What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

My biggest concern is that the Texans are falling behind in games and don't yet look like the well oiled offensive and defensive machine that we were hoping for. The reason Foster/Tate are so valuable is because you expect the Texans will rush for 18-20 TDs on the season but that is much tougher to do when you are trailing for 3.75 out of 4 quarters. I think they will right the ship but it hasn't been a very encouraging start to the season for them.

Reports are that Foster and Tate are both unhappy about the timeshare, and both have vocalized it to the media. I remember how DWill and Stewart were both open about loving the Thunder and Lightning approach. I wonder if this unhappiness motivates Foster, or conversely, makes Tate a malcontent.
Please provide a single quote or interview to back up your claim that Tate is unhappy about a timeshare, or that there is any friction between Foster and Tate. In case you aren't catching my drift, I'm saying its completely fabricated.

"4 the record I never waived Arian off the field typical Media talk trying to stir up stuff smh"

Thats a direct quote from Ben Tate's facebook.
Here's what I saw...
Houston Texans RB Ben Tate isn't happy being behind RB Arian Foster on the running back depth chart despite outplaying his counterpart in Week 1 versus the San Diego Chargers. "I would be lying to you if I told you that I embraced the complement role to someone else," Tate said. "That's not why I wanted to be in the NFL. That's not my dream to complement someone else. That's not what my attitude or why I work out is to complement someone else."
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=870746-texans---ben-tate-not-happy-as-second-fiddle :shrug:
Ya no where in his actual quote does he say he is unhappy, or frustrated with splitting carries. He basically says he has aspirations to be a lead back, which is what you expect the mindset of all backup players to be. Saying "he is unhappy" is typical media spin.

Texans should trade Foster and make Tate the future.
Are you basing this outlandish statement on watching them play or just the state line and perhaps you having Tate on your team?
Not outlandish at all. The Chargers made a mistake holding onto LT too long when they could have gone younger, cheaper and better with Michael Turner and Darren Sproles. I think Foster still has plenty in the tank for this season, and possibly next, but for the future they will get more value with Tate.
Tate is an UFA and will command a big contract next year.
I know and IMO it would be smarter for the Texans in the long run to lock him down and cut bait on Foster. Not sure what the cap implications would be with Foster's current contract though so it might not be possible.

This is not to say anything about how Foster or Tate will finish as fantasy RBs just a comment on the Texans franchise in general.
Tate hasn't proven yet that he can stay on the field throughout the season, so it would be risky to gamble on him. Foster gets nicked up in the offseason, but always manages to be there on game day. Tate hasn't.

My biggest concern is that the Texans are falling behind in games and don't yet look like the well oiled offensive and defensive machine that we were hoping for. The reason Foster/Tate are so valuable is because you expect the Texans will rush for 18-20 TDs on the season but that is much tougher to do when you are trailing for 3.75 out of 4 quarters. I think they will right the ship but it hasn't been a very encouraging start to the season for them.
I think the defense has looked fairly good. Both games they completely shut down the opposing offenses for long stretches. The offense has been completely out of sync and quite pitiful in the red zone until late in games in comeback mode.

Reports are that Foster and Tate are both unhappy about the timeshare, and both have vocalized it to the media. I remember how DWill and Stewart were both open about loving the Thunder and Lightning approach. I wonder if this unhappiness motivates Foster, or conversely, makes Tate a malcontent.
Please provide a single quote or interview to back up your claim that Tate is unhappy about a timeshare, or that there is any friction between Foster and Tate. In case you aren't catching my drift, I'm saying its completely fabricated.

"4 the record I never waived Arian off the field typical Media talk trying to stir up stuff smh"

Here's what I saw...
Houston Texans RB Ben Tate isn't happy being behind RB Arian Foster on the running back depth chart despite outplaying his counterpart in Week 1 versus the San Diego Chargers. "I would be lying to you if I told you that I embraced the complement role to someone else," Tate said. "That's not why I wanted to be in the NFL. That's not my dream to complement someone else. That's not what my attitude or why I work out is to complement someone else."
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=870746-texans---ben-tate-not-happy-as-second-fiddle :shrug:
Ya no where in his actual quote does he say he is unhappy, or frustrated with splitting carries. He basically says he has aspirations to be a lead back, which is what you expect the mindset of all backup players to be. Saying "he is unhappy" is typical media spin.
OK. I don't really care one way or another. I just supplied you with the quote. He didn't say he was unhappy, but he did say that he doesn't embrace the complement role.

