What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (2 Viewers)

Are there any Marlins fans here?  Jorge Alfaro has yet to play a game but I can't find news on this guy anywhere.  Was he hit that hard with the Rona?

After watching Kershaw go off again, and Matt Chapman hit two moon shots, I'm genuinely curious if Balco is back in business.

I guess I shouldn't be worried until balls start flying out in San Diego.   Oh wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
Iglesias was garbage in the ninth, but I can’t remember the last time a Reds outfielder even came close to the plate on a throw to home.

Seven of the sixteen teams in the tournament came from the two Central divisions. All seven lost in the first round, and the four NL teams failed to score a single run in the elimination game.

Fattening up on Detroit/Pittsburgh/Kansas City sure gives a false sense of superiority.

Kole Calhoun will miss the start of the season following surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

General Malaise said:
Somebody remind me if we've discussed this before, but why in tarnation do they schedule opening day games in cities like Detroit?  It's 30 degrees!  Jesus....go play in Houston.
Tradition!

Bellinger hits a 2 run dinger off the LF glove, Turner running from first thought it was caught so retreated and was passed by Bellinger.

Bellinger is out (I think with a single) and Turner scores 

🤦‍♂️

Bellinger hits a 2 run dinger off the LF glove, Turner running from first thought it was caught so retreated and was passed by Bellinger.

Bellinger is out (I think with a single) and Turner scores 

🤦‍♂️
That was a really weird play.   Shouldn't the second base umpire have signaled home run?  

General Malaise said:
Somebody remind me if we've discussed this before, but why in tarnation do they schedule opening day games in cities like Detroit?  It's 30 degrees!  Jesus....go play in Houston.
The one reason I have heard that makes some sense is the teams that open the year with long homestands will have to close the year with long road trips, which would have negative impact on a playoff chase.

Or, if they didn't want to end the season on the road then somewhere in the middle of the schedule they would have to go on an epic long road trip to balance everything out.

Here’s an accomplishment that likely will never be repeated. Ohtani threw a pitch 101 mph in the top half of an inning and hit a HR 451 feet in the bottom of the same inning.

So the baseballs are different again. Exit velocity is up, but homers and xbhs are down. They are trying to find the perfect ball to manipulate the game based on analytics. I don’t know how I feel about this. 

Then they light up Trevor Bauer for foreign substances/manipulation. You would think if it was an adult organization they’d move Bauer to the back burner. But they didn’t. 

corbin Burnes and Walker Buehler are fun to watch. 

I like closer by committee, it has always been the right way with your best reliever taking the hardest three or four outs in the last 2.33 innings. 

I hate shifting and they need to make a rule that you must have two infielders on each side of 2B, that makes for interesting analytical adjustments (e.g. a LF coming to play RCF Rover on a dead pull hitting lefty).

Juan Soto has been compared to Ted Williams, but he seriously has a shot at a .500 OBP this year. Unless Josh Bell or whoever steps up, there is almost no reason to pitch to Soto with runners on base. He could also hit .370 or better, keep an eye on this, yo. 

angel Hernandez is gross

Dr D, esquire 

So the baseballs are different again. Exit velocity is up, but homers and xbhs are down. They are trying to find the perfect ball to manipulate the game based on analytics. I don’t know how I feel about this. 

Then they light up Trevor Bauer for foreign substances/manipulation. You would think if it was an adult organization they’d move Bauer to the back burner. But they didn’t. 

corbin Burnes and Walker Buehler are fun to watch. 

I like closer by committee, it has always been the right way with your best reliever taking the hardest three or four outs in the last 2.33 innings. 

I hate shifting and they need to make a rule that you must have two infielders on each side of 2B, that makes for interesting analytical adjustments (e.g. a LF coming to play RCF Rover on a dead pull hitting lefty).

Juan Soto has been compared to Ted Williams, but he seriously has a shot at a .500 OBP this year. Unless Josh Bell or whoever steps up, there is almost no reason to pitch to Soto with runners on base. He could also hit .370 or better, keep an eye on this, yo. 

angel Hernandez is gross

Dr D, esquire 
Great post.  I think I read that Burnes has 5 plus pitches.  The cutter is dominant and he has command of it.  He seriously might be in the same tier as Cole/Degrom.  He’s unhittable.

Soto is already the best hitter in the game.  No flaws at all.  If he starts running more, look out!  It was a pleasure having him on my fantasy team for a few years.  Due to our keeper rules, I had to trade him for Bieber before the season but he helped me win the championship last year.

What is it that you hate about shifting and why do you think it should be modified?  It's strategy just like anything else and if a player doesn't want teams to shift against him then learn to hit around it so they stop.  It's part of the cat and mouse game within the game.  I have never understood why people dislike it so much.  

Why would your bolded statement be any different than shifting in the first place? 

