What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

I was hugely anti Cruise but got dragged on one with the folks for their 70th bday. Can't say no. 

Celebrity Equinox: 2850 passengers / 1250 staff. 
It was badass. Beautiful Ship. Waited on hand and foot. Each night at dinner had Head Waiter, 2 assistant waiters, sommelier, and a cocktail waitress. Same staff all trip. Cabin steward was ridiculous. Somehow knew when we were gone (barely saw him) but every time we left and came back the place was spotless with everything folded and stacked neatly. Bartenders around the ship knew your name by day 2. Zero kids on the ship. Food was surprisingly very good (and I'm a food snob). 

Probably sucks miserably on lines like Carnival with Cousin Eddies and screaming kids everywhere while eating Bob Evans caliber chow. 
We mix in a cruise a year for the kids.  Nice relatively cheap way to get to the Caribbean/Mexico in late December.  We've done Disney, Carnival, and RC.  This year we went with another family.  Everyone had a great time except 1.  She spent most of the cruise in her room, then said she didn't enjoy it because there wasn't anything to do. 

I honestly think people that don't enjoy cruises just dont want to enjoy cruises. 

Tencent May Have Accidentally Leaked Real Infection & Death Numbers

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

😲

EDIT: PROBABLY FAKE, but a fun read anyhow

Last edited by a moderator:
I never did see the sun when I was in Wuhan.  It wasn't like that, but it was pretty close.  

I just got back from a trade show in Orlando that typically has a very large Asian presence. This year about 50-60% of the Chinese booths were empty because of various travel regulations. We have a very close relationship with a Korean company and I was discussing the virus with them. Virtually everyone there has no faith in the numbers China is reporting and actually the numbers sited in this article feel like much closer to reality than what they are telling the world.

Oddly enough the first reported case in South Korea was reported yesterday. The adopted travel restrictions early but they also have a very large Chinese population in the Seoul/Incheon area as well as being fairly close, would have thought they would have had some one fall ill by now.

Yeah. While I don't believe the official numbers at all, I also find it hard to believe the real death numbers are THAT bad already. Infection... probably. 

A 16% kill rate on a virus that has hardly killed anyone outside of China would be tough to explain. Granted, quality of care is different, how long they've been infected is way different, etc.... but still. 

Most disturbing info from above is if those tencent numbers are accurate. >16% mortality rate.

Nothing solid to indicate they are true, other than they seem far more plausible given what’s been released given the massive containment response. 
Exported cases aren't showing anything close to that.

What is realistic next stage panic level?

I'm assuming people dropping dead in the US is going to move the panic needle.

What is realistic next stage panic level?

I'm assuming people dropping dead in the US is going to move the panic needle.
Yeah IMO things that will start freaking people out: 

1) Someone in their town tests positive, or for those in bigger cities: multiple people. 

2) A cluster of infected breaks out due to a tainted restaurant, event, flight etc. 

3) Multiple people start dying anywhere in the country. 

IMO at that point you'll start seeing the beginnings of the run on canned goods, bottled water, etc.

Masks are already pretty hard to find but whatever is left will start to get bought up. 

Likely an increase in xenophobia toward Asians. 

Then, when the media starts reporting that there Is a run on supplies, that will exacerbate the run on supplies. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the book "The Stand." I think it may be a peek into the future. Not now but there's bound to be a virus coming that's going to really raise alarm bells. 

jvdesigns2002 said:
You trust the stats that the Chinese government is releasing more than you do our CDC?  You think countries shut down air travel, rail travel, bordering countries shut down their borders, giant hospitals are built in a matter of days, sports arenas are being used as make shift hospitals due to something similar to the flu?  You think a country shuts down it’s entire economy for weeks for a disease that is similar to the flu?  Can we all just drop the flu comparisons as it’s insulting and ridiculous and defies the existence of common sense. I seriously don’t understand why smart people choose to be naive when there is a mountain of evidence showing how serious something is. 
No offense, but is there a string in your back?  Many of your posts in this thread repeat this point.  I think it's well established at this point.

No offense, but is there a string in your back?  Many of your posts in this thread repeat this point.  I think it's well established at this point.
No offense taken—and just a heads up—I will keep repeating myself if people keep making comparisons to the flu about a disease that is clearly far more worrisome than the flu.  That comparison has been brought up several times in this thread and you didn’t seem to point that out.   It’d be nice to see some people here actually take a disease that is killing lots of people seriously as opposed to joking about hippos being more lethal than it.   I assure you that if any friends or relatives of anybody in this forum gets infected or passes away from this disease—there are going to be lots of people that regret joking around about it.  

No offense taken—and just a heads up—I will keep repeating myself if people keep making comparisons to the flu about a disease that is clearly far more worrisome than the flu.  That comparison has been brought up several times in this thread and you didn’t seem to point that out.   It’d be nice to see some people here actually take a disease that is killing lots of people seriously as opposed to joking about hippos being more lethal than it.   I assure you that if any friends or relatives of anybody in this forum gets infected or passes away from this disease—there are going to be lots of people that regret joking around about it.  
serious business

jfc, man ... how close? 

near Milwaukee? Sheboygan? Furley?

stay as vigilant as possible, gb ... godspeed to you all out there!
Report was that it's at the uw in Madison.  I am about 15min outside of Madison.  Restaurant I work at is busy and on the interstate, so we get people traveling all over.  

Users who are viewing this thread