What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

gianmarco said:
Why Are Americans Still—Still!—Posting About Wearing Cloth Masks?
Honestly, I’m tired of this.  I am fully vaxed.  Would LOVE to be eligible for any and all boosters, but currently the booster is only eligible for people with known Comorbidities.  I HATE wearing masks.  I can’t stand having my nose and mouth covered.  At the same time, I have no desire to catch C19, so I wear my mask (plus it’s required in Japan).  That said, I will continually complain about masking.  I HATE IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
Not sure if this was a typo but yeah - I’ve been harping on the mask debate for months now.  It’s dumb but I guess I think it’s dumb because I understand both sides of the “debate” - the idea of something is better than nothing and it’s a courtesy versus it being such a (relatively) small risk increase.  I also think it annoys me because around here it’s not even a debate any more - we ditched masking a while back and unless there’s a much worse variant than Delta I don’t see things ever changing.
Made this comment before, but it’s shocking how much regional variation exists in approach to the pandemic.

A good percentage of people here wear masks outside, for example.

Honestly, I’m tired of this.  I am fully vaxed.  Would LOVE to be eligible for any and all boosters, but currently the booster is only eligible for people with known Comorbidities.  I HATE wearing masks.  I can’t stand having my nose and mouth covered.  At the same time, I have no desire to catch C19, so I wear my mask (plus it’s required in Japan).  That said, I will continually complain about masking.  I HATE IT!
I went to a Latino festival with my wife and kids in the big park near my house this last weekend. We passed by the City Health Department truck and they were giving out covid vaccines (but not flu shots... I asked).  After we told them we were vaccinated and the kids weren't eligible, the health worker asked if we wanted a booster.  We said, "no, we're not eligible." But the lady was very insistent that it didn't matter.  My wife, the one that works in public health research, was dismayed.  We didn't get the booster and likely won't until the CDC recommends it for our age and health status.

While I'm glad the Health Dept is reaching out into the community to get shots in arms, those doses are better used in other countries instead of giving boosters to 40 year olds in seemingly good health. 

I went to a Latino festival with my wife and kids in the big park near my house this last weekend. We passed by the City Health Department truck and they were giving out covid vaccines (but not flu shots... I asked).  After we told them we were vaccinated and the kids weren't eligible, the health worker asked if we wanted a booster.  We said, "no, we're not eligible." But the lady was very insistent that it didn't matter.  My wife, the one that works in public health research, was dismayed.  We didn't get the booster and likely won't until the CDC recommends it for our age and health status.

While I'm glad the Health Dept is reaching out into the community to get shots in arms, those doses are better used in other countries instead of giving boosters to 40 year olds in seemingly good health. 
What countries are lacking supply that we are hoarding?  

We have committed like 600 million doses to other countries, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

Who Is Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot?

Updated Sept. 30, 2021

What You Need to Know

COVID-19 Vaccine booster shots are available for the following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipients who completed their initial series at least 6 months ago and are:

65 years and older

Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings

Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions

Age 18+ who work in high-risk settings

Age 18+ who live in high-risk settings

Updated Sept. 30, 2021

What You Need to Know

COVID-19 Vaccine booster shots are available for the following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipients who completed their initial series at least 6 months ago and are:

65 years and older

Is living with two kids in school considered high risk, given the petri dishes of classrooms? (Im kidding) 

Good news is my kid just got a negative covid result. Just a bad cold that hit both boys:  cough, sore throat, severe congestion, and fever.  Gonna be a fun year — only one month into school!

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Oh man, fully vaccinated too?  Sorry for your loss.  This is scary.  :(  

Yes, both mom and step dad fully vaxxed w/ Moderna when it first was approved. 

Sucks, my step dad couldn't even go to the funeral home to make arrangements yet, as he was positive last week as well.  Today was the earliest they could get him in for a test, so hopefully he can get results in the next day or so to meet with them.  While he was able to get a majority of things started over the phone, still wants to meet with them in person to finalize everything. 

