What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Beto O'Rourke Thread (1 Viewer)

"“IT SEEMS LIKE IOWA IN 2007”: IS BETO O’ROURKE THE LEFT’S OBAMA-LIKE ANSWER TO TRUMP IN 2020?"

Not totally sure if I buy this -- I think the logistics of Beto running will be incredibly difficult whether he wins or loses -- but as I said in another thread, it drove home for me how Beto checks all the boxes in terms of what I'm looking for in a 2020 candidate.
If he gets elected to the Senate in 2018 the democrats need him to hold this seat for at least 1 term before he looks to higher office.  

If he gets elected to the Senate in 2018 the democrats need him to hold this seat for at least 1 term before he looks to higher office.  
I get the argument, but I think 2020 will scramble the usual calculations that go into a candidate's decision to run. I think most Dems will view defeating Trump as so vital to the future of our democracy that the decision becomes more about obligation than about desire. If you're a viable 2020 candidate and you sit this one out, it's a little like holding artillery in reserve while the enemy is storming your castle.

I get the argument, but I think 2020 will scramble the usual calculations that go into a candidate's decision to run. I think most Dems will view defeating Trump as so vital to the future of our democracy that the decision becomes more about obligation than about desire. If you're a viable 2020 candidate and you sit this one out, it's a little like holding artillery in reserve while the enemy is storming your castle.
I personally would be very reluctant to support O'Rourke in the primary.

That may well be a popular view among Dems if he runs. And again, I'm not saying he should run, or that I would necessarily support him. I'm just pushing back against the idea that we can think too far into the future. Look at Obama: The "safe" choice would have been to sit out 2008, and then either bide his time in the Senate or become Hillary's VP so that it would be his "turn" in 2016. But I'm so glad he didn't do that. By contrast, although I didn't want Warren to run in 2016, in retrospect I think that was a tragic mistake.

That may well be a popular view among Dems if he runs. And again, I'm not saying he should run, or that I would necessarily support him. I'm just pushing back against the idea that we can think too far into the future. Look at Obama: The "safe" choice would have been to sit out 2008, and then either bide his time in the Senate or become Hillary's VP so that it would be his "turn" in 2016. But I'm so glad he didn't do that. By contrast, although I didn't want Warren to run in 2016, in retrospect I think that was a tragic mistake.
I can see your point.  You hit home with your statement about Warren.  I am really a huge supporter of her's but I fear I have a blind spot when it comes to her and her politics, I wonder if I competently ignore her negatives because I adore her positions.  You haven given me pause to reconsider the O'Rourke and timing issue...

I can see your point.  You hit home with your statement about Warren.  I am really a huge supporter of her's but I fear I have a blind spot when it comes to her and her politics, I wonder if I competently ignore her negatives because I adore her positions.  You haven given me pause to reconsider the O'Rourke and timing issue...
One more counterfactual (and then I'll get back to the topic at hand, promise): What if Hillary had run in '04? I mean, at this point the easy answer is that Hillary was such a poor candidate she was doomed no matter when she ran. But I think in '04 she might have actually had a stronger case than in '08. And Lord knows, it's hard to imagine she wouldn't have been a better candidate than John Kerry, who nonetheless came very close to winning.

One more counterfactual (and then I'll get back to the topic at hand, promise): What if Hillary had run in '04? I mean, at this point the easy answer is that Hillary was such a poor candidate she was doomed no matter when she ran. But I think in '04 she might have actually had a stronger case than in '08. And Lord knows, it's hard to imagine she wouldn't have been a better candidate than John Kerry, who nonetheless came very close to winning.
I can imagine her being a worse candidate than Kerry.  Doesn't take a lot of imagination actually.

Agreed. And then Cruz wraps himself in the honor and valor of our military members to make a shallow, pandering counter-argument. 
I served in the military. We were mandated to stop and stand at attention at Retreat. Don't, and you could expect some form of punishment, either verbal or physical.

I will still stop and stand, with my hand over my heart, today when I see Our Nation's Colors. And I always think about the oath we swear: "...I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..."

I stand to honor the flag in defense of your right to protest that which you believe is unjust.

I served in the military. We were mandated to stop and stand at attention at Retreat. Don't, and you could expect some form of punishment, either verbal or physical.

I will still stop and stand, with my hand over my heart, today when I see Our Nation's Colors. And I always think about the oath we swear: "...I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..."

I stand to honor the flag in defense of your right to protest that which you believe is unjust.
:thumbsup:  

I lived quite a few years on military bases growing up. Standing for Retreat was ingrained. I remember the neighborhood kids playing in the street would all immediately stop what they were doing, lest they catch a whoopin’ from their dad when he got home. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Police Report: Beto O’Rourke Tried to Flee Scene of Drunk-Driving Crash

O’Rourke, then 26, was driving at “a high rate of speed” on a Texas highway roughly ten miles from the New Mexico border when he crashed into a truck and spun across the median into oncoming traffic. A witness whom O’Rourke passed shortly before crashing later told police he personally prevented O’Rourke from fleeing the scene. 

The rising progressive star, who blew a 0.136 and a 0.134 on police breathalyzers, did not address the witness report that he tried to flee the scene in a statement released on Thursday.
Old offense but being used heavily in the campaign.

He's toast

Cruz should win by at least 7 points

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheriff Bart said:
THERE IT IS!! 
Trump is going to Texas maybe twice to hold a rally for Cruz. The boy wasted a lot of his money.  :thumbup:

His bill boards will probably actually help Cruz.

If nothing else, you can tell Qanon is really worried about Beto winning.  He wouldn't be trying so hard in this thread otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread