What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Here are a couple articles that detail what studies estimate the actual number of infected people in Wuhan to be.  I'd say these numbers are more in line with how the Chinese are responding to the epidemic far more than the numbers that their government is reporting. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-31/study-estimates-actual-coronavirus-case-count-in-wuhan-may-be-near-76-000

https://www.ccn.com/bombshell-study-estimates-75800-individuals-affected-coronavirus-wuhan/
I wouldn't be at all surprised.  An ancillary effect would be to downgrade whatever mortality figure you are working with significantly.

Water

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 
Ordered the BOB. Living in South Florida it would also be useful for hurricane season.

Have an emergency call. During the Superbowl to decide wtf to do. This thing can go #### itself.   

What do you do? Why can’t it happen earlier?
We just evac a ton of people and it's hard to consult if you don't actually have people there and hard to make money if china isn't doing anything.  

The read is from where I'm at is we won't put anybody back till 2Q.  

This has potential to just upend everything if china keeps the CNY going and you can't fly there. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I've said repeatedly I likely don't see this being a huge issue here in the states. But ya never know. 

That said I personally set aside 6 weeks of stuff not because of this breakout, but for the next one that maybe has MERS kill rate but this spread rate. Or for when the New Madrid Faust finally breaks free and smokes our public services for a few weeks (or more). Or for any number of instances. Cheap easy insurance out of sight in the corner of a closet.

Like I said, not for everyone. If you consider that "full on prepper... boy have I got a show for you :lol:   

Regarding only wrecking boomers... pretty sure we are all older than several of the fatalities. ;)  
there's nothing wrong with being prepared for bad things.  It doesn't really cost that much.  At the end of the day, I'd much rather have stuff I don't need than need stuff I don't have.  

not a response to [icon], just adding to his post:

IIRC, FEMA says everyone should be prepared to survive for 72 hours without services.  They assume that after a major disaster (hurricane, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc), they will eventually have emergency services in place, but it may take up to 3 days for that to happen.  That's the bare minimum level of preparedness everyone should have.  going beyond that is a personal choice but again, I'd prefer to be ready for more.

I've gone 2+ weeks without power after a hurricane several times.  I have an idea what it's like.  It's not fun, but it is doable.

here's the bare minimum I ask my wife and family to do: if you think something is about to go down, keep your gas tank full.  When things went bad after the hurricanes, everyone was using generators to keep their fridges going.  Unfortunately, the gas stations at the time didn't have generator back-ups so there was no way to get more gas, even if the refineries were running and their trucks could make it in.  

Gasoline becomes the most valuable commodity because in addition to generators, gasoline meant the ability to travel to somewhere where supplies were not scarce.  

I don't think I'm being to prepper paranoid by simply asking everyone to fill 'er up if it drops below 1/2 a tank.  All I'm saying is that you don't want to be the guy running on fumes if the gas stations run down.  And, it's not like you aren't going to use the gas anyways.

I'll take a break here and, at the risk of being mocked by the usual crowd, I'll offer a few tips for those wanting their families to be prepared for this in the unlikely event it becomes an issue here. 

IF this or any contagion becomes widespread here, the most likely Suggested response will be to shelter in place. 

While that doesn't sound like a huge deal, there will be an epic run on stores. Bottled water and non perishable food items will be impossible to find. Resupply/distribution channels will likely not be operating at full capacity. Being at least somewhat ready in advance will eliminate a lot of that panicked dash for resources. 

You'll need: 
Food (~1.5k to 2k cal/day per person) 
Water (~1gal/day per person)
Disinfectants (Bleach/etc to clean when returning home) 
Heat source (Gas Grill, camp stove, sterno, fire pit... to boil water / cook food)
Medication (Normal meds plus stuff like Imodium, Advil, etc). 

There's a good chance public utilities (water, power) will stay online in this scenario... but it's better to be ready for them to go down for periods.

Food
Freeze dried foods from companies like Mountain House have huge shelf life and are reasonably tasty. It can get expensive relying solely on these.

Stuff like powdered eggs and oatmeal w honey make great breakfasts that store for ages. A 25lb bag of rice is $9. Stores good on its own. BUT, if sealed in 1gal Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers ($15) and thrown in a 5 gal bucket it can last decades. Rice on its own gets old fast. But dump a ($2) can of beef stew or soup over it and you're stretching food stocks a lot. Ramen + canned chicken breast. Etc. 

