What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (1 Viewer)

I know the Ravens have had their problems on offense, have been winning by the slimmest of margins and squeaked out a few W's they probably shouldn't have.  With all that being said I think they lay a beating down on the Steelers this week.

The only chance the Steelers have is for Ben to have a game like he did against the Chargers a few weeks ago and to be able to maintain long drives to keep the defense off the field.  Doing so behind that line is going to be a challenge.

My prediction:   Ravens 35, Steelers 17.
The Ravens have scored 42 points, combined, their last three games against this murderer's row: a reeling Miami team, the friggin' Bears, and a crippled Browns squad. They are all out of sorts and I don't think they can fix it this year. Too many missing pieces.

I'm much closer to what @The_Man is posting as a final score (and just so you know, he's usually way more optimistic than I am). I'm just trying to figure out the weirdest score and haven't gotten there yet. 15-11 sounded good for a while, but we'll see.....

Good call!

I just looked this up. Tomlin has never had a losing season (though that might changes this year) and his .648 winning percentage is higher than everyone ahead of him on the career wins list except Shula, Halas and Belichick. That’s pretty distinguished company.

He’s 20th with 150 career wins. Up next for him are:

19. Steve Owen, 153 (HOF)
18. Joe Gibbs, 154 (HOF)
17. Bud Grant, 158 (HOF)
16. Mike Holmgren 161
15. Paul Brown 166 (HOF)
13 (tie). Mike Shanahan and Tom Coughlin 170

Starting in 2021, the HOF changed its rules to save one finalist spot per year for a coach. Vermeil gets in this year, and I think Shanahan, Holmgren and Coughlin should follow pretty quickly. Based on all of this, Tomlin has already earned a place in the HOF.

Harbaugh is 27th with 135 wins. Separating him from Tomlin are:

26. McCarthy, 138 (and counting)
25. Dungy, 139 (HOF)
24. Marv Levy 143 (HOF)
22. (Tie) Payton and Carroll 148 (and counting)
21. Cowher 149 (HOF)

If he goes 3-3 to finish this year 11-6, then goes 11-6 the next two years, he’ll have 160 wins with a .622 win percentage. At that point, he’s probably a Hall of Famer already, even without another Super Bowl, or without additional years of amassing wins to follow.
How much longer do you think Tomlin & Harbaugh will coach?

Another one to go into the annals of Goofball Steelers/Ravens Games. 

Baltimore just isn't very good.

I jinxed the hell out of them a few weeks ago by praising their passing game. The QB went into a funk immediately afterwards. The OL - who somehow played pretty well vs Cleveland's pass rushers - is bad. The running game has no consistency.

How can a defense that was only on the field for 6 minutes (!!!) in the first half come out looking gassed in the second? Now Humphrey - who was not having a banner year, but is one of the team leaders - is done for the year.

If the other AFC teams weren't so bi-polar, I'd wager Baltimore wouldn't make the playoffs at all. They have no players left. They're having to play guys who were sweeping floors at their local high schools last week.

By the way, I'm seeing Harbaugh getting roasted in some circles for the 2 pt try at the end. I think it was the right decision and a great play call. Watt screwed it up just enough and Lamar's pass was off just enough.

Another one to go into the annals of Goofball Steelers/Ravens Games. 

Baltimore just isn't very good.

I jinxed the hell out of them a few weeks ago by praising their passing game. The QB went into a funk immediately afterwards. The OL - who somehow played pretty well vs Cleveland's pass rushers - is bad. The running game has no consistency.

How can a defense that was only on the field for 6 minutes (!!!) in the first half come out looking gassed in the second? Now Humphrey - who was not having a banner year, but is one of the team leaders - is done for the year.

If the other AFC teams weren't so bi-polar, I'd wager Baltimore wouldn't make the playoffs at all. They have no players left. They're having to play guys who were sweeping floors at their local high schools last week.

By the way, I'm seeing Harbaugh getting roasted in some circles for the 2 pt try at the end. I think it was the right decision and a great play call. Watt screwed it up just enough and Lamar's pass was off just enough.
100% this.   The Ravens and Steelers teams of the previous 10-20 years would be running away with this division.

What are the odds Harbough determines Lamar isn't ready to return Week 16? He hasn't played well in the last two months and Huntley seemed pretty effective. Or is Jackson the starter and likely to play?

Related but more of a rhetorical: How does 2021 Lamar make the Pro Bowl over Josh Allen? I look at the picture of the six Pro Bowl QBs and think "one of these is not like the others."

Sheesh. Unbelievable. 

I'd say put Duvernay at QB and run the Wing T, but he's banged up too. Lamar Jackson will try to talk his way into playing, but it's gonna be Josh Johnson.