Honestly with the wide approval for boosters (that I didn’t agree with) if you got Pfizer and are 6 months out, you’re probably eligible. Almost everyone who had their second dose by early April meets the age, health condition or occupational exposure.

Does everyone that is eligible need it? Probably not and some won’t see much benefit from it. But if they want it, I’ll give it to them. I’d much rather be giving their dose to someone needing a 1st or 2nd dose or to younger children but we can take care of them too.

I’d much rather those doses go out to other countries but that’s not a decision I make at the pharmacy level, nor is it one that the county or even state has the power to make. So when those vaccines are available to us and we have eligible people asking to get them, we’re gonna give them. With boosters for Moderna and J&J on the horizon soon there will be even more people wanting the booster that don’t need it and I don’t have much issue with it as long as it doesn’t interfere with those who need it more. I wasn’t going to get mine but we had extra doses and I was getting my flu shot already.

I wasn’t going to get mine but we had extra doses and I was getting my flu shot already.
If you know the supply and they would expire then he choice seems obvious.  I also don't know why the same group doing COVID vaccines couldn't also do flu shots.  I mean, I understand why because of the costs, health insurance, etc. but it's dumb not to combine covid booster and flu shot.

Has the moderna booster been recommended yet?

Is Pfizer still ~ after 6 months?  My daughter was in June so most likely won't get her a booster at all as of now, just not sure what the current status is

If you know the supply and they would expire then he choice seems obvious.  I also don't know why the same group doing COVID vaccines couldn't also do flu shots.  I mean, I understand why because of the costs, health insurance, etc. but it's dumb not to combine covid booster and flu shot.
Yeah it definitely makes sense to have the flu shot but I think billing is the issue. COVID shots are owned by the government and free regardless of insurance coverage. Flu shot inventory has to be paid for and billed. Partnering with a pharmacy could accomplish that.

Has the moderna booster been recommended yet?

Is Pfizer still ~ after 6 months?  My daughter was in June so most likely won't get her a booster at all as of now, just not sure what the current status is
Just Pfizer so far. They’re meeting next week to discuss Moderna, J&J and mixing vaccines.

Made this comment before, but it’s shocking how much regional variation exists in approach to the pandemic.

A good percentage of people here wear masks outside, for example.

Obviously restaurants and several other business are requiring staff to wear masks but mask wearing around here is at best 10-20% and that's probably being generous.  School was fully in person LAST YEAR - I don't think remote school is even a thought any more.  We are still hovering around 50% vaccinated.  I think one part of this that can't be overemphasized is that in the Bible belt there is a decent amount of "God will take care of me/heal me and if he doesn't it was just my time or God's will".  We also have the macho guys - "I don't get sick and if I do I'll be fine".

Two Israeli studies of COVID-induced myocarditis were posted this evening on the New England Journal website.

Israeli Ministry of Health data: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2109730?query=featured_home

Clalit Health Services data: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110737?query=featured_home

Incidence of COVID-induced myocarditis in both datasets was very low. 54 cases out of 2.5 million people in Clalit and 136 cases out of 5.1 million people in IMoH. The incidence rate in the IMoH study was higher in the population that had two doses of the vaccine than in the unvaccinated population; not sure if that comparison was made in the Clalit data. Most cases were in young males, consistent with previous data. Almost all cases were mild or moderate. There was one death from fulminant myocarditis in the IMoH database. As mentioned earlier in this thread, almost all Israelis got the Pfizer vaccine. 

I don't see anything in there that says this is a reason not to get the vaccine. 

Obviously restaurants and several other business are requiring staff to wear masks but mask wearing around here is at best 10-20% and that's probably being generous.  School was fully in person LAST YEAR - I don't think remote school is even a thought any more.  We are still hovering around 50% vaccinated.  I think one part of this that can't be overemphasized is that in the Bible belt there is a decent amount of "God will take care of me/heal me and if he doesn't it was just my time or God's will".  We also have the macho guys - "I don't get sick and if I do I'll be fine".
Singapore is over 80% vaxxed.  Their number of infected are higher than ever before.  I think they said 50% are vaxxed people.  

