a bad spot this year with a WR/WR strategy. You're in position to jump in before any big runs get out of control. My draft is on Saturday, and barring any crazy stuff happening between now and then, I'm actually getting comfortable with the WR/WR strategy. 

I'm at 7 in a 12 team PPR, but we go QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex RB/WR/TE. K, DST. So TE's actually tick up value in mid rounds if you're talking a high quantity of receptions player. I think everyone at 7/8 is looking at Fournette/Gordon/Hunt. And in PPR, I just don't trust Fournette to make up that ground. I've mocked many ways, and so far the teams I've been most pleased with have been when I went WR/WR. With Kamara creeping up so much lately, I've been looking at something like Hopkins at 1, then Thomas/OBJ/Allen at 2, and getting Mixon/Howard as my RB1.  7 isn't a bad spot this year with a WR/WR strategy. You're in position to jump in before any big runs get out of control. My draft is on Saturday, and barring any crazy stuff happening between now and then, I'm actually getting comfortable with the WR/WR strategy. 
if you could GUARANTEE me Howard at 3.7, I'd go WR/WR since I'm comfortable with him as a high volume RB.

Please report back with the results of your draft from this weekend as I draft on Tuesday night and would love to hear how it goes :)

Just shows how there are so many ways to approach your draft. If not for keepers I have liked my mocks the best when I start RB/RB. 

Happy with my squad

Stafford, Garrapolo

Gordon, Lamar Miller, Hyde, James White, Ekelar, TJ Yeldon

Julio Jones, JuJu, Marvin Jones, Stills, Cole (targeted after Lee Injury)

Tucker

Eagles D

Huge RB run, so much so that #11 ended up with Brown/Hopkins. Was hoping for Alex Collins or Henry but both gone early 3rd. Need Miller or Hyde to be solid. Love my defense and kicker - they win or lose games every week in our league.  Set and forget vs working the wire. Drafting from 8 was not very sexy. Other than QB after round 1 felt being early in runs was better than being late

Is Gronk into any consideration for ya'll mid or late second round?

Bloom likes this guy a lot.

I know it throws off the RB/WR/RB/WR/RB strategy

RB/TE/WR/RB/ then either RB or WR

if you could GUARANTEE me Howard at 3.7, I'd go WR/WR since I'm comfortable with him as a high volume RB.

Please report back with the results of your draft from this weekend as I draft on Tuesday night and would love to hear how it goes :)
Well, it went a little off track (always does), as the guy at 6 inexplicably took Hopkins instead of Antonio Brown. It took me all of 2 seconds to happily scoop up Brown. I had heard earlier in the night that Decker might be getting cut from NE, so when Gronkowski dropped to me in the second, I knew my strategy was changing...but in a good way. 

12 team, PPR, QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex RB-WR-TE/K/DST

1.7  Antonio Brown

2.6  Gronk

3.7  McKinnon  (Had my eye on Mixon, but was taken one pick before me)

4.6  Cooks

5.7  Ajayi

6.6  Hyde

7.5  Brees

8.6  Watkins

9.5  Roethlisberger

10.6  Chargers D/ST

11.5  OJ Howard

12.6  Clement

13.5  Matt Bryant

14.6  Chris Godwin

So, in retrospect, WR/WR didn't happen, but I am still pretty pleased with the outcome. Ajayi/Clement handcuff and possible Ben/Brown hookup on good weeks.

MY 10 team PPR draft in progress (Kamara keeper in 9th) pick 7th.

1st - CMC

2nd - M. Gordon

3rd - D. Baldwin

4th - L. Fitz

5th - J. Gordon

6th - E. Sanders

7th - B. Roth

8th - J. Williams

9th - A. Kamara

10th...

Just had my first draft tonight and was drafting out of the 8th slot... 12 team redraft 1/2 pt PPR... 

QB - Ryan, Mahomes

RB- Fournette, D Lewis , Ingram, Barber , Riddick, Yeldon

WR - M Thomas, TY Hilton, Ju-Ju, Garcon, M Williams

TE - Njoku 

DEF - Eagles

K - Bryant 

Just had my first draft tonight and was drafting out of the 8th slot... 12 team redraft 1/2 pt PPR... 