They could only dress 13 defensive players for practice the other day.

I wouldn't play anyone who is under contract for next year. 

I don't pretend to understand the tiebreakers, but how did Baltimore get smoked and move UP a spot to #7? Though, if Miami wins tonight, the Ravens get knocked back to #8? The bottom of the AFC playoff hunt is putrid.

Johnson played about as well as could be expected yesterday. There was just no way he could keep up with the Bengals' war wagon. Every single Bengal on offense crushed their Raven defensive counterpart.

I don't pretend to understand the tiebreakers, but how did Baltimore get smoked and move UP a spot to #7? Though, if Miami wins tonight, the Ravens get knocked back to #8? The bottom of the AFC playoff hunt is putrid.

Johnson played about as well as could be expected yesterday. There was just no way he could keep up with the Bengals' war wagon. Every single Bengal on offense crushed their Raven defensive counterpart.
Yeah, that was a cornucopia of fantasy points for Bengals owners 🙃

What an insanely stressful but not unsurprising season overall. Losing the rb room preseason and then the constant chipping away due to injury of multiple position groups, especially Lamar and the db's, was just too much for the team to take. On the plus side, that Harbaugh had this team competitive in almost every game right to the end and against some incredible competition is proof that he is a good leader of men who knows how to motivate and keep players looking forward rather than dwelling on the losses and I don't recall any finger pointing or blaming from coaches or players. A+ to the coaches on that front.

We also had time to evaluate a few players and got to see the likes of Averett, Huntley, and Stephens for extended action and they showed that they are good depth pieces who can fill in or start if needed without the team losing too much provided it's for normal injury/covid levels and not armageddon as this season was. 

On the other hand, Harbaugh made some curious in game decisions that may have cost the team opportunities (the two point conversion against the Steelers in their first meeting) and both coordinators had a lot of issues that need to be addressed. Roman has a puzzling passing game plan that at times had mutlitple receivers in the same area and he doesn't seem to have a plan on how to get playmakers such as Bateman and Duvernay the ball even with the blueprint of Patterson in Atlanta and Samuel in Sf. Hell, even Claypool was a force for the Steelers yesterday. There is no imagination on the passing front, imo. On defense it's either Wink and his scheming or the players themselves but for whatever reason the team still could not generate a consistent pass rush this season which led to a depleted secondary and a lesser talented lb corp being exposed week after week. It was maddening.

There a are a bunch a players that will be axed in the offseason and hopefully EDC finds a way to bring in fresher, younger legs to the d-line and can solidify the o-line after taking the "L" and shooting Villenueva into a volcano and doing more than wishing and hoping Stanley is ever fully healthy again. EDC needs to be aggressive and pro-active on that position group.

Overall I was thrilled, stressed, excited, pissed and entertained by a group of hard working professionals who cared about their job and laid it all out there week after week. Kudos to the entire team for that and Wait Til Next Year!

Good post @Joe Schmo. Post here more often! I'm sure everyone's tired of my drivel alone by now.

My initial post mortem:

1. I'm not a guy who usually calls for heads every time something goes wrong, but I think it's time to move on from Greg Roman. His situational play-calling baffles me. I think @The_Man mentioned it the game thread yesterday about his calls when they are near the goal line. Also, and Joe touched on it above, how many games has Bateman come out of the gates looking like he'd have a monster day only to disappear? And yesterday you had the Steelers, who couldn't stop ME in the run game, and Roman plays right into their hands. I dunno, man. Might be time for a change there.

2. Among players who will probably be gone are: Campbell (if he retires; if not, I want him back - great leader), Jimmy Smith (body just won't hold up), Villanueva (I'll drive him to the airport), Boykin, Brandon Williams, Watkins, McPhee, Houston, maybe Bynes & Tayvon Young. Also, isn't Averett a FA? If so, he'll get more money somewhere else than Baltimore will pay him.

3. I'm not gonna dwell on Harbaugh's end-game decisions too much. I didn't mind either of the 2 pt tries or, really, any of those calls. I thought they were all justifiable when looked at a certain way. They didn't work out :shrug:

4. Given the Ravens extraordinary luck early in the season, they were probably closer to a 6-11 team than 8-9. Plus, their fortunate good health last season got karma'd this year.

5. I don't know what happened to Lamar the last month he played, but he was a mess. And that's after it looked like he had taken his game up a notch earlier in the season. I saw rumors that COVID screwed him up worse than reported. It also may be that playing hero ball the first two months finally caught up with him.