Some folks talk about dried beans but IMO they are a PITA and require a ####load of h20. If you're a hardcore prepper storing food for a year+? Sure. For most folks who just wanna ride out a month or two if needed... no thanks. 

I have 45 days of food in the corner of a closet. Takes up about as much space as a mini fridge. Out of sight, but it's there. Cost a couple hundred bucks. Goal is either stuff that will last decade(s) or stuff you will eat periodically and replenish w fresh stuff.

Water

Bottled water is solid but keep it at room temp or less and out of sunlight. Takes up space though. One nice "hack" is a Water BOB.  Store under the sink. IF an emergency hits that might jeopardize the water supply, lay it in the tub and fill it up. 70-100 gallons of potable water on tap and good for 4 months. Enough to last a family of 4 a good 3 weeks in concert with a few cases of bottled drinking water. They're a godsend for folks in Hurricane zones. Minimizes having a ton of crap stored away too. 

Not going to bore with details on the rest, but If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to help.

NOT suggesting everyone needs to do this. I know most folks won't. That's cool. Some may be curious so this might help. 
Great. We've gone full apocalyptic prepper here. :rolleyes:   You want to share your guns and ammo stockpile while you're at it?

I thought preppers were more worried about an EPMD pulse blast? Now they're jumping on the virus bandwagon?

Pick a team.

I thought preppers were more worried about an EPMD pulse blast? Now they're jumping on the virus bandwagon?
When my wife watches shows about the end of the world, I've always said a runaway virus was the most likely eventuality. Given our proclivity to pump ourselves full of meds at the first sign of a sniffle, it is/was only a matter of time before one of those microscopic boogers mutates to the point of being totally resistant.

When my wife watches shows about the end of the world, I've always said a runaway virus was the most likely eventuality. Given our proclivity to pump ourselves full of meds at the first sign of a sniffle, it is/was only a matter of time before one of those microscopic boogers mutates to the point of being totally resistant.
I'd lean AI taking over the world or nuclear blasts all over.

Just spent the past couple of days with my dad in ICU after emergency surgery, so particularly sensitive to how this might play with the older set. A little less funny since it hits close to home. Have elderly grandparents (90s) whom aren’t going to live forever, but I wouldn’t want to go out on something like this, and they have an especially hard time dealing with day-to-day living without more challenges. 
I don’t mean to derail the thread but my thoughts and prayers to you, dad and the family.   Hopefully the surgery went as well as possible.  

Here are a couple articles that detail what studies estimate the actual number of infected people in Wuhan to be.  I'd say these numbers are more in line with how the Chinese are responding to the epidemic far more than the numbers that their government is reporting. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-31/study-estimates-actual-coronavirus-case-count-in-wuhan-may-be-near-76-000

https://www.ccn.com/bombshell-study-estimates-75800-individuals-affected-coronavirus-wuhan/
At least this would indicate the mortality rate is well under the reports.  Brings it marginally higher than a regular flu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting some indication factories and things outside the really hot zones will get rolling 2/10.  Maybe.

At least this would indicate the mortality rate is well under the reports.  Brings it marginally higher than a regular flu.
How so? You're going to assume that the fatality numbers the Chinese government is releasing are accurate?  No way that a country like China would effectively shut itself down for weeks on end, and quarantine some of its largest cities for a disease that has a mortality rate marginally higher than the flu.   This thing is bad--we'll never know the number of fatalities and thus we'll never know the true mortality rate.  

How so? You're going to assume that the fatality numbers the Chinese government is releasing are accurate?  No way that a country like China would effectively shut itself down for weeks on end, and quarantine some of its largest cities for a disease that has a mortality rate marginally higher than the flu.   This thing is bad--we'll never know the number of fatalities and thus we'll never know the true mortality rate.  
The incubation period/asymptomatic transmission is enough cause to take extreme precautions. You seem to be in a hurry to get the world in a panic.

The incubation period/asymptomatic transmission is enough cause to take extreme precautions. You seem to be in a hurry to get the world in a panic.
I'm not in a hurry for anything.  I'm just implementing common sense.  It's not debatable--the Chinese have lied about this disease every step of the way. Experts in studying disease are saying that the number of infected are significantly higher than what they are reporting. I choose to trust the experts more than I trust a dictatorial government that has lied every step of the way.   That's not creating panic--thats being objective and realistic. 

I feel a sore throat coming on and we're getting ready to hop on a plane to go to Florida this Thursday.  My fear is one of us will get a normal sickness and not be allowed to fly.

With all due respect, this post doesn't make you look terribly bright. 

:unsure:
Can't joke anymore? Prepping is serious business I guess?

Eta: With all due respect, my post was obviously made in jest. Your reaction to it doesn't make you look terribly bright.

Maybe I should have worn a mask while traveling after all. Developed a nasty hacking cough over night. In addition to traveling, including two short layovers between Austin and West Palm in Harts-field-Jackson (one flight in an International Terminal,) I also spent two days in hospital waiting areas in Boca. So pretty much nice knowing you boys, I’m presently deleting my browsing history while making a last ditch effort to save myself with a Trader Joe’s detox tea. Will it be enough though?
@Mr. Ham> wait!

Let's talk statistics.  We are now well into this thing and have >300 cases with 1 fatality outside china.  

You have 10000 cases in China with 300 odd fatalities.

Why the mismatch?  Options I see:

1.  China is severely under-reporting the numbers infected and the fatality rate is actually in the 0.1% range.
  2. China facilities are completely overwhelmed and the fatality rate is spiraling due to the quality of care
  3. It takes far longer to survive than the two weeks previously reported.
  4. ???

Great. We've gone full apocalyptic prepper here. :rolleyes:   You want to share your guns and ammo stockpile while you're at it?
:lol:  

The federal government advises every family have food/water supplies for 72 hours of shut in. I've stretched it 6 weeks to be safe. It's a small corner of my guest room closet about the size of a micro fridge. If you think that makes me a "Full on apocalyptic prepper" then you don't get out much :lmao:  

Hypothetically a situation like what China is dealing with surfaces here and you've got to lock down at your home for ~3 weeks. What's your plan? Run to the grocery store and brave worse-than-black-friday crowds grab some food? You already prepared for that? Or just don't think it could happen? Not being a smartass, sincere question. 

Can't joke anymore? Prepping is serious business I guess?

Eta: With all due respect, my post was obviously made in jest. Your reaction to it doesn't make you look terribly bright.
I blame the superbowl hangover for the poorly calibrated sarcasm detector. My apologies GB 

:lol:  

The federal government advises every family have food/water supplies for 72 hours of shut in. I've stretched it 6 weeks to be safe. It's a small corner of my guest room closet about the size of a micro fridge. If you think that makes me a "Full on apocalyptic prepper" then you don't get out much :lmao:  

Hypothetically a situation like what China is dealing with surfaces here and you've got to lock down at your home for ~3 weeks. What's your plan? Run to the grocery store and brave worse-than-black-friday crowds grab some food? You already prepared for that? Or just don't think it could happen? Not being a smartass, sincere question. 

Not even close to being worried about it.

Let's talk statistics.  We are now well into this thing and have >300 cases with 1 fatality outside china.  

You have 10000 cases in China with 300 odd fatalities.

Why the mismatch?  Options I see:

1.  China is severely under-reporting the numbers infected and the fatality rate is actually in the 0.1% range.
  2. China facilities are completely overwhelmed and the fatality rate is spiraling due to the quality of care
  3. It takes far longer to survive than the two weeks previously reported.
  4. ???
1. While it's entirely possible that China is under-reporting the deaths, they're almost certainly under-reporting the case count.  This thing has been brewing since mid-December.  They have no idea how many have it and don't have testing capacity to find out.

2. I think this is a big one.  A Chinese hospital in the red-zone might be the worst place to be right now.  Which then plays into #1 and the under-reported cases.  Sick people might be staying home if they're not in critical condition.

3. No idea.

4. Fecal-oral transmission.  I'm curious about the differences in socitial hygiene between central China and the West.  Along this route, I think overwhelmed hospitals in the red-zone might struggle with contamination control.

Anyway, I'm rooting for the global community to figure this out.  This week is big.  If we start seeing exported outbreaks...

Users who are viewing this thread