Has anybody seen a reasonable explanation as to why replay review did not overturn that call at home in the Phillies/Braves game?  The runner never hit home plate and it was quite clear on replay.  How does that call not get overturned and if that one doesn't why even have review?  That play should be the poster child for replay review only they messed it up.  

Has anybody seen a reasonable explanation as to why replay review did not overturn that call at home in the Phillies/Braves game?  The runner never hit home plate and it was quite clear on replay.  How does that call not get overturned and if that one doesn't why even have review?  That play should be the poster child for replay review only they messed it up.  
I was thinking the exact same thing.  No point in having a review system if something like that doesn’t get overturned.

Cubs lineup today vs Burnes

Happ .152

Sogard .105

Rizzo .158

Pederson .118

Baez .220

Heyward .162

Bote .125

Romine 0.00

Arrieta 0.00

:X

What is this thing where shortstops and third baseman are skipping throws to first now? Seems like every ground ball to that side of the field the guy is skipping rocks across the pond. Truly don’t get it. 

i watched it live. They revealed a new angle of the play after the call was made. The previous views showed that he "most likely" didnt touch the plate, but there was no clear, visual evidence. After the call was made, there was a new angle revealed that clearly showed he didnt touch. No idea why they dont have access to all views right away?

i watched it live. They revealed a new angle of the play after the call was made. The previous views showed that he "most likely" didnt touch the plate, but there was no clear, visual evidence. After the call was made, there was a new angle revealed that clearly showed he didnt touch. No idea why they dont have access to all views right away?
The views they show on TV are not necessarily all the views the MLB office has.  I am sure they had all the views (and likely more) prior to making the decision.  Just because the broadcast showed a "new" angle after the ruling doesn’t mean that MLB didn't see that view to make the decision.

The views they show on TV are not necessarily all the views the MLB office has.  I am sure they had all the views (and likely more) prior to making the decision.  Just because the broadcast showed a "new" angle after the ruling doesn’t mean that MLB didn't see that view to make the decision.
Well, no idea then. The announcers were in total agreement with the replay booth (inconclusive) while it was going on live.

The X player is on pace for ___ the first couple games of the season lines irrationally annoy me, but after a few weeks that switch gets flipped and the humor resonates. This is a me problem, but anyway..

Javier Baez is on pace for 40 HR 121 RBI 50 SB 10 BB and 313 :lmao:  K

I saw a televised game from Dodger Stadium for the first time this year. It was nice to see Mary Hart and her very bright, very yellow hair sitting in her customary spot behind home plate.

It was sad to not see Larry King, who usually sat a few seats to Mary's right. 

Caesar Valdez of the O’s is one of the most fun players to watch. He throws about the best change up you’ll ever see, and a funky slider. I don’t think he even through a fastball last night and made it look easy vs the Yanks. 

He’s like a crafty 80s closer, firing a bunch of filthy junk up there on a string. Fun. 

Is anyone familiar with the term "cement mixer" to describe a pitch that gets hit for a homerun?

In the Cubs/Braves game, Jake Marisnick hit a high pitch four hundred feet into the left field stands, and Jim Deshaies, the Cubs color commentator called the pitch an "ole cement mixer."

On MLB Network, they showed the Marisnick HR, but using the Braves broadcast, and Jeff Francouer used the exact phrase as Deshaies. 

I am not familiar with the term.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Is anyone familiar with the term "cement mixer" to describe a pitch that gets hit for a homerun?

In the Cubs/Braves game, Jake Marisnick hit a high pitch four hundred feet into the left field stands, and Jim Deshaies, the Cubs color commentator called the pitch an "ole cement mixer."

On MLB Network, they showed the Marisnick HR, but using the Braves broadcast, and Jeff Francouer used the exact phrase as Deshaies. 

I am not familiar with the term.
A flat breaking ball that just spins and never actually breaks

Caesar Valdez of the O’s is one of the most fun players to watch. He throws about the best change up you’ll ever see, and a funky slider. I don’t think he even through a fastball last night and made it look easy vs the Yanks. 

He’s like a crafty 80s closer, firing a bunch of filthy junk up there on a string. Fun. 
Devin Williams is mighty fun to watch too.  He hasn't had the results he had last year but his change is incredible and he can reach 97 (83 for change).  His control isn't as good as last year which has made him a little more human but him in the 8th followed by Hader in the 9th was really fun to watch......and I am not a Brewers fan (but I may or may not have had both those guys on my fantasy team)

What is it that you hate about shifting and why do you think it should be modified?  It's strategy just like anything else and if a player doesn't want teams to shift against him then learn to hit around it so they stop.  It's part of the cat and mouse game within the game.  I have never understood why people dislike it so much.  

Why would your bolded statement be any different than shifting in the first place? 
Shifting is stupid and makes me turn the channel, and basically stop tuning in.

Users who are viewing this thread