The vaxx doesn’t prevent infection.  But the shot can save your life if not previously infected.  This is where we are at.  Second shot from Moderna is on hold in Sweden and Denmark for males under 30.  Adjust accordingly.

Just Pfizer so far. They’re meeting next week to discuss Moderna, J&J and mixing vaccines.
It's kind of known with certainty that mixing COVID vaccines is totally fine, isn't it? It would shock the heck out of researchers if it caused any kind of real problem.

It's kind of known with certainty that mixing COVID vaccines is totally fine, isn't it? It would shock the heck out of researchers if it caused any kind of real problem.
Right, it’s all about showing benefits of a combo, I don’t think safety is even a concern. In the pharmacy world we’re restricted by the official protocols which need strong data to get approved. I’m already planning booster clinics for Moderna and J&J because I think at least mix and match will get approved for both.

@Biff84

@gianmarco

@Terminalxylem

Should I get booster now? I have to admit I'm a bit hesitant due to all the mixed messages. Im a few weeks past 6 months since Pfizer shot 2. The only risk I have is my BMI is 30. Im 43 years old. No other health conditions. I understand "theres no harm" but is there any benefit at this time? Should I wait a few months?

Dezbelief said:

Updated Sept. 30, 2021

What You Need to Know

65 years and older

The majority of Americans have comorbidities which includes obesity so most qualify as having an underlying health condition.

@Biff84

@gianmarco

@Terminalxylem

Should I get booster now? I have to admit I'm a bit hesitant due to all the mixed messages. Im a few weeks past 6 months since Pfizer shot 2. The only risk I have is my BMI is 30. Im 43 years old. No other health conditions. I understand "theres no harm" but is there any benefit at this time? Should I wait a few months?
+/- IMO. Unless you work in a high risk occupation, or hang out with a bunch of vulnerable people.

But I wouldn’t fault you for getting it. While you’re mulling it over, I’d figure out a weight loss plan.

IC FBGCav said:
The vaxx doesn’t prevent infection.  But the shot can save your life if not previously infected.  This is where we are at.  Second shot from Moderna is on hold in Sweden and Denmark for males under 30.  Adjust accordingly.

The second shot or booster?

Does the booster make you feel sick? Does it matter if I had no side effects from either the 1st or 2nd shot?
I was mildly under the weather for about 24 hours after shot #3.  For reference, I had no side effects that I can recall after shot #1, and I was moderately sick for about 12 hours after shot #2.  For me personally, the third shot was in the middle.

Does the booster make you feel sick? Does it matter if I had no side effects from either the 1st or 2nd shot?
I had negligible side effects from the first two shots, but felt run down for a couple days following the booster. Nothing terrible, just chills and fatigue.

My wife had even less side effects from the booster, and I’ve yet to hear a coworker complain that they had severe SEs.

I had no real reaction to the first 2 (about what I do to a flu shot), but I felt like doodoo the next day after the 3rd.  No fever or chills, just an overall lethargic/blah feeling.  Went away about 24 hours after the shot.

@Biff84

@gianmarco

@Terminalxylem

Everything i have read says wait until 8 months.  Im immunocompromised so i could have gotten mine at 6 months.  But my doc says wait.  Plus im in a study that tracks antibodies and they are still high(its not just the antibodies that indicate protection though).  So, ill wait until 8 months so that the 3rd dose is effective for longer. 

So imo if no significant health risks i think you can wait.  If you did have those risks i would defer to your doctor. 

Well, it's definitely news, since these two countries just limited access to the vaccine for part of the population.

And also Finland just did the same.

That part is news.  But the side-effect is not. The study didn't show anything that wasn't already assumed/known, or am I missing something there?