I would expect more rough sledding for Foster/Tate fantasy potential the next several weeks. Their next four games are Baltimore, Seattle, SF, and St. Louis. Also KC at the end of that. Those are good defenses. The Texans arguably have one of the toughest schedules in the league this year.

Baltimore can be beaten. The zone should clear some lanes to the second level, and their LBs are vulnerable and probably the defense's weak link. Definitely a tough stretch, though.

I think the defense has looked fairly good. Both games they completely shut down the opposing offenses for long stretches. The offense has been completely out of sync and quite pitiful in the red zone until late in games in comeback mode.
Whatever the case the Texans need first half leads to make Foster/Tate the fantasy gold we were all hoping for.

jsharlan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243758/article/ben-tate-isnt-satisfied-complementing-arian-foster

Chaka said:
jsharlan said:
Chaka said:
Whatever the case the Texans need first half leads to make Foster/Tate the fantasy gold we were all hoping for.
Point taken that the offense's output is going to drive fantasy value.

But not to miss-state the week 2 game situation... the Texans led more of the game than they trailed. Texans led for about a quarter and a half total (around 22 minutes I think), Titans just under a quarter (about 14 minutes). And it was a one score game throughout, so the running game was never off the table.

(Edit to fix 4th Q vs overtime). The Texans did go away from the run in the final 5 minutes that the Titans had the 8 point lead. Then back to it in overtime. Tate was strong on the first drive, then was less effective until overtime and had an issue in blitz pickup. Foster was the better back over the course of the game, he had a couple of short runs as well but overall kept the team in much better down and distance. And then he also excelled on the overtime runs. Worth noting LT Duane Brown hurt his ankle and missed some time during the game too, but was back in the game for the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
jsharlan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243758/article/ben-tate-isnt-satisfied-complementing-arian-foster
Good job not reading the thread and posting the exact thing the other guy did already.

jsharlan said:

Good job not reading the thread and posting the exact thing the other guy did already.
In my original post I mentioned that Foster was unhappy too. Why didn't you question that assertion? Tate owner?

jsharlan said:

In my original post I mentioned that Foster was unhappy too. Why didn't you question that assertion? Tate owner?
Because Foster clearly wants to play every snap and not get pulled to rest, like any starter. I still have yet to see him complain in any media interviews. His body language on the sidelines shows you he doesn't like coming out. I'm a Houston Homer, obviously I like both players.

Just for reference...

In one 10T PPR keep 1 player League a guy who kept foster in RD 7 (would be keep able in round 6 next year) is approaching me about giving him up "plus" (adding a player) for dmartin (keepable in 5th) or forte (keepable in 1st).

I already have Tate (sniped in 8th) and I'm not particularly interested.

My only concern is that Foster gets his legs back under him and takes a larger share in thec2nd half of the season. Not entirely certain that will happen though. With the tough stretch I'd LOVE to ride him out for another couple weeks and buy at a bigger discount (maybe bell or fjax plus a wr3).

FYI in no way is this soliciting advice on running my team, Just throwing out insight that a) foster owner likely getting antsy and b) personal thoughts on how share may tilt in 2nd half.

Just for reference...

In one 10T PPR keep 1 player League a guy who kept foster in RD 7 (would be keep able in round 6 next year) is approaching me about giving him up "plus" (adding a player) for dmartin (keepable in 5th) or forte (keepable in 1st).

I already have Tate (sniped in 8th) and I'm not particularly interested.

My only concern is that Foster gets his legs back under him and takes a larger share in thec2nd half of the season. Not entirely certain that will happen though. With the tough stretch I'd LOVE to ride him out for another couple weeks and buy at a bigger discount (maybe bell or fjax plus a wr3).

FYI in no way is this soliciting advice on running my team, Just throwing out insight that a) foster owner likely getting antsy and b) personal thoughts on how share may tilt in 2nd half.
I think what we will see is the next 3-4 games will be solid but unspectacular (compared to Foster standards) and we will see the split between him and Tate be a little more even.

But after that, I think the Texans will put it all onhis shoulders and come weeks 10-15, Foster is going to strap some fantasy owners on his back and carry them into the playoffs. During that stretch, they come off a bye, Get the Colts at home, get the cards, then 3 home games against the Jags, Raiders, and Patriots before going back on the road to play the Jags and Colts again.

Im inclined to agree a bit on him getting an increasing role down the stretch. It's for that reason only I'm considering targeting him in a couple leagues if I can get him for the right price.

That said, the passing game is going well enough that I'm nervous the entire run game is in decline.

Im inclined to agree a bit on him getting an increasing role down the stretch. It's for that reason only I'm considering targeting him in a couple leagues if I can get him for the right price.

That said, the passing game is going well enough that I'm nervous the entire run game is in decline.
HOU is averaging the 3rd most yards per game (146) and have the 11th most attempts thus far. I think the running game is still crucial to HOU's gameplan. How else are they going to get a TE wide open on every single play lol?

Week 1 Foster had 18 carries and Tate had 9. Afterwards, Kubiak said he needed to work in Tate more.

So this week Foster had 19 carries and Tate had 9.

Week 1 Foster had 18 carries and Tate had 9. Afterwards, Kubiak said he needed to work in Tate more.

So this week Foster had 19 carries and Tate had 9.
..and Kubiak follows up with..

Coach Gary Kubiak believes "it's important (the Texans) continue to give Ben Tate his touches."
"Ben's playing at an extremely high level right now," Kubiak said. "So it's important to give him his touches and we will." Tate was expected to have a bigger workload as the Texans eased Arian Foster back into action, but he's been out-touched 44-23. That's despite the fact that Tate has been much more productive on a per-touch basis. It was never realistic to expect the duo to have a 50-50 timeshare, but even 65-35 is looking like it might end up a stretch. There's no denying Tate's talent, but he'll be a shaky FLEX option as long as Foster is healthy.

its because the media, and fantasy fans, are reading into Kubiak's comments the wrong way. People think when Kubiak says things like, "I wish I would have given a more even split of carries that game", or "I need to give Ben Tate his touches" that it means he feels Tate is out playing Foster or that Foster is breaking down. Anyone who knows Kubiak knows he is a script guy. He scripts the first 20 plays of every single game. He scripts personnel usage before games. What he is really saying is he got away from his script during the game. He wrote that script because Foster missed the entire training camp and he wants to ease him back into game shape. But during the heat of the game, Kubiak tends to lean on the players he trusts.

Kubiak is getting to be real tiresome with all the "We gotta get Tate some carries" crap. He keeps saying that he needs to be involved, everyone watching can see he's more productive than Foster, but barely scratches half the carries Forster gets. Hmmm...if Tate being more productive and seeing Foster is not completely in game shape can only get half the carries then what will it be when Foster is at full speed?

I have Tate in a league and the problem is he's too good to drop and just not getting the ball enough to start. Hello wasted roster spot!!! If Foster were to get hurt, THEN serious advantage.

Rotoworld is garbage. Tate was not "expected to have a bigger workload in week 2" by anyone who has ever watched Gary Kubiak and the Texans for more than one game the past three years. Their math is also stupid--the touches are almost exactly 65/35 right now, and they say 65/35 "might be a stretch."

Jsharlan is right on in that people are reading way too much into Kubiak's comments.

its because the media, and fantasy fans, are reading into Kubiak's comments the wrong way. People think when Kubiak says things like, "I wish I would have given a more even split of carries that game", or "I need to give Ben Tate his touches" that it means he feels Tate is out playing Foster or that Foster is breaking down. Anyone who knows Kubiak knows he is a script guy. He scripts the first 20 plays of every single game. He scripts personnel usage before games. What he is really saying is he got away from his script during the game. He wrote that script because Foster missed the entire training camp and he wants to ease him back into game shape. But during the heat of the game, Kubiak tends to lean on the players he trusts.
If we were only relying on Kubiak's word to gauge the situation, I'd agree with you. Instead, we also have their stat lines, where Foster (37/136) is averaging 3.72 ypc and Tate (18/147) is averaging 8.2 ypc. Beyond the stat lines, it's also clear Tate just looks better running the ball. When you put it all together, it does seem kind of odd that Tate wouldn't be getting more work regardless of how you feel about the situation.

Foster says he's still shaking off a bit of rust, so we'll see how this plays out. At some point however, if the dynamic between the two doesn't change, I think it's feasible that Tate starts eating into more carries. What he's doing isn't only impressive in comparison to Foster, it's also impressive in general. Through two weeks he has the 9th most rushing yards and by and far the highest ypc amongst all RBs. If it somehow continues while on his low volume of touches, it simply won't be able to be ignored.

Tate's numbers have been really good, but it doesn't mean that the Texans are A) going to move away from Foster or B) Tate has no value as a flex play.

Tate has been getting 12 touches a game. His carries are on pace for 144, less than his 2011 year. In 2011, Tate put up 175/942/4. Not bad as a flex play, even with a healthy Foster. Even in that year, Foster was a top 3 fantasy RB with 278/1224/10 (and 53/617/2 receiving).

The Texans run, and they run a lot. One of the rare situations where both guys have value. Foster owners should be far happier with his week 1 workload (18 rushes, 6 catches) than what he did in 2012 (run into a brick wall 15 times a week).

Point is, even if Tate is bumped to 15-18 touches a game, Foster is going to end up with 18-20 carries and 3-6 receptions.

The Texans ran the ball 508 times last year and their backs caught 54 passes. In 2011, the Texans ran the ball 546 times and their backs caught 67 passes.

Schaub threw 93 passes in the first two weeks, and the Texans had to come from behind in both games. That's not going to continue all season.

If we were only relying on Kubiak's word to gauge the situation, I'd agree with you. Instead, we also have their stat lines, where Foster (37/136) is averaging 3.72 ypc and Tate (18/147) is averaging 8.2 ypc. Beyond the stat lines, it's also clear Tate just looks better running the ball. When you put it all together, it does seem kind of odd that Tate wouldn't be getting more work regardless of how you feel about the situation.

Foster says he's still shaking off a bit of rust, so we'll see how this plays out. At some point however, if the dynamic between the two doesn't change, I think it's feasible that Tate starts eating into more carries. What he's doing isn't only impressive in comparison to Foster, it's also impressive in general. Through two weeks he has the 9th most rushing yards and by and far the highest ypc amongst all RBs. If it somehow continues while on his low volume of touches, it simply won't be able to be ignored.
Your SN is pretty fitting when you bring up the stat line argument again. If you actually watched the game there is no way you can claim Tate ran better than Foster against the titans. They both ran well. Tate burst through holes, Foster broke tackles and had a nice cutback. The only difference is Tate got a well blocked long run in and Foster didn't. Well also the touches were 19/9 in favor of Foster.

Its getting to be a bit of a dead horse. If you want to read into stat lines and coachspeak and believe Foster is going to be giving up his lion's share of the touches, thats your prerogative. You can dismiss what us Houston homers have said about the situation and what we know about Kubiak. Theres a tough 4 game stretch coming up, this picture will remain cloudy for at least a month.

I believe a large part of the bolded is that people have been waiting for Tate to takeover. There are some that look for any indication that Tate will become the guy because its been expected ever since he was drafted. There has been doubt and doom-and-gloom surrounding Foster since day one. And he just keeps producing and I just keep plugging him into my lineup.

Your SN is pretty fitting when you bring up the stat line argument again. If you actually watched the game there is no way you can claim Tate ran better than Foster against the titans. They both ran well. Tate burst through holes, Foster broke tackles and had a nice cutback. The only difference is Tate got a well blocked long run in and Foster didn't. Well also the touches were 19/9 in favor of Foster.

Its getting to be a bit of a dead horse. If you want to read into stat lines and coachspeak and believe Foster is going to be giving up his lion's share of the touches, thats your prerogative. You can dismiss what us Houston homers have said about the situation and what we know about Kubiak. Theres a tough 4 game stretch coming up, this picture will remain cloudy for at least a month.
I only mentioned the stat lines because you implied with your last post that all Tate hype is coming solely from Kubiak's mouth when that clearly isn't the case. The "stat line" argument is still relevant, regardless. Arguing the contrary is silly.