6. I don't even know what to say about the offensive line. Just getting Stanley back at - hopefully - full strength isn't going to cut it. Zeitler was fine, as was Mekari, and I thought Bozeman was ok. Cleveland played well yesterday, I thought, but he's been slower than I had hoped to grasp things. I guess they'd be ok going Stanley, Zeitler, Bozeman, Cleveland, Mekari next season but there's no depth other than Tyre Phillips (who is awful at Tackle). I don't know how to address this other than the draft or hope to hit lightning in a bottle with a cheap FA pickup.

7. Oweh hit the rookie wall after flashing some early on, then got hurt. But I like him. Bowser was probably their most consistent player on D. I'm starting to think Queen is what he is, but maybe a light bulb comes on. Regardless, they need another strong pass rusher and another stout ILB. And they need to rebuild that D line - Williams & Campbell are likely gone.

8. For the first time in years, I really like the WR group. Bateman runs routes like a 10 year vet (The_Man likened him to Derrick Mason), Brown came out of the gates smoking and was playing like a Pro Bowler the first half of the season before getting disappeared by Roman, Duvernay makes something happen almost every time he touches it except jet sweeps, Proche had a great game a couple of weeks ago then was a healthy scratch the very next (????). Maybe sign a vet cheap and draft someone late, but this is the strongest WR room they've had in years. TE is very good, though they really missed Boyle when he was out. Ricard is a monster.

9. Cincy's obviously on the rise. Cleveland's season went south on them but I still think they are gonna be good for the foreseeable future. Pittsburgh will bounce back once they figure out what they're doing at QB. That division is going to be brutal.

10. To Joe's point above about the coaching holding things together, I agree. Baltimore played hard in every game, even the three games they got smoked in (Cincy x 2, Miami). And there was no turmoil or drama. I'm also going credit the players for a lot of that. They believed in their coaches and in themselves. The organization is a solid as any. I think I can only count 3 teams that have 2 or less coaches this century (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NE) - am I missing someone?

11. I'm excited for next season. Get healthy (Dobbins, Edwards, and Peters will make a huge difference just by being there), iron out some play calling issues, and have a good FA-signing/draft period. I fully expect them to be right in the mix in 2022.

Agree with you UH on moving on from Roman. It's in his DNA to right the running game around an athletic QB and then burn out his welcome and I think he is at the end of line here in Baltimore. Wish we could go back in time and pluck another Gary Kubiak type who has imagination and in game understanding along with good scheming. Not sure who's out there but be nice to ramp up the O with all the tools we have...Barring injury😳

Was not aware of Averett's status and it will be sad to see him go if he does because he showed me enough to know he is a gamer. Agree with you on Campbell, love to see him back as a leader but understand he may be worn out so good luck to him if so. Of the others I think Brandon Williams is the only real loss and while he flashed at times EDC may be able to find a fatty to plug in to be a run stopper. Hell, I'm willing to sign a vet minimum if all they need is a fatty.🙃 The rest are replaceable parts.

Queen is subpar but serviceable if he has the right partner at mike and db help behind. He gets lost in space, overruns contain and can be outmuscled but does have quickness. If only he knew how to tackle. LB is a need position this year, imo. Bowser suffered a torn achilles yesterday cuz why not? Add him to the pile of walking wounded to end the season.

And yes on the wr group but Hollywood needs to get his head straight fulltime and I wonder if he is a fa casualty of his own accord after next season? Ravens may want to plan accordingly.

Lastly, I think Lamar was a total wreck by the end of his season and am glad he sat for the last few weeks to hopefully get himself straight again. He is awesome at recognizing what he needs to work on and by all accounts is very coachable so maybe seeing the game from the sidelines opened his eyes to a few things. Huntley is a nice back-up for now but I am not too upset that he didn't flash even more so to keep the Trade Lamar crowd quiet this offseason. Folks just don't understand what a special player he is and the regret this city would have if he was run out of town.

3. I'm not gonna dwell on Harbaugh's end-game decisions too much. I didn't mind either of the 2 pt tries or, really, any of those calls. I thought they were all justifiable when looked at a certain way. They didn't work out :shrug:
Im with you on this point, love me some go-for-it Harb's. Do you listen to 105.7 in the mornings? Mike Preston is on there on Mondays after game day and he pillories Harbaugh for those types of decisions and it makes my eyes roll. Such old school thinking. Unfortunately that leads to listeners grabbing hold and running with it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with you on this point, love me some go-for-it Harb's. Do you listen to 105.7 in the mornings? Mike Preston is on there on Mondays after game day and he pillories Harbaugh for those types of decisions and it makes my eyes roll. Such old school thinking. Unfortunately that leads to listeners grabbing hold and running with it as well.
I don't listen to sports talk radio at all anymore, but I'm out of market for 105.7 anyway (I guess I could stream it....nah). Preston has always been a doom-and-gloom guy - good writer, but his thing gets old quickly. Does he still give a "C" or "D" to every Ravens unit each Monday no matter the outcome?