QB - Ryan, Mahomes

RB- Fournette, D Lewis , Ingram, Barber , Riddick, Yeldon

WR - M Thomas, TY Hilton, Ju-Ju, Garcon, M Williams

TE - Njoku 

DEF - Eagles

K - Bryant 
Looks like you went Fournette over the likes of who else? Then come back with Michael Thomas. Thomas is around a 13 on the high end or 21 on the low end #2 pick. I've seen him drop some. Then you went TY, whom some really like. I may be drinking that juice too. Every year I say stay away from TY. Now I'm targeting him again. Geesh!

Drafting tonight from the 8th spot and it seems like it comes down to Gordon or Fournette to open the draft as solid RB's really dry up early in every mock draft. Would probably take Kamara if he dropped and he drops to #8 on occasion with the Barkley and Hopkins picks before him. Gordon isn't sexy and will be the bell cow and has a solid floor. Fournette is intriguing simply because goal line carries, like Gordon, but that JAX D and running out the clock. I may follow Blooms advice and go Gronk at #17 unless someone ridiculous good falls... I've seen Thomas, Allen, Adams. Green here as well. Then look to get TY at 32 or perhaps Collins. Would love to get Collins in the 4th at #41, but I doubt he lasts that long? Will consider Ingram at #41 too! Then it's Lynch and Hyde to fill out the top 4 RB's later on... Perhaps pick up a Gordon, Watkins, Crowder, Marquise Goodwin type at pick #56. Although I would really like Hogan or Edelman somewhere in the mix better.

My goal is best players and at least 2-3 RB's, 2 WR's, or Gronk in the first 5 rounds. Without taking Gronk RB's and WR's are juicy early round picks. With Gronk you kinda hope players fall just far enough I am seeing. Some mocks they fall, most mocks these players get scooped early.

Realistic draft from the 8th hole:

8. Fournette over Gordon by a hair

17. Gronk

32. T.Y. Hilton - I drank the juice

41. Collins

56. Ingram - if people snooze too long. Otherwise Hogan or Edelman

65. Lynch - most likely gone. Otherwise Hogan or Edelman

80. Crowder types

Since some of us "7th Pick" folks have contaminated this thread already (guilty as charged! ;) )

I thought I'd post my results from last night here as well, from my 12 team league, 0.5ppr, QB,RB,RB,Rec,Rec,Rec,K,D (ie. non-TE-mandatory)

I'm pretty happy with the results...

AKamara, KAllen, ACollins, GTate, DThomas, ICrowell, BigBen, KJohnzon, JaxD, KBenjamin, ASmith, CRidley, CBoswell, JRoss

First 4 rounds went just as I expected them to (like most of the mocks i felt best about). I ended up going RB/WR/RB/WR. There wasn’t really a moment that tested me in those first 4 rounds where a player at another position dropped so far that I had to stray from my plan. In the 4th/5th round, though, that next level of RBs started flying off the board, which made me go for my WR3 before my backup RB in the 5th. When I took Crowell in the 6th I still got some ribbing that it was too early for him (I don’t agree) but I was happy that KJohnson was there for me in the 8th.

QB in the 7th was earlier than I hoped but QBs we’re starting to really go and I had Ben as the last of the top 6 tier of QBs, so I went for it, and then 5 QBs went right after my pick, so I feel good about getting the guy I wanted.

JaxD in the 9th was higher than I planned on taking a D, but when you’re staring at the DParker/KBenjamin/Garcon tier of WR and DukeJ/Booker/Ivory tier of RBs, they all are uninspiring and look the same, so I decided to try to go with a D that could make a difference this year. 

The rest of my draft I can churn on the waiver wire without remorse if something better comes along. 

And there you have it. 

Looks like you went Fournette over the likes of who else? Then come back with Michael Thomas. Thomas is around a 13 on the high end or 21 on the low end #2 pick. I've seen him drop some. Then you went TY, whom some really like. I may be drinking that juice too. Every year I say stay away from TY. Now I'm targeting him again. Geesh!

Drafting tonight from the 8th spot and it seems like it comes down to Gordon or Fournette to open the draft as solid RB's really dry up early in every mock draft. Would probably take Kamara if he dropped and he drops to #8 on occasion with the Barkley and Hopkins picks before him. Gordon isn't sexy and will be the bell cow and has a solid floor. Fournette is intriguing simply because goal line carries, like Gordon, but that JAX D and running out the clock. I may follow Blooms advice and go Gronk at #17 unless someone ridiculous good falls... I've seen Thomas, Allen, Adams. Green here as well. Then look to get TY at 32 or perhaps Collins. Would love to get Collins in the 4th at #41, but I doubt he lasts that long? Will consider Ingram at #41 too! Then it's Lynch and Hyde to fill out the top 4 RB's later on... Perhaps pick up a Gordon, Watkins, Crowder, Marquise Goodwin type at pick #56. Although I would really like Hogan or Edelman somewhere in the mix better.

My goal is best players and at least 2-3 RB's, 2 WR's, or Gronk in the first 5 rounds. Without taking Gronk RB's and WR's are juicy early round picks. With Gronk you kinda hope players fall just far enough I am seeing. Some mocks they fall, most mocks these players get scooped early.
Yeah at 8 i was looking @ Fournette/Gordon/Hunt...   thats what i did Fournette/Thomas/Hilton.  In the 2nd i was looking @ Thomas/Allen/D Freeman/AJ Green...Gronk went 2.11 last night.   In first rd 11 rbs and Brown as the lone wr...

Yeah at 8 i was looking @ Fournette/Gordon/Hunt...   thats what i did Fournette/Thomas/Hilton.  In the 2nd i was looking @ Thomas/Allen/D Freeman/AJ Green...Gronk went 2.11 last night.   In first rd 11 rbs and Brown as the lone wr...
I might like me some Gronk vs. second tier WR #1's. I've seen Thomas, Allen, or Adams available @ 2.05 pick 17 overall. 

I'm gearing up for Fournette (ranked like #17 in Yahoo) with my first pick at 8.  It was Gordon, now it's Fournette. Unless something really wild happens and I'd take A Brown or Kamara at 8. It's the Gronk coming back possibility. McCaffrey, Freeman and Howard probably there too at pick 17. 

I might like me some Gronk vs. second tier WR #1's. I've seen Thomas, Allen, or Adams available @ 2.05 pick 17 overall. 

I'm gearing up for Fournette (ranked like #17 in Yahoo) with my first pick at 8.  It was Gordon, now it's Fournette. Unless something really wild happens and I'd take A Brown or Kamara at 8. It's the Gronk coming back possibility. McCaffrey, Freeman and Howard probably there too at pick 17. 
This is where I'm at except at 1.9 -  Deciding between Gordon and Fournette.  Then Gronk at 2.4.  I think I like Gronk more than McCaffrey, MT, and Allen.  My DD has Allen 1.8 which seems high

Gordon 10, Fournette 11, Gronk 12, McCaffrey 16.

Anyone considering Gordon or Fournette  rd  1 and then McCaffrey in the 2nd if he is still there? Then best 2 wr in rounds 3 and 4?

If Brown or Kamara fall I will obviously take them in rd 1. I have the 7th pick. Anyone consider Barkley?

Cabby said:
Anyone considering Gordon or Fournette  rd  1 and then McCaffrey in the 2nd if he is still there? Then best 2 wr in rounds 3 and 4?

If Brown or Kamara fall I will obviously take them in rd 1. I have the 7th pick. Anyone consider Barkley?
I would do Gordon/Fournette and then CMC. I’m not as high on Barkley as most - I would take the aforementioned ahead of him. 

Cabby said:

I'm not super high on CMC, so I went WR in the 2nd since I felt the RB value in the 3rd was really good.

see my draft results about 8 post earlier in this thread for how my draft went and my thinking at the time. Reading my post a whole week later, I still agree with the decisions I made then ;)

From the 8 hole last weeken(12 yeams) .5

Hunt

Cook

McKinnon(injured after draft ended)

Baldwin

Goodwin

Lynch

R Wilson

Thompson

R Woods

Golliday

Doyle

J Brown

D

K

A Smith

DJ Moore 

I just finished from the 7th hole. It's a 0.5 ppr with 1 qb, 2rb, 2wr, te, 1 wr/rb/te, def, k. Elliot fell to 7th. I had to take him, right?

Qb- Stafford, Smith

Rb- Elliot, Collins, R. Freeman, Dion Lewis, Wilkins

Wr- Aj green, D. Thomas, Crabtree, R.anderson, Mike williams, Galloday

Te- Reed, Njoku 

Def- stream

K- Butker

Thoughts? Don't love my Wr and I don't have the greatest rb depth.

Users who are viewing this thread