What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Beto O'Rourke Thread (3 Viewers)

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/25/ted-cruz-proposes-five-debates-beto-orourke-texas/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Ted Cruz proposes 5 debates with Beto O’Rourke in U.S. Senate race

In a letter to O'Rourke, Cruz's campaign proposed debates to be held on five Friday evenings, each focused on a different set of topics.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has challenged Democratic opponent Beto O'Rourke to five topical debates before Election Day, about three months after O'Rourke challenged Cruz to six.

Cruz strategist Jeff Roe sent a letter Wednesday to O'Rourke, an El Paso congressman, proposing the following debate schedule:

Aug. 31 in Dallas on "Jobs/Taxes/Federal Regulations/National Economy"

Sept. 14 in McAllen on "Immigration/Border Security/Criminal Justice/Supreme Court"

Sept. 21 in San Antonio on "Foreign Policy/National Security"

Oct. 5 in Houston on "Energy/Trade/Texas Economy"

Oct. 12 in Lubbock on "Healthcare/Obamacare"

Roe said the debates would all take place on Friday evenings "because the Senate is expected to be in session during that time." The debates would each be an hour long and vary in format — some would be town hall-style, while others would feature the two candidates seated or standing at podiums.

"As Senator Cruz has long believed, our democratic process is best served by presenting a clear and substantive contrast of competing policy ideas, and these five debates will be an excellent way for both you and the Senator to share your respective visions with Texas voters in the weeks leading up to the November election," Roe wrote to O'Rourke.

O'Rourke responded in a statement to reporters: "I am encouraged that Sen. Cruz has decided that he’s ready to debate the issues. Our campaign looks forward to working with his campaign to finalize mutually agreed upon details."

Sat in on Senate Judiciary today.  After the meeting adjourned, Cruz made a beeline over to a guest of Grassley’s sitting in the public part of the gallery.  Turns out the guest is some big money PAC guy. Guest told Cruz he might be able to get him some money.  Cruz was appreciative, shaking his head saying “we’re getting outraised”.  

I’d thought a lot about McConnell cancelling the August recess to stick it to all the Dem incumbents up for re-Election in November.  Hadn’t thought about how that schedule could also hurt Cruz having to stay in Washington while Beto is campaigning every day and generating enthusiasm.
Beto is a long shot, but it's  forcing them to divert resources to this race and away from other races.  Dems really putting on a full-court press at the local, state and national level for once.

rude classless thugs said:
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/25/ted-cruz-proposes-five-debates-beto-orourke-texas/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Ted Cruz proposes 5 debates with Beto O’Rourke in U.S. Senate race

In a letter to O'Rourke, Cruz's campaign proposed debates to be held on five Friday evenings, each focused on a different set of topics.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has challenged Democratic opponent Beto O'Rourke to five topical debates before Election Day, about three months after O'Rourke challenged Cruz to six.

Cruz strategist Jeff Roe sent a letter Wednesday to O'Rourke, an El Paso congressman, proposing the following debate schedule:

Aug. 31 in Dallas on "Jobs/Taxes/Federal Regulations/National Economy"

Sept. 14 in McAllen on "Immigration/Border Security/Criminal Justice/Supreme Court"

Sept. 21 in San Antonio on "Foreign Policy/National Security"

Oct. 5 in Houston on "Energy/Trade/Texas Economy"

Oct. 12 in Lubbock on "Healthcare/Obamacare"

Roe said the debates would all take place on Friday evenings "because the Senate is expected to be in session during that time." The debates would each be an hour long and vary in format — some would be town hall-style, while others would feature the two candidates seated or standing at podiums.

"As Senator Cruz has long believed, our democratic process is best served by presenting a clear and substantive contrast of competing policy ideas, and these five debates will be an excellent way for both you and the Senator to share your respective visions with Texas voters in the weeks leading up to the November election," Roe wrote to O'Rourke.

O'Rourke responded in a statement to reporters: "I am encouraged that Sen. Cruz has decided that he’s ready to debate the issues. Our campaign looks forward to working with his campaign to finalize mutually agreed upon details."
He’s nuts.  If Cruz does this he might actually lose.

He’s nuts.  If Cruz does this he might actually lose.
I wonder if he's proposing this because his internal polling shows he's in trouble. This could potentially be his best chance. Cruz is a lot of things, but he's no idiot. If he can show he's considerably more knowledgeable and experienced it might give him a small boost in the polls.

Cruz has a lot of big time debate experience. Beto not so much. A debate is theoretically in Cruz's favor. 
I agree with this. But Beto is a cool cat. He is very likable in person. And he is all-inclusive. He is willing to sit and really listen to all viewpoints. I would think that many people will see him in these debates and end up feeling as though he is the better person to lead the people in the state of Texas.

Cruz has a lot of big time debate experience. Beto not so much. A debate is theoretically in Cruz's favor. 
Cruz was a champion college debater. But political debates are very different thing. The goal is not to win the argument. It's how you position yourself and define your opponent. The most obvious impact of a debate between an incumbent and a challenger is that it raises the challenger's profile and allows him to appear on equal footing with the incumbent. That's why the default position of most incumbent's is to minimize the number of debates. (Sometimes they also insist that minor party candidates are also allowed into the debate, in order to lower the status of their main challenger and avoid giving her a clean shot.)

I have no idea how a Cruz-O'Rourke debate would play out. Cruz is pretty unlikable, so it's possible Beto would benefit from the comparison. On the other hand, if voters' first impression of Beto is that he's glib or unprepared, that would really hurt him.

Cruz was a champion college debater. But political debates are very different thing. The goal is not to win the argument. It's how you position yourself and define your opponent. The most obvious impact of a debate between an incumbent and a challenger is that it raises the challenger's profile and allows him to appear on equal footing with the incumbent. That's why the default position of most incumbent's is to minimize the number of debates. (Sometimes they also insist that minor party candidates are also allowed into the debate, in order to lower the status of their main challenger and avoid giving her a clean shot.)

I have no idea how a Cruz-O'Rourke debate would play out. Cruz is pretty unlikable, so it's possible Beto would benefit from the comparison. On the other hand, if voters' first impression of Beto is that he's glib or unprepared, that would really hurt him.
Yeah, while I have no doubt Beto has a strong background for a debate, a political one is different. Especially the audience. Judges of college debates are a far cry from the average voter. 

What percentage of the electorate even watches Senatorial debates?  I think really the only concern the candidates should have is saying something really dumb that goes viral.  They both seem polished enough that seems unlikely.

if people were actually listening to what was being said, i'd probably agree.  Beto is very likable.  Cruz comes off as a used car salesman.  Beto has nothing to lose.

What percentage of the electorate even watches Senatorial debates?  I think really the only concern the candidates should have is saying something really dumb that goes viral.  They both seem polished enough that seems unlikely.
On a Friday night during football season in Texas, no less. Barring a catastrophe, these debates will have no bearing on this race.

I went to see Beto speak in Flower Mound last month. We got there an hour early and we couldn't get in. This is not Democratic territory, either. Far from it.

if people were actually listening to what was being said, i'd probably agree.  Beto is very likable.  Cruz comes off as a used car salesman.  Beto has nothing to lose.
Beto has everything to gain. Cruz is a big name in a very red State.

I simultaneously have two thoughts about Beto:

1. He is a young, authentic, dynamic candidate who represents Democrats best chance in a generation to win a statewide office in Texas.
  2. He is wish fulfillment personified: He has been scientifically engineered in a lab to stroke the erogenous zones of coastal liberals (myself included) who want need to believe we can turn Texas blue not by hedging with a bunch of Joe Manchin-style DINOs, but by openly embracing progressivism.
Every day I find myself hoping No. 1 is true and fearing that No. 2 is.