I have a subscription with The Athletic and Jeff Zeirbeck (sp?) is great for Ravens coverage. He's not a blind homer, but he's not an attack dog like Preston either.

I may be wrong about Averett - don't take my word for it - but I thought I read that a few weeks ago. 

I'll give Roman some credit in that he figured out a way to turn the NFL on its head. But it's becoming obvious to me that his imagination on where that type of offense can go is limited. I don't want another retread at OC and I'm not sure who they could get or promote to goose things up a little. What's the feel there on Tee Martin or Williams as OC?

Yep, Preston is still handing out grades and still believes in harping on the negative while downplaying the positive. He is tiresome and I only hate listen for 15 mins Monday mornings as I shower then quickly switch to morning dj bs banter on my commute. 105.7 totally revamped the morning show and I find it unlistenable for the most part.

Jeff Zrebiec is a guest on the pm show sometimes and he is good, level headed and regular. Will have to seek him out on the Athletic👍 The PM show has Jason La Confora and Ken Weinman and they are pretty good with La Confora having the national audience even though a local guy. One of my favorite in season guest is Bobby Depaul who breaks down the Ravens in a very accessible manor and he comes across as a beer and brat kind of guy.

Tee Martin has been mentioned but nothing more than in passing at this point but James Urban has a little buzz. He coached under both Andy Reid and Marvin Lewis before coming to the Ravens so he has a solid foundation. He's never been a play caller as far as I can tell so not sure how viable.

Surprising Ravens stat of the day(to me anyway): Ravens finished third in the league in rushing with 2479 yds and 5th in avg at 4.8. Sure didn't seem that way with the three yards and a cloud of dust from the geriatric set but goes to show sometimes your eyes lie. Also third in time of possession at 32:12. I think these stats are a testament to the grit this team brought to every game.

Yep, Preston is still handing out grades and still believes in harping on the negative while downplaying the positive. He is tiresome and I only hate listen for 15 mins Monday mornings as I shower then quickly switch to morning dj bs banter on my commute. 105.7 totally revamped the morning show and I find it unlistenable for the most part.

Jeff Zrebiec is a guest on the pm show sometimes and he is good, level headed and regular. Will have to seek him out on the Athletic👍 The PM show has Jason La Confora and Ken Weinman and they are pretty good with La Confora having the national audience even though a local guy. One of my favorite in season guest is Bobby Depaul who breaks down the Ravens in a very accessible manor and he comes across as a beer and brat kind of guy.

Tee Martin has been mentioned but nothing more than in passing at this point but James Urban has a little buzz. He coached under both Andy Reid and Marvin Lewis before coming to the Ravens so he has a solid foundation. He's never been a play caller as far as I can tell so not sure how viable.
Crap. I am an idiot. Forgot about Urban. Give him a shot. He knows the building and he's really sharp.

Two nice FA signings by Baltimore: S Marcus Williams and OT Morgan Moses. Spent a pretty penny, too, which I hope will shut up some of the naysayer fans who claim the Ravens don't spend money on outside guys.

They were in desperate need at both positions. They have to have a good ball-hawking FS with the defense they run (even with a new DC, I don't expect a whole lot to change - maybe, hopefully, blitz a little less). And, as last season showed, you can not have too much depth at OL.

None of Baltimore's UFAs have signed elsewhere yet. I thought sure Bozeman would get snatched up quickly.

Baltimore has done extremely well in FA.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Former Packers’ pass rusher Za'Darius Smith is signing a four-year, $35 million deal that has a max value of $50 million with the Baltimore Ravens, per source.

Other than Denver, I don't think there is a single team that has improved more than Baltimore this offseason, especially factoring all the guy who are coming back from injury.

Other than Denver, I don't think there is a single team that has improved more than Baltimore this offseason, especially factoring all the guy who are coming back from injury.
The Ravens have been more active than I anticipated and they've certainly checked the right boxes from a need standpoint.

They also signed former Raven DL Michael Pierce, who was with the Vikings last season. 

I'd like to see them resign Ricard, Campbell, and Averett. Ricard's great, but only a few teams could use him (and one - SF - already has a former Baltimore FB in that role). I think Campbell is either going to retire or play in Baltimore, where he'd be welcome with open arms. I really thought Averett would get snatched up by now, so maybe the Ravens can get him back on the cheap - I thought he did well in impossible circumstances last season. Unless I missed it, C Bozeman hasn't signed elsewhere, either, and getting him back would plug another immediate hole.

Obviously, getting their injured players back to norm is key (plus Smith & Pierce, who were both hurt last year). And getting the QB's head on straight - something was wrong with him last year and it wasn't just his ankle injury, because he went wonky before that. 

Get Jackson back to where he was early last season, get the RB room out of ICU, get blocking TE Boyle healthy, re-up Picard, finish off the OL (a healthy Stanley and Juwan James will go a long way towards that end), and I like the offense. The WR group is fine, IMO. Bateman showed me everything I needed to see to know he's good (unlike the play callers & QBs forgetting about him), Marquis Brown is fine, and I like both Duvernay & Proche - maybe add a low-priced vet. They have Andrews.

On defense, getting Peters (their most significant loss in a season full of them) & Humphrey back makes a lot of things better. Still need a reliable MLB and some youth on the DL. To me, the Williams signing is key. He's the unicorn for the defense they will try to run.

Which leaves the draft....... Baltimore can do pretty much anything they want at #14. I suspect it'll be a front seven defensive player, though I've seen CB mocked to them there a few times. I guess if one of those OTs fall, maybe. Outside of that, look for a lot of line picks and DBs. The Ravens have their 1st, 2nd, 2-3rds (one a comp) and then roughly 40 picks in the 4th round.

One thing Baltimore does as well as any team is flip the roster on the fly, while remaining competitive. 

RIP, Jaylon Ferguson. All reports were that he had remade his body & mindset, and was set to take a leap forward this year. He was the NCAA sack champ when he came out of college, but didn't carry that forward in his first three years with the Ravens. Good edge-setter, though. 26 is way too young, man.

Also RIP to Tony Siragusa who, along with Big Sam Adams, threw about a bazillion pounds of beef into opposing O-lines during the Ravens' first SB run. Good player and a helluva character,

Baltimore is in desperate need now of an edge rusher. Both Oweh & Bowser are coming off of surgery. Daelin Hayes has played about as many snaps in a real game as I have. I think they had planned on signing a vet anyway but, after losing Ferguson, it's a sure thing.

If they can get any kind of conventional pass rush, that defense is going to be filthy as long as they don't have entire position groups nuked like last season. 

Ravens' fans have a Pavlovian response anytime some types "WR". They freak out. I like what Baltimore has. Both Duvernay & Proche have been sorely underused, IMO. Bateman gets all of the "upside" hype this time of year - rightly so, as I think he's really good - but don't sleep on those other two. I also expect Tylan Wallace to get some play and for them to sign a vet. Oh, and they have a good TE (plus Boyle and a couple of promising rookies) and a FB who can catch a little.

They are better-prepared at RB this season, in case both/either Dobbins and Edwards are slow to return. Mike Williams is at least as good as the 2015 Pro Bowlers they had to sign last year. I also like the kid they drafted late out of Missouri.

I'm always paranoid about OL, but they seem to be in better shape this year than last.

Comes down to the QB, doesn't it? If he plays like he did in September, they're in good shape. If he plays like he did in October, not so much. I don't know what happened there (& I'm already sick of the contract talk), but I suspect Jackson has a good year and Baltimore is a contender in a brutally competitive conference.

I've had an epiphany: If the Ravens want to have a better chance to restructure Lamar Jackson's contract, all they have to do is sign Odell Beckham Jr. I mean, think about it. You just lost Hollywood Brown, and OBJ is a better replacement, and he's still an elite receiver. I definitely see Odell snagging one-handed TD grabs from Lamar this season. It may not lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl, but Lamar to Odell might be one of the better QB-WR combos we'll see.

Last edited:
Question for you avid Ravensguys...

Couple of things to frame my query, I'm kind of spitballing here; hope some folks here can sift through this and make some sense of it.

Lamar is in a Contract situation. He's his own agent, representing himself. Lamar is a 'different cat'.

My high-stakes partner was trying to take a deeper look into what's going on between the Ravens and Lamar. Can any regulars here corroborate what he's finding:

The issue between Lamar and the Team doesn't directly to do with money, it has more to do with Team Offensive Philosophy, and how they want Lamar to play QB vs how he wants to play QB.

Apparently they tried to assign him a QB guru a few Seasons back, and maybe it wasn't a good fit, or he didn't think he needed it, or something?

...and then he got his own guru? Or the Team got him a new one?

Or something about how they're asking him to be a more complete QB, especially the passing part, but then they moved Hollywood, and outside of Andrews and Bateman, he doesn't feel they are giving him the weapons necessary for the passing game to succeed, and for him to succeed in it?

Something about Greg Roman, and the offense being modified to be more run-centric, that they are actually operating much of the offense around a 'Base 13' with 3 TE on the field, with 1 WR, and emphasizing the run? Lamar feels like this is contrary to what they are asking him to do to develop more as a passer?

Something about Harbaugh being a very hands off HC when it comes to his coordinators and Roman (who I consider to be a decent OC, and I think is generally regarded League-wide as such) has free reign with the offense, and something about whatever scheme he's running being in conflict with Lamar...