That part is news.  But the side-effect is not. The study didn't show anything that wasn't already assumed/known, or am I missing something there?
I have no idea. But it's significant to me in that Nordic countries are limiting the vaccine to younger people at the same time California is mandating it. That's quite a wide divergence. 

Well I got both the flu shot and booster today. Pharmacist says he's been doing them nonstop. 

When I asked the pharmacist if I'll get worse side effects getting both at same time he said not at all, the covid booster is essentially the same as the flu shot just a stronger dose.

Catch you on the flip side #####es 

I have no idea. But it's significant to me in that Nordic countries are limiting the vaccine to younger people at the same time California is mandating it. That's quite a wide divergence. 
They aren't limiting all vaccines for under 30, only moderna.   Much like Pfizer for 16 year olds.   While yes it surprising and a little "concerning", all vaccines aren't being stopped.  Just under 30 will get Pfizer in Finland.

Denmark said that, while it used the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine as its main option for people aged 12-17 years, it had decided to pause giving the Moderna vaccine to people below 18 according to a "precautionary principle".  The US never approved moderna for under 18 shrug

Well I got both the flu shot and booster today. Pharmacist says he's been doing them nonstop. 

When I asked the pharmacist if I'll get worse side effects getting both at same time he said not at all, the covid booster is essentially the same as the flu shot just a stronger dose.

Catch you on the flip side #####es 
Similar experience here. But just got the flu shot.  Booster next month.  Guy said they are slammed with vaccinations of both kinds.

On the booster he said people are having similar reactions to how they reacted to shot #2.

Similar experience here. But just got the flu shot.  Booster next month.  Guy said they are slammed with vaccinations of both kinds.

On the booster he said people are having similar reactions to how they reacted to shot #2.
So far I'm 10 hours post booster and feel perfectly fine which is how I felt after #2

Well, I tested positive for Covid a few hours ago. I’m sleeping in the basement away from the family and will just hang here for a week or more. Yesterday afternoon I noticed a runny nose and very slight cough by the evening. Low grade fever right now and occasional cough and some body aches. So far, not so bad. Let’s hope this vaccine keeps me above ground!

Vaccinated April 1 with J&J.

So far I'm 10 hours post booster and feel perfectly fine which is how I felt after #2
Spoke too soon. Woke up at 4am feeling a little achy. Took some Motrin and fell asleep once it kicked in. Feel much better now except I am fatigued. Unfortunately, I have to go coach my son's travel team tonight so gonna power through it but would love to take a nap right now lol. Hopefully feel better by tomorrow.

Jobber said:
Well, I tested positive for Covid a few hours ago. I’m sleeping in the basement away from the family and will just hang here for a week or more. Yesterday afternoon I noticed a runny nose and very slight cough by the evening. Low grade fever right now and occasional cough and some body aches. So far, not so bad. Let’s hope this vaccine keeps me above ground!

Vaccinated April 1 with J&J.
Good luck man. Kick Covid’s ###!

Right, it’s all about showing benefits of a combo, I don’t think safety is even a concern. In the pharmacy world we’re restricted by the official protocols which need strong data to get approved. I’m already planning booster clinics for Moderna and J&J because I think at least mix and match will get approved for both.

Having gotten the Pfizer shot 1&2 in the spring, been waiting to see if there is any benefit to looking for a Moderna version for the booster over just sticking with Pfizer. Not quite due yet, so just waiting on the science to say one way or the other. I may not end up having much choice though, I don't see many (if any) places offering Moderna around my area anyways. I thought I'd read at one point they thought there might be broader immune response by mixing it up, but I feel like they walked that back a bit since then.

Also also watching to see if they decide to release a separate booster rather than a 3rd shot that is the same as the previous two (i.e. to better target some of the variants). But feels like that is 1) not necessary so far and 2) probably a ways out cause it'd need more testing.

Users who are viewing this thread