This has been my favorite story in the Beto vs. Ted race:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/07/rafael-ted-cruz-accuses-his-democratic-opponent-of-changing-his-name-to-appeal-to-voters/?utm_term=.61700ef91eb9

Ted accuses Beto of using the nickname Beto (given name is Robert) to gain favor with hispanic voters. It’s explained that this his been his nickname since he was a child, and Beto tweets a picture of himself in a homemade Beto shirt at what looks like four years old. And then it’s pointed out to “Ted” that his first name is Rafael. 

Edit: Oh, and then Beto challenged Ted to a series of debates including two in Spanish. Ted declined the suggestion of debating in Spanish because his Spanish is lousy. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05/01/beto-orourke-ted-cruz-texas-6-debates-spanish-twice/

Perhaps, TED “Son of Cuban Immigrants” Cruz (a common biographical detail he emphasizes when convenient and to his advantage) shouldn’t be attacking others for inauthenticity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Beto O'Rourke is asked whether he thinks NFL players kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful.  His answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbiaVIa85KA

Ted Cruz offers his thoughts on Beto's answer to the question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvJIKSDoWg
I just caught this - what a great response from Beto on a difficult subject - where he acknowledges that reasonable people can disagree, but then he lays out the fundamental reason why why allow, and even encourage, peaceful demonstrations in this country.

I just caught this - what a great response from Beto on a difficult subject - where he acknowledges that reasonable people can disagree, but then he lays out the fundamental reason why why allow, and even encourage, peaceful demonstrations in this country.
Agreed. And then Cruz wraps himself in the honor and valor of our military members to make a shallow, pandering counter-argument. 

The difference between a politician who wants to bridge gaps and get beyond this ridiculous hyper-partisanship we are in and Cruz - who just wants to create a bigger divide.

Just 4 points.

As Texas Democrats attempt to win a major statewide contest for the first time in almost three decades, a new NBC News/Marist poll finds Democrat Beto O’Rourke trailing Republican Sen. Ted Cruz by just 4 percentage points.

Republicans are a little worried right now and calling in the fat checkbooks. I was amused by the plan to paint Beto as an "establishment figure."
:lmao:

"McIntosh said it had not been determined when the Club’s campaign would begin. But he said it would focus heavily on casting O’Rourke as an establishment figure who, contrary to the nonpolitical and outsider persona he has cultivated, is eager to climb the ranks of political power."

Ted Cruz:

- Princeton and Harvard grad

- Appeals Court and Supreme Court Clerk

- Policy Adviser for George W. Bush campaign

- Associate Deputy Attorney General in George W. Bush Administration

- Director of Policy Planning at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission

- Texas Solicitor General

- United States Senator

"McIntosh said it had not been determined when the Club’s campaign would begin. But he said it would focus heavily on casting O’Rourke as an establishment figure who, contrary to the nonpolitical and outsider persona he has cultivated, is eager to climb the ranks of political power."

Ted Cruz:

- Princeton and Harvard grad

- Appeals Court and Supreme Court Clerk

- Policy Adviser for George W. Bush campaign

- Associate Deputy Attorney General in George W. Bush Administration

- Director of Policy Planning at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission

- Texas Solicitor General

- United States Senator
And Ted seems to have no desire at all to "climb the ranks of political power."  :lmao:

Texas GOP Slammed For Trying To Make Beto O’Rourke’s Former Punk Band An Issue

One Twitter user wondered why Republicans were trying to make the Senate candidate look cool.  :lmao:

Replying to @TexasGOP

Definitely don't want to vote for this cool guy who did fun stuff and had friends.

9:20 AM - Aug 29, 2018

This is two more friends than Ted Cruz has ever had.

9:36 AM - Aug 29, 2018

Yeah, don’t vote for people who liked to play music in college. And you wonder why no one under 55 votes GOP.

9:24 AM - Aug 29, 2018

Is Ted Cruz really trying to scare voters with pictures from Beto's band days when there are pictures of him out there as a mime?

Last edited by a moderator:

The punk rock establishment guy. Some strategy there.

Users who are viewing this thread