If anyone can put all this together and help with a narrative, if there is one, about the relationship between the Team and Lamar in regards to how he sees himself and what he wants to become vs how they see him, what they want him to become, Greg Roman and the offensive scheme, and any conflicts between he/it/Lamar, etc.

Would really appreciate some insight here. Thanks!

Question for you avid Ravensguys...

Couple of things to frame my query, I'm kind of spitballing here; hope some folks here can sift through this and make some sense of it.

Lamar is in a Contract situation. He's his own agent, representing himself. Lamar is a 'different cat'.

My high-stakes partner was trying to take a deeper look into what's going on between the Ravens and Lamar. Can any regulars here corroborate what he's finding:

The issue between Lamar and the Team doesn't directly to do with money, it has more to do with Team Offensive Philosophy, and how they want Lamar to play QB vs how he wants to play QB.

Apparently they tried to assign him a QB guru a few Seasons back, and maybe it wasn't a good fit, or he didn't think he needed it, or something?

...and then he got his own guru? Or the Team got him a new one?

Or something about how they're asking him to be a more complete QB, especially the passing part, but then they moved Hollywood, and outside of Andrews and Bateman, he doesn't feel they are giving him the weapons necessary for the passing game to succeed, and for him to succeed in it?

Something about Greg Roman, and the offense being modified to be more run-centric, that they are actually operating much of the offense around a 'Base 13' with 3 TE on the field, with 1 WR, and emphasizing the run? Lamar feels like this is contrary to what they are asking him to do to develop more as a passer?

Something about Harbaugh being a very hands off HC when it comes to his coordinators and Roman (who I consider to be a decent OC, and I think is generally regarded League-wide as such) has free reign with the offense, and something about whatever scheme he's running being in conflict with Lamar...

If anyone can put all this together and help with a narrative, if there is one, about the relationship between the Team and Lamar in regards to how he sees himself and what he wants to become vs how they see him, what they want him to become, Greg Roman and the offensive scheme, and any conflicts between he/it/Lamar, etc.

Would really appreciate some insight here. Thanks!
It's really tough to do much more than make guesses because both Jackson and the team are so close-lipped about it. I think it may be a combination of things, including some of those you listed above, but it's hard to say which (if any) might have him worried or wanting out.

I never got the feeling that he & Roman were particularly close, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a problem. I'm pretty sure Baltimore would have canned Roman if were disruptive or precluded them from re-signing Jackson.

Lamar was upset that Brown - his best friend on the team - got traded, but this contract issue goes back before draft weekend. The Ravens dealt him for two reasons: a) Brown was unhappy about the way he was being used and b) they didn't want to pay him when his contract was up.

As for offensive philosophy, who knows? They drafted a WR in the 1st last year, so it wasn't like they were all in on the Wing T or anything. Also, the TEs they have are really just WRs in bigger bodies (except Boyle, who's more of a blocker).

I think some of it IS about how a new contract would work.

It's all just guesswork at this point. All parties involved speak in platitudes and there have been no "leaks".

Maybe someone else can make better sense of it than I can. Sorry I'm not more help.

Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson

I’ll tell my grandkids I watched this Ravens preseason dynasty.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:lmao:
It's such a silly thing. I don't know any Ravens fans who care about that at all. Harbaugh probably does, though. And the players want to win.

Ronnie Stanley is off of the PUP list and Tyus Bowser is now on it.

If Stanley can play at anywhere near his All Pro level, that changes the entire offense. It allows James and Mekari (who can play anywhere) to be swing Ts, keeping the snap count down on all of them. LG still needs to be settled, but rising tide and all that.....

Not having Bowser stings - a lot. He led the team in sacks last year. Now it's down to Oweh and 900 year old Justin Houston (who was better last season than many Ravens fans gave him credit for). This is Daelin Hayes' last best shot, IMO. The good news is that the DL looks much stronger and deeper than last season, even with promising rookie Travis Jones being injured (he is a heathen hell-beast and hopefully will be back soon). The biggest problem with Baltimore's pass rush the last couple of years has been that they've gotten no push upfront. You can live with that when you have near-prime Suggs & Dumervil, but it became horribly apparent last year they were lacking there.

I'm not sure who is playing tonight against Washington. Jackson's not, I don't think. I wouldn't play any of their established stars. Guys like Mark Andrews, Calais Campbell, and Kevin Zeitler don't need snaps here to get ready for the season - they know what they need to do.

Random Ravens Thoughts.....

3-3 at (roughly) the 1/3 pole. Lots of people saying how they could/should be 6-0, which is true. They could also easily be 2-4 or 1-5 - that's true, too.