I've said all along, in the numerous HOU RB threads that Foster is the RB HOU will lean on when it counts and his intangibles trump Tate's but you're not the only one who has seen them both run. Tate's clearly has more burst and is hitting the hole harder than Foster. With 20+ touches I have no doubt he'd be more productive at this point. Ultimately, it's possible that Tate could see a volume bump at the expense of Foster (or just in general, if HOU ever builds a real lead) if he continues to run as well. This isn't so much a knock on Foster as it is praise of Tate. Like I said, Tate has looked impressive in comparison to a lot of starting RBs.

The Duane Brown injury along with the upcoming 3 game schedule will obviously hurt Foster. His goal line prowless and possibility of catching some passes can still leave him as a low-end rb1 though. After this tough stretch, things get MUCH easier. He should be a top 5 rb over the 2nd half of the season. Buy after the bye.

People who are saying that Tate "clearly is more productive" are either really new to paying attention to the Texans or they are not looking that closely and are fixated on stat lines or they confuse "physical" running with "dynamic" running.

The standard operation in Houston is what it has been. Tate looks great in short bursts and runs physical and if you track his performance in Houston, he tends to rip off a long run here and there which inflates that YPC which so many people seem desperate to use to support their position. But what those people are missing is the fact that, a good number of times, those long runs occur after Foster has done the heavy lifting (which is fine) but more importantly, what they are missing is that Tate's average ypc is seldom affected by the goal line and crunch time carries that Foster gets. If you are 1st and goal at the 2, the most you can get is two yards. There are probably 6-8 times a game where Foster is used to punch it in from the goal line or to simply kill the clock at the end. Those carries "hurt" Foster in the eyes of people who only read numbers. Even if you had 150 yards on 12 carries, when you factor in a half dozen short yardage opportunities (which many of those are SCORING opportunities), then you kill your YPC by about 1/3rd.

But in reality, the dynamic player is Foster. The trusted player is Foster. The guy that is always going to be in there when it matters and usually be relied on to get the all-important TD in the redzone is Foster.

People can continue to sound the siren on what they think they are seeing but the coaches are using the player they know is their ticket and that is the guy you want in fantasy, especially in November and December. The Texans know they don't want foster carrying the ball 100+ times in this first month, especially with the early schedule. But when the leaves start falling, it will be Foster who carries them to the playoffs if they are going to go.

Another subpar game for Foster.
He looked the best he has all season and was having a nice game before the Texans dug themselves a hole. The Texans just abandoned the run in the second half after Schaub's pick six and the woeful punt return TD. Foster's running isn't a concern; Schaub and the special teams unit making mistakes that force Houston to throw 40 passes a game might be.

People who are saying that Tate "clearly is more productive" are either really new to paying attention to the Texans or they are not looking that closely and are fixated on stat lines or they confuse "physical" running with "dynamic" running.

The standard operation in Houston is what it has been. Tate looks great in short bursts and runs physical and if you track his performance in Houston, he tends to rip off a long run here and there which inflates that YPC which so many people seem desperate to use to support their position. But what those people are missing is the fact that, a good number of times, those long runs occur after Foster has done the heavy lifting (which is fine) but more importantly, what they are missing is that Tate's average ypc is seldom affected by the goal line and crunch time carries that Foster gets. If you are 1st and goal at the 2, the most you can get is two yards. There are probably 6-8 times a game where Foster is used to punch it in from the goal line or to simply kill the clock at the end. Those carries "hurt" Foster in the eyes of people who only read numbers. Even if you had 150 yards on 12 carries, when you factor in a half dozen short yardage opportunities (which many of those are SCORING opportunities), then you kill your YPC by about 1/3rd.

But in reality, the dynamic player is Foster. The trusted player is Foster. The guy that is always going to be in there when it matters and usually be relied on to get the all-important TD in the redzone is Foster.

People can continue to sound the siren on what they think they are seeing but the coaches are using the player they know is their ticket and that is the guy you want in fantasy, especially in November and December. The Texans know they don't want foster carrying the ball 100+ times in this first month, especially with the early schedule. But when the leaves start falling, it will be Foster who carries them to the playoffs if they are going to go.
All this truth aside, Tate continues to cap Foster's ceiling. Foster's great, Tate is good and they'll continue to cannibalize one another.

All this truth aside, Tate continues to cap Foster's ceiling. Foster's great, Tate is good and they'll continue to cannibalize one another.
in the short-term this is probably true. we'll see what another couple losses does.

Who would you guys rather have at this point: Foster with Tate stealing touches or Richardson dealing with a pretty good looking Bradshaw?

I'm trying to gauge interest especially now that their schedules are almost exactly the same.

donkshow said:
Another subpar game for Foster.
4.5 ypc is subpar? I thought everyone's evidence that he is breaking down was his ypc? Its not his fault they had to abandon the run and Matt Schaub sucks. I said before its going to be rough sledding the next few games as they play some good defenses. Unfortunately the steady decline of Schaub is probably going to affect him as well.

Texans’ Arian Foster ready, waiting for more carries

Posted on September 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm by Brian T. Smith

Arian Foster is not afraid to shoulder the load of a featured back. ( Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle )

Whenever the Texans want more Arian Foster, the three-time Pro Bowl running back is ready.

Foster said Thursday he’s definitely open to carrying the ball more, but understands the team’s coaches have a long-term plan this season, which involves initially splitting rushes with backup Ben Tate.

“I’m feeling good. My body feels good,” said Foster, who leads the Texans in rushing yards (190) and carries (49). “I’m ready to go whenever they want to let me go. But you’ve got to be patient and trust coach.”

Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison acknowledged Wednesday the team will reach a moment where it has to make a decision about how it handles the Foster-Tate duo and “whatever happens, happens.”

“I think we’re progressing to a point,” Dennison said.

Foster recorded 18, 19 and 12 carries during Weeks 1-3. Tate carried the ball nine times each contest.

Through three games last season, Foster had 79 rushes for 294 yards, including two of three contests with at least 105 yards. He also led the NFL in touches last season and didn’t play this preseason due to injuries, which pushed the Texans to initially limit his workload.

Asked at the end of a media interview about his desire to carry the ball more now that three regular-season weeks have passed, Foster carefully chose his words.

“I’m going to go ahead and say I feel like I can do what I’ve been doing for years and I’ll leave it right there,” Foster said.

Tate has a higher YAC than Foster has YPC. Even if you take away the 60-yard run he's still averaging 4.7ish YPC. Foster looks good but Tate just isn't going anywhere.

Texans seriously choked yesterday, but from a fantasy perspective it was extremely heartening to see Foster play a dual-threat game straight out of 2011. His prowess as a receiver was one of the things that really set him apart during his first two seasons as a starter.

Tate just looks better than Foster right now. Not sure why it is but it certainly appears that way to my eyes. I wonder if they start making him more of a factor after yesterday?

Tate fumbles, he gets benched. When Foster fumbles, I have yet to see Kubiak bench him. I think that right there tells you how the coaching staff feels. The 33-8 split this game was off because Tate got benched, but as I said before 2/3 split for Foster is what its going to be barring a major change.

Tate fumbles, he gets benched. When Foster fumbles, I have yet to see Kubiak bench him. I think that right there tells you how the coaching staff feels. The 33-8 split this game was off because Tate got benched, but as I said before 2/3 split for Foster is what its going to be barring a major change.
I understand that, but purely from a running perspective Tate seems to be much better than foster now.

Tate just looks better than Foster right now. Not sure why it is but it certainly appears that way to my eyes. I wonder if they start making him more of a factor after yesterday?
Wait, so Tate fumbles and gets benched, and yet you wonder if they will make him MORE of a factor after yesterday? Are you actually using your eyes to watch the games?

I understand that, but purely from a running perspective Tate seems to be much better than foster now.
Then you aren't very good at watching football. Foster looked good again against Seattle. Tate looked good as well in his limited touches. So the status quo says Kubiak isn't going to change what he is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread