What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (2 Viewers)

Bills coach Sean McDermott said 2016 fourth-round QB Cardale Jones is "absolutely in the mix."

The coach cannot say anything else, but Jones looks to be on the outside looking in. Tyrod Taylor is locked in as the starter, T.J. Yates looks like the No. 2, and Nathan Peterman was just drafted this year. With former GM and Jones supporter Doug Whaley out the door, Jones appears likely to be let go at final cuts. Jun 15 - 11:47 AM

Source: Vic Carucci on Twitter

Chargers acquired QB Cardale Jones from the Bills for a conditional late-round pick.

The writing was on the wall after Jones saw limited offseason reps behind Tyrod Taylor, T.J. Yates, and Nate Peterman. He reunites with former OC Anthony Lynn in Los Angeles and should easily beat out Kellen Clemens as the backup to Philip Rivers. Jones is a raw project that struggled in his lone 2016 appearance, but this is another questionable move from Buffalo's front office. The Bills have a quarterback that was out of the league last year and an undersized fifth-round pick behind Taylor.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Faust said:
Chargers acquired QB Cardale Jones from the Bills for a conditional late-round pick.

The writing was on the wall after Jones saw limited offseason reps behind Tyrod Taylor, T.J. Yates, and Nate Peterman. He reunites with former OC Anthony Lynn in Los Angeles and should easily beat out Kellen Clemens as the backup to Philip Rivers. Jones is a raw project that struggled in his lone 2016 appearance, but this is another questionable move from Buffalo's front office. The Bills have a quarterback that was out of the league last year and an undersized fifth-round pick behind Taylor.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Schefter with some really questionable reporting lately, even by his standard.   

Schefter with some really questionable reporting lately, even by his standard.   
No faith in Shotgun?  OR  You think Buffalo is making good choices?   I know the Bills have made a lucky draft choice or two in the past several yrs..  But, I kinda think shifty is correct..  brief explanation for us ignorant folks?

No faith in Shotgun?  OR  You think Buffalo is making good choices?   I know the Bills have made a lucky draft choice or two in the past several yrs..  But, I kinda think shifty is correct..  brief explanation for us ignorant folks?
All Adam Schefter said on Twitter was:

"Buffalo is trading QB Cardale Jones to LA Chargers for a late-round pick. Chargers get a new potential backup QB".

The line which folks are objecting to is the presumption that he will "easily" beat out Clemens, but I don't think that came from Schefter.

Yes I think Buffalo is making a good choice by cutting bait and getting what they can.  No, I don't think Cardale will ever be a good pro QB.  Yes I think Clemens is a better choice as a backup.  I also think he is off base on Peterman, who I think can be a quality backup at a minimum with potential to be a lot more - more than Cardale is capable of at the very least.

Just my opinions, which granted are pretty strong, but then I'm not being paid by a network for them either.

Last edited by a moderator:
much appreciated   I'm still carrying Jones   I sorta began thinking Rivers replacement..  Cant listen too me on much!  dunno who Peterman even is :shrug:

Jones is raw.  I guess that he could be Rivers replacement but I do not see it.  Maybe we will know more after this season. 

All Adam Schefter said on Twitter was:

"Buffalo is trading QB Cardale Jones to LA Chargers for a late-round pick. Chargers get a new potential backup QB".

The line which folks are objecting to is the presumption that he will "easily" beat out Clemens, but I don't think that came from Schefter.
Correct. That is Rotoworld's added analysis. 

I thought Jones was worthy of a flyer, but it sucks that they took Jones over Prescott. Cardale has a cannon for an arm, but he can't read defenses and his accuracy is terrible. He struggled all last year and was CLEARLY much much worse than any of the other QBs during OTAs. Passes were landing nowhere near receivers with some of them being so off target that they were out of the playing area and the press there were laughing at how bad the throws were.

Any QB that is as inaccurate as Cardale has shown to be will never be a competent NFL QB. Not even worth a backup spot IMO. He was a boom or bust guy and he looks like a bust. You can't keep a guy like him as a backup. Yates or Peterman could be competent backup types at least. Game managers that could come in and manage the rest of a game and play one in a pinch.

Correct. That is Rotoworld's added analysis. 

I thought Jones was worthy of a flyer, but it sucks that they took Jones over Prescott. Cardale has a cannon for an arm, but he can't read defenses and his accuracy is terrible. He struggled all last year and was CLEARLY much much worse than any of the other QBs during OTAs. Passes were landing nowhere near receivers with some of them being so off target that they were out of the playing area and the press there were laughing at how bad the throws were.

Any QB that is as inaccurate as Cardale has shown to be will never be a competent NFL QB. Not even worth a backup spot IMO. He was a boom or bust guy and he looks like a bust. You can't keep a guy like him as a backup. Yates or Peterman could be competent backup types at least. Game managers that could come in and manage the rest of a game and play one in a pinch.
They didn't.  Dak was #135, Cardale #139.

They move to la and FINALLY, some sanity for their backup QB strategy. Having 34yo Kellen Clemens on the bench to ensure the team could go on that deep playoff run(!?) if Rivers ever got hurt has made absolutely no sense. Even if Cardale never makes it into an NFL game it's a better idea to see what he can develop into rather than just waiting for both Rivers and Clemens to retire at the same time and ensure yourself that you have NOTHING at QB. 

Good move by telesco. He usually waits until it's a year too late and then trades/drafts out of shear desperation to fill the obvious hole on his roster. It always seems like telesco is good for 2 good moves and 4 bad ones every offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread