What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (1 Viewer)

To be honest I haven't seen a true nfl qb prospect in college this season.
Well then lucky for these guys that the NFL is moving toward more scheme specific qbs instead of putting everything on their qb. Quick passes and 3-step drops are the future. At least from what I'm seeing.

Would have probably been at the latest, a second-round pick.

Urban did him so wrong. Should have been pushing him out the door.

To be honest I haven't seen a true nfl qb prospect in college this season.
Well then lucky for these guys that the NFL is moving toward more scheme specific qbs instead of putting everything on their qb. Quick passes and 3-step drops are the future. At least from what I'm seeing.
I am in the complete opposite of this. I think the NFL is putting more on the qb to win these days. Less rushing and the passing yards are going through the roof.

You sure? Giving him every opportunity to capture the starting job and prove himself as not only what he was last year but also give teams a full season of film to look at to boost your stock. There was no promise he would have gone as high as people, including myself, have suggested. To say Urban did him wrong is not the right call though. If Urban would have done him wrong he would have played the better fit and QB at the beginning of the season not 7 games in.

This is why Hackenberg will still get drafted relatively high. There aren't many guys like him that have the look of a pro-style QB, despite how poorly he's played this year. And as a PSU fan it's hard to say if Hack or the oline is really to blame.

You sure? Giving him every opportunity to capture the starting job and prove himself as not only what he was last year but also give teams a full season of film to look at to boost your stock. There was no promise he would have gone as high as people, including myself, have suggested. To say Urban did him wrong is not the right call though. If Urban would have done him wrong he would have played the better fit and QB at the beginning of the season not 7 games in.
From what I read, cardale was leaving after last year and urban talked him out of it. He also allegedly did that stuff at UF.

Cardale would have went no later than round 2 and been paid.

What about that kid from Memphis.
Paxton Lynch is the college QB who stands out to me - great size (6-7,245), high completion percentage (71.6%) and YPA (9.7), doesn't throw a lot of picks (TD:INT ratio of 4 the past two years and has 17 TD to 1 INT this year), and can run a bit (13 rushing TD's last year).

Should have his own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why Hackenberg will still get drafted relatively high. There aren't many guys like him that have the look of a pro-style QB, despite how poorly he's played this year. And as a PSU fan it's hard to say if Hack or the oline is really to blame.
I will take that bet. Hackenberg is horrible. His only plus is that he has a strong arm. But he is as immobile as I have ever seen a college qb, has no touch on the ball, makes some bizarre decisions and is really inaccurate.

Jones must be a serious immature mental midget. After watching Barrett, it's clear why Urban so badly wanted Jones to win the job.

Jones must be a serious immature mental midget. After watching Barrett, it's clear why Urban so badly wanted Jones to win the job.
How long did you watch Barrett for, 12 minutes? He's a far better QB than Cardale. He's a much better runner, he executes the read-option far better, he's a far more accurate passer (due to much better footwork and throwing mechanics), and he makes much better throwing decisions than Jones. About the only thing Jones does better is be a large human being.

What college QB has ended their college career as a backup and done anything in the NFL?
Matt Cassell?
A.J. Feeley started part of one season for Oregon before being replaced by Joey Harrington. He ended up getting drafted in the 5th round and stuck around for an 11-year NFL career (which was longer than the combined careers of the two guys who had started ahead of him -- Harrington and Akili Smith).

Wherever he goes, he needs to sit, watch and learn. He's not even remotely close now to starting in the NFL. Hew had a shot for a complete season of experience at OSU and he didn't get it done. It would be a desperation pick if he went in the first round now.

Rotoworld:

Cardale Jones - QB - Buckeyes

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones tweeted Saturday night that his earlier "last time in The Show" tweet was being misinterpreted, warning fans not to "infer" his future plans.