As for the blown leads, they were bad and hard to attribute to one thing. It's simplistic to blame it all on the defense (which has played 2.5 bad quarters, but has otherwise been solid). To me, it's the offense not being able to do anything in the 4th Quarter - they can't score and they turn the ball over, which leaves the defense (which is still trying to get all of its pieces in place) in a bad spot. Also, which every team's fans seem to forget after bad losses, the other team has good players.

On offense, Jackson has tried (sometimes too hard) to carry them. When he goes full-hero-ball, he tends to make mistakes. That INT against the Giants last week after the bad snap was ghastly. I love that he's trying to make things happen and that he won't quit, but sometimes you gotta back off.

Losing Dobbins again hurts, as he looked really sharp in the Buffalo game (I wonder if he didn't get hurt there instead of last week's game, as he looked sluggish out of the gate to me). They activated Edwards, Hill is back, and they have the geriatric duo. They can make do with that.

At WR, I've been screaming from the mountaintops for 3 years that they don't use Duvernay enough. Get that dude the ball. I'm starting to wonder if Bateman is snakebit. They have Demarcus Robinson - yawn. Oh, and they signed DeShean Jackson - double yawn. I don't know what happened to James Proche - he looked great in preseason and I thought he'd have a bigger role when things got real, but he's barely played.

TE is Andrews (who is doing Andrews things), Oliver (!), and the two kids. Likely showed well in preseason, but hasn't crested the rookie learning curve yet in real games. Koller looks to come back soon.

The offensive line is playing much better since Stanley came back. I could have scored on Drake's run last week, the hole was so big (Andrews had a nice block on that play, too). Ben Powers has been a revelation at LG (easier to do when you have Stanley next to you, but still...).

Michael Pierce is done on the DL, but they got Travis Jones back and he looks like he might become a wrecking machine in the middle of that line. I hate the word "bust", but I'm starting to think they can't do much more with Patrick Queen at ILB - he gets lost way too much. I'm also starting to worry a little about Oweh, who I thought would be much more effective this year than he's shown. The vets up front have been solid, though they are all on snap counts. Getting Bowser back at OLB should help.

I believe the Ravens are cursed at DB. Marcus Williams was playing really well, and he gets hurt. Luckily, they - for now - have some depth at S. Marcus Peters looks like his old self and Marlon Humphrey looks much sharper than he did last season.

Tucker is Tucker. The rookie punter has been a bit of a disappointment, but that's most likely because I got spoiled by Koch. I'm confident he'll get better, as Baltimore is really strong with their ST coaching.

I dunno..... I still think it's the Ravens and Bengals fighting it out for the division. 10 wins should get it done which - at even that relatively low number - means one of them will have to get on a bit of a roll. Both are flawed, but dangerous.

Coming back from all the injuries and taking the 17-game schedule into account, I really think Harbaugh is kind of slow playing this season. I think they’re trying to get to December healthy, positioned for the playoffs, and ready to make a run. Like I think they’re going to play some guys tomorrow who then sit out Thursday night and vice versa

Starting to get very excited about the O Line, even starting to get encouraged about the pass rush, especially if Ojabo gets activated and Bowser returns.

Queen is mediocre, Hamilton looks lost but is going to have to figure it out. Completely agree that Lamar gets bad when he gets frenetic. If they just stress minimizing turnovers, he’ll be ok. Though it’s hard not to wonder if he’s playing like a guy with his contract on his mind

Getting definite 2012 vibes - though remember that team wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Ray Rice converting 4th and 29 vs the Chargers

Coming back from all the injuries and taking the 17-game schedule into account, I really think Harbaugh is kind of slow playing this season. I think they’re trying to get to December healthy, positioned for the playoffs, and ready to make a run. Like I think they’re going to play some guys tomorrow who then sit out Thursday night and vice versa

Starting to get very excited about the O Line, even starting to get encouraged about the pass rush, especially if Ojabo gets activated and Bowser returns.

Queen is mediocre, Hamilton looks lost but is going to have to figure it out. Completely agree that Lamar gets bad when he gets frenetic. If they just stress minimizing turnovers, he’ll be ok. Though it’s hard not to wonder if he’s playing like a guy with his contract on his mind

Getting definite 2012 vibes - though remember that team wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Ray Rice converting 4th and 29 vs the Chargers
Hey diddle diddle, Ray Rice up the middle.

(he was short of the 1st down IMHO)

The Ravens are trotting out the 2012 team before the game today. The event is supposed to start at 12:30 and Ray Lewis is one of the speakers. Whoever planned that has no conception of time. I predict the game will start 3 hours late.

The Ravens are trotting out the 2012 team before the game today. The event is supposed to start at 12:30 and Ray Lewis is one of the speakers. Whoever planned that has no conception of time. I predict the game will start 3 hours late.
Oh, man, Lewis is such a fine speaker. He's going kill it out there!