"Last time walking down them steps and into The Shoe, wish the results were different tho," Jones tweeted shortly after the game. Many assumed this was a declaration for the draft. As we mentioned at the time, though, it's entirely possible that Jones intends to transfer as a graduate to another program next season. Seeing as though he's a raw and a backup on his own team, we'd encourage him to do so. The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has tremendous raw tools but could be a mere Day 3 developmental play if he opts into the 2016 draft. As for OSU, we already know Ezekiel Elliott will join him in leaving early along with (presumably) Joey Bosa. The Buckeyes also might lose underclassmen Michael Thomas (WR), Darron Lee (OLB), Eli Apple (CB) and Vonn Bell (SS).

Source: CBS Sports

Nov 22 - 1:12 PM

He doesn't have to go into the draft. Speculation is that he'll transfer to Houston to reunite with Herman.
Ok then...has a QB who lost the starting job ever transferred and become a success in the NFL?
I mean...how many times has such a scenario actually happened?
Russell Wilson?
He transferred, but not because he lost his job.
The new coach told Wilson that Mike Glennon was a better fit for the new offense. That's pretty much the same as losing his job.

He doesn't have to go into the draft. Speculation is that he'll transfer to Houston to reunite with Herman.
Ok then...has a QB who lost the starting job ever transferred and become a success in the NFL?
I mean...how many times has such a scenario actually happened?
Russell Wilson?
He transferred, but not because he lost his job.
He was told he wouldn't be competing for the job because he didn't fit the system. Even worse.

Rotoworld:

Cardale Jones - QB - Buckeyes

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones' situation is "fluid," according to Jason Cole, and the passer is still considering a graduate transfer.

On Dec. 30, Jones told reporters his loyalty was to Ohio State and he would not play for another program, adding he intends to enter the 2016 NFL Draft. Cole, however, has heard that Jones is only appeasing people at Ohio State, and is still mulling a transfer in the hopes of improving his stock. Jones has until Jan. 18 to make a decision. He is already 23 years old.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

Jan 1 - 11:01 AM

Could see Detroit using their 3rd round compensatory pick on him if he is still around. Stafford will be a UFA in 2018 and they have nobody behind him at the moment.

DallasDMac said:
Given how he looked this season, he has to be considered a huge project type QB at this point, no?
Obvious mouth watering physical potential but rumors are that Cardale carries off-field baggage related to a troubled upbringing and the fact he's got a ton of hangers-on who want him to cash-in so they can freeload. He's young and it appears he's getting advice from people with agendas.

If he makes it he is going to need time and the right environment to develop into a professional football player who is supposed to fill the role as the team leader.

I'm not sure what the specific personal 'issues' are but its easy to look up and his history with teams where he has had trouble fitting with coaches.

I would imagine some team's won't consider him in the early rounds but he is sure to blow up in workouts so someone will probably take a chance. I would think mid-to-late 3rd round or early 4th at the highest he go at this point but add that one slip up turns him into a free agent.

I think he's a long term developmental project.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior Cardale Jones denied a report that said the QB is still considering a graduate transfer to play for another school in 2016.

The report came from B/R's Jason Cole and it stated that Cardale's plans were "fluid," and that the quarterback is only appeasing people at Ohio State by not mentioning his uncertainty. After the school's bowl game, Cardale reiterated that he will be entering the draft and has already begun preparation.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

I'm always skeptical of the "I pulled my hammy" after they run a slow 40.  Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying that I don't like it and makes me question the players conditioning and whether they are tapping out after a bad performance.

On Sportscenter, ESPN's Todd McShay said that he believes that Ohio State QB Cardale Jones will be a Day 3 selection in the draft.
It's been a slow, slow dive for Jones since he burned down the universe in Ohio State's final three contests of 2014. Since leading the team to a title, the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder earned--and then lost--the starting gig for the 2015 season after leading the Buckeyes offense to inconsistent results. While he could have opted to transfer at the close of the campaign, he decided instead to just leap for the draft. On Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine, he pulled up lame with a hamstring injury during his second attempt at the 40-yard dash (he logged 4.83 seconds during his first run). As McShay notes, Jones now has just two months to not only heal up his hammy, but also prove to NFL teams that he has the chops to deliver. Unfortunately, Ohio State's Pro Day is scheduled for March 11, meaning it's possible that Jones will not even be healthy for that.

Feb 27 - 8:00 PM

Users who are viewing this thread