Oh, man, Lewis is such a fine speaker. He's going kill it out there!
The drunken Ravens fans in attendance who have been tailgating since August 3rd will eat it up. Ray's shtick wore off for me circa 2006.

Ed Reed is due to speak, too. Now THAT is one interesting dude.

Ravens have a lot of work to do to become one of the top teams in the NFL. Their D seems to be not horrible anymore, but it's definitely not good. The offense is too inconsistent and given to bouts of either forgetting the pass or forgetting the run. Lamar is clearly pressing and it's making him inconsistent.

Assuming the Ravens don't make a run in the playoffs I'd be in favor of them franchising Lamar and then trading him in the offseason. If Wilson could bring 3 number 1's, Lamar will surely be worth more to some team. I like Lamar very much but I'm concerned he's hit his ceiling and while he's a fine QB you can't pay him like he's a top 2 or 3 QB.

Ravens have a lot of work to do to become one of the top teams in the NFL. Their D seems to be not horrible anymore, but it's definitely not good. The offense is too inconsistent and given to bouts of either forgetting the pass or forgetting the run. Lamar is clearly pressing and it's making him inconsistent.

Assuming the Ravens don't make a run in the playoffs I'd be in favor of them franchising Lamar and then trading him in the offseason. If Wilson could bring 3 number 1's, Lamar will surely be worth more to some team. I like Lamar very much but I'm concerned he's hit his ceiling and while he's a fine QB you can't pay him like he's a top 2 or 3 QB.
The swings in their games are really
Amazing. There is nothing they can’t do, they just don’t do it enough though.

Appreciate all the input from you Ravens’ fans, anybody have knowledge or expectations for Andrews tomorrow night?

Appreciate all the input from you Ravens’ fans, anybody have knowledge or expectations for Andrews tomorrow night?
I think he’s out. Harbaugh virtually never plays guys who don’t practice. Also after last year’s injuries debacle, they seem very cautious about playing tweaked guys. He even said that with the short turnaround for tonight’s game, there might be guys they purposefully give the week off (and that they might give next week off to some guys who play tonight)

I think Isaiah Likely might be a good pickup if you’re desperate at TE. Josh Oliver was pretty bad last week, to the point he lost snaps to Nick Boyle, and they never throw to Boyle, so Likely seems likely to get Andrews’s targets

Last year’s team was 8-2 and we knew they were bogus (because of injuries, as well as other shortcomings)

This year’s team is 5-3 and I have very high hopes (not expectations yet, just hopes because they still need to get healthier to be a real Super Bowl contender)

The O Line is now competent for the first time since 2019 and should get better. Stanley is rounding into form, and Linderbaum is a budding star

So many rookies played well last night, including Hamilton who had previously struggled. Likely showed his preseason form when Andrews went down, which made me realize the reason he hadn’t done much til now is that he’s Andrews’ backup, he has a completely different role than Boyle/Oliver at the other TE spot. Well they need to change that and figure out a way to get them on the field together because that would be a matchup nightmare for defenses

Edwards is a genuine difference maker. Whether he takes the handoff or Lamar keeps it, it’s almost an automatic minimum of 5 yards per carry when he’s in the game

Gotta keep working with Lamar on limiting turnovers. As last night showed, if they don’t turn it over, they’re very hard to beat

They now have 11 days until their next game, then have 12 days off after that (their Bye). 1 game in 23 days. If they can hit the Bye at 6-3 even as they rest up and get healthy (and I’m hearing crazy rumors about the things Ojabo is doing in practice, not to mention Bowser’s imminent return) then I am very eager to see what this team can become in the back half of the season

Andrews, Duvernay, Bateman, and Likely should be the top four in terms of targets. I thought before the season that the Ravens would find ways to use Andrews and Likely at the same time, but they haven't done much of that so far. They need to start doing so.

I didn't see the game Thursday, but it sounds to me like what they did in the 2nd half was their best avenue to beating good teams. Run the damned ball and pick your spots to pass. Baltimore had four full drives in that half and scored 24 points on them. Jackson went 8-8 for around 100 yards. And as important, they kept their defense fresh.

Curious what the compensation was. As a Bears fan, I'd be thrilled with a 3rd rounder. Smith has some talent, but man he's been awful this season, and he's never been a good tackler. He's usually excellent in coverage, but either he didn't fit Eberflus system, or what, but he's been a huge liability in coverage this year.

If the Ravens get the 2020 version of Roquan he'll help a lot.

ETA: Bears got a lot more than I'd have guessed, a 2 and a 5 is a huge haul, for a guy they didn't really want to keep around after this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread